• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Geoff Keighley

The Game Awards Mastermind
Verified
Nov 12, 2017
BvWeo6I.jpg

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I get that, but I fail to see how this is more important to me as a gamer than E3 which has tons of game announcements.

UE5 is cool for game developers and tech enthusiasts, but for an ordinary player such as myself, not so much..

These are the tools that at least 50% of your gaming experiences for the next ten years will be built on.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I have never said that developers or even Epic shouldn't be excited about PS5 hardware. My only point was that Epic themselves as a multiplatform engine developer would likely not be doing this reveal talking mostly about PS5 if there wasn't some type of marketing arrangement, as that just seems like bad business for who they are. But that doesn't say anything of course about what is or isn't real with anything here either.
Epic and Sony have showcased each new generation of Unreal Engine since 3 on ps3, so this was expected.

But you can be sure that Ms is also working with them, which is why they even have a game in production debuting many of the same features the ue5 demo showcased.

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
I have never said that developers or even Epic shouldn't be excited about PS5 hardware. My only point was that Epic themselves as a multiplatform engine developer would likely not be doing this reveal talking mostly about PS5 if there wasn't some type of marketing arrangement, as that just seems like bad business for who they are. But that doesn't say anything of course about what is or isn't real with anything here either.
Epic is just showing support to Sony's vision in this case. As I said, they're working together for a long time. If can be a marketing deal? Sure. But that's not the only reason.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Epic said they support current gen hardware, too /s
Again, even when asked they didn't use the word Xbox at all. This is not excitement for one platform, this is the result of a deal. Mind, they are not mutually exclusive but that doesn't mean they are not excited for the other platform, it's the deal they made to not talk about it.
Except a developer in here has already exclusively praised the PS5 without a single word of praise for the XSX. Clearly somethings not right

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Anybody knocking XSX or turning this into warring makes me sad haha. Just be excited today. Some people are excited about PS5 and UE5 and video games. XSX is gonna be just fine.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Epic said they support current gen hardware, too /s
Again, even when asked they didn't use the word Xbox at all. This is not excitement for one platform, this is the result of a deal. Mind, they are not mutually exclusive but that doesn't mean they are not excited for the other platform, it's the deal they made to not talk about it.
The marketing deal is evident.

As evident as are the specs difference between the two next-gen consoles.

Any PS5 multiplatform title would basically run identical or slightly better on XSX, and this obviously includes anything UE5.

May 24, 2019
Taking a closer look at the water itself, it looks like the least impressive system of the demo so far. I really hope we get better water simulation than that. Something like this:

The water looked like it was doing a similar sort of temporal construction thing that made Uncharted 4's water look gross to me.

When more games will be revealed this will go in the pile of takes that didn't age well.

You wont see these features anytime soon. The engine will only available at the end of 2021. We're gonna have UE4 games for years.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody knocking XSX or turning this into warring makes me sad haha. Just be excited today. Some people are excited about PS5 and UE5 and video games. XSX is gonna be just fine.

Can I be skeptical like I am about all things? There isn't one tech I don't question, and until I get answers I won't stop.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Looks reeeeeeeal good. I'm excited to see what big teams will pull off with this engine.

For me the most exciting thing about the engine updates Epic announced today for Unreal 5 is that the mid size or even smaller teams can make even more immersive games without having to have huge game budgets, as almost any AAA giant team can use various engine tech to get something close to a certain level.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah water was pretty meh in the demo. Maybe thats why its set in a desert lol.

I wonder if the water tech Sea of Thieves uses can be easily imported to UE5.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
They will look incredible, easily above anything you've seen in cyberpunk, i'm a fan of that game but there's a combination of different technology going on in that demo that has yet to be revealed and then some! you'll see more later this week as they said, but it's truly only scratching the surface.
excellent.

we need some compare/contrast examples to fully appreciate.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
They will look incredible, easily above anything you've seen in cyberpunk, i'm a fan of that game but there's a combination of different technology going on in that demo that has yet to be revealed and then some! you'll see more later this week as they said, but it's truly only scratching the surface.

Yeah I really don't know, because its impossible to compare a corridor with an open world in terms of assets, but I expect it'll at least be better on UE5 than Cyberpunk 2077 when all that is fully implemented.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Yes please, i have the same problem, i cant find a way to download a 4K version to play it on the Oled tv :(
If not, no worries. But if so, many thanks ahead of time!

Filesharing.com - Send & Share Large Files Online - Up to 1GB Free Filehosting

Filesharing.com is the simplest way to send your files around the world. Share large files with a Filehosting Transfer up to 1GB free. Filesharing made easy!
Here's a link to download a 4K Vimeo video. Hopefully it survives long enough for you to get it - but I can re-upload it if it dies, just let me know.

Oct 26, 2017
That makes it even worse if strictly speaking about PS3 games. Why bring up PS3 games to prove a point about PS5? lol someone in this thread brought up a PS2 example! What year is it?

They're making a point about games that are mostly based around one a character around a not very interactive world, but I'm not sure how relevant it is to the tech on display.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
This is really impressive. Directly importing assets and letting the engine do the optimising is massive.

And who needs lightmaps when you can just render all the triangles and let global illumination take care of the rest.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
All this excitement thanks to the next gen PS5 gameplay reveal of the U5 tech demo, now imagine when Sony shows HZD2...they will break the internet

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
One thing that was slightly disappointing is the lack of good GI occlusion. RTX already has some amazing indirect shadow rendering so the indirect occlusion not being physically correct looked very out of place. The GI itself looks very impressive and doesn't seem as taxing as RTX.