• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Why would you, as a gamer, care what is spend on a game or how hard it is to make? Do you ask yourself that when buying a car etc? Kind of strange isn't it :D
Because anything that lower the cost and help the devs make games faster, also raise the chance of me getting more games at a faster rate from the devs I like, and help them stay in business. Crazy, huh! :O

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
HOLY FUCKING SHIT THEY PERFECTED EVERYTHING!?

Its calculating light, shadows, physics, even ai all differently and its creating lossless runtime full poly 800k textures and several billion Count poly renders all with dynamic global illumination and advanced ai taking place at the same time!?

I think I just saw 4 years of college tips and tricks become completely irrelevant with all this.

I dont have to bake models or use low poly versions or model swap at different draw distance I can use full poly zbrush models and render several million polys like it's nothing in real time. Hell i can have 500 instances of that model along with an entire cave backdrop all doing crazy lighting too.

Dont wanna animate every single animation? Advanced kinematic ai will take your climb animation and dynamically adjust it on the fly realistically to interact with the environment its climbing on so it reaches out to or avoids all the little branches or rocks it touches. Itll even make your character push doors open that it bumps into or change their pose yo pass through narrow areas like in real life. HA! Fuck you euphoria physics engine and your ai promises of 2 decades that never panned out this shit is happening now finally!

This is a serious leap forward. Even more than the exciting but sketchy moments we had seeing unlimited voxel rendering by using math that would tell things to only render what would be visible on the screen on the fly. Unlimited voxel rendering got nothing on this poly count with those levels of texture detail.

Hello next gen. I'm sold. This shit used to take hours to render 30 seconds of footage doing all that for pre render shit. Now we doin it at runtime thanks to an engine. This actually did live up to the hype that ps5 and next gen would be as big of a leap for games as when mario went mario 64.
I wake up late on Wednesdays and I see a literally industry-shaking announcement.

This is absolutely impossible. So much of the current development pipeline is based on retopography, poly count budgets, draw call budgets, light baking and so on.

This just...gets rid of them.

They're gone.

Entirely.

I cannot even fathom this shit. Every developer I know is fucking losing their minds.
When even devs are hype as fuck over the changes UE5 brings, you know the future of realtime gaming is bright.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
Wow.

I don't agree with folks saying that this particular demo is photoreal looking, but it is still absolutely incredible looking and is a huge leap forward. Can't wait to see games utilize this.

AudiophileRS

Apr 14, 2018
This demo looked amazing. The way Epic has seemingly integrated Quixel's geometry/ asset scaling abilities into Unreal Engine 5 is insane, and make so much damn sense.

Marketing this with Playstation is an interesting situation, and a great get for Sony. On the other hand, do any Sony first-party games run on UE ? Perhaps some of their teams will be moving over? or maybe Sony just paid to get the UE marketing hype? The other situation is that this engine isn't available to anyone yet that we know of, and it makes me wonder if this demo will overshadow both the PS5 and XSX first-party reveals, unless Sony and MS show straight up bullshot trailers.

The closets things we've seen to this yet (in terms of visual quality) are that initial Hellblade II reveal, and perhaps Microsoft Flight Simulator (but that is completely different tech).

Unreal 4 has some amazing image reconstruction and resolution scaling features, so if this is actually running at Native 1440p, we should be able to get a very impressive 4k image out of this.

Days Gone runs on UE4.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if some understand that games designed on HDD use tight spaces to hide loading but that doesn't mean when designing with SSD that couldn't use tight spaces.

Someone say on Twitter that the presence of a "tight space" transition is proof that SSDs isn't doing anything.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Taking a closer look at the water itself, it looks like the least impressive system of the demo so far. I really hope we get better water simulation than that. Something like this:

Feb 8, 2018
Not attacking, but you said "comparable."

They're rendering billions of polygons and just straight-up importing film-quality assets into the game. PS4 Pro can't do that.

Now, PS4 Pro could spend tons of money and time on something that could look pretty close to that final image, but not the way they're doing it, not at that detail, and not with that dynamic lighting. Not possible.

Yeah it's still crazy to me that they managed to make it run so smoothly as well. An indication that PS5 is relatively easy to develop for. The animations are solid too when she's in the room with all the Statues and turns 360 degrees. Not sure what to expect from animations if games will look that good. It's certainly an area which could need some improvements.

Last edited:

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
Its ok to not know things and not talk about it.

This changes game development as a whole. It cuts down exponentially on development times since you can import raw assets and make them work without putting them on a blender until the framerate doesnt sink.
I get that, but I fail to see how this is more important to me as a gamer than E3 which has tons of game announcements.

UE5 is cool for game developers and tech enthusiasts, but for an ordinary player such as myself, not so much..

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I get that, but I fail to see how this is more important to me as a gamer than E3 which has tons of game announcements.

UE5 is cool for game developers and tech enthusiasts, but for an ordinary player such as myself, not so much..
Tons of cool announcements and games you see will be empowered by this technology. This is a silly viewpoint.

It's totally valid to be excited about things will be lead to great games. This will shape the gaming landscape for the entire next decade to come. It's far more important than any single game; it's possibly the most significant gaming announcement in the last five to ten years.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It truly looks next-gen. I didn't see real-time raytracing demo'ed but the rest, it looks very good. I'm excited to see the kind of changes that brings to UE5 on PC tbh.

What really impressed me was when she was flying through the environment and it was just loading seamlessly at amazing quality.

Yeah that impressed the hell out of me.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Of course you can be excited, but Epic and their Unreal engine is a multiplatform engine so it really isn't logical for them to attach this to PS5 on reveal for any other purpose than marketing arrangements.

Or maybe they attached to Sony because they were going the strongest on drive speed on this coming generation - a bottleneck that has plagued us for generations and the single biggest upgrade in this upcoming one. It would make working on a cutting edge demo that requires streaming data that much easier. They even hinted to this in their interview.

I'm not a fool - I get that money can go in hand. But there are lots of reasons this sort of thing can be set up, least of which is just that devs are excited to work on exciting hardware. PS5 is exciting.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
HOLY FUCKING SHIT THEY PERFECTED EVERYTHING!?

Its calculating light, shadows, physics, even ai all differently and its creating lossless runtime full poly 800k textures and several billion Count poly renders all with dynamic global illumination and advanced ai taking place at the same time!?

I think I just saw 4 years of college tips and tricks become completely irrelevant with all this.

I dont have to bake models or use low poly versions or model swap at different draw distance I can use full poly zbrush models and render several million polys like it's nothing in real time. Hell i can have 500 instances of that model along with an entire cave backdrop all doing crazy lighting too.

Dont wanna animate every single animation? Advanced kinematic ai will take your climb animation and dynamically adjust it on the fly realistically to interact with the environment its climbing on so it reaches out to or avoids all the little branches or rocks it touches. Itll even make your character push doors open that it bumps into or change their pose yo pass through narrow areas like in real life. HA! Fuck you euphoria physics engine and your ai promises of 2 decades that never panned out this shit is happening now finally!

This is a serious leap forward. Even more than the exciting but sketchy moments we had seeing unlimited voxel rendering by using math that would tell things to only render what would be visible on the screen on the fly. Unlimited voxel rendering got nothing on this poly count with those levels of texture detail.

Hello next gen. I'm sold. This shit used to take hours to render 30 seconds of footage doing all that for pre render shit. Now we doin it at runtime thanks to an engine. This actually did live up to the hype that ps5 and next gen would be as big of a leap for games as when mario went mario 64.

Posts like these make me smile. Developers are losing their shit. Today has been a good day.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You are correct that none of us know the full details and obviously the PS5 has a great SSD, but I don't think it is cynical to say that clearly Sony had some type of marketing arrangement for this engine reveal with Epic too. You only had to note the Epic guys being overly cautious in not mentioning Xbox in Geoff's interview and in other follow up interviews too.

Whilst what you're saying could indeed be true, there's just been too many devs now who are super hyped or have sung praises about the PS5's SSD for there not to be at least some semblance of truth in the positivity beyond just marketing. A good number of the devs who have been singing those praises, have been multi-platform devs too.

I guess we'll know in due time, but it is unusual for so many devs (including on this very forum) to be so hyped about something so specific regarding next gen hardware. Perhaps a part of that hype is the time saving it'll allow in development, not necessarily just the visual fidelity or gameplay ramifications.

I'm keeping my expectations tempered, but beyond the in-engine Hellblade 2 cutscene, this demo has been the first truly wow moment in anything next gen I've seen, so in a way it came at the perfect time, because I was starting to doubt the next gen jump would actually be that notable.

Deleted member 57361

Banned
Jun 2, 2019
Of course you can be excited, but Epic and their Unreal engine is a multiplatform engine so it really isn't logical for them to attach this to PS5 on reveal for any other purpose than marketing arrangements.
Epic was working with Sony in the engine for a long time. That's why they did the reveal on PS5. It's so hard for you to see devs excited about PS5 that you need to think on false narratives?

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
When they paused and started moving the lights around, or when they disabled GI. The entirely of that last segment is most likely not controllable in anyway too, because that would be an insane amount of effort for proper contextual animations for a demo. Simply put, the chances of us getting our hands on this is as likely as us getting our hands on the wii U Zelda tech demo.
Sony has a history of releasing demos like this from time to time. PS2 launched in Europe with a tech demo disk called "Take me away" or something like that. I have it somewhere. Then on PS3 we got that realtime KZ2 TV commercial. It wouldn't surprise me if they release this for download when PS5 launches - as long as Epic agrees to it, of course.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days) - History of Trolling & Console Warring
Or maybe they attached to Sony because they were going the strongest on drive speed on this coming generation - a bottleneck that has plagued us for generations and the single biggest upgrade in this upcoming one. It would make working on a cutting edge demo that requires streaming data that much easier. They even hinted to this in their interview.

I'm not a fool - I get that money can go in hand. But there are lots of reasons this sort of thing can be set up, least of which is just that devs are excited to work on exciting hardware. PS5 is exciting.
Nothing exciting about the XSX, wonder how this fares for the dozen or so XGS teams using UE5.

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017

I'm gonna vomit with all this regurgitation of SSD marketing hype. A PC from today can run this without some exotic SSD from the future that « PC will maybe catch up to in 2 years ».

It's impressive tech, don't interpret my interest as something else, but that Sony secret magic sauce that nobody can compete is getting tiring.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Epic was working with Sony in the engine for a long time. That's why they did the reveal on PS5. It's so hard for you to see devs excited about PS5 that you need to think on false narratives?

I have never said that developers or even Epic shouldn't be excited about PS5 hardware. My only point was that Epic themselves as a multiplatform engine developer would likely not be doing this reveal talking mostly about PS5 if there wasn't some type of marketing arrangement, as that just seems like bad business for who they are. But that doesn't say anything of course about what is or isn't real with anything here either.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Sony has a history of releasing demos like this from time to time. PS2 launched in Europe with a tech demo disk called "Take me away" or something like that. I have it somewhere. Then on PS3 we got that realtime KZ2 TV commercial. It wouldn't surprise me if they release this for download when PS5 launches.
They did no such thing for PS4 tho. And Epic made this demo, not Sony.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
needs more ray tracing

don't bother telling me it's not worth it, I've long since drank that kool-aid since the day I first used yafray in blender many years ago

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Whilst what you're saying could indeed be true, there's just been too many devs now who are super hyped or have sung praises about the PS5's SSD for there not to be at least some semblance of truth in the positivity beyond just marketing. A good number of the devs who have been singing those praises, have been multi-platform devs too.

I guess we'll know in due time, but it is unusual for so many devs (including on this very forum) to be so hyped about something so specific regarding next gen hardware. Perhaps a part of that hype is the time saving it'll allow in development, not necessarily just the visual fidelity or gameplay ramifications.

I'm keeping my expectations tempered, but beyond the in-engine Hellblade 2 cutscene, this demo has been the first truly wow moment in anything next gen I've seen, so in a way it came at the perfect time, because I was starting to doubt the next gen jump would actually be tangible.
I'm starting to get concerned XSX has no exciting qualities to it at this point

I have yet to see any developer praise the series X hardware

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
false on so many levels, i don't even know where to begin

I mean his post is one thing, but how will open environments (The flyby sequence probably doesn't let you just fly anywhere) scale asset streaming? What about game sizes?

I think there are a lot of questions but we definitely know how a tombs-only Tomb Raider could look!

Avinash117

Oct 25, 2017
I need some clarification. On the asset creation side, developers usually create unique high detailed assets on a separate program and then they import that asset into the game, but they model has to be changed to support platforms that don't have to power to render highly detailed assets. Not only that they have to create separate models for LOD, as the viewer moves away the model changes to that of a lower poly model. But with this new technology, all the designer needs to do is create that asset and import it to the engine and that engine will downscale it as necessary without the designer needing to create new models or using other techniques. It also can mantain the LOD from a long distance. Is this right? Developers couldn't place that much high detailed assets on screen because it will be resource intensive( memory, money, time, etc), but now they don't have to worry about any of that, right?

I don't fully get the lighting side of things though. It looks like that there isn't a need for static lighting anymore and with static lighting, the models and lighting will have have to be changed around to get the appropriate mood. That is needed anymore, right?

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Days Gone runs on UE4.

Ah, cool. I wonder if this tech will be available and in good enough shape that Days Gone 2 can run on it? That might mean the game doesn't arrive for another 5-7 years though.

It will be really interesting to see how Sony Studios pivot to catch up to this tech. Since Epic own Quixel, what does that mean for Horizon 2 and the Decima engine? can they also integrate similar Geometry scaling into Decima for use with the Quixel assets? that seems like it would be UE5 exclusive.

It also makes me wonder if Hellblade II is running on UE4 or UE5? It must be running on UE4, since I sincerely doubt this engine is in any sort of advanced state.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nothing exciting about the XSX, wonder how this fares for the dozen or so XGS teams using UE5.
Epic said they support current gen hardware, too /s
Again, even when asked they didn't use the word Xbox at all. This is not excitement for one platform, this is the result of a deal. Mind, they are not mutually exclusive but that doesn't mean they are not excited for the other platform, it's the deal they made to not talk about it.