• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
How much of what was shown in this tech demo do you think is facilitated primarily by the PS5's SSD bandwidth, and do you believe this tech demo could run on slower SSD's without any changes?

The issue is that unless a game is exclusive to PS5, it will still be beholden to a slower lowest common denominator SSD on other platforms, past-gen, PC or otherwise.

I don't know, because I didn't make the game. As is usually the case, unless you can actually sit down with the assets and pipeline, it is hard to say for sure. I can wager a guess that this is extremely intensive on data stream. Yeah, I get that you could be taking the cynical route and saying that Epic were paid to say such-and-such, but they were singing the praises of the incredible PS5 drive. And, at least from what I can see on paper, so am I. Sony basically said "we don't want a half measure on drive speed" and it shows.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Looks amazing. "Diminishing returns" my ass...there is still a large amount of improvement that can be had from detail, lighting, animation, world streaming, audio etc. that this demo clearly shows that IDK how people entertained this idea.

Only two downsides is the tight squeeze section (don't know if this was a troll to have it right before the horizon segment, or if it was just an environmental thing they wanted to include or otherwise), which I don't hate but after FF7R I'm good on these. And the character model, which was still pretty sharp and detailed, and the lighting improvement helps, still looked close to current gen compared to the environments. But I'll just wait for other developers to push the boundaries here then.

Diminishing returns are a real thing.

Game visuals are no longer evolving at the rate that they used to, this is a fact

Look into what it actually means instead of lambasting people who acknowledge it exists but can still enjoy games and console generations...

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
Ok now show me some anime cell shaded games on this bad boy. I want real-time Makoto Shinkai quality plz

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
This is the sort of thing I was hoping to see from that Inside Xbox show. It only just makes you shake your head even harder. What on earth were they thinking?

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Diminishing returns are a real thing.

Game visuals are no longer evolving at the rate that they used to, this is a fact

Look into what it actually means instead of lambasting people who acknowledge it exists but can still enjoy games and console generations...

No. There are some people who definitely aren't expecting any type of big improvements. This video is just one example that flies in the face of that.

Jan 11, 2018
I personally thought they did that so you could see how her hands reacted, I was amazed how each finger moved, very natural.

I don't think it was due to loading-- if you believe their pitch, artists don't have to worry about poly budgets or memory budgets, they just lay out the art, and the engine will handle the rest. And then with how fast she was flying in the outdoor area, I think that also illustrates that loading will be minimal with UE5.

I hope so! But there's a difference between a tech demo and an actual game, obviously. I don't believe for a second there will be next to no load times, the industry has pulled our legs with huge promises in the past. If they can be drastically reduced though that will be amazing.

Kelly Wellness

Alt Account
Banned
May 10, 2020
I watched the DF video, they mentioned this was running at 1440P 30 frames per second. In other words we should temper our 4k 60 gps aspirations for proper next-gen games

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
This is the sort of thing I was hoping to see from that Inside Xbox show. It only just makes you shake your head even harder. What on earth were they thinking?

The fact that this has the PlayStation 5 name tagged to it without Sony having to even show a game.......they knew what they were doing. Sony is just creeping in perfect PR right now and you know the heads are loving it

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting that Sony got this. Wouldn't be too surprised to see some Sony first party stuff end up on the Epic Games store. It would line up with that new Playstation Studios branding they rolled out. Having more conspicuous Playstation branding on your games makes sense if you are going to start putting them on platforms other than Playstation.

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I spent an hour making this lol. That screenshot gave me Uncharted vibes so I made a fake Uncharted 5 opening lol.

GFnep9l.jpg

With the Theme song

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know, because I didn't make the game. As is usually the case, unless you can actually sit down with the assets and pipeline, it is hard to say for sure. I can wager a guess that this is extremely intensive on data stream. Yeah, I get that you could be taking the cynical route and saying that Epic were paid to say such-and-such, but they were singing the praises of the incredible PS5 drive. And, at least from what I can see on paper, so am I. Sony basically said "we don't want a half measure on drive speed" and it shows.

Fair enough. Appreciate the response.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that they barley mentioned xbox or pc on there multiplatform engine says to me that sony gave them money

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
The fact that this has the PlayStation 5 name tagged to it without Sony having to even show a game.......they knew what they were doing. Sony is just creeping in perfect PR right now and you know the heads are loving it
I had to admit, I was looking at that big 'V' looming up at the end of the video, thinking it was the PS5 logo.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Really.....

If Sega got off their butt. We could have the most amazing Sonic game ever created using this technology.

Someone should actually go ahead and make a Sonic Spiritual Successor with EU5. That would be insane.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
Pretty much how I feel right now.
I really am not trying to say "I told you so", but when I was talking about how important SSDs are, this is why. They are streaming in millions if not billions of triangles and 8k textures as they are needed.

This is thoroughly mind blowing. The thought of never needing LOD levels on a model again has me excited :)
Agreed.

I'm excited as hell.

Time to set some money aside for an NVMe SSD for my PC in anticipation.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Cyberpunk or Star Citizen do not make anything more impressive than this demo. You might prefer the look of them. But technically speaking, there is no comparison. You do not have raw, max quality assets littering any games announced. And this is great, imagine what will be achieved with that.
This is a tech demo. You won't get raw, max quality assets littering any game that actually has to be made into a game.

Beyond that, the benefit of Raw max quality assets diminishes the further away from the screen they are. There's no need to even shoot for that outside a tech demo.

It's not just art style. But the actual tech on display and playable in cyberpunk is well beyond what in this demo.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
The demo is really impressive. Watched it on my 4K monitor n the vimeo stream, the full thing, and it looked sick. I wasn't as impressed with the flying segments because I thought "Well it can be optimized for that and that doesn't look much like a game..." but then when I watched the interior aspects AND considered it could do those wide open space, it looked awesome.

It's funny how much "Gameyness" they added to the tech demo too... Like paint on the climbing paths (a hallmark of Tomb Raider and Uncharted), and stuff like that. You could have tricked me and to ld me this was Epic's Tomb Raider knockoff and I'd believe it.

I have a hard time getting excited for tech demos because they rarely seem like "Games" and more just like weird ... tours through a high-poly/high-tech museum, but this actually looked like a game so it was easier for me to imagine.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ok, I spent an hour making this lol. That screenshot gave me Uncharted vibes so I made a fake Uncharted 5 opening lol.

GFnep9l.jpg

With the Theme song

Lol. Pretty good. The girl in the demo was actually Cassie Drake in a special pixie form all along.

data

Oct 25, 2017
When they paused and started moving the lights around, or when they disabled GI. The entirely of that last segment is most likely not controllable in anyway too, because that would be an insane amount of effort for proper contextual animations for a demo. Simply put, the chances of us getting our hands on this is as likely as us getting our hands on the wii U Zelda tech demo.
That's unfortunate. Was hoping to play around with it if possible.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017

You are correct that none of us know the full details and obviously the PS5 has a great SSD, but I don't think it is cynical to say that clearly Sony had some type of marketing arrangement for this engine reveal with Epic too. You only had to note the Epic guys being overly cautious in not mentioning Xbox in Geoff's interview and in other follow up interviews too.

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing how he's been working on it for some 10 years it shows that it was a hearty undertaking and others may not have been researching the same ideas. So I feel like until other engines catch up and come up with their own virtualised geometry tech, UE5 may have gotten itself quite an exclusive advantage.

When it came to 3rd party game engines most provided more or less the same results visually with the difference being in toolset and support. If this stays within Unreal for a while then it'd be first time in a while that there's discrepancy between engines like that.

I wonder if other next gen game engine will be able to push/process that number of triangles like they showed here. Maybe Epix threw enough money at this thing that they'll be the only one able to pull this off?

Looks like I have my answer. We probably won't see that tech in other engines soon.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
I hope they make a full fledged game out of that, I would like to learn more of that Girl's adventures!
Probably not, lol.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
This demo looked amazing. The way Epic has seemingly integrated Quixel's geometry/ asset scaling abilities into Unreal Engine 5 is insane, and make so much damn sense.

Marketing this with Playstation is an interesting situation, and a great get for Sony. On the other hand, do any Sony first-party games run on UE ? Perhaps some of their teams will be moving over? or maybe Sony just paid to get the UE marketing hype? The other situation is that this engine isn't available to anyone yet that we know of, and it makes me wonder if this demo will overshadow both the PS5 and XSX first-party reveals, unless Sony and MS show straight up bullshot trailers.

The closets things we've seen to this yet (in terms of visual quality) are that initial Hellblade II reveal, and perhaps Microsoft Flight Simulator (but that is completely different tech).

I watched the DF video, they mentioned this was running at 1440P 30 frames per second. In other words we should temper our 4k 60 gps aspirations for proper next-gen games

Unreal 4 has some amazing image reconstruction and resolution scaling features, so if this is actually running at Native 1440p, we should be able to get a very impressive 4k image out of this.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
1440p and 4kCB is more than adequate for me to push for this kinda fidelity and or some games even running at 60fps

KingT

Oct 30, 2017
Wasn't expecting anything today and this got me excited about the possibilities of next gen games.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
What really impressed me was when she was flying through the environment and it was just loading seamlessly at amazing quality.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You are correct that none of us know the full details and obviously the PS5 has a great SSD, but I don't think it is cynical to say that clearly Sony had some type of marketing arrangement for this engine reveal with Epic too. You only had to note the Epic guys being overly cautious in not mentioning Xbox in Geoff's interview and in other follow up interviews too.

Or, you know, maybe they are also just excited by PS5 like myself and a lot of other developers.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

It was a tech demo running insanely high graphical settings, not ever game will have such a high quality presentation.

Developers still have a choice to run 60fps if they choose to and what ever resolution they want, obviously 4k / 60fps won't look as impressive of course but can still look great.

Native 4k is a waste of resources anyway, when developers have plenty of techniques to make games look stunning without native resolution.

chogidogs

Oct 25, 2017
This is why I was team generations over on that other thread. Sometimes you have to force people to think differently to achieve something monumental.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
Probably because there are no games that use this engine and won't be for quite a while . They said they were showing gameplay. But they didn't do a great job of that either haha.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Looks really good. Can't wait to see more games look like this. Those poly counts are insane for real time.

Kinda wish we'd see some better smoke simulation in games though. I understand that's a tall order but I've been spoiled by how many TV shows and movies I've seen with borderline photoreal smoke sims.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
This demo looked amazing. The way Epic has seemingly integrated Quixel's geometry/ asset scaling abilities into Unreal Engine 5 is insane, and make so much damn sense.

Marketing this with Playstation is an interesting situation, and a great get for Sony. On the other hand, do any Sony first-party games run on UE ? Perhaps some of their teams will be moving over? or maybe Sony just paid to get the UE marketing hype? The other situation is that this engine isn't available to anyone yet that we know of, and it makes me wonder if this demo will overshadow both the PS5 and XSX first-party reveals, unless Sony and MS show straight up bullshot trailers.

The closets things we've seen to this yet (in terms of visual quality) are that initial Hellblade II reveal, and perhaps Microsoft Flight Simulator (but that is completely different tech).

Unreal 4 has some amazing image reconstruction and resolution scaling features, so if this is actually running at Native 1440p, we should be able to get a very impressive 4k image out of this.

days gone uses unreal engine.