• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

desu

Oct 27, 2017
This is how you show next-gen, without even having an actual game. Point for Sony this time.

The environments looked really nice.

Also, the promise of just using Z Brush models without any extra processes is an incredible promise to game devs.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm struggling to see how people think this looks so much better than other stuff we've already seen like Cyberpunk, StarCitizen, Etc.

Looks great, but also as expected based on what's already out there.

I don't know, it feels pretty substantially more detailed than those games. Maybe the player controlled character model is equal, but the environment shown is just so many leagues beyond what we've seen previously. Everything has consistent detail up close and far away. Draw distance appears to be completely non-existent. Ground textures are the same detail level as far out as the eye can see. Lighting appears completely perfect and interactive.

The sheer detail of the statues is beyond what we've seen in current gen character models, and there's hundreds of them on screen at once.

AudiophileRS

Apr 14, 2018
I really do wish companies would release high quality versions of their videos for download. Streaming is great for convenience but this should have a High Bitrate, 4K, HDR, 10-Bit video available for download in x265; for those of who want it.

No one cares about quality anymore and it sucks.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
Delete this

Which is only possible because it's a very curated set of animations made specifically for situations like that. What people are saying is that this demo absolutely is full of very scripted animations that require no input from the player. If every jump required you to wind up like this it would feel awful to play. And I can't believe it has to stated but you can literally spot the moment control is wrestled away from the player so that the character can smoothly transition into a premade animation specifically for this one jump:
a69SVbp.gif

It's very very different from Spiderman.

I always walk back a few feet before I jump, so it looks more realistic.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
2-3 seconds? That's an eternity towards what's actually possible. Fractions of a second, surely?

This level of detail would requires several gigabytes worth of data, even with a 5.5GB/s SSD you'll need 2-3 seconds for it to be read and loaded into the RAM and clear the RAM of data you don't need.

Cerny gave the same number iirc 2-3 seconds of access time for data.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I really do wish companies would release high quality versions of their videos for download. Streaming is great for convenience but this should have a High Bitrate, 4K, HDR, 10-Bit video available for download in x265.

The vimeo vid is quite a bit better than the stream and youtube version.

Fredo

Oct 30, 2017
This looks great. It's also a good argument for a PS5 Pro down the road that could deliver this level of detail and 60 fps.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Nice demo. Suddenly Microsoft's cross-gen strategy makes even more sense. They knew UE5 wouldn't be ready till late 2021 so they're just going with the games already in production on UE4. Has Hellblade 2 been confirmed to be UE4 or just Unreal Engine so it could be UE5?

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
I don't understand how they are making this work. Are they creating "LOD" models in real-time? Because there is no way they are rendering those models straight from Zbrush with dynamic lighting at the same time... Im confused.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
To me, pretty graphics is just like "meh" at this point. I'm way more excited due to developer reactions on how it decreases the amount of work they have to do and makes for more efficient pipelines. That's the stuff that's got me really interested, especially if it can reduce the cost of development.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The insane flying segment at the end gives me hope for crazy fidelity flight in Horizon Zero Dawn 2. Maximise that SSD throughput. Let me ride a Stormbird across vast and intricate looking landscapes and cities.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
That was absolutely stunning, holy shit.

Developers using that engine are going to do some amazing games. Bring on next gen.

Interesting that the engine scales hard with GPU power. Can't wait to see what they games will look like next year.

Corralx

Aug 23, 2018
London, UK
Can someone explain me the basics behind virtual geometry (Nanite)?

No one knows except a few Epic engineers yet. You'll have to wait (not very long) for some more details.

still gotta unwrap that bitch for texturing and animation. that would put a bit of a damper of straight importing

The system is only working for static geometry (at least for now), so doesn't really apply to animated character. Laser scans are definitely a more common use case.

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
Also, make sure to watch with a decent pair of headphones during the cave sound commentary part. You'll understand why.
Yep. I am happy Audio is a focus for next-gen too. In terms of immersion it will add a lot. Audio/music is so important in games & movies.
DualSense might be the extra thing more. I am very excited to test it.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
I really do wish companies would release high quality versions of their videos for download. Streaming is great for convenience but this should have a High Bitrate, 4K, HDR, 10-Bit video available for download in x265; for those of who want it.

Yeah this.
Youtube craptastic bitrate Is just not good enough.

FFObsessed

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wake up late on Wednesdays and I see a literally industry-shaking announcement.

This is absolutely impossible. So much of the current development pipeline is based on retopography, poly count budgets, draw call budgets, light baking and so on.

This just...gets rid of them.

They're gone.

Entirely.

I cannot even fathom this shit. Every developer I know is fucking losing their minds.

o_O

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
I really want to see the GDC talk they had planned. I'm trying to wrap my mind around of what they were doing with the whole Nanite thing but except reducing geometry on the fly when doing calculations (like lighting calculations) I don't see how it is possible to do what they are doing.

Please quote me with theories on how this could possibly work.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
True, it remains to be seen if the end product, (that being UE5), can provide the receipts, but everything they proposed is unthinkable.

"As last gen as possible" from a game design sense but the purpose isn't game design, it's what possible for game design thanks to the technology. Imagine how much "easier" it'd be to get a convincing cyberpunk city without having to worry as much about LODs, baked lighting, and loading. Hell with the stuff they talked about we could get games that look as nice as Spiderman or AC Unity minus set TOD.

Also I kinda don't see how CBP looks better than this. Like, this is a tech demo in the every asset on display is set to "overkill" and isn't feasible on current gen.
Not to mention devs have always designed game levels keeping the poly budget in mind. Carefully occluding the view with buildings, turns etc...now they can design it in whatever way they wish.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017

4K video on Vimeo is 1.5GB H264, for a 9 minute video. That's pretty good quality IMO. It's not HDR though. They also have a 1440p video, which is probably native rendered resolution of this demo PS5, from what I understand. That video is 700MB.
vimeo.com

Unreal Engine 5 Revealed! | Next-Gen Real-Time Demo Running on PlayStation 5

Unreal Engine 5 empowers artists to achieve unprecedented levels of detail and interactivity, and brings these capabilities within practical reach of teams of all…
You can use various free downloaders to download the videos from there.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Josh Sawyer, from Obsidian

surely Epic are pointing out the reality of existing development/design using high detailed assets - but that rather than having to take slow, additional steps of using high res models to bake normal maps, then generate a lower res model, then map the normals to that lower res model - now you can just take the original model straight into the engine and they'll take care of the rest.

It should shorten timelines, not lengthen it. In particular it should speed up iteration if any changes are needed from artists and level designers.

I assume the engine is less efficient than prebaking stuff, but the increased power of next gen consoles and high end PCs allows for that flexibility for developers.

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how Microsoft will respond this time. Maybe we will get a gameplay demo running on the XSX

Very impressive demo of the UE5.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wake up late on Wednesdays and I see a literally industry-shaking announcement.

This is absolutely impossible. So much of the current development pipeline is based on retopography, poly count budgets, draw call budgets, light baking and so on.

This just...gets rid of them.

They're gone.

Entirely.

I cannot even fathom this shit. Every developer I know is fucking losing their minds.
Sounds good for everybody.
Bring on next gen, eye melting candy!

desu

Oct 27, 2017

You watched it on Vimeo? I know that is still not the same, but much better than youtube?

Deleted member 67920

alt account
Banned
May 1, 2020
surely Epic are pointing out the reality of existing development/design using high detailed assets - but that rather than having to take slow, additional steps of using high res models to bake normal maps, then generate a lower res model, then map the normals to that lower res model - now you can just take the original model straight into the engine and they'll take care of the rest.

It should shorten timelines, not lengthen it. In particular it should speed up iteration if any changes are needed from artists and level designers.

I assume the engine is less efficient than prebaking stuff, but the increased power of next gen consoles and high end PCs allows for that flexibility for developers.

I believe Sawyer has tweeted his stance on all these gains to be "I'll believe it when I see it in production."

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Geometry data can be turned into a 2D texture using implicit surface parametrization, and then you could apply usual virtual texturing tricks such as sampling only at desired resolution, depending on context.

Im ignorant on the subject but how do you make current dynamic lighting systems work with 2D textures?