• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
They have to make that into a game. It's incredible.
Gameplay sspeaking It exist, it's Shadow of the Tomb Raider and when it got released it was quite the pinnacle of adventure games and it flopped. Graphics=/=Quality games

P.D: I really liked SotTR what I mean is that graphics doesn't mean crittical acclaim.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
Here I am thinking what a dark souls game from the future will look like.
uTSQWrr.gif

ToD_

Oct 27, 2017
That was really impressive. I'm sure it will take some time before we get there, but I'm confident we'll get to this level with the next gen.

Oct 27, 2017
Why were people convinced that Unreal Engine 5 would never happen? That's quite silly.

Any way, this looks incredible. Can't wait for this tech to mature in 2 to 4 years since that's probably how long it will take after a late 2021 start on full production.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Digital Foundry are saying they don't think we'll see games released on Unreal Engine 5 until 2022.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
O.o ? Streaming that many assets of that quality with that sort of speed is going to be possible because of the custom SSD hardware of next gen consoles. That's the entire point of that sequence, to show that off.... why are we angry?
You're claiming next gen consoles, they're claiming this is only b/c of PS5's special custom SSD. It's more console warring.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
to be fair a tech demo is not a game, though it looks great! We should wait until we have a game running on the Consoles on our televisions to make a final call

While it's true that there are loads of extra systems running in a final production game (enemy AI and pathing, along with other actor information), this is actually a really good representation of a game as far as demos go. It does a lot of game stuff and is fully interactive. I wouldn't be worried.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
If XVI is using UE4 then they can migrate to UE5 when the engine launches.
It's not a brand new engine written from scratch, since engine development is iterative especially these days, it's most likely a formerly experimental branch of UE4 that they decided to number for marketing purpose.
Yes, keep the hype going. I hope so.

flobber

Nov 1, 2019
This may just be a tech demo but it resembles a game being played so feels like the first real taste of next gen, smart move from Sony.

I'm really excited for Hellblade 2 though and expect it will look amazing.

wachie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want to know what those 74 people voting "no" has been playing or watching because this is seriously the visuals we've seen so far. And the great thing is that this is not exclusive, c'mon be fair to Unreal Engine 5.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
That's the real depressing news really, preview in 2021, release late 2021. Will anything at the console launches actually feel like next gen now? :/
Dont worry too much. Console launches are always like that, this wont feel very different, think about the difference is graphics from games like AC4 to AC Unity (or it might thanks to covid-19 disrupting dev times).

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
That high poly statue model. All of this makes me wonder how much time it takes to even make such a thing. Jesus.

Megascans as the name suggests are scanned.

Its still alot of work to clean up the things you scanned, but the point of Quixel is you have a library of things already scanned and cleaned for you.

v One is Real one is a Megascan.
1*-NkqgT38L2HdDrldCl3hxQ.png

1*koyKewlsuf6swgPNJ-uzHA.png

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
The 2021 release date for the engine means games using this will probably look best on your PS5 pro XSX--X(?) You are looking at least 2023 for games using that fidelity, if not longer.
We'll see what Sony's Decima Engine looks like at PS5 launch later this year… I'm assuming they'd be a little ahead of what a 3rd party engine can do…

jimtothehum

Mar 23, 2018
Quick question: is there a good forum to discuss how artists are reacting to this unveiling? I really would like to know how Game Artists are reacting to not having to bake lighting and the seeming unlimited poly-count they will get to work with.

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
I mean given that I still have not seen a game as nice as that unreal engine 4 demo of the knight and the lava I am a bit skeptical this is what we will end playing but having said that.

Wow that was amazing and epic to a scale that is beyond anything we have now.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you feel comfortable answering questions like these I just wanted to know they said triangles are now the size of pixels. I always thought that was the case. How large were they before technically speaking?
Size is a relative question in terms of video game polygons. They were huge on the original Lara Croft model (because there were so few making up her entire body), and are comparatively tiny on the modern Lara Croft model (because there are so many).

The difference now is they seem to be eliminating an optimization step between the 3d modeling program and the game engine. An artist could go into zbrush and make the most polygon-heavy detailed 3D model that wouldn't typically be optimized for games, but it seems UE5 can take those types models (I think he mentioned using assets meant for Hollywood in the demo) and optimize them somehow. How exactly that works is still unknown as of this video, but we'll probably see more soon, at least on the dev end.