• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
This seemed like a fair, no bullshit benchmark of what to expect of next-gen... and we desperately needed this, from someone. So thanks Geoff and Epic.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder how many of the same people excited for this were naysaying the ability of these consoles because Valhalla won't do 60fps. I just think people need to remember the leap we are about to take here. we are leaving behind nearly ten-year-old architecture to what these consoles will offer...and SSDs. It's gonna be something.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I don't think it look that much better than something from this gen with ray-tracing, but the big thing here is how much easier it makes the process to artists. No need to worry about triangle count and optimizations means that the art assets can be developed much faster, also lighting adjustments don't need to take hours anymore like it used to in UE4.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
That was impressive in terms of detail to say the least with the nanites technology in Unreal Engine 5, and everyone should be excited about the potential for next generation games. But there are a couple of disappointing things with this demo: (1) This was mostly at 1440p with dynamic resolution per Digital Foundry and only 30 fps. Sure it looks nice, but that isn't exactly top tier performance expectation here for next generation gaming when we don't even have a ton of things going on in the world for the demo. (2) It was really strange for them to include a "shimmy through a crack in the wall" segment that has been described by many as a current gen "trick" to hide world loading in a next gen engine demo where they talked about SSD performance making world streaming such that we won't need this.

Rex1157

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
How?

Nobody said it wasn't powerful, they just said it wasn't powerful in comparison to the XSX. Which hasn't been proven to be untrue.

The question now is how much better will this demo run on the XSX?
People on this site constantly made it seem like there is this massive insurmountable different between the series X and the PS5 when the reality is that both have advantages and disadvantages owing to their different hardware approaches. The demo will likely not be much different on the series X.

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
For once a tech demo looks like a game I'd actually want to play, lol.

The tech involved here is great too, I'm really glad they actually tried to innovate in an interesting way this gen by using faster loading from the SSD tech to be able to push more geometry, lighting and so on rather than just a brute force "more FLOPs" approach. I think it will make this coming gen stand out a lot more from the last.

As someone did mention though, the infamous wall shimmy did rear it's head here, so maybe loading times can still be a factor the devs will need to be clever about, unless this was a case of doing it purely by choice (which would be strange since devs certainly know the memes/stigma of those scenes).

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
There's no way the y get stuff like Global Illumination working on a Switch. I was always an advocate for the fact that the Switch is more powerful than most people believe but everything seen in this reveal feels far beyond what is imaginable on the Switch.
Oh yeah for sure, but at the same time I also think it will be possible to use some of the tech here to squeeze more out of the Switch which is also exciting.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Has this eurogamer article been posted?

www.eurogamer.net

This is next-gen: see Unreal Engine 5 running on PlayStation 5

We've seen the specs, we've heard the pitches - but what we haven't experienced is any demonstration of a genuine next-…

They mentioned 33 million triangles per statue, and billions of polygons of polygon every frame. For reference, how many triangles would we expect from a similar statue in a game like Uncharted 4 or God of War on a current gen machine?
Horizon ZD's Thunderjaw was 550,000 polygons.

Edit: Kratos was 80k polygons

Last edited:

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Ok, god damn, I'm impressed.

I know it's just a demo, but I actually got the shivers towards the end there. Next gen is going to be incredible.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Did you miss the conversation about scaling? It sounds like this is perfect for cross gen.
Yes, I did miss that conversation, but I don't see how this would scale down reasonably well with everything going on.

I guess I'll better understand when I can start messing with the engine itself, and the tech demo they ship with it. My system is probably part way between XBONE and One X, with a pretty standard HDD, so that'll be a decent test, I think.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
The point of what they were saying was that you can just pull in assets like that, which is insane.

A lot of the time, game assets are done at far far higher poly count than they appear in game. That's what they were talking about at the start. Artists have to pare things down to make them work. Here, they just drop them in and it works. This is a really huge advancement. I didn't even know like, it was a thing we could look forward to. This is going to be yet another thing that makes dev's lives easier. They can just take their production quality models and drop them in without having to painstakingly pare them down manually. That's how I understand it.

Go on things like Artstation and you'll see assets that have appeared in games but they look way way better. That's usually because they are higher poly and the lighting is baked, with the image able to take as long as it needs to render.

I could be wrong about this since I haven't looked into modeling and zbrush and all that good stuff in a while, but that's how I remember it.
Ah, makes a lot of sense, though I'd imagine most would still not want the highest quality assets to always be pulled in if ultimately they are background stuff, which was more what I mean by not using them. More a super high end PC setting for actual games.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I understood it as virtual texturing, so there is no 8K texture sitting on the ssd. Its generated on the fly?

I'm just guessing, as I've not seen their pipeline (obvs), but you can use textures as atlases. It costs less to have the largest possible texture in memory and just access that over and over for multiple pieces of the scene. This is a common technique. However, that is huge and amazing news.

Every part of this demo is just nuts

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah. I was just wondering yesterday what could happen if devs target 1440p or 1080p even next gen. Extremely pleased devs, moreover engine developers, are not letting some march to 4K native get in the way of new rendering techniques.

I'm sure this will look fantastic on a 4K display too, the upscaling/reconstruction sounds pretty solid. In my opinion this resolution should be the target for AAA games.

Huggie

Oct 22, 2018
What is with the hot takes that XSX wont be able to run this as good a PS5? I mean wtf, this is gonna run just as good on both, even a little better with the extra cpu/gpu grunt the XSX has. The ssd is great in both, loading and asset streaming speeds will be greatly enhanced next gen. But thats never going to eliminate pure cpu/gpu advantage.

This is a tech demo that Sony probably paid to be promoted by, its a game engine that will be used by every device worldwide even mobile. It will scale up and down depending on requirements.

If anything PC gamers should be bloody excited, this engine with Nvidias 3080ti rumoured to be 23TFlops is going to be insane!

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
I understood it as virtual texturing, so there is no 8K texture sitting on the ssd. Its generated on the fly?

More that the textures are streamed from the SSD at the level of detail that's visible on screen at the time, rather then loading the entire 8K texture at once even though the asset only takes up a few hundred pixels and the backside isn't visible. Basically a bit like Google Maps and how it only loads up the satellite data that's actually visible even though the total amount of data is in the dozens of petabytes.

You can read up a bit about it here since there's already an early implementation in UE4: https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Engine/Rendering/VirtualTexturing/index.html

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sorry I should've clarified, as someone who's in the industry and uses UE4 for game development, it still confounds me. Wish they went into more detail, like a pipeline of how things work. Will it be relegated to a simple GOZ button?
Sorry I misunderstood, you probably know more than me lol. No idea! I am also confounded. But fascinated!

I did see on Twitter this was meant to be demoed at GDC, so I'm assuming we'll see a deeper dive in the coming days/weeks.

ovbm

Nov 9, 2017
Wow. Do you have ANY actual facts as of why this is only possible because of "the power of streaming 10GB/s on a custom SSD"?

O.o ? Streaming that many assets of that quality with that sort of speed is going to be possible because of the custom SSD hardware of next gen consoles. That's the entire point of that sequence, to show that off.... why are we angry?

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
No mention of RT in the demo is a bit annoying. Was hoping we'd get something more than that appears to be the shoe-horned stuff in UE4.

Also, it'd be great to see an updated version of the Samaritan demo.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is an amazing piece of marketing/PR on Sony's behalf. And to think that it doesn't even form part of their 'official' PS5 reveal.

The casual gaming audience are going to see "running on a PS5" plastered all over this footage and assume that it alone is capable of this level of performance, especially given the massive own goal that was Microsoft's XSX 'reveal event' last week.

I'm sure that MS are going to pull out some similarly impressive stuff over the next couple of weeks but they are waging a marketing war with Sony and they just took a major victory against the XSX and they didn't even have to 'do' anything.

Totally. Microsoft are already all in with Epic anyway so Sweeney didn't need to boost that partnership. It's interesting because we don't even know if Sony first party are using Unreal yet so basically a great PR moment for Sony.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I still dont believe it and question how this is all supposed to be possible. Just like that Epic basically deletes every technical constraint that has been around for years now? There has to be some downside or limitation to all of this.

That's not exactly true. I've heard of Nvidia and AMD trying to make similar tech but it seems the hardware that existed before now couldn't properly support their efforts. I think we are seeing a convergence of proper hardware with software development. Now my big question is if this feature will be exclusive to Epic for the next 2 years or if other engines like Unity, CryEngine and Source 2 have already been working on this within their own houses. If these engines are significantly behind in integrating this tech into their engines I don't see any reason but to go with Unreal for the short term regardless of licensing models.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Holy fuck, adding to my previous post, straight from the official site:

"Lumen erases the need to wait for lightmap bakes to finish and to author light map UVs "

AAAAAAAAAHHHSJDGHSKDGHKFSDGFJDSJFLDS!!!!!

From a creators point of view, even if it's not gaming related, I almost feel like crying. This brings me joy.

Dude, I know. I know.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
That was impressive in terms of detail to say the least with the nanites technology in Unreal Engine 5, and everyone should be excited about the potential for next generation games. But there are a couple of disappointing things with this demo: (1) This was mostly at 1440p with dynamic resolution per Digital Foundry and only 30 fps. Sure it looks nice, but that isn't exactly top tier performance expectation here for next generation gaming when we don't even have a ton of things going on in the world for the demo. (2) It was really strange for them to include a "shimmy through a crack in the wall" segment that has been described by many as a current gen "trick" to hide world loading in a next gen engine demo where they talked about SSD performance making world streaming such that we won't need this.

And this is where we are going to have to wonder, do i want this in fake 4k, or current gen games at 4k ? I think the answer will be pretty easy cause that looked damn good on my 4k screen, even if not the sharpest. All i want s perfect iq and no aliasing etc.. To achieve the next gen feel, they're going to have to prioritize what people notice. The resolution obsession is about to get old i think.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Totally. Microsoft are already all in with Epic anyway so Sweeney didn't need to boost that partnership. It's interesting because we don't even know if Sony first party are using Unreal yet so basically a great PR moment for Sony.

AFAIK Days Gone/Bend is the only studio using Unreal Engine. Could be wrong.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Has this eurogamer article been posted?

www.eurogamer.net

This is next-gen: see Unreal Engine 5 running on PlayStation 5

We've seen the specs, we've heard the pitches - but what we haven't experienced is any demonstration of a genuine next-…

They mentioned 33 million triangles per statue, and billions of polygons of polygon every frame. For reference, how many triangles would we expect from a similar statue in a game like Uncharted 4 or God of War on a current gen machine?

Kratos had 80,000 Polygons with 32,000 going to his face alone.
Im pretty sure other characters and single assets would be at maximum 100,000 polygons.
49214803513_6a7a42f49d_z.jpg

Millions of Polygons is productin ready level stuff, which is why they demo'd megascans for the scene and the statues....they are basically telling us, you can import the stuff youve made at its max quality into the engine.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
That high poly statue model. All of this makes me wonder how much time it takes to even make such a thing. Jesus.