• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Unless they scrap eveything they have and start again in 2021 then no.
FF XVII probably will.
If XVI is using UE4 then they can migrate to UE5 when the engine launches.
It's not a brand new engine written from scratch, since engine development is iterative especially these days, it's most likely a formerly experimental branch of UE4 that they decided to number for marketing purpose.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
The initial graphics heavy ps4 titles like the order or infamous looked already better than the unreal 4 engine tech demo running on the ps4

The demo got downgraded pretty hard compared to the original, Epic were pretty conservative with the PS4 UE4 demo. The 2012 PC one had effects we will commonly see next gen such as dynamic GI & going a bit more crazy with tessellation.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
I really am not trying to say "I told you so", but when I was talking about how important SSDs are, this is why. They are streaming in millions if not billions of triangles and 8k textures as they are needed.

This is thoroughly mind blowing. The thought of never needing LOD levels on a model again has me excited :)
What disk space requirements would you have for these assets for major games though? I do feel that people will be shocked by some upcoming disk space requirements next generation.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
Man that looked amazing.

Also take into account it is not ray-traced, just really good global illumination.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
I really am not trying to say "I told you so", but when I was talking about how important SSDs are, this is why. They are streaming in millions if not billions of triangles and 8k textures as they are needed.

This is thoroughly mind blowing. The thought of never needing LOD levels on a model again has me excited :)
Amazing post

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
If you told me this was the next Tomb Raider I would totally believe you. The climbing queues and wall squeezes and temple designs and shifting puzzle room were kinda shameless.

Amazing looking demo.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously impressive stuff.
I thought it was funny how they did the squeeze through tight spaces thing that is usually used to mask loading times.
But yeah, that poly count and lighting... Very impressive.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
it's these types of posts that I wonder why I even bother working in this industry

It's fine if you disagree with my assessment (and many many others) of Microsoft's stream. It's not fine to be that aggressive though. I feel like this is pretty pointless as I've observed your posts on here and you are pretty consistent.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Wait, no baking of assets and no optimising polygons? 3D artists rejoice.

I wonder what kind of card you need to have for that. No light maps seems insane lol Probably RTX only. I'm really curious what takes to run this since it's a big leap from a workflow standpoint. A lot of trickery isn't needed anymore.

No LOD specifications as well. Crazy.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, shots fired.

Whether planned long ahead or not, this was a very "299", "399", "this is how you share games" Sony statement. Looks stunning and truly next-gen :o

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
The demo got downgraded pretty hard compared to the original, Epic were pretty conservative with the PS4 UE4 demo. The 2012 PC one had effects we will commonly see next gen such as dynamic GI & going a bit more crazy with tessellation.
I know, that's why I specified the system it was running on. I certainly think that future blockbusters will look like this.,

Deleted member 2441

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2021 release means we're looking at mid-gen before we start seeing big games on this, but looks like some awesome tech upgrades for devs to squeeze even more out of the new boxes.

Super impressive. With the amount of money Epic can throw at their engine development, it's going to be some task for others to match it.

ray_caster

Nov 7, 2017
It is nice to see that Carmack and Olick were completely right about geometry virtualization back in the mid/late 00's as a concept for future graphics technology. It took a while to get there, but we got there.

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
After this demo today, just imagine Sony showing HZD2 running on PS5 with the latest version of Decima.

Oct 27, 2017
I suspects most of you only watched this trailer and not the Summer Games Fest stream. In it, Geoff ask the developers if this is indeed running on a PS5 and are playable on it, the developers which also include Tim Sweeney who is the founder and CEO of Epic says yes that the demo is playable on the PS5. I expect Sony first party will have games that looks better than this in a couple of years from now.

Mohsenix

Mar 31, 2018
Can we hope for 60 fps games with similar LOD if it was only global illumination and not full RT?

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Did they say what res this was running at? I mean it seems like a HUGE achievement to have this running at native 4k. I'm still awestruck about the tech for the high-density geometry. It's basically the pipe-dream that old "infinite detail" was raving on about with voxels like 15 years ago.

Edit: Just saw DF say it was 1440p/30. Seems reasonable. I would take this quality at 1080p any day.

Last edited:

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
If XVI is using UE4 then they can migrate to UE5 when the engine launches.
It's not a brand new engine written from scratch, since engine development is iterative especially these days, it's most likely a formerly experimental branch of UE4 that they decided to number for marketing purpose.
You're right that they could. But migrating would not be simple if they want to make full use of any of UE5's advanced features which makes it unlikely. For the lighting and geometry stuff in this demo they would have to rebuild significant portions of the game. I would imagine by late 2021 when UE5 will release that XVI will be far along and probably already announced publically. (assuming the rumours that work started in 2017 and is being led by Naoki Yoshida are true).

PiranhaMan

Apr 26, 2020
njs5yz0sn8n41.jpg

^ He knew what he was doing when it came to the importance of the SSD.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Makes me froth at the mouth to think how damn good games are going to look next gen. Thinking about how great God of War and Spider-Man are going to look on PS5........Lord have mercy

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
In terms of scalability, you may have different toggles based on different strengths of your system.

Great GPU? Toggle up the resolution.

Great storage I/O? Toggle up on the asset streaming.

Framerate could potentially be bound by any of these factors at different points.

What I think is a key validation for PS5, is that it does seem to confirm the idea of storage IO and data throughput as a key performance factor in visual fidelity and performance next-gen.

You think Sweeney team picked PS5 because of what other reason? Sony must've worked with them.

In comments to Verge, Epic said they had been working more closely with Sony on the tech for Nanite. I guess there was mutual interest in exploring data throughput in rendering, and obviously it gives Sony a good showcase. It seemed more like a technical coming together than a marketing one.

Whether there was anything beyond that in choosing PS5 as the showcase system, I don't know. There may also be a marketing component here. It's possible also, though, that the data throughput on PS5 makes it as good a candidate as any other to show off the tech, even if they could have got a better GPU elsewhere. I think the key in this demo was the step-change in virtualised asset streaming and throughput more than raw pixel count, and maybe that stuff is just running better on PS5 at the moment if it's heavy on IO (pending optimisation etc).

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
That's the announcement ? -_-' don't get me wrong, tech stuff are cool but I was hoping for something huge and it's kinda nothing

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
IF you told me this was offline.
I would totally believe you.

1920x-1

If you told me v this was gameplay....id call you a liar:
1920x-1

AzerPhire

Oct 25, 2017
It's fine if you disagree with my assessment (and many many others) of Microsoft's stream. It's not fine to be that aggressive though. I feel like this is pretty pointless as I've observed your posts on here and you are pretty consistent.

He corrected you when you said Microsoft's was mostly CG which it wasn't. You got defensive and here we are.