• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Geedorah

Oct 27, 2017
Friends-list integration could be incredible in the next generation. They even mentioned Steam... that would be so nice.

Nictron

Nov 27, 2017
Murrieta, CA
200_d.gif

a916

Oct 25, 2017
This is all really great stuff. Having the engine handling normal map generation is awesome and should cut down on implementation time. The ray tracing looks great, but streamlining assets is the most exciting thing I've heard yet.

As someone who uses Unreal Engine... what does this mean?

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
SSD in general.
He said it will be available on next gen consoles and high end pc.

Availabe as in the engine and its features.
But the Demo might need the PS5s I/O speeds to achieve that fidelity because its streaming in and out millions and millions of triangles.....an HDD or slow SSD wouldnt be able to actually stream that quickly....which would lead to some sort of cutbacks.

So quite possibly the PS5 will have better graphics out the gate simply because its able to stream in no LOD high poly assets in and out faster than could be done elsewhere.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No LODs. Rarely do you see a significant graphical problem like that just "fixed".

How does a game have no LoDs?

You can always sacrifice distance detail for near detail. Even if you can push a stupid number of triangles at any distance pushing more at the player and less further away will look nicer. It makes no sense to say "no LoDs"

If the claim is LoD's won't be noticed by the player then sure that makes sense but if they are talking about removing LoD's entirely and have a solution I'd be curious what that solution is.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So here's the thing. For AAA games, artists are already doing crazy levels of detail. You typically start with a sculpting tool and built a crazy high detail model and then someone takes that and spends a bunch of time building a lower poly version out of it that tries to maintain as much detail as possible.

So this actually saves time, because you can let artists just do their thing and then it's done.
That's awesome. This is just incredible, I guess that's why there are those crazy Uncharted 4 renders out there that look very realistic but in game it's not like that.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Guess it's doable? The Unreal Engine 4 Tech Demo was surpassed a long time ago with the current generation:

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017

The compressed stream really doesn't do the demo justice. This shit looks so freaking good.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's fast enough but what I'm saying is if this is so critical to the graphics on screen, as Epic have said in this interview, then surely one system being twice as fast will have potential for considerable improvements over the other. Everyone went nuts about a 20% difference in TFLOPS performance, but the SSD difference will be for nought?
I dont think that part was a remark about Xbox SX, they simply were focused on PS5 as its where the demo is running. MS are significant consumers of Unreal tech, their dev teams are some of the best in pushing the engine, Coalition in particular, so i think we can only really speculate what it could mean for existing teams.

imapioneer

Oct 27, 2017
Can we just talk about that ruins fly through with billions of polygons...god damn! No loading whatsoever

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sony was smart for partnering up on this. Xbox will push these same visuals out no problem, but the messaging to the broad audience here makes PS5 look like a beast. Especially following Xbox's weak showcase last week.

The next-gen battle won't be won by the power of the platforms, they're both incredibly powerful. It will be won by the marketing team that makes their platform look more powerful. This is a win for Sony, especially since this interview has the Epic people specifically calling out PS5

Can't agree more. Just looking at the replies in this thread alone shows this was a marketing win for Sony.

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You should maybe check an indie show called The Mandalorian.

"
The company used
Unreal Engine
to build entire 3D environments for the Star Wars live action series, displaying them on giant LED screens surrounding the set. Not only did this mean practically everything could be captured in frame, it also provided actors with some context to help their performances
"

Used in pre-vis.
Please don't try to lecture me on 3D, I worked in various VFX houses, some of the biggest films you saw in the last few years and I'm now working on UE in a big gaming company, I'm aware of the limitations and use-cases of RT in gaming and films, thanks.

Oct 27, 2017
It looks great and everything, but how big are these games gonna be with movie quality assets. 300 gigabytes? Physical media is gonna die because nothing's gonna be on the disc.
Remember when they said game sizes would be smaller due to ssd speeds and the fact they didn't need to duplicate as much data for streaming purposes?
Didn't seem that way then and definitely not now after seeing that video.

wiggler

Oct 27, 2017
I can't wait for a technical explanation of how Nanite works. Do we think its just leveraging the new SSD bandwidth to pull full quality assets from disk, and using that new CPU power to create a version that the geometry engine or mesh shader turns into GPU friendly version? We know that pixel sized triangles are not GPU efficiency friendly. I'm wondering if that colored triangles view is the triangles from the full quality version, or actually rendered triangles. I guess I need to look into how those new mesh shader or geometry engine stuff works.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
This was clearly an art decision and not a technological constraint...
The latter part of the demo shows how this isn't actually technologically necessary....

yep, like, Jesus, has anyone ever seen a segment like that flying one in the end in any game ever? And people think it needs a corridor to load a simple cave 🙄

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Availabe as in the engine and its features.
But the Demo might need the PS5s I/O speeds to achieve that fidelity because its streaming in and out millions and millions of triangles.....an HDD or slow SSD wouldnt be able to actually stream that quickly....which would lead to some sort of cutbacks.

So quite possibly the PS5 will have better graphics out the gate simply because its able to stream in no LOD high poly assets in and out faster than could be done elsewhere.
We don't know how high the I/O requirements are for this demo, but you are right that there would be some cutbacks on a slower SSD.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
Sweet baby Jesus.... I can't wait to get my hands on this let alone see what all the amazing teams will pump out.

The fact that the console with least horsepower is putting out things like this means we are in for an amazing few years ahead of us

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, that looked honestly insanely impressive. I'm am slightly skeptical tbh. The amount of detail being that perfectly dynamically lit with no obvious artifacts, and the speed by which it flies through all that detail at the end was nuts.

It would be nice if every PS5 came pre-packaged with this demo, even if you can't control the character, but just pause it and change the lighting - like that KZ2 commercial on PS3.
They did say it's a playable demo that changes every time you play. Maybe it will be?

But yeah, this was nice and a nice surprise to be running on PS5. The interview after was so insightful, one of first things Geoff asked about was the SSD.

Sweet baby Jesus.... I can't wait to get my hands on this let alone see what all the amazing teams will pump out.

The fact that the console with least horsepower is putting out things like this means we are in for an amazing few years ahead of us

Agree. It's time to stop worrying about, console warring about the specs.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
The people downplaying the PS5's SSD need to stop. It's only gonna get harder for you

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Damn, diminishing returns big time sorry to say.
The texture detail & more polygons are expected, but the difference isn't that big unless they zoom in, the biggest difference here is the better lighting.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It looks AMAZING! And at the same time, it's somehow believable for me, unlike most tech demos with graphics much better than real games.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Having accurate renders that use proper physics to simulate light,dynamics and materials? UE is great and the level on display is amazing, but it ain't no VFX pipeline.

It's already used in production, both to provide Realtime visualisations in mocap and green screen situations, but also for the end render. Realtime Raytracing has recently been added into the tool suite, so the fidelity for these type of applications is super close but 1000's of times faster to work with

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, the most interesting game we've seen announced for next gen yet and it's not a real game. Epic should make this into a full thing it looks rad.

It's impressive how nice it looks too. Although I did laugh when he pointed out the fluid simulations as the player ran through some thick jelly-ass looking water.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Just thinking about a next-gen MH....or hell Capcom in general. Man these games are gonna look crazy.

Don't even bring up what fuckery Rockstar gonna deliver with GTA VI...lol.

Jun 18, 2018
Sure but I'm sure Xbox's high end first party will do something similarly amazing. We've heard it time and time again but both systems are insanely powerful.

Definitely - there's no doubt that the XBX will have amazing looking games too.

But I think this reveal is more exciting that what we've seen previously from MS.

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Remember in the other thread people said UE5 wasn't needed just because support was added for the PS5 and XBSX in UE4.