• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is all really great stuff. Having the engine handling normal map generation is awesome and should cut down on implementation time. The ray tracing looks great, but streamlining assets is the most exciting thing I've heard yet.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, that looked honestly insanely impressive. I'm am slightly skeptical tbh. The amount of detail being that perfectly dynamically lit with no obvious artifacts, and the speed by which it flies through all that detail at the end was nuts.

It would be nice if every PS5 came pre-packaged with this demo, even if you can't control the character, but just pause it and change the lighting - like that KZ2 commercial on PS3.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
Im exactly in the same boat nowadays, which take part of the fun away for this kind of things....but that is just how it is
For me I think it's more that I remember past Unreal Engine version update trailers and how long it took for actual games to approach that level of particles or soft surfaces or whatever was the new 'big add' for the version. It's exciting to see, but at the same time...when are we actually going to SEE that.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
This section was not implemented to mask loading but to show fluid/ dynamic animation system, up close hi res textures of the rock, and of course a cool cinematic reveal of the next cave area.
It was an artistic choice that I'm sure isn't going to go over well with some but not driven by technical limitations.
I was half joking.
Point I was making was that it's a poor choice to do that given the experience people have with those sequences, not that they were loading.

Most people watching it need to have things explained to a simple level hence the voice over, and they wouldn't know it's an artistic choice by itself.

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
Someone should do a Mandalorian game with this tech. All the levels/set are already built for the series!

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
www.unrealengine.com

A first look at Unreal Engine 5

Get a glimpse of new and improved real-time rendering features currently in development.

Well in a way were getting UE5 games year 1. Fortnite is planned to migrate to UE5 on 2021.

I think there's a liiiiiiiittle difference in when you're able to fully get your hands on an engine if youre Epic, or anyone else.

Games will start development in current UE4 versions and maybe jump to UE5 after full release. But games made on UE version 5 from day one will take years.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's fast enough but what I'm saying is if this is so critical to the graphics on screen, as Epic have said in this interview, then surely one system being twice as fast will have potential for considerable improvements over the other. Everyone went nuts about a 20% difference in TFLOPS performance, but the SSD difference will be for nought?

i mean, i don't think the tflops difference is gonna be terribly significant either, haha. both machines are in a very similar class of performance overall, most of this sort of stuff is just console warrior bone-picking

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Watch Nvidia make the Ampere upper echelon have 20+ GB of VRAM just so they dont have the drive bottleneck for gaming PCs.

Oneiros

Oct 27, 2017
These kinds of threads always surface the clown show. My favourite are the low-key fanboy posts, just barely stopping from dropping the veil:

"Wowee, can't wait to see this on a 12TF machine!"
"It looks lie a SUPER FAST SSD is going to make all the difference next gen!"

And so on.
Yeah, its embarrassing. Some people can't help themselves. Both consoles will have very impressive graphics.

Color_Revolt

Oct 28, 2017
These ultra compressed "4K" videos are a really poor way to show off next-gen. Why is the compression so bad? I don't think YouTube is the culprit here.
Pretty much every single streaming service in existence uses a technique called "Lossy compression". A raw, uncompressed HD video needs somewhere near 1gb/second of data, which not even the fastest internet speeds can consistently achieve right now, and if they could, it would be wasteful and expensive. Lossy compression throws away fine detail to save data. YouTube isn't to blame here, it's limitations to current technology that are to blame.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Some very good looking tech in that video. I do not know much if anything about the technical side of development but those tools allowing easier hands-off importing sound pretty cool.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, moving through Spider-Man's world at speed would impress me way more than this UE5 tech demo.

Yes the flying through the desert environment is fast, but everything is a bit brown and all the assets look samey. Whereas Spider-Man is a colourful and varied New York metropolis with far more going on, not to mention rooftop pools, cars, pedestrians and garbage cans!
The level of detail is not even close. A single statue shown in this demo is like 4 blocks of the city in Spider-Man, if their GDC talk is accurate.

Being brown or rainbow color wouldn't change that this is impressive technology wise.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Damn, anything that uses UE is going to have a major jump. Gears 6 is going to look wild.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I mean is this actually possible, achieving this type of quality assets in a full game, won't that take a crazy ammount of work?

I'm very impressed by what is achieved here.

So here's the thing. For AAA games, artists are already doing crazy levels of detail. You typically start with a sculpting tool and built a crazy high detail model and then someone takes that and spends a bunch of time building a lower poly version out of it that tries to maintain as much detail as possible.

So this actually saves time, because you can let artists just do their thing and then it's done.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Do we think when they say SSD tech for PS5 is pushing this, that epic just means hey, the SSD in general is doing this OR are they saying the PS5 ssd is doing this
SSD in general.
Although they keep mentioning PS5 is this vindication for how PS5s SSD will lead to better graphics....the way they are streaming in triangles would only be possible with PS5s high I/O?
He said it will be available on next gen consoles and high end pc.

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Let's make a prediction: They showed a tech demo on PS5 because it is a PlayStation Studios (first/second party) game, and it will be announced soon. However, it won't be a launch game.

It'll probably have 0% of that happening but whatever.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I think there's a liiiiiiiittle difference in when you're able to fully get your hands on an engine if youre Epic, or anyone else.

Games will start development in current UE4 versions and maybe jump to UE5 after full release. But games made on UE version 5 from day one will take years.

You can expect trusted partners and big studios to get access to the preview by early 2021 or perhaps late 2020.
You should see it in use in 2022 games.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle

This is what people aren't understanding. UE5 won't be available until late 2021. If anyone starts trying to develop for it, there will be no game that uses it until 2022 at the earliest. Coupled with the impact Covid will have in 2021 according to other sources, expect even further delays to that as well.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
No LODs. Rarely do you see a significant graphical problem like that just "fixed".

its not just a graphical problem its a gameplay problem too. Especially in games that have large maps, zooming in on a target too far away and the LOD's kick in and can either obscure the target or have a shadow suddenly cast over something.

Next thing That could be hopefully addressed in the next generation following is model clipping.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

Yeah were not getting a full game that makes full use of the featureset like the demo until like 2023-2024.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Not having to bake in lighting in every scene should speed up at least one aspect of the development of a game.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
"it's just a tech demo"

That doesn't stop it being a demonstration of the tech, it's something specifically designed to show and highlight all of the new stuff the tech can do.
It'll be really interesting to see how close games can get to that density of fidelity across an entire campaign or an open world game.

I want more tech demos, they are always the most exciting parts of new console reveals and feel we don't see them often enough now.

USIGSJ

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, this is the next gen I've been waiting for. Dynamic GI, importing hipoly meshes. can't wait to try.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
I do not think a demo would want to go through and highlight deficiencies! No reason to be skeptical, it is real-time.
Well, I guess I should have said that I'm slightly skeptcial of the "realtime on PS5" part. There was no single frame drop that I could notice for example. The tech is clearly insanely impressive though.

Why is there a corridor section
Why not? Moments like that build anticipation, because you know that something cool's going to be on the other side.

Oct 25, 2017
This was the most exciting part of the Next Gen news so far for me, this looks great and seems to ease development hardships.

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
Looking amazing and not one word referring to RT? If they can pull off GI this good without leveraging RT hardware, I'm more than happy.

Keep RT for sprinkling of more accurate reflections that don't tank framerates and call it a day I say..

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I can believe most of that is playable now on ps5 dev hardware with an actual controller... but I want to see someone actually playing that flying segment at the end

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
This whole thing is damn impressive, specially if Nanite works as well as it seems to. Not having to author LODs and lowpoly meshes for some things reduces asset creation to half or less, sometimes. And asset creation is probably where most of the cost and time goes in a game, so... pretty exciting.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
No LoD and pop-in? Wut?

If every single asset only has single LoD level / model then there is nothing to swap as you go closer or further out. That would eliminate popin fully, but LoD details are used to keep cost of rendering scenes within certain bounds. UE5 is looking to eliminate that.

Engine and tools will be finalized by end of 2021. Outside of some odd and rushed indie game I don't see anything big landing in 2021 that uses UE5.

And no, I'm not counting Fortnite.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Tech is amazing. I just want to say that you all should temper your expectations. PS5 is coming with 825GB of free space, you are not putting film grade assets in game if you aim for that.