• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Looks great! I was particularly excited about the new audio enhancements. The cave noises sounded oddly..satisfying.

Can't wait to hear more about the engine.

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017
I hope it's not too long before we get games looking like this next gen, because it looked pretty fantastic. Been rocking a base PS4 on 1080p TV this whole time, so I'm excited to get a 4k TV with the new consoles and really get that leap.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
ffs people are actually calling this game-play, get real, it looks nice but its in engine demo don't kid yourself. Looks good, I personally wasn't blown away but i think that's more of a product of expectations and diminishing returns, games already look good, I'm hoping this new gen will create more complex rich worlds with no load times or artificial looking environments.

They said on the live stream it is a playable gamplay demo.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Single most disappointing part of the demo..heh

vFcVYyz.png

Rodderick

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, she was in a cave and they wanted to show movement through an enclosed space. You'll still have those kind of squeeze through moments even if they aren't intended to hide a load screen.

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
When a third party game company show cases the power of next gen much better than a company that's making a next gen console .... oh hi microsoft.

Nov 14, 2017
Looks fine, obviously I don't believe in any Unreal Engine 'demo', but if it's half as good as that, that would be a good upgrade.

Jun 18, 2018
So, is it fair to say that whilst being a tech demo it's visually more impressive than anything we saw from MS?

It's still no gauge for comparing the power of both machines, but it does get me excited for the possibilities of the next gen.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
We actually do not know what the what the deciding factor in performance in this demo is regarding how it stresses RAM or streaming into RAM. They did not clarify what the memory budget was for anything. We just know that Nanite and Lumen are heavy on the GPU for generating frames at medium resolutions - hence it running at 1440p 30.
Can't wait for the DF video on this!

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
This demo really demonstrates what the PS5 will be capable of, and why it's different than before. I've never seen anything like the final flying scene.
Yep. Some people were sceptical about what an SSD would realistically bring to games, but it's precisely that epic sequence: it allows for the streaming of data in fast enough to race or fly through highly detailed environments without the need to obfuscate most of the surroundings (so that you can avoid having to load them in). It's just amazing.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Great to see mesh shaders already being integrated into the biggest engine right of the bat.

Welcome generation with perfect geometry at all times, you have been long awaited 😍

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm, I'll be waiting to play Ghost and TLOU2 on the PS5 den. Because if this is unreal, then sony's engines are going to break the game. This made it a very easy decision.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
There you have it folks, detail being brought in off the SSD as the camera angle moves around became RAM can't store everything they need without the fast SSD. Remember PS5 has twice the IO speed as XSX does. Of course it will have an impact on how far you can push graphics when they really are being pushed.

What does this mean to me as a consumer? Explain it like I'm 10 years old please

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
What flavour is the Sony koolaid?

It's an impressive demo. It'd look just as good on a PC or X1SX.
Sorry I'm just going off what the Epic guy said in the Geoff interview. Sweeney as well bigging up the SSD. He said there's so much polygonal detail being streamed in on the fly, not capable with current gen storage. And the PS5 has twice the bandwidth speed available to it than XSX. Are you saying that won't make any difference at all? Seriously.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how many developers can afford to make their game look that good, and how this will help smaller devs making more graphically impressive games.

It's using Quixel Megascans assets with Unreal 5 lighting. Should be doable for many developers. Quixel Megascans are free for Unreal users.

Newbong

Oct 27, 2017
We actually do not know what the what the deciding factor in performance in this demo is regarding how it stresses RAM or streaming into RAM. They did not clarify what the memory budget was for anything. We just know that Nanite and Lumen are heavy on the GPU for generating frames at medium resolutions - hence it running at 1440p 30.

Are they using ray tracing?

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
But but... We need to keep our expectation in check for next gen tell IGN :)

You really do. This is nothing more than a fancy tech demo. Nothing about this is real or playable to an end user on any hardware right now.

The Infiltrator UE4 Demo was released in 2013 and nothing release looks as good as it does.

GusFacsimile

Oct 25, 2017
One thing also seemed to be missed is the convolution reverb calculated from the space data. Will be huge for immersion. Can't wait to see this tech combined with the PS5's Tempest engine. Great demo.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
So, is it fair to say that whilst being a tech demo it's visually more impressive than anything we saw from MS?

It's still no gauge for comparing the power of both machines, but it does get me excited for the possibilities of the next gen.
Sure but I'm sure Xbox's high end first party will do something similarly amazing. We've heard it time and time again but both systems are insanely powerful.

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
Is this thread the true starting point for the next gen console wars? Seems like it lmao

Other then that, next gen will be exciting!

Oct 27, 2017
For all the snazzy trianlges and lighting, it's a shame they still had the squeezing through tight gaps bit, ditto pre-determined climbing points. But I understand this was a tech demo and not a gameplay demo.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Tomb Raider is back!

I have to imagine SE sees this vid, and the reactions, and greenlights a UE5 Tomb Raider Reboot today lol.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Sony first party will do some insane shit with that SSD. Maybe it wasn't overkill afterall, and the system is meticulously balanced.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry I'm just going off what the Epic guy said in the Geoff interview. Sweeney as well bigging up the SSD. He said there's so much polygonal detail being streamed in on the fly, not capable with current gen storage. And the PS5 has twice the bandwidth speed available to it than XSX. Are you saying that won't make any difference at all? Seriously.

"twice as fast as xsx" is relatively small potatoes when both are an order of magnitude faster than current console drives. the XSX drive is still fast enough to enable a load of stuff not possible on current systems.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
Wow it looks great. No having to bake or use normal maps sounds like a massive time saver for developers.

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
They made something extremely impressive, dang. The lighting, the models, it's amazing. What got me most interested, even though I am not a modeler, is that it will allow you to create something in ZBrush and immediately import it into the engine without pre-baking it. I'm sure that saves a lot of time.