• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mean is this actually possible, achieving this type of quality assets in a full game, won't that take a crazy ammount of work?

I'm very impressed by what is achieved here.

Hawko

Apr 23, 2018
Absolutely incredible and stunning. This is the kind of stuff MS should have shown off in their gameplay presser. Next-gen is soon here, boys!

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Where are all the people telling us to lower next gen expectations? Absolutely incredible visuals.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Funny with all this talk about SSDs and zero loading, we get a "character slowly squeezing through a tight space" moment two minutes into the demo.

Jesb

Banned
Feb 14, 2018
If they can make this demo why didn't they just make a tomb raider clone. Looked incredible.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
By the way, Sony made some big brain move here, by having Epic Games literally promoting their upcoming new console for them. :D

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This demo really demonstrates what the PS5 will be capable of, and why it's different than before. I've never seen anything like the final flying scene.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
ffs people are actually calling this game-play, get real, it looks nice but its in engine demo don't kid yourself. Looks good, I personally wasn't blown away but i think that's more of a product of expectations and diminishing returns, games already look good, I'm hoping this new gen will create more complex rich worlds with no load times or artificial looking environments.

It's "game-play" is in it's playable with a controller, on a dev kit. They literally stated this.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's an old "real-time" Unreal 4 demo from 2013 for comparison:

www.youtube.com

Unreal Engine 4 | "Infiltrator" Real-Time Demo (GDC 2013) [EN] | FULL HD

Epic Games revealed its brand new Unreal Engine 4 "Infiltrator" real-time demonstration, which highlights the latest technology for next-gen game development...

FF7R looks about as good as that, so hopefully PS5 games will be able to match this new UE5 demo.
That demo also was never advertised to be running on PS4/Xbox One. It was running on a high-end PC much more capable than either of those consoles.

The fact that today's demo was running real-time on a PS5 is abso-fucking-lutely mind-boggling.

We are in for SUCH a treat with next-gen. Hard to even comprehend.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Crazy impressive, this is next gen.

I imagine that they made it so that games in development now in UE4 will be easily transferrable to UE5, so we won't even have to wait ti 2024 to see the results.

Can't wait for the first PS Studios PS5 games in the next few weeks, good stuff awaits.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
So much for no more loading screens

ezgif-5-b0b92ed0979b.gif

We never should have assumed that all these tight squeeze segments were hiding loading times, some of them were clearly just a cinematic gameplay choice.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
SSD streaming absolutely critical for the performance of this demo.

Tim Sweeney: "Sony's storage is system is absolute world class. Best on any platform. Better than any high-end PC."
We actually do not know what the what the deciding factor in performance in this demo is regarding how it stresses RAM or streaming into RAM. They did not clarify what the memory budget was for anything. We just know that Nanite and Lumen are heavy on the GPU for generating frames at medium resolutions - hence it running at 1440p 30.

Jan 4, 2018
Honestly, initially I was disappointed it ended up being UE5. But then I saw what it was doing and it's pretty nuts. Like, I totally get why people wouldn't be into it (they should have just said what is was ahead of time) but this really is pretty big and cool.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Does Epic have some sort of deal going on with Sony? Because Tim is really talking up the PS5 throughout this. I don't mind but it seems kinda odd.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While this is mindblowing I'm hoping that this will make devs work more efficient than the current technology? Meaning I hope it makes their work 'easier'

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
ffs people are actually calling this game-play, get real, it looks nice but its in engine demo don't kid yourself. Looks good, I personally wasn't blown away but i think that's more of a product of expectations and diminishing returns, games already look good, I'm hoping this new gen will create more complex rich worlds with no load times or artificial looking environments.

So Epic is lying about this then eh? Interesting. What do you base this on?

I'm pretty sure MS prefers to show games

Really? Because there was certainly a lot of CG for stuff like Assassin's Creed in that stream. I think it was a misstep that they won't repeat.

roly82

Apr 2, 2019
Unreal Engine royalties waived on first $1 million in game revenue, good more indies will use UE then.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
This is what we want to see whenever next gen is unveiled, things that were not possible before, not a compilation of hype killing trailers MS did.

Wonder whether Sony is spreading out PS5 announcements, I bet this was part of a conference like the UE4 demo in 2013

We've come along way from that choppy looking trailer

Dec 4, 2017
London

They've just confirmed it's gameplay, even if just a demo.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If all this detail is dependent on the SSD it will be interesting to see how PS5 fares vs XSX with the faster SSD

Haha at all the people running in to say how this isnt gameplay. Obviously they are showing things off in the best light but all of the concepts will be possible for next gen

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Here's an old "real-time" Unreal 4 demo from 2013 for comparison:

www.youtube.com

Unreal Engine 4 | "Infiltrator" Real-Time Demo (GDC 2013) [EN] | FULL HD

Epic Games revealed its brand new Unreal Engine 4 "Infiltrator" real-time demonstration, which highlights the latest technology for next-gen game development...

FF7R looks about as good as that, so hopefully PS5 games will be able to match this new UE5 demo.
That run on a high end PC, never on a console, and never said it would.

This is real time on a PS5. Enormous difference.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the PS5 SSD is twice as fast as the XSX drive, but both are exponentially faster than the storage in existing consoles, and even several times faster than SATA SSDs. both consoles will enable tons of more flexibility in streaming data.