• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should unpaid internships be eliminated?

• Yes, any work should offer a travel stipend or direct payment.

Votes: 819 93.5%
  • No, companies shouldn’t have to pay interns and students to work.

Votes: 57 6.5%

• Total voters

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I remember some years ago when I was looking for an internship to fill my credits quota, I got called for an interview and they said it was an ad honorem internship, I was like "Wait seriously? No way!" and hung up immediately. Fuck that shit lol, I ain't working for free.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Internships for credit are fine IMO, so long as you're doing work that furthers your knowledge of the field and you aren't just getting coffee or something.

Unpaid, no-credit internships are BS, though.

geardo

Oct 27, 2017
I had to do a years worth of internships for my degree and wouldn't wish that on anyone. I was fine because I had some money saved, but not everyone has that. They're bullshit plain and simple.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Back when I was in undergraduate my self-confidence was pretty low and I ended up settling for an unpaid internship in my second year (even though now I realise I could have gotten something paid quite easily had I really tried). I actually ended up enjoying the work (fixing machines in a factory) quite a bit, but yeah, in hindsight not getting paid for >400 hours of work was a big mistake.

kamikazety

Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Unpaid internships can often land a person a job when they graduate. People on this same forum complain about a job requiring experience as entry but don't like the idea of being given opportunities to learn and get experience? Simply stated, take unpaid internships away and expect a lot less job opportunities for people actively in college.

Deleted member 1478

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I don't necessarily disagree with unpaid internships as long as they are advertised as such. It's hard to get experience and fill in your CV so if people go into it with the understanding then I think that's fine.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Unpaid internships can often land a person a job when they graduate. People on this same forum complain about a job requiring experience as entry but don't like the idea of being given opportunities to learn and get experience? Simply stated, take unpaid internships away and expect a lot less job opportunities for people actively in college.

Where's the money coming from to feed and house this unpaid intern? Parents?

kamikazety

Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Where's the money coming from to feed and house this unpaid intern? Parents?

Parents, student loans, spouse... Most unpaid internships in the companies I've worked with aren't full time (10-20hrs wk) and they even allow students to use work-related projects for school papers and projects. Having a part-time job on top of the internships isn't unheard of.

I'll go a step further and say that internships that pay minimum wage or a few dollars an hour over are trash. For one they don't let you negotiate pay and two they almost always bait you into doing some big important project that the higher ups don't want to pay professionals to do. Like fuck multinationals that don't pay their interns well.

Quzar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
All work is exploited labor in our current system, this is just the logical conclusion to it.

LastCaress

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
What if you got this internship but still got paid for the work that you did? Pretty awesome getting paid for work that is being done!

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I find it weird that some people are saying it is like unpaid training and is fine - when in the real world, if a company is using trainees, they have to pay them. I don't see why intern work should be unpaid while they're already paying a school. Companies aren't doing it to be sweet and kind, they are doing it because they get cheap training of potential employees and good PR in the student pool they need to recruit from at starter salaries. Only in an internship have I been asked to be "trained" In a job I'm doing for them for no money and my expenses.

If that logic held, nobody would pay interns and nobody would be bothered by it. But that's not reality, and there's massive inequality in internships due to expectations they have without pay.

Oct 30, 2017
Internships for credit are fine IMO, so long as you're doing work that furthers your knowledge of the field and you aren't just getting coffee or something.

Unpaid, no-credit internships are BS, though.
Legally, unpaid interns aren't allowed to do anything but unproductive work, though, like getting coffee. They cannot do anything that paid employees do for that employer. If they do then they have to get paid.

If course this is usually only followed never.

Edit: I shouldn't say that so matter-of-factly, but that's my recollection from previous information. I'm sure it varies by state as well.

Edit the second: Here's what the department of labor says:

• The internship is similar to training that would be given in an educational environment.
  • The internship experience is for the benefit of the intern.
  • The intern doesn't displace regular employees and works under close supervision of existing staff.
  • The employer doesn't gain an immediate advantage from the intern's activities—and on occasion the employer's operations may be impeded by the intern's activities.
  • The intern isn't guaranteed a job at the end of the program.
  • The employer and the intern each understand that the internship is unpaid.

Oct 27, 2017
I work for a company in the DC area that does paid internships. Many of our full time employees previously came from the intern program so it only makes sense to pay them for their work. If you contribute to the company you should get paid, simple as that. With that being said, there are still tons of politically motivated companies in DC that view internships as some sort of charity work towards their party goals.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It depends.
If the internship is shorter than 6 weeks and the work is purely about getting an education (some universities here require them), then it's fine I guess.

If we're talking about people who finished their education and are paid in "experience" then no.
This

Universities here in France are so bad with this.
I had to do 3 and 4 month internships each year, no one from the uni cared if it was paied or not, and if you didn't do them you couldn't pass.

Nov 18, 2017
I once asked about an internship at double fine while i was in uni, i lost my damn mind when they said okay but then it sank when they said it was unpaid.

How on earth is a working class kid supposed to get across the atlantic and survive in one of the most expensive cities in the world on 0 money.

Nothing against double fine, i wouldve loved to have done it but it did break my heart knowing i couldnt get the same opportunities as richer kids.

They're incredibly restrictive against poorer people from poor families, they shouldnt be allowed in my opinion but i am pretty biased.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We've had both unpaid and paid internships in the past. The unpaid ones are for kids with basically zero skills, there's nothing to actually pay them for, they are providing negative value to the business. We spend some time giving them things to work on but it's all disposable stuff that's just so they get some experience working in an office.

If a kid's working on actual client work then sure, they get paid. There's room for both types.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I was desperate, so I took an unpaid internship right before my final semester of college. It was about 20 hours a week for 2.5-3 months over a summer and really wasn't that involved. I can sort of understand it being unpaid since it was easy and I was inexperienced, but I'll not say that unpaid internships should exist. It sucked. I was unemployed in college, and really needed money (my car died midway through). I only did it in hopes to use it as a means to embellish my resume for a real job. Fortunately it worked out.

?oe?oe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My uni wanted us to pay them a subject fee (~$1000) so we could apply for an unpaid intern as a student. Shits shady.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, it's fucking ridiculous especially when it's the government. Goddamn federal agencies had their good time paying me nothing during law school except a travel stipend for the metro.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Life is full of choices, lol.

This is one of those things where I think a person should be less concerned about how a thing should be in an ideal world and understand how it is and just get it done.
Your argument is disingenuous because most students are not experienced enough to know what is best for them and are more prone to getting themselves in unfavorable situations. Also not all fields have tons of internship so some students will be forced to do unpaid work if they can't find any. And lets be completely honest and say that a lot of internships actually do require you to do real work. Work that people at that company actually get paid for. It's ridiculous that they are not paid for.

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
Legally, unpaid interns aren't allowed to do anything but unproductive work, though, like getting coffee. They cannot do anything that paid employees do for that employer. If they do then they have to get paid.

If course this is usually only followed never.

Edit: I shouldn't say that so matter-of-factly, but that's my recollection from previous information. I'm sure it varies by state as well.

Edit the second: Here's what the department of labor says:

• The internship is similar to training that would be given in an educational environment.
  • The internship experience is for the benefit of the intern.
  • The intern doesn't displace regular employees and works under close supervision of existing staff.
  • The employer doesn't gain an immediate advantage from the intern's activities—and on occasion the employer's operations may be impeded by the intern's activities.
  • The intern isn't guaranteed a job at the end of the program.
  • The employer and the intern each understand that the internship is unpaid.
I regularly take vet tech intern during their schooling (they have to do a 5 week externship during their class). In the past I have taken veterinarian student too for one of their 3 week externship. I also take in high school student for their coop externship (they do that instead of going to classes).

All of those are unpaid. I do this to help their formation. It actually cost me money to host them. The school system pays me nothing to do their practical formation and I get no tax credit either. These are part of their teaching and they get school credit for it.

All of the thing you posted in regards to department of labor totally applies in these cases (though I am in Canada).

My business partner (and wife) would rather go without because it take a lot of resource of our business to teach those students.

All those students are very grateful of the mentoring I provide. They get are getting a lot of valuable practical experience. A lot of place they don't take them because they far from useful.

The only reason I do this is to hep out the veterinary community. This is purely volunteer work on my part.

I couldn't take them is I had to paid them and no one else would either. The money I lose doing it over the year can be measured in the TENs of thousands of dollars.

I totally agree some unpaid internship are pure bullshit but some are totally legitimate.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Your argument is disingenuous because most students are not experienced enough to know what is best for them and are more prone to getting themselves in unfavorable situations. Also not all fields have tons of internship so some students will be forced to do unpaid work if they can't find any. And lets be completely honest and say that a lot of internships actually do require you to do real work. Work that people at that company actually get paid for. It's ridiculous that they are not paid for.

Most people regardless of age struggle to find situations that are "what's best for them". So that's not really what I'm factoring in.

Look, read my other comments in the thread, I've already agreed that internships should be more educational and not just using folks for free labor.

Like everything unpleasant in life that we do to get to the next level sometimes we gotta just get it done regardless. Should it be paid? Sure. And every Tuesday should be free ice cream day. But in the real world some are paid and most aren't. Ideally? They'd be unpaid, 100% educational and take real life workload into account.

Yes, companies definitely try to get over. Companies are NOT your friend. The best you can currently hope is to use them just like they use you. But In terms of how things should be with companies? If you're getting a degree to get a job you might as well rip that band aid off before graduation because oh boy do I got some bad news for you....

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Lol. It's literally illegal TO pay students during their teaching internship in Florida. I guess for a business yeah they should pay, but when it comes to education, where the hell would that money even come from?

Oct 28, 2017
Right now unpaid internships go only to those who are already well-off and don't have to worry about their daily expenses, robbing the less privileged of opportunity and moving society ever further from a meritocracy. So yes they should absolutely disappear.

Oct 28, 2017
Uh. What? False. Is this anecdotal evidence? Receipts please.
It's logic. If you are a student who needs to work over the summer to pay for food and shelter, are you going to be able to instead spend that summer working for free? Or is the middle class kid whose parents pay for their upkeep going to take that internship? If you only provide unpaid internships, you are offering an opportunity only to those who can afford to give up their free time.

moneywoes

Nov 17, 2017
They're completely illegal in Canada, unless you're a student and receiving University credit for your work.

This is important: if you're in Canada and you spot an unpaid internship, report them. There are people who actually care. I've seen multiple companies in Vancouver get heavily fined, and forced to give all their interns (past and present) backpay.

Where can I do that? I've seen many ( Vancouver)