• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
The Amazon.fr page revealed huge sizes anyways:

Height: 47.6 cm
Width: 38.2 cm
Depth: 12.6 cm

VS 15.1x15.1x30.1 for the Series X

PS5 weights 4.78kg and SX weights 4.45kg

The OCD in me is actually more bothered about the Xbox Series X not being 15 x 15 x 30...!

They are both big, heavy and not going to fit inside plenty of folks TV units, mine included (although the PlayStation 5 will just about manage to squeeze in mine).

In terms of overall volume, how can you work out what's more 'volume-y' between the two using those dimensions? Maths has always been my weakest subject ... 🧮

How long did it take the PS4 Slim to release?

According to Wikipedia, the slimline model came out on the 16th of September in 2016, less than three years (34 months to be precise) after the original PlayStation 4 was available.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
According to Wikipedia, the slimline model came out on the 16th of September in 2016, less than three years (34 months to be precise) after the original PlayStation 4 was available.

So about the same time as the Pro then

God a PS5 Pro that's 30% bigger than the standard PS5 is gonna have it's own post code

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
The Amazon.fr page revealed huge sizes anyways:

Height: 47.6 cm
Width: 38.2 cm
Depth: 12.6 cm

VS 15.1x15.1x30.1 for the Series X

PS5 weights 4.78kg and SX weights 4.45kg
How do you ppl believe in this crap is beyond me... this one are the dimensions, base on disc size, usb and gamepads sticks and buttons:

Play-Station-5-Comparison-v2.png

Those Amazon.fr mesurements are bullshit.... but this is what happen when people have no idea of what they are talking about.
Again, Arex did the only good one mockup in this topic and the width is between 23 and 26cm.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
How do you ppl believe in this crap is beyond me... this one are the dimensions, base on disc size, usb and gamepads sticks and buttons:

Those Amazon.fr mesurements are bullshit.... but this is what happen when people have no idea of what they are talking about.
Again, Arex did the only good one mockup in this topic and the width is between 23 and 26cm.
Its mosty likely packaging sizes.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I think there is close to a 50% difference in size on the side, even including stand. Pretty far from nearly zero.

Look at the disc version - take the width when vertical of the PS5's widest point (top and bottom) - its like 70% of the XsX. Then thats going to increase with the stand - I mean its all conjecture until Sony give us the measurements but the difference is not looking big. Hopefully enough for you to get it to fit though

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017

38cm is correct, and the 9cm on that image is not the entire width, it'll probably be around 12cm if you use the points most to the left and right. I agree that 47 is a lot, but it is not a crap measurement.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
38cm is correct, and the 9cm on that image is not the entire width, it'll probably be around 12cm if you use the points most to the left and right. I agree that 47 is a lot, but it is not a crap measurement.
not correct, they're mistaking width for height, and then the false 47 cm number out of nowhere. it is bs.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
You ain't gonna be able to block airflow when they're there.
That's a great point. People are in the habit of putting their consoles in cramped settings. If there weren't any fins, you can bet that some people would have tried to stuff the console wall-to-wall in their barely-fitting TV shelves. To disastrous results, I'd assume.

So the fins aren't an aesthetic choice, but rather just idiot-proof design. Huh.

Kinan

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Good job, this looks correct. My cabinet has 15cm high, and ~45 cm wide sections, PS5 should fit, unlike XSX. Close call though.

Ombala

Oct 30, 2017

I wonder how big the total volume difference will be between the both next gen consoles, prob not as big as ppl think.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Please, not the first or the last time that width, height and depth are not what they should be. You know they change names when you measure them from a different angle, right?
I think you're also wrong with the 12 cm figure. it is 9 cm. it looks thicker at the bottom but it really isn't. so that's 2 figures wrong from amazon.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Look at the disc version - take the width when vertical of the PS5's widest point (top and bottom) - its like 70% of the XsX. Then thats going to increase with the stand - I mean its all conjecture until Sony give us the measurements but the difference is not looking big. Hopefully enough for you to get it to fit though
1/0.7 = 1.43x, ok, so you think it's 43% difference? Well, that's not so far from 50% difference :) We don't disagree too much, and I think these comparisons have pretty big margin of error. Also, personally I'm getting the digital version.

Kinan

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Its gonna be wide. Look how wide the ps3 slim was and the ps4 pro. Its gonna be huge. Xbox will advertise worlds most powerful console. Sony will advertise worlds biggest console lol

Look, we can be pretty sure that it will not be as wide/deep as it is high. Perspective or not, its not even close to be a square from a side view. And we know that it is 38cm high, give or take 0.5cm. 24cm width is a pretty good guess for now until we get good side view or official data.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
I think you're also wrong with the 12 cm figure. it is 9 cm. it looks thicker at the bottom but it really isn't. so that's 2 figures wrong from amazon.
Not saying it is thicker on the bottom, just that it is the size of the rectangle that covers all of the front of the console, so it is larger than what you measure in only one spot.
Also, no way the packaging is only 12cm, there's almost no space for cables and manuals on the Z axis. Remember you need padding around the console.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
a lot of this confusion is on Sony not delving deeper into the hardware right after that show. A simple page with shots and dimensions would have cleared up a lot of confusion.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Not saying it is thicker on the bottom, just that it is the size of the rectangle that covers all of the front of the console, so it is larger than what you measure in only one spot.
Also, no way the packaging is only 12cm, there's almost no space for cables and manuals on the Z axis. Remember you need padding around the console.

you mean the stand? if I'm going to place it horizontally, and the reason 9 cm matters, that stand goes away. the console itself is 9 cm thick.
you'll probably need a different stand to place it horizontally though. but we don't know how much it will add. but it won't be 3 cm that's for sure.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
you mean the stand? if I'm going to place it horizontally, and the reason 9 cm matters, that stand goes away. the console itself is 9 cm thick.
you'll probably need a different stand to place it horizontally though. but we don't know how much it will add. but it won't be 3 cm that's for sure.
Not the stand. The console itself. Draw a rectangle that covers every bit of the front, it's larger than 9cm.
Also, the stand is the same for horizontal and vertical positions, that's why it is a different shape on the all digital.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
ERA: god I hope Sony fixes the heat issue so PS5 doesn't sound like a jet engine
also ERA: lolol PS5 looks huge, why is it so huge

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Not the stand. The console itself. Draw a rectangle that covers every bit of the front, it's larger than 9cm.
Also, the stand is the same for horizontal and vertical positions, that's why it is a different shape on the all digital.
well, i don't know what you're measuring it with but it is 9 cm (the console itself) just look at the picture. and you wont be using the same stand when placed horizontal, the makes no sense.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

Those two 9 cm width rules aren't aligned, though. Neither covers the complete width of the system — the line at the top ignores that the system extends further to the right at the lower line, and the line at the bottom ignores that the system extends further to the left at the higher line. The total width of the system is wider than 9 cm. And when horizontal, the stand also elevates the system slightly.

Honestly, including the stand, ~12cm height in horizontal mode looks about right to me. Remember that we wouldn't just be measuring to the height of the center of the system, but to the height of the right edge.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Those two 9 cm width rules aren't aligned, though. Neither covers the complete width of the system — the line at the top ignores that the system extends further to the right at the lower line, and the line at the bottom ignores that the system extends further to the left at the higher line. The total width of the system is wider than 9 cm. And when horizontal, the stand also elevates the system slightly.

Honestly, including the stand, ~12cm height in horizontal mode looks about right to me. Remember that we wouldn't just be measuring to the height of the center of the system, but to the height of the right edge.
if you get a ruler and measure it from the picture, they're exactly the same width, top and bottom. at least from the picture.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah, the console itself is more than 9cm, and with the stand, 12cm is very possible.
However, if the measurements are correct, 47cm is a LOT.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
if you get a ruler and measure it from the picture, they're exactly the same width, top and bottom. at least from the picture.

I'm not saying that those "9 cm" lines aren't the same length. They are. I'm saying that neither covers the full width of the system.

Draw a vertical line down from the right edge of the top 9 cm line. Draw a vertical line up from the left edge of the lower 9cm line.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
An absolute unit.

I hope people remember that XSX uses two motherboards (still unsure how they are linked) whereas PS5 is using one (more traditional).
Digital Foundry has us all covered.

youtu.be

DF Direct: Hands-On With Xbox Series X + Impressions + Xbox One X Size Comparisons!

A very special DF Direct shot on location in the US, directly after John and Rich went hands-on with Xbox Series X - and even constructed the machine from it...

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Thicc and wavvy

Actually, if those proportions are accurate, the PS5 isn't much taller than the XSEX except for the elongated fins. I assume those were designed to keep the vents unobstructed, especially if placing it horizontally.