• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
For comparison's sake I added the software sales from official Nintendo figures and I ended up with ~4.79 billion game.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
I think it's so lame that Sony hides vita's numbers.

It's over 7 years now, nobody cares anymore, release then for the benefit of history!

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Switch hype plus PS4 library should be chefkiss.jpg, but who knows in this crazy world.
I mean if it actually was a portable PS4. This would sell literally fucking mountains, but the ps4 is in no way gonna be able to run even more then 2 hours so i don't trust it happening.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Psp seems low seeming it sold like 70 million?
Sony stopped reporting handheld software and hardware numbers in 2012 while the PS3 numbers are up until March 2019. Sony's official PSP hardware and software numbers are therefore a bit lower than reality. All this to cover up how poorly the Vita was doing probably.

It's not secret that Sony found PSP software numbers disappointing though and blamed piracy for it. The attach rate for the PSP was probably significantly weaker than for the PS3. Not quite that low though but it's hard to say how much is missing. Could be 10 million, could be 100. The PSP was still going somewhat strong in Japan in 2012 when Sony stopped reporting and it's impossible to know how many digital PSP games the average Vita owner bought.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Playstation 5 logo reveal, 5 million instagram likes, 5 billion games sold...

tenor.gif

It's one big PS5 marketing push.

CNij2fnUYAAXkA9.png

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Sony stopped reporting handheld software and hardware numbers in 2012 while the PS3 numbers are up until March 2019. Sony's official PSP hardware and software numbers are therefore a bit lower than reality. All this to cover up how poorly the Vita was doing probably.

It's not secret that Sony found PSP software numbers disappointing though and blamed piracy for it. The attach rate for the PSP was probably significantly weaker than for the PS3. Not quite that low though but it's hard to say how much is missing. Could be 10 million, could be 100. The PSP was still going somewhat strong in Japan in 2012 when Sony stopped reporting and it's impossible to know how many digital PSP games the average Vita owner bought.

All handhelds in history have had lower tie ratio than PS3. I mean DS sold less software than PS3 despite selling like 70 million units more hardware.

Historical tie ratios:
Game Boy: 4.22
WonderSwan: 2.86
Game Boy Advance: 4.63
Nintendo DS: 6.16
PlayStation Portable: 4.38
Nintendo 3DS: 5.04

I mean PSP has lowish tie ratio but in line with GB and GBA.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Vita was too good for this world.

It really was. :(

Such a fantastic handheld. I own over 270 games for that beautiful bastard. It's a nice mix of PS1, PSP, and Vita games, but a ton to play for sure. Leave me on a desert island for a few years with my Vita, and I'd still have a shit ton of games to play and get through. I'd have loved to see a proper successor to the Vita (with 4 shoulder buttons, and clickable L3 and R3 analog buttons; basically a PS4 controller with a screen XD XD ).

My hope is one day Sony finds its way back to the handheld market. The Switch is a wonderful system, but I'm a big fan of Sony first party studios and titles, and would love to have some of their titles on the go. Hell, just give me a handheld PlayStation that can play PS1 and PS2 classics, and I'd be happy with that too. I don't expect a portable PlayStation to be able to run PS3 and PS4 games without melting my hands and/or sounding like a jet engine (why not both?). Not to mention garbage battery life.