• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I just found out that Xemnas's English voice actor is also the narrator/announcer in Soulcalibur VI and now I want Xemnas in Soulcalibur.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
ok, I encountered a very annoying bug, every voiced dialogue in the overworld is now muted.

somebody else in the same boat?

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Ansems Guardian being Terra was a thing that was hinted at/ shown in BBS. So it existed for long enough I guess. Certainly not in KH tho. But some of the forshadowing was great, would have been better if Xehanorts final words werent mistranslated.

Yeah way to drop the ball. Many now think Nort suddenly changed goals when he just went even more psycho

"Does that Xehanort scare me like nobody's busines... the way he can see into minds."
"I got my hands full with my own plans."
YX mansplaining keyblades and No Name to Luxu.

I love it lol

You can see the close up on his eye when YX starts talking about it.

"Bitch are you explaining MY Keyblade to me?"

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
He doesn't want a world "Pure and Bright" implying its full of light he wants an "Empty" world for him to shape as he likes

I guess I kinda got that implication off of the lines we got. He was basically saying he wanted to kill everyone and start over, so I didn't get too hung up on his word choice, hah.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I kinda got that implication off of the lines we got. He was basically saying he wanted to kill everyone and start over, so I didn't get too hung up on his word choice, hah.
I agree I understood that too, but people are complaining about how Xehanort was a "good" guy all along. When hes basically KH's version of Thanos. They also mistranslated Sora's lines making him sound super contradictory of his character.

clockstrikes

Oct 27, 2017
He doesn't want a world "Pure and Bright" implying its full of light he wants an "Empty" world for him to shape as he likes
"The light of Kingdom Hearts, it can give us a new start. An empty world, pure and bright."

He still says he wants an empty world. Not that the localization can't be improved but I think people are getting too hung up on the "pure and bright" part for what it is literally, rather than what it represents.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Man Xemnas got such a raw deal. Didn't get his fancy coat. Had grown a heart and everything but still bites the dust. Give my boi a replica Nomura.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
Hi

Everytime a day passes I get more disappoint.

By the way the time chamber thing from Merlin is the biggest plot issue of all of KH

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Imagine being so angry at one specific individual that your armor remains animate through the very force of your undying rage.

exm2h4v138621.png

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
KH3 Final Mix DLC better have Ansem SoD and Xemnas on that beach is all I'm saying.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
What did they mistranslate?

This plus some Vanitas stuff:

***KH3 SPOILERS*** Okay, so there's something I've been wanting to talk about that happens near the very end of the game, and I will speak about it in this thread: Xehanort's final speech.

In said speech, Xehanort finally seems to explain his motivations. He views the world as a failure because the weakness of man plunged the original World into ruin. Ever since, the world has become a lost cause in his eyes, and he aims to reset it in order to set things right.

That's all fine and good, except for one thing that bothered me. Some of Xehanort's lines implied that he had suddenly shifted his stance towards darkness. In all previous games, he was the biggest advocator of darkness, even accusing the light of being 'tyrannical'.

He always desired the two forces to be in perfect balance because he believed that equilibrium between light and darkness was the true natural state of the universe and that everyone and everything would thrive upon existing in balance with the universe.

So when Xehanort says things like wanting "an empty World; pure and bright" it didn't make total sense to me. Why would a guy who wanted balance suddenly be only concerned with creating a "pure and bright" world void of darkness?

However, just recently, people have been combing through the differences between the Japanese and English dialogue in KH3, and there are some small but important differences in many scenes toward the ending.

Example: Vanitas' dialogue just before he dies in the Japanese version is expanded upon much more than what he says in English. He explains why he accepts his nature as the darkness of both Sora and Ventus, and how by being himself, it allows Sora and Ventus to be who they are.

He chooses to be darkness because it completes Sora and Ventus. While there are bits of this in the English version it is explained much better in Japanese. Vanitas accepts his context to both Sora and Ventus, and he is alright with the role he plays among their "trio" of sorts.

During Xehanort's final speech, when he says "pure and bright" the word 'bright' is misused here. Xehanort actually says the Japanese phrase for "blank". In other words, like a blank canvas. Xehanort is alluding to a world in which the world is reset to a completely blank slate.

Xehanort's quest in his youth was his curiosity about the darkness. Why did everyone fear it? Why was he told to destroy it if darkness was a natural force of the universe? When no one gave him answers, he went looking for them himself.

This lead to him donning the title of "The Seeker of Darkness", and his quest to unlock the secrets of the Keyblade War and Kingdom Hearts. His quest for answers caused him to lose his sense of self in an obsessive pursuit of ultimate truth.

But, throughout the decades of his many many backup plans, Xehanort eventually comes to the realization that his desire for perfect equilibrium between light and darkness is not sustainable long-term.

As long as there are people, darkness would devour the light. And the light would later shine brighter to banish the darkness. There will be no balance; only an eternal and chaotic struggle of both sides with the scales between them shifting many countless times.

To achieve true everlasting balance, a reset must occur, with him at the helm of the New World to dictate its destiny and prevent it from "failing" yet again.

There is also an obvious allusion to the events of Chi here, as Xehanort also mentions "darkness spreading across the world like a plague" as well as his intention to "stop the weak from polluting the world with their endless darkness".

It's no coincidence that a lot of the plot elements in Chi are meant to allude to a classic "Paradise Lost" scenario. The Foretellers are all named after the Seven Deadly Sins, and Dark Chirithy even outright says the word "sin" in KHUX, referring to the power of "guilt".

It seems that in his study of the Lost Masters, Xehanort began to realize how his initial belief about the perfect balance of light and darkness was impossible. Even in the past when the World existed as a perfect paradise, it inevitably gave way to destruction.

Xehanort believes that the entire system, the cycle of light and darkness creating and destroying each other endlessly, is in and of itself flawed and leads to a neverending cycle of pain and heartache.

So, the only permanent solution is to completely reset the world to a blank slate, erasing everything and ensuring that the cycle finally ends once and for all.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I agree I understood that too, but people are complaining about how Xehanort was a "good" guy all along. When hes basically KH's version of Thanos. They also mistranslated Sora's lines making him sound super contradictory of his character.

What'd they mistranslate for Sora?

I'm starting to wonder if some of KH's confusing elements are because of bad translations.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Vanitas' difference between translations:

EN: Because I am darkness. And I do stand by your side. I'm the shadow that you cast. How much closer could I be?

JP: It's my reason for being born. It is because I am darkness that you both belong to the light. If that isn't 'working together' I don't know what is.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
During Xehanort's final speech, when he says "pure and bright" the word 'bright' is misused here. Xehanort actually says the Japanese phrase for "blank". In other words, like a blank canvas. Xehanort is alluding to a world in which the world is reset to a completely blank slate.

Ugh. A perfect opportunity to have Xehanort say he wants things "simple and clean" and they blew it. :p

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

EN: Because I am darkness. And I do stand by your side. I'm the shadow that you cast. How much closer could I be?

JP: It's my reason for being born. It is because I am darkness that you both belong to the light. If that isn't 'working together' I don't know what is.
The lines really aren't that different. The English version is more poetic. I dig it.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Fuuuuuck the translation team really dropped the ball...

I think the second sounds much better

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017

Both of these are saying the exact same thing.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
This is one of those cases where the literal Japanese translation isn't the only or best translation.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
That doesn't sound that different

"A real leader knows that destiny is beyond his control and accepts that"
Thats not the same thing. Sora has essentially been changing his Destiny the entire time. What he said is that Xehanort shouldnt have total control in the Japanese version. Including everyones elses.

Ultimania is coming this week as per normal we should have a bunch of answers and probably more questions.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yo the Gummi Ship was fun.

100 everything bar I need one Crystal, a couple levels, and like 300 Heartless to hit 999...

The Frozen Slider on the other hand...I can't get 600,000 for the life of me.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Thats not the same thing. Sora has essentially been changing his Destiny the entire time. What he said is that Xehanort shouldnt have total control in the Japanese version. Including everyones elses.

Ultimania is coming this week as per normal we should have a bunch of answers and probably more questions.
He literally says "You're not that person, Xehanort"

The opening line of the game has Sora accepting fate. Unless that's a mistranslation too.

Oct 25, 2017
Sora basically saying you can't change destiny, no one has a right to. Where what he is really saying is that Xehanort has no right to control destiny in the Japanese version.

That's what he's saying in the English version too. His line is in direct response to Xehanort taking about controlling other people's destinies. Sora isn't saying anything about just accepting your fate; he's taking about how you can't control everyone's destiny for them.

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
i had seen accusations of mistranslations beforehand but honestly a lot of it reads like semantics to me
this situation comes up almost all the time without fail. at this point i can't help but chalk it up as folks trying to flex their jp degree or whatever

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I know people hated it, but I miss reaction commands as it added extra flair to battles and it was visually pleasing to see Sora do so many cool moves. I don't think it was worth removing to make 3 more challenging.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
i had seen accusations of mistranslations beforehand but honestly a lot of it reads like semantics to me
this situation comes up almost all the time without fail. at this point i can't help but chalk it up as folks trying to flex their jp degree or whatever

It's extremely weird to me. The exact same messages and points come across just fine in the localizations lol

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I know people hated it, but I miss reaction commands as it added extra flair to battles and it was visually pleasing to see Sora do so many cool moves. I don't think it was worth removing to make 3 more challenging.

I rather do the cool shit than have it done for me.
Reaction commands were pure "Press X to Awesome" only decent ones were the ones that consisted on quick moves, like reversal or parrying Sephiroth

DeSolos

Nov 14, 2017
Lingering will is Terra's Nobody
No, it's exactly what it sounds like. It is Terra's will that lingers on in his suit of armor.
KH3 Journal entry:
Information
A suit of armor imbued with Terra's thoughts and wishes.

A Nobody is an empty shell of a body. Terra's body and heart were taken over by Xehanort at the end of BBS. If Terra has a Nobody, it's Xemnas.

RockGun90

Jul 28, 2018
So is anyone else thinking the next KH game is going to be Switch exclusive? Haven't read the whole thread (323 pages now) and am not sure if anyone else brought it up. Since every sequel to a numbered KH has been on a Nintendo platform and in the secret ending, Sora's in TWEWY which recently was rereleased on Switch. Also, those talks about how KH III couldn't be on Switch and how they wanted to do something with it (I think).

Any logic to this or am I just reaching?

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I don't know if we could look at the above and say that sets a precedent, because that is ultimately dependent on well... what Nintendo does with their platform strategy and success.

I feel differently in a few ways.

Firstly, in the past few years, KH has been 'catching up' with the decisions it made in the past to release games across different platforms, and ended up having to do rereleases/remasters/etc on the X.5 versions of the games to tell stories that were not easily accessible to audiences. I feel like the logic behind that mindset means that moving forward, they do not intend to release games in the franchise that 'split the audiences' further.

Secondly, the days of multiple KH releases were very much contributed by the fact that there's multiple KH development teams. Those days are over, and SE Osaka is pretty much the sole KH team right now. The success of KH3, imo - defines a path forward to be more focused on mainline quality releases.

And lastly, unless they plan for the Secret Movie of KH3 to take place across 2 different KH games, I highly doubt Verum Rex world would be in a Switch exclusive. It's Nomura's trojan horse to retell a portion of his vision for FFVs13, he's gonna put that in a full-blown KH4.