• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Every single KH game, even KH2FM has a long laundry list of issues. KH as a franchise is arguably one of the most easily criticisable in terms of character and story structure. Every single KH game is poorly paced where everything is back-loaded.

But I love it in spite of that.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
I was really wanting to be there for when Roxas and Ventus finally talked to each other. All we got was that little look when they ran into each other.

The look said it all. Lol.

My thoughts exactly.

I think potential DLC has a better base to improve from than KH2FM did with its vanilla release, though (Though I'm not sure if I'm alone for thinking that)

For example, as godlike as Cavern of Remembrance is, it's still more or less a band-aid solution for KH2's level design issue.

I think so. I already think 3 is stellar, and I actually didn't play KH2FM until waaay after 2. So... 2 vs 3, as they were when I played them first thing, I enjoyed 3 more. 2 had some amazing stuff, but 3 is really good.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
The look said it all. Lol.

I think so. I already think 3 is stellar, and I actually didn't play KH2FM until waaay after 2. So... 2 vs 3, as they were when I played them first thing, I enjoyed 3 more. 2 had some amazing stuff, but 3 is really good.

I think it's unfair to put 3 up against the FM's

And even then I's final mix Ultima Weapon requirements are fucking unforgivable bullshit

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's unfair to put 3 up against the FM's

And even then I's final mix Ultima Weapon requirements are fucking unforgivable bullshit

Yah, which is why I mention 2 vs 3 as I played them: at release. I think 3 is probably stronger. There's a lot I loved about 2 back in 2005, but man. The Disney worlds in 3, that last 5 hours. I'm just happy (and heartbroken lol).

I thiiiink I didn't get ultima in 1. My major achievement in 1 was beating Sephiroth haha. I did get ultima in 2, though, and I mean to get ultima in 3.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really excited for the inevitable Final Mix DLC. It will probably work like the FF XV royal edition where they priced the DLC 15 dollars for the base game owners.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
A big part of KHIII's story problems are simply a result of the whole structure of the franchise where we visit Disney worlds that are more or less accurate recreations of the Disney movies & their stories and then move on to the next one. It's just impossible to make that kind of structure work with a well-flowing narrative, especially with all the restrictions DISNEY puts on how much these worlds & their characters can interact.

KHIII is no different from other KHs in that regard. In KH1, Sora goes around worlds looking for Riku & Kairi, while we occasionally see the villains scheme their schemes & some short plot advancing stuff between some worlds and then a vast majority of the story is crammed into the final quarter of the game. Sora never really advances anything in the Disney worlds, except run into Riku a couple of times. In KHII Sora looks for Riku and King Mickey, while we occasionally see the villains scheme their schemes and most of the story is crammed into the last quarter of the story. I do feel like KHIII also suffers from being the finale that has already had sooooooo much build-up in three prior stories. There's really not a whole lot more left but to save Aqua & Ven and then go to the final confrontation. Sora looking for this power of awakening is stretched pretty thin.

That said, I do feel KHIII is probably the most involved the Disney worlds have been since KH1, though pretty much all of it revolves around the villains' actions (though there are some thematic connections to Sora's struggles too). Sora doesn't achieve much but we see the villains do their experiments and setting up what they are doing behind the scenes, so it's not like nothing of importance happens in the worlds.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
A big part of KHIII's story problems are simply a result of the whole structure of the franchise where we visit Disney worlds that are more or less accurate recreations of the Disney movies & their stories and then move on to the next one. It's just impossible to make that kind of structure work with a well-flowing narrative, especially with all the restrictions DISNEY puts on how much these worlds & their characters can interact.

KHIII is no different from other KHs in that regard. In KH1, Sora goes around worlds looking for Riku & Kairi, while we occasionally see the villains scheme their schemes & some short plot advancing stuff between some worlds and then a vast majority of the story is crammed into the final quarter of the game. Sora never really advances anything in the Disney worlds, except run into Riku a couple of times. In KHII Sora looks for Riku and King Mickey, while we occasionally see the villains scheme their schemes and most of the story is crammed into the last quarter of the story. I do feel like KHIII also suffers from being the finale that has already had sooooooo much build-up in three prior stories. There's really not a whole lot more left but to save Aqua & Ven and then go to the final confrontation. Sora looking for this power of awakening is stretched pretty thin.

That said, I do feel KHIII is probably the most involved the Disney worlds have been since KH1, though pretty much all of it revolves around the villains' actions (though there are some thematic connections to Sora's struggles too). Sora doesn't achieve much but we see the villains do their experiments and setting up what they are doing behind the scenes, so it's not like nothing of importance happens in the worlds.
I think BBS did it the best. The Disney Worlds were pretty cool because each character was doing character development while running into the people in the Disney worlds. Whether it was Ven growing up or Terra succumbing to the darkness I felt that they were different the moment they felt any Disney world.

Oct 25, 2017

I'd put it third in that regard behind the original and BBS, but yeah, it definitely does a much better job at involving the Disney worlds than 2 or DDD did.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The pacing in 3 feels off compared to the other 2 games because there's no mid point where the plot moves forward in a big way like 2 has. There's no feeling of slowly chipping away at your goal by getting to bump off at least a few of the Organization early because it's saving them all for the climactic battle. It's structured more like 3D where the plot is largely backloaded.

I think every Kingdom Hearts game suffers from this to some extent and I don't think it hurts the game all that much. Just feels weird for the plot to basically not move at all for the major characters until the climax.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really looking forward to a final mix type expansion with a longer secret movie. I want to know what was up with the Yozora stuff!

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I am honestly not a fan of changing color scheme in Final Mix.
Not against the change itself, but I always feel they look worse compared to the original.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
It would make it worse imo.

Having a sequence where you go to the end-game dungeon, but is met with "oops, your level is too low, go grind further" would be a real downer piece to suddenly go do another 10 hours of content before final arc.
If I were allowed the privelege to add/remix content here and there, this would be how I do it.

- Move the Anti-Aqua fight to the 60% mark of Disney World
- Make it so that there's a short level where you play as Sora going through the Realm of Darkness before reaching Aqua/Riku/Mickey
- After successfully saving Aqua, she falls into a deep sleep due to the build-up fatigue and due to the darkening side-effect.
- Have some random reason to go to one of the Disney worlds would be to find something that'd help Aqua recover better/faster/etc.
- In between that, also have a sequence where Sora stops by Radiant Garden to try and revive Roxas, but isn't able to due to (reasons)
- At 80% mark, Aqua is restored and now there's a mission to find the way to Castle Oblivion.
- Insert some random story reason to explain why last Disney world has the gateway or shortcut or some way to reach Castle Oblivion and you have Aqua in your party during that last Disney world.
- At 100% mark, you rescue Ven.
- Make it so that Castle Oblivion/Land of Departure is a small labyrinth level where you have to climb up to the top floor to unlock/restore the place
- Rescue Ven
- Proceed to KBW

That way, you'd have Ven's rescue happen later after Aqua's rescue but doesn't feel out of place as to why Aqua didn't immediately go to rescue Ven. And there's story reasons to have more of Aqua involved in the story ( allows more speculation about where's Terranort, etc etc ) among other things.
Doesn't have the power of Waking until he gets to Ven, so theres your "Reasons"

Running the Gauntlet of bosses from ReCOM in Castle Oblivion to make it Land of Departure would be nice, but too much of a slog I guess.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Yeah I am honestly not a fan of changing color scheme in Final Mix.
Not against the change itself, but I always feel they look worse compared to the original.
There's some I like, some I hate. Guard Armor looks like a clown in KH1FM.

But then Phantom turned into this sexy, disembodied beast

So idk. I could go either way, really 🤷

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017
Now I definitely see why people say the game has pacing issue.

They should have spread the og stuff across the Disney worlds, e.g. 2 + og + 2 + og..instead of putting it all by the end.

They also could put Hollow Bastion in with FF characters as a hub for the rescued Aqua etc to stay and interact until the end.

Last edited:

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Now I definitely see why people say the game has pacing issue.

They should have spread the og stuff across the Disney worlds, e.g. 2 + og + 2 + og..instead put it all by the end.

They also could put Hollow Bastion in with FF characters as a hub for the rescued Aqua etc to stay and interact until the end.
It definitely needed a mid game original world to act as a bit of a hub.

The amount of cutscenes taking place in Yen Sid's Tower or via Gummiphone was the single most boring decision they've made.

André

Oct 25, 2017
Europe
If I were allowed the privilege to add/remix content here and there, this would be how I do it.

- Make it so that there's a short level where you play as Sora going through the Realm of Darkness before reaching Aqua/Riku/Mickey
- After successfully saving Aqua, she falls into a deep sleep due to the build-up fatigue and due to the darkening side-effect.
- Have some random reason to go to one of the Disney worlds would be to find something that'd help Aqua recover better/faster/etc.
- In between that, also have a sequence where Sora stops by Radiant Garden to try and revive Roxas, but isn't able to due to (reasons)
- At 80% mark, Aqua is restored and now there's a mission to find the way to Castle Oblivion.
- Insert some random story reason to explain why last Disney world has the gateway or shortcut or some way to reach Castle Oblivion and you have Aqua in your party during that last Disney world.
- Make it so that Castle Oblivion/Land of Departure is a small labyrinth level where you have to climb up to the top floor to unlock/restore the place
- Rescue Ven
- Proceed to KBW

That way, you'd have Ven's rescue happen later after Aqua's rescue but doesn't feel out of place as to why Aqua didn't immediately go to rescue Ven. And there's story reasons to have more of Aqua involved in the story ( allows more speculation about where's Terranort, etc etc ) among other things.

Very good post! ✓ Would solve a bunch of my problems with the pacing. I think I can help further. Let's see...

Good, would add the mid-game climax this game desperately needs. Also adds a new explorable area. If they wanted, they could even reuse the areas from 0.2, in order to save on development time. Instead of the door at Destiny Islands leading directly to Riku, it could lead to that place, and Sora needs to go through it. After that everything remains the same, and when Riku calls Sora, it now makes even more sense that he heard him (since they're in the same realm).

Good enough reasoning. Since Aqua would always want to wake Ven up ASAP, her being asleep due to exhaustion and unable to do so would make sense. Yen Sid tells Sora that her heart is fine and she should wake up soon.

There's also no need for a new reason for Sora to go to Disney worlds, since he doesn't get the Power of Waking until Ven is rescued, which in this rework is still after all of the Disney worlds.

Now this is perfect, since it works on multiple levels. Seriously, the way the following works so much better is blowing my mind:

• Moving the Anti-Aqua fight to an earlier spot in the game would also imply moving cutscene (using Theater mode IDs here) "V: The Dark Margin" in order to keep it before the fight.
  • That would allow the following cutscenes to be moved to an earlier place as well: "VII-3: The Old Mansion", "IX-1: Radiant Garden", and "IX-2: Radiant Garden". I just watched them and moving these cutscenes works without reworking them.
  • And look -- what a coincidence! Sora is going to Radiant Garden right now. He can arrive there, and make his way to Ansem's castle. This would give us another explorable original KH world in the middle of the game, something that the game is also dearly missing... This would also be a great opportunity to catch up with the Final Fantasy crew.
  • Sora arrives at Ansem's and confirms that they already have a vessel for Roxas. He can't revive him yet because he's apparently missing "a connection" (which would turn out to be Sora finding Xion and Axel and showing Roxas the way to his friends). Look at what Roxas says in the cutscene when he returns. See how everything fits perfectly? Sora leaves Radiant Garden satisfied, knowing that his mission to bring Roxas back will ultimately be successful if he can help him find that connection.
  • Why is moving those cutscenes to an earlier place important? Because now Radiant Garden works as a finale for the following characters: Ienzo, Vexen, Demyx, and Ansem the Wise. In addition to Ansem making peace with his former pupils, now he can also have a scene with Sora in which he promises to bring Roxas back in order to repent. The other ex-Organization members there can also apologize as well. With the way the game is right now, these characters don't have any more spoken lines after "IX-2: Radiant Garden", which is a disservice to them (Demyx and Vexen in particular).
  • It's also important for the pacing! Now Ienzo, Vexen, Demyx, and Ansem the Wise have their entire plotline in KH3 take place in between only 2 to 3 Disney worlds, instead of the current drip-feeding of scattered cutscenes we have now. The pacing would be more consistent, satisfying, and, more importantly, not backloaded.

Although this would be great and make things more fun, it's also not very realistic because now Aqua needs to be added to all the cutscenes in that world, which would be a ton of work. Also, it would be problematic because the order of Disney worlds is non-linear.

I think it's fine that Aqua simply recuperates and goes searching for Castle Oblivion on her own. After the Disney world, she would simply call Sora on the Gummiphone. Sora joins her, and everything proceeds as normal.

Although not necessary to fix the pacing, all of this sounds great. Castle Oblivion is a bunch of white walls, so adding (just a few) gameplay areas to it shouldn't take very long. Also, Aqua would be a party member there, which is always a plus. They could also add some of the Nobodies that didn't make the cut in the original KH3 to fight there. On the other hand this would mean discarding/reworking the cutscene in which Aqua turns the castle into Land of Departure, so that might be too much work.

- Rescue Ven
- Proceed to KBW

Yep! Done and done!

Not only would all of this fix many of the issues with KH3, it would also rely heavily on resources that are already crafted, making it very cost-effective and efficient!

EDIT: A small addendum, thanks to KuwabaraTheMan's input:
In order for this to work, though, you'd need to have this all happen after The Caribbean (so either you move that world earlier or you force it before San Fransokyo), because of Vexen's involvement in that world's story. So things are still going to be somewhat backloaded in that regard.

Okay, so I forgot Vexen appears in The Caribbean. In order to accomodate this, swapping Monstropolis or Arendelle with The Caribbean would be the most elegant solution. It would also put the open world world (heh) closer to the middle of the game, which makes sense (a place to freely explore whenever you want to take a break from the linearity of other worlds).

This would imply a rework in the balance of the game, but a KH3 Final Mix would (very hopefully) already include that.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Now this is perfect, since it works on multiple levels. Seriously, the way the following works so much better is blowing my mind:

• Moving the Anti-Aqua fight to an earlier spot in the game would also imply moving cutscene (using Theater mode IDs here) "V: The Dark Margin" in order to keep it before the fight.
  • That would allow the following cutscenes to be moved to an earlier place as well: "VII-3: The Old Mansion", "IX-1: Radiant Garden", and "IX-2: Radiant Garden". I just watched them and moving these cutscenes works without reworking them.
  • And look -- what a coincidence! Sora is going to Radiant Garden right now. He can arrive there, and make his way to Ansem's castle. This would give us another explorable original KH world in the middle of the game, something that the game is also dearly missing... This would also be a great opportunity to catch up with the Final Fantasy crew.
  • Sora arrives at Ansem's and confirms that they already have a vessel for Roxas. He can't revive him yet because he's apparently missing "a connection" (which would turn out to be Sora finding Xion and Axel and showing Roxas the way to his friends). See what Roxas says in the cutscene when he returns. See how everything fits perfectly? Sora leaves Radiant Garden satisfied, knowing that his mission to bring Roxas back will ultimately be successful if he can help him find that connection.
  • Why is moving those cutscenes to an earlier place important? Because now Radiant Garden works as a finale for the following characters: Ienzo, Vexen, Demyx, and Ansem the Wise. In addition to Ansem making peace with his former pupils, now he can also have a scene with Sora in which he promises to bring Roxas back in order to repent. The other ex-Organization members there can also apologize as well. With the way the game is right now, these characters don't have any more spoken lines after "IX-2: Radiant Garden", which is a disservice to them (Demyx and Vexen in particular).
  • It's also important for the pacing! Now Ienzo, Vexen, Demyx, and Ansem the Wise have their entire plotline in KH3 take place in between only 2 to 3 Disney worlds, instead of the current drip-feeding of scattered cutscenes we have now. The pacing would be more consistent, satisfying, and, more importantly, not backloaded.

In order for this to work, though, you'd need to have this all happen after The Caribbean (so either you move that world earlier or you force it before San Fransokyo), because of Vexen's involvement in that world's story. So things are still going to be somewhat backloaded in that regard.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I mean all the Organisation's involvements in Disney worlds are shallow enough that you can change whatever you wanted about them.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean all the Organisation's involvements in Disney worlds are shallow enough that you can change whatever you wanted about them.

Vexen's reasons for looking for the box in The Caribbean is actually one of the most relevant bits of Organization involvement in any Disney world, though, both in terms of how it relates to the movie's story as well as Vexen's overall arc in the game.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Vexen's reasons for looking for the box in The Caribbean is actually one of the most relevant bits of Organization involvement in any Disney world, though, both in terms of how it relates to the movie's story as well as Vexen's overall arc in the game.
Uh what? He shows up once at the start, then again at the end and goes "oh that box didn't help, moving on".

André

Oct 25, 2017
Europe

Good point, that's the one thing preventing this solution from working! I think Vexen's scenes there make some sense, so I'd be against removing them.

I think swapping Monstropolis or Arendelle with The Caribbean would be the most elegant solution. It would also put the open world world (heh) closer to the middle of the game, which makes sense (a place to freely explore whenever you want to take a break from the linearity of other worlds).

This would imply a rework in the balance of the game, but a KH3 Final Mix would (very hopefully) already include that.

Last edited:

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Making Castle Oblivion be a small dungeon/level would also pay off the scene where Terranort found out about Ventus being hidden in the Chamber of Waking in 0.2

Something along the lines where 'Aqua goes to unlock it, but it sprung a trap laid by MX, which requires them to... go up Castle Oblivion to fix the issue."

Castle Oblivion would also be perfect for combat gimmicks, where as you climb up you lose your magic or your skills or something, making it tougher. ( Your memories ain't lost cause Aqua has the key or whatever stuff they can come up with )

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Castle Oblivion would also be perfect for combat gimmicks, where as you climb up you lose your magic or your skills or something, making it tougher. ( Your memories ain't lost cause Aqua has the key or whatever stuff they can come up with )

Castle Oblivion has no magical properties beyond rearranging itself at Aqua's behest. The memory/skill loss was all Namine and nothing but.

Fusionterra

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Replace the Khux segment with something more crazy like Minnie Mouse recruit every disney character that Sora visited in kh1,2 and 3 and drop them in KG to fight heartless togethter with Yensid. They don't need to have voices or can get one liner or something.

Or Sora become telepatic like Goku and can communicate with everyone in the disney world, replace "Take my energy" to "Everyone lend me you strenght, give me your light".

Sora using his Light spirit bomb to kill Xehanort.

Deleted member 47942

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2018
Whew. I finished this over the weekend and the pacing was abominable. The combat was kind of fun but I think it's going to be the last time I ever touch the series.

I could have done without the in medias res versions of Frozen and Pirates of the Carribean. It kind of worked for Tangled, Monsters Inc, and Toy Story as you were discovering the story along with the citizens of that world but damn do I wish those worlds were done differently or replaced.

Skipping Arendelle and replacing it with something like a revisit to Space Paranoids would have been better for the ridiculous exposition dump of data Sora and replicas that came later.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Replace the Khux segment with something more crazy like Minnie Mouse recruit every disney character that Sora visited in kh1,2 and 3 and drop them in KG to fight heartless togethter with Yensid. They don't need to have voices or can get one liner or something.

Or Sora become telepatic like Goku and can communicate with everyone in the disney world, replace "Take my energy" to "Everyone lend me you strenght, give me your light".

Sora using his Light spirit bomb to kill Xehanort.

Nooo. The keyblades from the past stuff was so good. Sora riding the keyblades Vanitas style and all the little usernames helping out was amazing.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
KH3 is the first KH I've managed to get the Ultima Keyblade. It was worth the pain because it is amazing.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
KH3 is the first KH I've managed to get the Ultima Keyblade. It was worth the pain because it is amazing.
Yeah it's amazing. The only issue is that it's way too strong and the difficulty is low so it makes game too easy.

Hopefully they add new game + along with Critical, so I don't have to go through all the trouble of making Ultima Weapon again..

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
The lack of human/humanoid bosses until the end was weird. Davy Jones was probably the best boss until you got to the Keyblade Graveyard so it was a little disappointing that there wasn't more.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
The lack of human/humanoid bosses until the end was weird. Davy Jones was probably the best boss until you got to the Keyblade Graveyard so it was a little disappointing that there wasn't more.
Is it that peculiar, though?

There are obvious worlds like Toy Box and Monstropolis where humanoid bosses wouldn't make too much sense (although maybe Angelic Amber sort of counts). Corona's boss is a Heartless Mother Gothel, which is probably the most appropriate boss we could get for that world. Arendelle is disappointing on all fronts, but at least the giant ice wolf boss was a highlight that prevented it from feeling like a total waste, and we end up fighting Dark Baymax in San Fransokyo. And then there's Olympus, and I'm not sure anyone would have asked to fight Hades again.

We could have fought some of the New Org members in the Disney Worlds, but it was probably more effective to save them all for the gauntlet in the endgame. I feel like the boss designs overall were really well done (and again, the ice wolf boss is one of the only good things about Arendelle).

EDIT: Also, someone please convince Square Enix to sell actual Angelic Amber dolls.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Is it that peculiar, though?

There are obvious worlds like Toy Box and Monstropolis where humanoid bosses wouldn't make too much sense (although maybe Angelic Amber sort of counts). Corona's boss is a Heartless Mother Gothel, which is probably the most appropriate boss we could get for that world. Arendelle is disappointing on all fronts, but at least the giant ice wolf boss was a highlight that prevented it from feeling like a total waste, and we end up fighting Dark Baymax in San Fransokyo. And then there's Olympus, and I'm not sure anyone would have asked to fight Hades again.

We could have fought some of the New Org members in the Disney Worlds, but it was probably more effective to save them all for the gauntlet in the endgame. I feel like the boss designs overall were really well done (and again, the ice wolf boss is one of the only good things about Arendelle).

EDIT: Also, someone please convince Square Enix to sell actual Angelic Amber dolls.
I think this is what I would have preferred. Don't get me wrong because I think most of the boss fights were really good.. I just wish there were more fights than just the heartless.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I this whole Keyblade Master thing doesn't work out Sora's like now the strongest pirate in existence and has the backing of the entire Pirate Armada.

Huh.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Personally think that most of the human bosses are disappointing.

Davy Jones and Xehanort are exceptional.

Anti-Aqua is just zodiac Aqua, so if course she's good

Dark Inferno is cool, but lacking for a super boss.

All of the rest of ORG 13 just lack the pizzazz they should have.

The best of them was Larxene and Marluxia due to their desperation attack tag team and The Xehanorts cause of the keyblade spam.

But otherwise they just didn't have the oomph. Like the titans are garbage, but everything you do against them is way cooler than what you do against the ORG members

Those fights needed to be one of two things.

They either needed to be more complex. Like Aqua. She's got like 15 unique attacks to each org members... 2 to 3

Or they needed to have more cool things being done like all the giant bosses.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
so I beat the game...

there've axed the Final Fantasy characters

but The World Ends With You seems to be teased as a world in the next DLC/game? what?

Also I didn't play the mobile game so I barely understand what's happening at the end with Xigbar, but he's one of the cooler organization members so he can stick around

Last edited: