• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sayers

Oct 28, 2017
Well, he died there. What more could there be done to him?
It's not necessarily that I think more should have been done TO him. But there was no reckoning, no acknowledgement of what he had wrought. His despair seemed to be rooted in that his plan failed, not in an understanding of the wrong he had done. There was an air of forgiveness to the whole scene that he had not earned and, indeed, not even asked for.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Truth be told I'm gonna miss Ansem and Xemnas the most. They were my favorite villains in the entire series. Though it is nice that they got one last chance to look at both the main characters and us as players and say goodbye. On the other hand I'm free of old man Xehanort and that is amazing. Also fuck everything, Young Xehanort grew on me hard over DDD and this game haha. I actually looked forward to his shit talking and I was really amused when his last goodbye was yet again more shit talking.

I know this is supposed to be it for Xehanort, and that obviously includes YX, but I just can't shake this feeling that that little smarmy bastard is gonna pop up somewhere unexpected next arc and just be like "Suck my darkness, assholes" somehow

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I know this is supposed to be it for Xehanort, and that obviously includes YX, but I just can't shake this feeling that that little smarmy bastard is gonna pop up somewhere unexpected next arc and just be like "Suck my darkness, assholes" somehow
tbh I can actually see them bringing back young Xehanort to do stuff in later games. Don't know what hijinks Nomura will think of to make it happen. But with how much Nomura already stretched to bring back everyone for 3. I can see him going "fuck it" and bringing in an alternate dimension version of young Xehanort.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
In my go through of 0.2 there are a bunch of things I just noticed that I didn't think about.

Why was there no situation commands for any of the Org XIII fight?

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Also, I know it's only for 20-30 minutes and they "Get better" but it's so fucking wild to me that Disney let Nomura kill Donald, Goofy AND Mickey FOR REAL REAL, even temporarily. Mickey Mouse. MICKEY MOUSE

tbh I can actually see them bringing back young Xehanort to do stuff in later games. Don't know what hijinks Nomura will think of to make it happen. But with how much Nomura already stretched to bring back everyone for 3. I can see him going "fuck it" and bringing in an alternate dimension version of young Xehanort.

Depending how much we see of Luxu's journey through the years, Xehanort kinda HAS to be at least a supporting role, now that I think about it.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not enough people are talking about Mickey casting Ultima or Donald's Zettaflare. Both had enough of Xehanort's shit and were ready to earn their teardrop eye tattoos.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Not enough people are talking about Mickey casting Ultima or Donald's Zettaflare. Both had enough of Xehanort's shit and were ready to earn their teardrop eye tattoos.

I don't talk about the first cause its another example of KH3 being "nobody but the main trio gets to be cool"

Donald's Zetta flare was baller though.

Deleted member 16365

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't talk about the first cause its another example of KH3 being "nobody but the main trio gets to be cool"

Donald's Zetta flare was baller though.

Well in fairness, if Mickey would have killed OldNort and I didn't get to fight him I would have felt a little let down. I do think casting Stop against Ultima is some bullshit though.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I still don't understand what Kingdom Hearts is lol. Why is it full of darkness when Xehanort summons it?

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Something I've been mulling for a bit, but if Xehanort's plan was to use the light of Kingdom Hearts to purge the world, then I'm confused about the first game. Terra-nort took his heart out to create Ansem SOD and Xemnas. Ansem SOD was sent back in time to teach time travel to young Xehanort and give him the super plan. Fast forward to final battle of KH1: Ansem SOD opens the door to darkness and asks Kingdom Hearts to fill him with darkness. Shouldn't he have known it was light since he was in on the plan?

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
This is one of those things where it's clear that Nomura retconned aspects of KH1, where the Kingdom Hearts of KH1 wasn't a true KH or Ansem SoD were a participant of a grander master plan that involves time-traveling. Or how Ansem's guardian shadow thingy had no hint of being Terra.

And back when Keyblades were like, a super exclusive club.

Zimmy64

Oct 29, 2017
Atlanta, Georgia
I know it doesn't make sense, but I can't shake the feeling we're not done with Young Xehanort. I'd be perfectly fine with it too. He's infinitely more charasmatic than MX.

Zimmy64

Oct 29, 2017
Atlanta, Georgia
The trio of coolness in KH3 are:

- Sora
- Replica Riku
- Lingering Will/Guardian Terra

Everyone else? Not really.

If I were making a "Winners and Losers of KH3" list I would also add

-Goofy, Donald, Ienzo, Saix, YX, Xigbar, Roxas, Vanitas, and Vexen under the winner's column.

KH3 actually does justice to a lot of characters it's just that the cast is so big now there are also a lot of characters it does a disservice to (Kairi, Xion, Lea, Aqua, Xemnas, MX)

Riku and Namine come out somewhere in the middle but overall I was pleased with their KH3 arcs.

Oct 25, 2017
Finally finished it. You guys weren't kidding about Kairi, holy shit. "This time I'll protect you." She then proceeds to not be able to even get her keyblade out when Terranort is fucking everyone up, gets yeeted out of her group fight, and then gets fridged.

I kind of stopped caring about the story at this point, and have accepted that it's kind of shit. (How the fuck did they bring Xion back?) Despite that, almost all of the big emotional reunions really worked for me, and I actually really liked the "Don't Think Twice" ending.

Donald just deleting Terranort was fucking awesome. Donald needs to just retire now. He's never topping that

Oct 25, 2017

-Goofy, Donald, Ienzo, Saix, YX, Xigbar, Roxas, Vanitas, and Vexen under the winner's column.

KH3 actually does justice to a lot of characters it's just that the cast is so big now there are also a lot of characters it does a disservice to (Kairi, Xion, Lea, Aqua, Xemnas, MX)

Riku and Namine come out somewhere in the middle but overall I was pleased with their KH3 arcs.

I agree with most of these, but Vanitas was kind of a punk ass through most of this. Dude got fucked up by Sully.

I really liked what they did with Ienzo and I was kind of liking what they were doing with Demyx also.

Also, Woody gets points in the cool column for telling YX that no one loves him

Deleted member 42105

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Excluding Donald from the trio of coolness is madness. Must I remind you that he obliterated an end game boss with one shot.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia

Yeah, in general I would agree with a lot of the above. I'd put Nanime in the winner bracket too, but that's my bias talking. Her one scene with Sora at the Final World alone was pretty good for what it was.

Even though it's kinda creepy, I really loved Saix's arc in KH3 and it made me a believer in the friendship between him and Axel, which I was never quite sold on throughout the older games.

AustinFordGames

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas
I know it doesn't make sense, but I can't shake the feeling we're not done with Young Xehanort. I'd be perfectly fine with it too. He's infinitely more charasmatic than MX.

See, I feel the same way. He's far too menacing when he phases away.

But, at the same time, the way the new chess match is set up in the epilogue with 7 pieces of darkness and seemingly one piece of light, it just seems that Luxu, the 5 Masters, and then MoM would be that main antagonists moving forward.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
See, I feel the same way. He's far too menacing when he phases away.

But, at the same time, the way the new chess match is set up in the epilogue with 7 pieces of darkness and seemingly one piece of light, it just seems that Luxu, the 5 Masters, and then MoM would be that main antagonists moving forward.

Only 4 of the 5 masters are accounted for at the moment, even though there's 7 black pieces.

Unless Ava is going to ultimately be part of the antagonist group despite not showing up, there'll probably be another Keyblade Master who'll succeed/inherit Ava's position among the Lost Masters.

Sayers

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, in general I would agree with a lot of the above. I'd put Nanime in the winner bracket too, but that's my bias talking. Her one scene with Sora at the Final World alone was pretty good for what it was.

Even though it's kinda creepy, I really loved Saix's arc in KH3 and it made me a believer in the friendship between him and Axel, which I was never quite sold on throughout the older games.
I have no memory of any scene with Namine. Did you have to find her floating star or something?

Also why did Donald's (badass) fire spell kill him? Is this explained somewhere previously?

Zimmy64

Oct 29, 2017
Atlanta, Georgia

I actually agree on both points. I really liked Namine's scene in The Final World and this game made me a firm rider of the Isa hype train. This game made him a really interesting character and he deserves a keyblade. He might actually have the strongest heart in the series. Guy went through hell for over a decade and gave up his humanity twice while his best friend abandoned him to save a girl he met when he was 15. If that doesn't make you worthy I don't know what does.

DawnChocobo

Jan 14, 2019
So when Nomura mentioned that "the final world was something he'd been wanting to do since his FF days", was he talking about The Final World or Scala?

Cos both were not as hyped as I imagined tbh.

oldboss

Nov 9, 2017
Scala. What a letdown both were. Although I think I still preferred The Final World.

Edit:

I have no memory of any scene with Namine. Did you have to find her floating star or something?

Of course you don't have any memories. She erased them.

Now I'll get her to erase my memories of the whole game.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
I need help understanding a plot point, who'da thunk it for a KH game right?

AnsemSoD, Xemnas and Co. are all time travelled hearts from the past put into replicas right? What time are they from? Post destruction in KH1 and 2 or some other point during the previous games? Do they know they have already been beaten and do they go back to that time once they die in KH3? (else how could the previous games have happened?)

I hate that they added time travel to this story as if it wasn't hard enough to follow

catberry

Oct 31, 2017
London
I just finished the game, without ever been into KH. I did watch a 3 hour video to give me an idea of what I'm in for, which helped a lot. I think there's few things now I have questions about, but less than I thought there would be.

However, I have a big problem with Kairi. Has she always been this useless? Here I thought the trope has died, but hey, it's 2019 and I'm still seeing this bs being done? It's almost as if they were about to give her some purpose and actual power, just to be kidnapped and killed for the sake of character progression.

Also, are all the KH games this easy? It felt a bit like a faceroll. It got really frustrating at the end with Org XIII - 1min battle, 7min cutscene. I just wanted more of these cutscenes to be in game or some interaction, it just got a bit frustrating. :(
It makes very little sense to me why the game would be so easy, as the main target audience seems to be the hardcore fans of the franchise, so it's not like you're trying to sell it to kids who are into Disney, because let's be real - they'll most likely hate it.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I just finished the game, without ever been into KH. I did watch a 3 hour video to give me an idea of what I'm in for, which helped a lot. I think there's few things now I have questions about, but less than I thought there would be.

However, I have a big problem with Kairi. Has she always been this useless? Here I thought the trope has died, but hey, it's 2019 and I'm still seeing this bs being done? It's almost as if they were about to give her some purpose and actual power, just to be kidnapped and killed for the sake of character progression.

Also, are all the KH games this easy? It felt a bit like a faceroll. It got really frustrating at the end with Org XIII - 1min battle, 7min cutscene. I just wanted more of these cutscenes to be in game or some interaction, it just got a bit frustrating. :(
It makes very little sense to me why the game would be so easy, as the main target audience seems to be the hardcore fans of the franchise, so it's not like you're trying to sell it to kids who are into Disney, because let's be real - they'll most likely hate it.
Yes, Kairi was always a plot device to drive Sora.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

KHII and KHlII both have difficulty issues with its base versions. Hopefully III gets a final mix version.

DDD was kicking my ass on proud just last week so no. They're usually not this easy.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I was actually pleasantly surprised by the ending. I was expecting a LOT more anime bullshit than we got.

That said, Master Xeanhort just kind of realizing he lost and then passing into the light with his childhood friend was some hot bullshit. Dude did a lot of terrible things to a lot of people that needs to be answered for.
What did you expect? It was obvious to me that MX would turn out good in the end and that everything would be solved by the power of the friendship. MX was never bad, he just had a twisted way of seeing things.
Plus, nobody really dies in KH.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
What did you expect? It was obvious to me that MX would turn out good in the end and that everything would be solved by the power of the friendship. MX was never bad, he just had a twisted way of seeing things.

Well I mean aren't the people in Final World dead? Also, Eraqus and MX are dead now surely?

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017

lol wut.

How was that "obvious" to you?
MX was straight up moustache twirling evil in BBS, and DDD. His "redemption" here was nonsensical.

Nov 23, 2017
I marked out like a wrestling fan when I saw Shibuya in the epilogue. F me sideways. I love all the Nomura BS. I love it so much. Insert Verum Rex into my veins. Love them Versus XIII feels.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
lol wut.

How was that "obvious" to you?
MX was straight up moustache twirling evil in BBS, and DDD. His "redemption" here was nonsensical.
Because every single thing in KH is solved by the power of friendship and because Sora was always able to connect to people's hearts.
I've been saying for years to my friends that MX would turn out good in the end, simply because that is how KH goes.
You can bet that Maleficent will also turn out good in the end.

Kingsora

May 19, 2018

Did you play on proud or normal? Because I wouldn't really call the last fights you describe as 'easy'.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Well I mean aren't the people in Final World dead? Also, Eraqus and MX are dead now surely?
They might be dead, but they surely can come back if nomura wants them too. But I don't really think they'll comeback because their arcs are definitely over, but I do believe that the dandelion people, mainly Strelitzia will come back. I even believe that she is the girl mentioned in the game and the third heart inside Sora.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
They might be dead, but they surely can come back if nomura wants them too. But I don't really think they'll comeback because their arcs are definitely over, but I do believe that the dandelion people, mainly Strelitzia will come back. I even believe that she is the girl mentioned in the game and the third heart inside Sora.

It def feels like Strelitzia was the star in The Final World, but wasn't the 3rd heart Xion?

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
That's exactly why I think KH3 ended the MX sage with the best way possible, because honestly Nomura can just pull an excuse out of his ass and bring
back anyone he wants, but now with MX accepting his defaut it's way more fitting because he has no reason to really come back anymore.
He tried but he lost in the "Chess game"

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Finally finished it. You guys weren't kidding about Kairi, holy shit. "This time I'll protect you." She then proceeds to not be able to even get her keyblade out when Terranort is fucking everyone up, gets yeeted out of her group fight, and then gets fridged.
To be fair, she is the reason everyone was still tethered to the Realm of Light and how Sora was able to save everyone in the abyss.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Because every single thing in KH is solved by the power of friendship and because Sora was always able to connect to people's hearts.
I've been saying for years to my friends that MX would turn out good in the end, simply because that is how KH goes.
You can bet that Maleficent will also turn out good in the end.

Xehanort wasn't good, though. He had a somewhat altruistic end goal, sure, but he still wanted to end all life everywhere to accomplish that. That wasn't good, it wasn't noble, and Sora rightly calls him out as not being one who should be allowed to make that choice for the universe.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Xehanort wasn't good, though. He had a somewhat altruistic end goal, sure, but he still wanted to end all life everywhere to accomplish that. That wasn't good, it wasn't noble, and Sora rightly calls him out as not being one who should be allowed to make that choice for the universe.
I agree he wasn't good, but he wasn't bad either, he had twisted morals, just like Thanos. His view of the world was completely distorted. But I believe that to him, this was all just a game between him and Eraqus, one he lost in the end.