• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Honestly KH3 being nothing more than the game of nothing but predictable resolutions is... pretty much what I expected. And I also expected that a bulk of it was gonna be end game only because shock! That's like every KH game.

The issue for me is the execution of those resolutions. Like I said, I feel like most characters lack that one special moment within the overall story to earn that "uumph". For example, if 0.2 was part of KH3 or if Castle Oblivion/Land of Departure was perhaps a mini-dungeon ala Larxene Ice Labyrith where you could play as Aqua and have a bit of a nostalgia trip, that would give Aqua and Ventus a bit more meat in the frameworks of their presence in the story.

Or if Sora could have a moment with Ienzo where he went to Hollow Bastion and tried to transfer the heart over to the Demyx sent replica but failing at it because some criteria weren't met yet , we could have a slightly better setup piece for Roxas's arc among other things.

That being said, as I put it, despite not achieving their full potential imo they're still pretty emotional and powerful moments for me. 7/10 in terms of execution is still pretty good.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, giving it some time to sit, this is definitely one of my biggest issues with KH3: that, after DDD, we knew pretty much everything would happen in KH3, and that's pretty much exactly what happened, with very few actual twists along the way. Like, we knew that 13 darknesses and 7 lights would be gathered for a final confrontation with Master Xehanort at the Keyblade Graveyard to summon Kingdom Hearts, and indeed that happened. And along the way, it was pretty likely that Ven and Terra and company would be saved, and that they would find some way of bringing characters like Roxas and Xion and Naminé back, and they were. We knew what all of the broad strokes would be and they happened in turn, is what I'm getting at, with little deviation.

It just felt like going through the moments to finally resolve the stuff that DDD and the other games set up, and that's it. Not much in the way of unexpected twists or to make it even worse even character developments or character arcs or anything really, just checking stuff off a list and moving onto the next thing.

And to be clear, before someone says it, yes, there were twists as in stuff like Xigbar being Luxu. But that's just shoved in the epilogue and is more setting up the next games than something that KH3 did much with itself. There's nothing like KH2 starting off with Roxas and who is that guy and going through all that, or it turning out that Ansem the Wise was his own character and that's who DiZ was in CoM, and all kinds of stuff. Then speaking of character development, really nobody in KH3 has arcs or development (aside from the villains, where it's just kind of out of nowhere at the end) like characters like Roxas or Axel or Riku did in KH2, because it's a bunch of nothing happening for most of the game and then just suddenly checking a bunch of stuff off a list once Sora gets to the Realm of Darkness and saves Aqua, and things just shoot off a rocket from there and there's so much to do all of a sudden that they don't really have time for proper character development or arcs for most of a character.
Awhile back, Nomura mentioned that to him, KH3 started with DDD and 0.2. I think that statement was a lot more literal than everyone assumed. It's not really a sequel to the story before it, it's the third act that we already had the first two part to. And as a third act, I think it does its job really well. It's very entertaining to go through, and the big emotional beats are some of my favorite moments in the entire series.

But at the end of the day, it's not really a full story. I personally enjoyed it a lot, but I get why people would take issue with it, and I'm not exactly begging for them to do it again.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Yeah, giving it some time to sit, this is definitely one of my biggest issues with KH3: that, after DDD, we knew pretty much everything would happen in KH3, and that's pretty much exactly what happened, with very few actual twists along the way. Like, we knew that 13 darknesses and 7 lights would be gathered for a final confrontation with Master Xehanort at the Keyblade Graveyard to summon Kingdom Hearts, and indeed that happened. And along the way, it was pretty likely that Ven and Terra and company would be saved, and that they would find some way of bringing characters like Roxas and Xion and Naminé back, and they were. We knew what all of the broad strokes would be and they happened in turn, is what I'm getting at, with little deviation.

It just felt like going through the moments to finally resolve the stuff that DDD and the other games set up, and that's it. Not much in the way of unexpected twists or to make it even worse even character developments or character arcs or anything really, just checking stuff off a list and moving onto the next thing.

And to be clear, before someone says it, yes, there were twists as in stuff like Xigbar being Luxu. But that's just shoved in the epilogue and is more setting up the next games than something that KH3 did much with itself. There's nothing like KH2 starting off with Roxas and who is that guy and going through all that, or it turning out that Ansem the Wise was his own character and that's who DiZ was in CoM, and all kinds of stuff. Then speaking of character development, really nobody in KH3 has arcs or development (aside from the villains, where it's just kind of out of nowhere at the end) like characters like Roxas or Axel or Riku did in KH2, because it's a bunch of nothing happening for most of the game and then just suddenly checking a bunch of stuff off a list once Sora gets to the Realm of Darkness and saves Aqua, and things just shoot off a rocket from there and there's so much to do all of a sudden that they don't really have time for proper character development or arcs for most of a character.
And it can't be understated how much they just checked stuff off a list. There's no effort at all to tie the story lines together. Just that they all happen to be part of the 7 v 13 and they all need to wait for Sora to show up to help fight a thing.

LawfulEnder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I do find myself wondering about what the secret movie actually implies. I cannot see a world where KH4 doesn't focus on Sora visiting Disney worlds, so I can't really imagine he'll be stuck in the reaper's game for that long, though I suppose it might point to a DLC or a non-numbered entry rather than KH4.

All told, the more I think about KH3 I find myself okay with the extended cast getting their happy endings here, but I very much hope that they're largely written out (or at least sidelined) in favour of a renewed focus on the main cast (which, for me, would be Sora, Riku, and Kairi). Kairi especially desperately needs more screen time and a better storyline, and I very much hope the next game doesn't just let her "slip away," again. I think it'd be lovely if all the Trinity moments in KH3 served at least as a temporary sendoff to the "traditional" structure of a numbered KH game where SDG visit Disney worlds while Mickey and Riku do their own thing and Kairi needs to be saved (that last one in particular has got to go).

Give me Kairi, Donald, and Goofy looking for Sora, and focus on how they have to learn to work together as a team but they're struggling to do so because they all miss Sora. Give me Sora, Riku, and Kairi off on their adventure to see what's out there, and Sora and Riku are butting heads again because they're both trying to be the leader. Give me the reunited Disney Trio doing their thing in the background, and show us how the longstanding friendship between those three actually works in the world of Kingdom Hearts. Give me Sora and Kairi actually spending time together. I hope the next few games take the Foreteller plot that's being set up a bit slower: introduce the main players, develop the villains to some extent, but focus mostly on developing the heroes by showing them spending time together. KH is at its best when the focus is the relationships between the main characters, and other than some lovely trinity moments, I found that that was lacking in KH3.

Last edited:

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
So, I just finished the game, and I need some explaining

What the hell happened to Sora and Kairi at the end? We see that Sora goes to "search" for Kairi, and then, on the final movie they're sit on the palms on Destiny Islands, and then Sora vanish. WTF?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

What the hell happened to Sora and Kairi at the end? We see that Sora goes to "search" for Kairi, and then, on the final movie they're sit on the palms on Destiny Islands, and then Sora vanish. WTF?
Sora isn't actually there. He used the power of waking to save Kairi, but died in the process.

LawfulEnder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

We can't be positive. General consensus is that Sora managed to save Kairi but "died"/got lost in the process.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Sora isn't actually there. He used the power of waking to save Kairi, but died in the process.
We can't be positive. General consensus is that Sora managed to save Kairi but "died"/got lost in the process.

I see. I'd the idea that Sora was already dying/disappearing, as one of the guys keep telling Sora that using his power will have consequences, and imply Sora time is almost over. So, I guess his use of the power one more time to save Kairi finally killed him...

.. or not, taking into account the secret movie :/

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Played Birth by Sleep 0.2 tonight, and it's actually kind of unsettling to play through the Mirror Aqua portion in retrospect. It basically foreshadows what happens to her in KH3.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
I have kind of wondered to myself if DDD and 0.2 were literally parts of KH3 that were split out because something had to be made.

Like, DDD specifically is extremely backloaded. Most of that game just didn't need to exist from a story standpoint until the last two hours. While playing KH3, I wondered if some part of that was meant as KH2's mid- or early-game in some form or another.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
3j2sGTG.gif

Probably one of my favourite tracks from the game, and one of my favourite moments in the game.

Last edited:

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I have kind of wondered to myself if DDD and 0.2 were literally parts of KH3 that were split out because something had to be made.

Like, DDD specifically is extremely backloaded. Most of that game just didn't need to exist from a story standpoint until the last two hours. While playing KH3, I wondered if some part of that was meant as KH2's mid- or early-game in some form or another.

0.2 literally was.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
So I haven't seen this discussed much, and I was wondering if there were any thoughts on the different parts of the ending before Sora disappearing at the end. The most obviously interesting bit is Ven finding the Chirithy. Maybe Ven will find out his connection to the age of fairy tales though it? I'm guessing Riku taking Naminé away has to do with him carrying out Riku Replica's wishes. Honestly, I'd just be happy if Riku found something new to do, since his character arc has kind of stalled for a bit. The one thing I don't know what think of is the Twilight Town bit. It's all very cheery for the most part, but it ends with a shadow being cast over the tower, and everyone suddenly looks up. Not really sure what that's supposed to suggest besides that there's some new threat they'll have to deal with. Maybe it's connected to the mysterious girl Axel and Saix knew?

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century

This is a problem a lot of "concluding stories" have. They are less their own thing and more a wrap-up for everything that came before.

I can see why that might seem lacking to some but that is exactly what KH3 set out to be. And I think it did it decently well.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017

https://www.khinsider.com/news/Fami...-KINGDOM-HEARTS-3-HD-2-8-FCP-Unchained-X-6667
Nomura said:
Story-wise, this title is situated at rather an important point. The scenarios of KH 3D Dream Drop Distance (hereon KH3D) and KH0.2 can essentially be thought of as the prologue to KH3, you see. When considering the titles to be included in KH2.8, I wanted people to play previous-gen-console KH before KH3, and I decided to work on KH0.2. The story connects from KH3D to KH0.2 to KH3. In my own head, KH3 begins at KH3D. That's why I put that subtitle on KH2.8.
As far as I know, this is all that's been officially stated about it.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
How did terranort

None of Wayfinder trio aged it seems. All were in transitory states.
Yeah, Aqua didn't age as she was in the RoD (which makes perfect sense). I think we can say that Terra didn't age as his heart was "caged" in the Guardian, so he was in a similar state to Ven. Of course, the body should still have aged (probably), but I don't see how that would work.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017

Nomura: Actually, this was what I worried about the most. We showed this for a bit in the secret episode of [KHBbS FM], but the concept for two chapters of [BbS] is something we've had for a while, and because of problems with time, it's become just a morceau. That concept itself is living on as a setup, so it was our plan to show it at the beginning of [KHIII], but since the volume of material in [KHIII] has increased, I was thinking it was something we just touched on a little. Just as I explained in your previous question, we won't show the whole thing of the initial concept, but we decided to show it ahead of [KHIII] as a short episode.

Doubt 3D was, but 0.2 definitely was.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
That ending was something. I super feel back for everyone who didn't watch Backcover or get a summary of KHux.

Also how old are Saix and Axel suppose to be? Because for some reason I keep thinking they're early 20's. But that's probably not right.

Mailbox

Oct 30, 2017
That ending was something. I super feel back for everyone who didn't watch Backcover or get a summary of KHux.

Also how old are Saix and Axel suppose to be? Because for some reason I keep thinking they're early 20's. But that's probably not right.
they are mid 20's. they were like ~15 in bbs and its been 11 years since.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
That last shot of Sora fading and holding Kairi's hand on the tree was was absolutely fantastic. The ending was perfect, so satisfying yet the right amount of ambiguity and a great final shot to leave with you. This will be my GOTY, no doubt.I'm not thought this for about 10 years but SE nailed it. Like all their best games from the 90s/00s, I'm going to replay this a lot.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason I love it in the Final World where Sora is collecting about hundred versions of himself and they are all doing their own thing. It's the kind of surreal imagery that will stick with me for a long time. What a brilliant game.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I want to say everything from after the first battle in the keyblade graveyard till you get to the maze where you fight organization 13 was terrible and should have been booted from the game.

Fuck fighting the lich 7 times

Fuck the demon tower/tide

Getting sora's in abstract land wasn't fun

The only fun moment was seeing how petty af nomura is with the stella scene.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
The thing about KH3's plot is it kind of has no plot. It has a story! Things get wrapped up in it! But there's very little actual movement. The closest thing is "We should rescue Aqua and Ven" -> "Hey we rescued them." The rest of the game is just events happening around the periphery until the end game.
Honestly, making Kingdom Hearts story seems like such a pain in the ass. It need to have disney world in it, and the story you can tell in the disney world are very restricted by what Disney allow you to do. So making a story where you incorporate the disney world and the main xehanort plot seems really difficult.

Their solution is basically to split the game in half. You had flimsy excuse for Sora to go around disney world, by the time you're done with that, they had to rush the rest of the story and wrapped things up.

Aug 2, 2018
For Terranort... He can't be time travelling, or else the fact that he doesn't return to his own time would be a paradox. Terranort would need to go back in time, be Apprentice Xehanort, and eventually split into Ansem-SoD and Xemnas. Instead, he becomes Terra and stays in the present.

Both the Terra and Xehanort parts of him would need to go back to the past, because Apprentice Xehanort creates Ansem-SoD, whose Guardian is Terra. So you can't argue that his Xehanort part went back while his Terra part stayed in the present. They both would have to return.

Master Xehanort can't be time travelling either. His ending with Eraqus shows he doesn't return to the past. It's stated multiple times (by Yen Sid, for example) that Master Xehanort is the one who has been re-completed.

My conclusion is that Ansem-SoD and Xemnas's defeat re-completed both Master Xehanort and Terra, as others have suggested. Either Terra was already norted upon his re-completion, or Master Xehanort norted him sometime after, making him into a Terranort again, with the white hair and all.

So, a part of re-completed Master Xehanort is possessing re-completed Terra, with no time travel involved.

For some reason, the re-completion process generated Xehanort and Terra's bodies at the same age they were in Birth by Sleep... which is awfully convenient, but re-completion is vague in the first place (destroying a separated body and heart regenerates that body and heart? Okay, sure).

Edit: It makes even more sense when you consider that Ansem-SoD's Guardian, who is Terra's heart/heartless, is also defeated. So both Terra and Xehanort have satisfied the requirements for re-completion: both their hearts have been destroyed, and both their bodies have been destroyed (Xemnas and Master Xehanort's original body, which disappeared).

By this reasoning, Terra should probably be the same age that Apprentice Xehanort was upon splitting, but... again, re-completion is mysterious.

Last edited:

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
but it ends with a shadow being cast over the tower, and everyone suddenly looks up. Not really sure what that's supposed to suggest besides that there's some new threat they'll have to deal with. Maybe it's connected to the mysterious girl Axel and Saix knew?
isn't that the shadow of riku gummi ship?

ChaserX

Nov 1, 2017
Miami, FL
How did Shimomura go from this

to this?

Is she concealing her power level or something, and we haven't seen what she's like at her best?

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
How did Shimomura go from this

to this?

Is she concealing her power level or something, and we haven't seen what she's like at her best?

Outside of using her original themes, that music doesn't really sound like her style at all. Pretty sure she was not actually responsible for the vast majority of new arrangements in this. The entire soundtrack sounds like her involvement was actually fairly minimal (much to my disappointment as she's my favorite VGM composer).
The BBS one is definitely her arrangement but the KH3 one sounds vastly different from what she would do.

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
I wish they didn't use Takeharu Ishimoto at all. His violin sample is god awful and a far cry from Shimomura's work in the game. Seriously listen to the difference between this:

and this:

:(

lusca_bueno

Nov 23, 2017
Okay, just finished the game. We all agree the song from the secret ending is a slightly rearranged Somnus, right? The reference is like... it's almost the same song lol

Crazy. Nomura is just crazy at this point.

Btw, the epilogue clearly stating what has been foreshadowed so far, about KHUX playing the base for second saga, makes me hopeful for a remake soon, cause the mobile game is surely not gonna be the only outlet for such an important ammount of plot.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I get why it happened I just found it ironic that after Aqua literally expressing her frustration with looking weak and getting a hype ass battle she... still ended up having to be saved. I still liked the scene and it gave Ventus a nice dramatic entrance, I just found it amusing.

I was really glad to get to fight as Aqua again though, even if it was just for one battle. I want another Aqua game tbh... Aqua and Kairi training adventure with sidekicks Minnie and Daisy when?
It's not really that Aqua is saved by anyone, but the prospect of fighting three guardians of light alone once Ven is back makes Vanitas back off.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, just finished the game. We all agree the song from the secret ending is a slightly rearranged Somnus, right? The reference is like... it's almost the same song lol

Crazy. Nomura is just crazy at this point.

Btw, the epilogue clearly stating what has been foreshadowed so far, about KHUX playing the base for second saga, makes me hopeful for a remake soon, cause the mobile game is surely not gonna be the only outlet for such an important ammount of plot.
There's, like, 15 minutes of important story in all of KHUX, mixed in between the 50 000 quests running back & forth in the deserts of Agrabah. It won't be all that hard to make it into a movie like ReCoded, especially when Backcover already covers the first 5 minutes of essential stuff.

malyse

Community Resetter
Disagree. Donald and Goofy were going to talk to him when Mickey stopped them so Sora could have a moment with Kairi. I think he faded right then, not that he was never there. Plus considering that he literally saved almost everyone there personally, it would be incredibly dissonant for them to be playing at the beach while Sora was lost. Fortunately, we have a KH3 novel that can confirm the ending.
I do find myself wondering about what the secret movie actually implies. I cannot see a world where KH4 doesn't focus on Sora visiting Disney worlds, so I can't really imagine he'll be stuck in the reaper's game for that long, though I suppose it might point to a DLC or a non-numbered entry rather than KH4.
So two things: first the secret ending has previously shown the end world not the starter. BBS has Keyblade Graveyard in The Gathering and Birth By Sleep, KH2 has The World that Never Was in Another Side, Another Story and Deep Dive. Second and this is just my pet theory, real life locations? Live action movies. Cinderella 2015, Alice in Wonderland 2010, Beauty and the Beast 2017, Aladdin 2019, Dumbo 2019, Lion King 2019, etc. Also? Marvel and Star Wars.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I wish they didn't use Takeharu Ishimoto at all. His violin sample is god awful and a far cry from Shimomura's work in the game. Seriously listen to the difference between this:

OMG THIS! I couldn't really put my finger on what it was, but I believe that is exactly it!

When comparing this:

EDIT: FORGOT TIMESTAMPS:

00:12

to this:

EDIT: 00:43

the second just sounds like, fanmade, I don't even know how to describe it...the sound is similar, but one is clearly wayy cleaner than the other.

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
OMG THIS! I couldn't really put my finger on what it was, but I believe that is exactly it!

When comparing this:

to this:

the second just sounds like, fanmade, I don't even know how to describe it...the sound is similar, but one is clearly wayy cleaner than the other.

THANKYOU.gif.

Seriously it's maddening to me that so few people are noticing this considering we've had several games with Yoko's masterful work. Just look at the Youtube comments for Ishimoto's tracks! Nothing but praise. It's an insult to the beautiful tracks Yoko did compose for the game. And that sample is Ishimoto's signature btw, listen to some of the Type-0 tracks, urgh. No idea why he is in love with it.

I may make a topic on this down the line at some point (man so many of my posts are critical of KH3...it makes me sad lol).

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
THANKYOU.gif.

Seriously it's maddening to me that so few people are noticing this considering we've had several games with Yoko's masterful work. Just look at the Youtube comments for Ishimoto's tracks! Nothing but praise. It's an insult to the beautiful tracks Yoko did compose for the game. And that sample is Ishimoto's signature btw, listen to some of the Type-0 tracks, urgh. No idea why he is in love with it.

I may make a topic on this down the line at some point (man so many of my posts are critical of KH3...it makes me sad lol).
It also saddens me that the final music used for the final boss of this saga isn't made by Shimomura... and it's also the same track playing in every boss in scala, wth was that. Some of the new music is really dissapointing to me, since it is one of the things I enjoy most about this series.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Finished the game. I want more gummie ship dlc STAT!

Ending was a low point for me but I'm going to keep with the series. I just hope the next game focuses on less characters. Sora, Riku, Kairi, the King, Donald, Goofy....and new antagonists. As much as I love Roxas, Axel and the rest...it's just too many.

I loved the game and think it could be a GOTY contender if the DLC is strong enough.

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
It also saddens me that the final music used for the final boss of this saga isn't made by Shimomura... and it's also the same track playing in every boss in scala, wth was that. Some of the new music is really dissapointing to me, since it is one of the things I enjoy most about this series.

I'm right there with you man. Really saddening. To give credit where it's due I have had these tracks on repeat the last few days:

- Rage Awakened
- Other Promise
- Dearly Beloved
- Oscurita Xehanort
- Final World Theme
- Don't Think Twice Orchestral
- Tension Rising (Corona)

but most of these are new renditions of old favourites...

I miss the days of KH2 releasing and having an entire album full of wonderful music.
Heck, itt felt like even DDD had more "new" exciting tracks, especially the battle and final boss themes.