• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Okay, this has probably been asked a thousand times, but how did Xion come back? Why would the Organisation bring her back? And where would her heart have been?

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Okay, this has probably been asked a thousand times, but how did Xion come back? Why would the Organisation bring her back? And where would her heart have been?
The Organization had some data on a keyblade wielding replica, so they used her as one of the darknesses. Xemnas apparently knew what she was all along (which is a big question mark since there's no reason he'd be able to), but her heart was always inside Sora and Roxas was the key to awakening hers.

The real question is how Roxas knew her name when he called to her through Sora.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Aqua: "You've seen me weak for far too long. Time for me to show what I can do."

*whoops Vantitas' ass in battle*

*immediately gets knocked out in following cutscene*

Nomura why.

No, she wins, and then needlessly jumps in front of Vanitas' firaga.

It's stupid.

Just as stupid as when Sora blocks Kairi from Terranort with his body.

Which is twice as stupid when you remember that Sora blocked Riku from Anti-Aqua with his keyblade.

God, it's so bad

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
The Organization had some data on a keyblade wielding replica, so they used her as one of the darknesses. Xemnas apparently knew what she was all along (which is a big question mark since there's no reason he'd be able to), but her heart was always inside Sora and Roxas was the key to awakening hers.

The real question is how Roxas knew her name when he called to her through Sora.
I think Roxas was able to remember her in his heart. So seeing her, he knew who she was.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
YX's experiments in the Toy Box and Riku Replica figuring out how to remake a heart from data in San Fransokyo were how the Organization found out how to bring her back. Her recreated heart was obviously messed with to control her, but her original heart was in Sora, and it rejoining her brought her back to normal.

Why they chose her isn't exactly stated, but it might have been Saix's idea, given the implication that he was the traitor.

Balls

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So what's the general consensus on the ending? Was Sora physically there on the island and then faded away or was it just Kairi's imagination? I'm leaning towards the former judging from the destiny islands crew's reaction. Why would they all be staring if Sora wasn't actually there?

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
So has anybody come up with a reasonable theory as to why Roxas can still dual wield besides "I don't gotta explain shit"?

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
So what's the general consensus on the ending? Was Sora physically there on the island and then faded away or was it just Kairi's imagination? I'm leaning towards the former judging from the destiny islands crew's reaction. Why would they all be staring if Sora wasn't actually there?
Because they were looking at Kairi. He used the power of waking and paid the price like Young Xehanort said. He couldn't be there.

Deleted member 29464

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

YX's experiments in the Toy Box and Riku Replica figuring out how to remake a heart from data in San Fransokyo were how the Organization found out how to bring her back. Her recreated heart was obviously messed with to control her, but her original heart was in Sora, and it rejoining her brought her back to normal.

Why they chose her isn't exactly stated, but it might have been Saix's idea, given the implication that he was the traitor.
Hmm, okay, it sort of makes sense, but how did she get a Keyblade, and the Kingdom Key in particular?

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
So has anybody come up with a reasonable theory as to why Roxas can still dual wield besides "I don't gotta explain shit"?
Beats fucking me. Originally he used Sora's and Ven's. I can understand him having his own Keyblade separate from Sora being he grew his own heart while being Sora's body. He basically shares being chosen like Sora. Same for Xion. The second blade makes no sense being Ven got his heart back and that keyblade was 100% borrowed, same with Sora, who probably didn't have 2 keyblades this game because of the logic of needing to give Ven his heart and thus, not being able to use 2 of them.

I chalk it up to them and everyone else thinking the dual Oath/Oblivion for Roxas is dope and thats it.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I'm open to an explaination on it but my current take on terranort not aging in spite of the fact that xemnas and Ansem SoD being clearly older is that the "story" didn't want to screw Terra over by making him the only one of the BBS trio to have aged 10 years physically so the writers just go "whatever it's fine."

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
KH would be so much easier if Nomura had a bible which said what can and can't happen and didn't just randomly break it willy nilly.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I'm open to an explaination on it but my current take on terranort not aging in spite of the fact that xemnas and Ansem SoD being clearly older is that the "story" didn't want to screw Terra over by making him the only one of the BBS trio to have aged 10 years physically so the writers just go "whatever it's fine."
Honestly this or maybe an oversight.

Him reforming like Xehanort did when Ansem and Xemnas died is the most likely take, and they just forgot to/decided to not age him.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The more I think about it, the more I absolutely hate that it seems that Sora rescued Kairi and died completely off-screen. I'm desperately hoping that we get a game that actually shows the whole adventure Sora went through. But still, why couldn't they just end the game with Sora leaving without rescuing Kairi? Augh.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Because without successfully rescuing Kairi there's no happy ending for Naminè.

Also honestly I rather them not have another KH1 retread if the plan was to have Sora die at the end of saving Kairi anyway.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The more I think about it, the more I absolutely hate that it seems that Sora rescued Kairi and died completely off-screen. I'm desperately hoping that we get a game that actually shows the whole adventure Sora went through. But still, why couldn't they just end the game with Sora leaving without rescuing Kairi? Augh.

I really don't think there IS a whole adventure. He used the power of waking and found her and she came back, but it killed him to do so. There shouldn't be ANOTHER whole game of Sora hunting for a lost Kairi, we've had enough of that.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't think there IS a whole adventure. He used the power of waking and found her and she came back, but it killed him to do so. There shouldn't be ANOTHER whole game of Sora hunting for a lost Kairi, we've had enough of that.

I mean Young Xehanort made it pretty clear, that like the dream world diving, abusing the power over and over recklessly will doom you to the same fate. Sora saved Kairi and failed to return

The weird thing is that everyone is having a good old time while he's gone and she's left alone crying.

Shouldn't we go get Sora?

Riku: yeah. I'll get to it after the party

I get it shouldn't be taken as literal as that though lmao

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
The problem with Sora seemingly dying off screen is that there's no weight to it. It's a needless gutpunch that doesn't even stick cause the secret ending immediately undoes it.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, okay, it sort of makes sense, but how did she get a Keyblade, and the Kingdom Key in particular?
Originally she was a Replica made of Sora's memories, so she spent most of the time using a fake Keyblade made of memories. However, she was able to use Roxas's/Sora's Keyblade when Roxas gave it to her. Currently, it's kind of hard to say what's going on. Data Sora had his fake Keyblade destroyed but was able to summon a real one later on, so that's a possibility. But we're probably not going to get a definitive answer until either Nomura talks about it, or more likely, we get another game focused around Roxas and Xion (and possibly Axel and Saix as well).

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
The problem with Sora seemingly dying off screen is that there's no weight to it. It's a needless gutpunch that doesn't even stick cause the secret ending immediately undoes it.

Sora's still dead as of the secret ending. He's just in an afterlife that might give him a second chance at life.

I don't think the gutpunch is Sora dies forever but that Sora is alone and separated from his friends. And Sora can't really take being alone so well...so there's an interesting thing to explore there.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia

The gut punch of Sora dying isn't his "death" ( I mean he literally revived Kairi from the dead just moments ago )

It's "ADVENTURES AINT OVER FOLKS"

I don't view it so much as an emotional gut punch moment but rather a last minute mic drop that KH3 isn't anywhere close to being franchise ending.

As you put it, the game pretty much immediately shows that Sora will be fine in the chess scene ( Eraqus holding Sora's piece ) and the secret movie.

DawnChocobo

Jan 14, 2019
I think Terranort was time-displaced too. We already know what Terra SHOULD look like as an adult (Xemnas), so the fact he didn't come back in that body means that he's likely a time-grabbed one like Xemnas and Ansem.

Either that or MX reconstituted himself as Old Man Xehanort and then somehow made Terranort out of Terra's heart.
The answer is that Nomura was prob too lazy to draw older versions of the BBS trio. Ok that may not be the actual answer but it still really bugs me that the BBS trio still look the same after so long.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
They could have at least shown Sora rescuing Kairi, if it was as simple as just doing it. My problem is that the ending is just... "And Kairi is fine but oops no more Sora!" It's not that there's not gut punch, it just cheapens the whole thing. Which is the norm with anything relating to Kairi, I guess. At the very least I want some details!

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
They could have at least shown Sora rescuing Kairi, if it was as simple as just doing it. My problem is that the ending is just... "And Kairi is fine but oops no more Sora!" It's not that there's not gut punch, it just cheapens the whole thing. Which is the norm with anything relating to Kairi, I guess. At the very least I want some details!

Remember what we did when everyone died. It's just that.

It'd be a bit anti-climatic to show it.

Sora went and fought a Lich and brought Kairi back.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The answer is that Nomura was prob too lazy to draw older versions of the BBS trio. Ok that may not be the actual answer but it still really bugs me that the BBS trio still look the same after so long.

Aqua and Ven make sense

World of Darkness time moves extremely slow compared to the outside. Aqua couldn't believe when Mickey told her how long had passed

Ven was sealed away. Which could easilly mean in time as well

Terra's body ATLEAST was around a few more years before Xehanort regained his memories and split himself. (it wasnt the full 10 years at all. but at least half)

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
And Sora's waking-diving while looking for Kairi's heart presumably no longer has her being his light in the darkness, so Sora is basically free diving in complete darkness.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Aqua and Ven make sense

World of Darkness time moves extremely slow compared to the outside. Aqua couldn't believe when Mickey told her how long had passed

Ven was sealed away. Which could easilly mean in time as well

Terra's body ATLEAST was around a few more years before Xehanort regained his memories and split himself. (it wasnt the full 10 years at all. but at least half)
Time doesn't move slowly in the RoD, it doesn't move at all. Also Aqua wasn't in disbelief over how much time had been taken she was just "Oh" over it. Like a "Huh, that's something."

Deleted member 29464

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Xenmas still isn't entirely clear to me. I thought in 2 he showed signs of having Terra's memories but now he shows no signs of that as if his memories are just of Xehanort.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
Terra coming back in his BBS age doesn't make sense, since he aged as Apprentice Xehanrot (which should have been how he looked like). But the icing on the cake was Mickey shouting "he is the 13th Darkness!" when Xehanort already stated in 3D that he had Terra under his control, and we know for a fact that Xion was indeed the 13th Darkness and Sora's replacement.

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So I finished the game yesterday and I had some bullet point thoughts and I was wondering if anyone felt similarly about the game overall and moment-to-moment.
  • The game felt immensely short and felt like the overarching plot didn't really... need a game? The plot felt static. There were no twists or turns, there wasn't really a sense of urgency, there wasn't really a drama, and the payoff for many of the characters just felt completely unearned.
  • The cutscene direction and quality of the cutscenes themselves were a major downgrade. They felt long and largely unimportant. There wasn't really any cutscene that triggered an emotional response like the previous games.
  • The choreography was a large step down and largely non-existent. Why?... I just don't get it....
  • The new and original music for the game was completely lacking... The compilation and remix music was absolutely phenomenal but for the most part there wasn't anything really standout and good. Maybe it's because of the cutscene quality being low as well.... I remember in each game a few original track being absolutely memorable like Kairi, Treasured Memories, Forza de Male, Hand in Hand, Lazy Afternoons, Destiny's Union, etc. This just felt so... empty.
  • I really liked how the game ended but everything about the journey to get to the end in this game felt so unmemorable.
  • The gameplay is great. It feels fun to move and attack enemies.
  • Unfortunately, I felt like there wasn't a lot of challenging enemies or memorable encounters for me to really use my loadouts.
  • Difficulty is complete ass. Why was proud mode so easy?
  • Some of the worlds were great and I loved that we spent a good chunk of time in them. Others overstayed their welcome or were just uninteresting.
  • The lack of postgame content and interesting boss fights is extremely disappointing.
  • I love the Gummi ship stuff in this game even if it's too easy.
  • Going back to the story, I really would've enjoyed it if they fleshed out MX more
    • I would love to know his background in Destiny's Island
    • Would've liked to see when he decided to turn evil and what really caused it.
    • Would've like to see Eraqus and MX's master and how MX got No Name
    • Would've like to see Eraqus and MX's journey to being a master and their time in Scala ad Caelum
  • Overall I really enjoyed the game and I really did enjoy the last stretch of the game from the Keyblade Graveyard onward. But everything before that, storywise, just felt really really bad. I enjoyed it from a gameplay perspective but holy crap was the story just so disappointing.

Oct 27, 2017
Xenmas still isn't entirely clear to me. I thought in 2 he showed signs of having Terra's memories but now he shows no signs of that as if his memories are just of Xehanort.
The villains of the first two games have basically been retconed away.

In 1 it was a a pretty straight forward story about a dude who was clearly the most powerful heartless / some kind of leader to them wanting to conquer all the worlds and have darkness take over. Now he was supposed to be really gunning to let old Xeahnort forge the x-blade and set up a scenerio where all the darkness/heartless get wiped out.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

He has bits from both but he's more MX than Terra. It's why he looks like ASOD and MX moreso than Terra.

Xemnas's personality seems to share traits from both Master Xehanort and Terra. From the former he inherits his manipulative nature, the concept of the Organization's black coat, and the idea of adding the letter "χ" to rename himself and his fellow Organization members. From the latter, at the very least, the Nobody inherits a familiarity with Aqua's armor, which he refers to as "friend", and his strong desire to find his other "friend" Ventus in Castle Oblivion, as he has Saïx search for the Chamber he sleeps in.

Aug 2, 2018
So, I'm confused about the conflicting motivations of Master Xehanort, AnsemSoD, and Xemnas.

We learn that Master Xehanort actually does NOT like darkness, and is upset about how much darkness exists. His whole goal is to restart the world, so that there's a chance of creating a world filled with light instead.

For one, that seems to contradict his Xehanort Reports and his conversation with Eraqus in BBS, where he wants (1) darkness and light to be balanced, and (2) to restart the Keyblade War out of scientific curiousity.

Putting that aside, why does AnsemSoD, his heartless, love darkness? Why does he want to open the door to darkness (which is... also a kind of Kingdom Hearts?) and swallow all the worlds in darkness? Why does he believe "darkness is the heart's true nature"?

Especially if AnsemSoD is actually working for Master Xehanort, and this is all part of his time travel scheme to get seven lights to fight thirteen darknesses sometime later. Why would part of that plan be "pretend to love darkness and try to cover the world in it, but actually our goal is to make a world of light"?

Furthermore, why did either AnsemSoD or Xemnas try find or create a Kingdom Hearts, when they knew they could not acquire the real Kingdom Hearts without the 7 lights and 13 darknesses fighting to create the χ-blade?

AnsemSoD's plan directly works against Master Xehanort's plan of restarting the world, and Xemnas's plan is inconsequential since Nobodies can grow hearts and his fake KH can't restart the world.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
So, I'm confused about the conflicting motivations of Master Xehanort, AnsemSoD, and Xemnas.

We learn that Master Xehanort actually does NOT like darkness, and is upset about how much darkness exists. His whole goal is to restart the world, so that there's a chance of creating a world filled with light instead.

For one, that seems to contradict his Xehanort Reports and his conversation with Eraqus in BBS, where he wants (1) darkness and light to be balanced, and (2) to restart the Keyblade War out of scientific curiousity.

Putting that aside, why does AnsemSoD, his heartless, love darkness? Why does he want to open the door to darkness (which is... also a kind of Kingdom Hearts?) and swallow all the worlds in darkness? Why does he believe "darkness is the heart's true nature"?

Especially if AnsemSoD is actually working for Master Xehanort, and this is all part of his time travel scheme to get seven lights to fight thirteen darknesses sometime later. Why would part of that plan be "pretend to love darkness and try to cover the world in it, but actually our goal is to make a world of light"?

Furthermore, why did either AnsemSoD or Xemnas try find or create a Kingdom Hearts, when they knew they could not acquire the real Kingdom Hearts without the 7 lights and 13 darknesses fighting to create the χ-blade?

AnsemSoD's plan directly works against Master Xehanort's plan of restarting the world, and Xemnas's plan is inconsequential since Nobodies can grow hearts and his fake KH can't restart the world.

MX and ASOD are saying hearts give way to darkness so that's consistent

MX seems to be on that's a bad thing so purge the people from the world and ASOD just thinks darkness is the true nature of man and loves it.

MX: The world began in darkness and from that darkness came light. From the light came the people and the people had hearts. Evil burgeoned in those hearts, begetting more darkness. And the darkness spread across the world like a plague. The light, the symbol of the World's hope, was devoured by shadow. Leaving nothing but ruin. An utter failure. But, the first light- the light of Kingdom Hearts- it can give us a new start. An empty World, pure and bright....

ASOD/Terranort: All worlds begin in darkness and all so end. The heart is no different. Darkness sprouts within it, it grows, consumes it. Such is its nature. In the end, every heart returns to the darkness whence it came. You see darkness is the heart's true essence.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Okay guys, maybe I forgot things but in KH2 Xenmas wanted Kingdom Hearts, because he wanted to regain his heart, but in DDD it is brought up by him that nobodies can always grow back new hearts. Did he always knew this, and was just fooling the organization the whole time or did he learned it after meeting his past self.