• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
For a forum that has had enough debates of what the "original Versus XIII" vision was from the Nomura trailers, it's honestly surprising to see so many people claim that Verum Rex attains that "Versus XIII" feeling. It doesn't match at all to what the original trailers for the project were about, and it has a totally different tone and vibe. Heck, t's closer to the Brave Exvius than to Versus itself. Only thing they have going for it is Yozora being a KH3 Riku rehash, which already is a Noctis rehash; and the two Somnus notes playing.

Completely and absolutely agree.

Verum Rex didn't remotely scratch that Versus XIII itch.

Its an entirely different aesthetic ,barring some surface level similarities.

It doesn't have the same pull..at all and I didnt particularly care for it.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

Fusionterra

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone want destiny island become the central hub after rescuing ventus?

You can spar with the guardian of lights with 3 difficulties each one get you a item/weapon/new abilities/magic. You can walk around and talk to them trigger their character mission. it's second revisit but with new party members and cutscenes, more character interactions.

Example for Axel, he can look for "Roxas" in data twilight town, Mickey searching for maleficent and Pete, go with Kairi to gather some ingredients or something.

After doing all the mission, you head for the final battle.

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
For a forum that has had enough debates of what the "original Versus XIII" vision was from the Nomura trailers, it's honestly surprising to see so many people claim that Verum Rex attains that "Versus XIII" feeling. It doesn't match at all to what the original trailers for the project were about, and it has a totally different tone and vibe. Heck, t's closer to the Brave Exvius than to Versus itself. Only thing they have going for it is Yozora being a KH3 Riku rehash, which already is a Noctis rehash; and the two Somnus notes playing.
I honestly don't know how you can't see Versus XIII in this. Between that inital cutscene in Toybox and the secret ending, you'd have to be blind not to notice it.

Jaydx

Feb 6, 2019
Hi I have just completed my second playthrough of KH3, and have some new insights and speculations I would like to share. I don't have friends to discuss KH3 with irl so I'm so very excited that I have found this forum. So here goes.

Regarding Sora's 3 compartments, I thought that they were Roxas, Ventus and Xion after my first playthrough. But after my 2nd, I think the third one might not be Xion. Throughout KH3, hearts have escaped Sora's body twice when "sparks" were introduced, in Ventus's case it was when Vanitas was about to strike down Aqua; and in Roxas's case it was during the Org13 fight with Saix and Xion. This means that there is still one more non-Sora heart within Sora, and according to the Secret Report it is one that has "held its heart much longer than Ventus's did". This is unlikely Xion, as Xehanort and the Org13 was able to create Xion and put her into a replica without extracting her from Ansem the Wise's data OR from Sora's heart.

I kinda think that this third heart is either inherited by Sora by birth, or seeked refuge within Sora like Ventus's heart did, long before Sora was a kid. And I guess that this heart will link Sora to one of the KHUx character. This would be a cool way to keep Sora relevant in games to come. My guess would be Ephemer since Sora was able to summon the help of ancient keyblade wielders during the final KH3 fight (the flying keyblades), and this seems to be connected to Ephemer since he was shown before Sora was able to summon the flying keyblades. Also this explains Vanitas's battle move that summons flying keyblades that he can ride on during the Org13 fight, coincidence?

However, I have another theory that counters the one above. Regarding the time travel part, it is known that 5 characters and a key has travelled from fairytale time to the BBS era and have been keeping up appearances in the recent stories, and this was the plan of Brain who was the imposter who killed Strelitzia. My guess is that Luxu has bequeathed No Name to Ephemer (whose descendant would be named similarly - Eraqus, starts with E - and in place to inherit No Name). This should mean that Ephemer wasn't one of the time traveller as he was to lived his life in the post-keyblade war era in order to pass on his No Name generation by generation, Luxu was to make sure this happen. This would oppose my guess that Ephemer's heart finally ended up within Sora's.

As for the time traveller, my guess would be Lauriam Ventus and Elrena (this would tie the long due question of why these characters appear in both fairytale time and current time), Brain (he is the initiator) and Skuld (there has to be another girl who Lea and Isa cannot recognize, specimen X in secret report). Other candidates could be Demyx and Luxord, who was revealed to possess "ancient keyblade legacy". From Luxord's last words, I'm pretty sure we will see more of him in the next game. Maybe there will be multiple batches of time travellers besides the first 5 mentioned by specimen X?

I'm very excited to see how the story progresses. I'm thinking that when MoM "vanished without a trace" in Back Cover, he is actually summoned by Xigbar from the future. And the reason he wants to be present in that future where the scapegoat fails, is because he wants to see Sora, the person that brings light back even when darkness has taken over. What happens beyond this point would not be recorded in the Book of Prophecy anymore, so the MoM is no longer a "foreteller" so to say, just a keyblade master that has divine power.

What do you think? I know there's a lot of extrapolation, but this is what I think at this point.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
I honestly don't know how you can't see Versus XIII in this. Between that inital cutscene in Toybox and the secret ending, you'd have to be blind not to notice it.

Versus was fantasy based on reality, bloody, had much more gravitas and different color palette and design aesthetic.

Its characters were meant to look like real people instead of the dolls you see in KH.

The action choreography was also very different in Verum Rex.

Its hard to put into words for me, but it doesn't have the same appeal to me at all.

EDIT: I know its meant to be Versus, they played somnus over the cutscene but I am just expressing that, even inspite of their attempts,it seems the original Versus aesthetic has been lost to time.

André

Oct 25, 2017
Europe

You can spar with the guardian of lights with 3 difficulties each one get you a item/weapon/new abilities/magic. You can walk around and talk to them trigger their character mission. it's second revisit but with new party members and cutscenes, more character interactions.

Example for Axel, he can look for "Roxas" in data twilight town, Mickey searching for maleficent and Pete, go with Kairi to gather some ingredients or something.

The game desperately needed a non-Disney hub world, and not just short cutscenes at Yen Sid's tower. Made the pacing of the game all weird.

So yeah, I agree.

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Versus was fantasy based on reality, bloody, had much more gravitas and different color palette and design aesthetic.

Its characters were meant to look like real people instead of the dolls you see in KH.

The action choreography was also very different in Verum Rex.

Its hard to put into words for me, but it doesn't have the same appeal to me at all.
The toybox cutscene is purposely misleading I think. The secret ending, just by some of the camera angles, reminded me a lot of Versus 13

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I guess it's safe to assume that was the Master of Masters in the secret ending? Do we think he'll end up being the next big villain with Xigbar/Luxu and those dumbasses from Back Cover acting as a new sort of Organization-like threat? I'm still trying to figure out why the Master apparently wanted all this to happen. I'm also wondering why Ava didn't show up for the meeting but I assume that involves stuff I don't know from the mobile story.

Example for Axel, he can look for "Roxas" in data twilight town etc.

Yes! That would've been great. I was really hoping the Destiny Islands would be playable again. That was such a tease when they went there to get Aqua, I kept expecting it to give me control before going to the door.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017

The vibe, tone and overall presentation is totally different, people are really projecting. While I do agree that during the secret ending it visually evokes some Versus XIII nostalgia, the Toy Box cutscene does not match at all. It's like an interpretation of what Nomura thought people liked about the cancelled project (certain character designs concepts like red haired guy with a fedora, a guy with glasses, a red-eyed Sasuke with a sword...) over a city setting at night; and completely missing the point.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

Yozora is straight up sitting on the Tokyo Metropolitan Building which inspired the Citadel while a variation of Somnus plays.

latest

Sora shows the 104 building only in TWEWY and Riku shows the Citadel/Tokyo Metropolitan Building from Versus/FFXV

So it might not have the Versus feel but I do think there are going to be concepts from Versus/XV for Riku's story that Nomura is going to reuse.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
Yozora is straight up sitting on the Tokyo Metropolitan Building which inspired the Citadel while a variation of Somnus plays.

latest

Sora shows the 104 building only in TWEWY and Riku shows the Citadel/Tokyo Metropolitan Building from Versus/FFXV

So it might not have the Versus feel but I do think there are going to be concepts from Versus/XV for Riku's story that Nomura is going to reuse.

Well, re-using location concepts and characters design isn't going to be it for me. And it surprises me that people are giving it a pass and really arguing that Verum Rex (other than the two shots during the secret ending with Somnus) was anything like the original Versus XIII presentation; since a certain mainline JRPG entry straight up recycled those Versus characters and locations and people still give the game shit because it wasn't close enough to the initial trailers.

I agree with you that Nomura is going to introduce those concepts over time in his future projects; but I still stand by the Verum Rex Toy Box sequence not having anything to do with what Versus XIII was shown to be.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Well, re-using location concepts and characters design isn't going to be it for me. And it surprises me that people are giving it a pass and really arguing that Verum Rex (other than the two shots during the secret ending with Somnus) was anything like the original Versus XIII presentation; since a certain mainline JRPG entry straight up recycled those Versus characters and locations and people still give the game shit because it wasn't close enough to the initial trailers.

I agree with you that Nomura is going to introduce those concepts over time in his future projects; but I still stand by the Verum Rex Toy Box sequence not having anything to do with what Versus XIII was shown to be.

I'm not sure how much stock we're meant to put into the Verum Rex trailer. Like is Riku going run around in a mecha or battling mechas?

It could very well be the that the only stuff from Verum Rex/Versus that is showing up for the next KH game is Versus! Noctis as Yozora and the locations with a bit of what was partially meant to be Versus' plot. I mean those are the only things in the secret ending.

Like in the original Versus, Noctis is supposed to journey into the afterlife to save his lover (Stella was dead from the beginning) which can turn into Riku journeys into the afterlife to save his best friend (while Sora plays the Reaper's Game for a second chance at life.)

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
You do realize you can edit your posts?

And it's the same boss, in seven different environments, with differing variables in each encounter.
The variables are adds, (already not great) and different elements to its attacks. It still does the fire a beam at you and leave behind exploding clone thing in every ireration. Changing the zone doesn't make it a more compelling fight.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
So I guess it's safe to assume that was the Master of Masters in the secret ending? Do we think he'll end up being the next big villain with Xigbar/Luxu and those dumbasses from Back Cover acting as a new sort of Organization-like threat? I'm still trying to figure out why the Master apparently wanted all this to happen. I'm also wondering why Ava didn't show up for the meeting but I assume that involves stuff I don't know from the mobile story.

Yes! That would've been great. I was really hoping the Destiny Islands would be playable again. That was such a tease when they went there to get Aqua, I kept expecting it to give me control before going to the door.

Yep. The Master of Master and Luxu/Xigbar are the next big villains along with the foretellers.

Also Ava attacking Luxu is what starts the Keyblade War.

Eventually, Ava tracks down Luxu at the outskirts of Daybreak Town and interrogates him. Luxu explains that he was assigned to survive the Keyblade War and observe the events to come, and that her attempts to prevent the war by locating the Master are futile. He tells her that the Lost Page is an additional part of the prophecy that was kept secret from the Foretellers, making Ava wonder if all the conflict had simply been according to the Master's plans. She accuses Luxu of being the traitor, who then reveals the truth of the traitor. Luxu wonders if the Master has chosen to take an interest in the fate of his disciples over the fate of the world, but Ava refuses to accept that the Master's motives could be suspect, and accuses Luxu of exploiting the Master's will. She attacks Luxu, signalling the beginning of the Keyblade War as Daybreak Town's bell begins to toll. Shortly afterwards, she arrives to the Badlands with the members of her Union.

We don't know what happened to her after this.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. The Master of Master and Luxu/Xigbar are the next big villains along with the foretellers.

Also Ava attacking Luxu is what starts the Keyblade War.

We don't know what happened to her after this.

Oh ok thanks! Well that might explain why she wasn't invited to the party. She was the most sensible one among them. Well, except for the part where she still played into the Masters hands and helped start the war lol.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
This has already been pointed out most probably, but Back Cover states that whatever plan the MoM has after Luxu fulfill's his role, needs 7 wielders (which is reinforced in 3's ending when Eraqus puts the seven black pieces on the chess board). It's literally how the movie starts, with MoM telling Luxu that the five foretellers + him once he comes back make 6, with Luxu being the seventh and final wielder.

With Ava seemingly gone (I assume that her disappearance will be a plot point during KH4 like Riku's was in KH2 or Terra's in KH3), they might be looking for another Master to replace her, and what's best than another Union leader taken from the dandelions? We know now that Ephemer and Strelitzia are still dead and Brain was working against the MoM's plan. That leaves us Ventus, Lauriam and Skuld as the new potential Vulpis foreteller.

Taking into account that Nomura will probably try for Ava's replacement to be a female character to balance things on the antagonists' side, I can see it being Skuld, which would tie nicely with her seemingly disappearance after Ansem experimented on her; and would also personally involve Lea and Isa with one of the new antagonists.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
so, are people saying the secret ending has something to do with why there was no FF representation in KH3? that nomura planned it that way for the future?

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
If anything the secret ending makes me think we're finally getting Square Enix Worlds with TWEWY in it.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it. I can't believe I waited so long for this. Characters were all so bland it took all of the emotional impact out of almost all cutscenes. I didn't even flinch at Sora "dying". The resolution of the dark seeker saga leaves a horrid aftertaste. And what the fuck is Ocelot doing in KH3?!
I like how so many people are drawing the Xigbar/Braig/luxu to oceleot connection

Rush_Khan

Oct 26, 2017
So umm, was it supposed to be obvious that Terra was the Heartless guardian? I remember seeing a YouTube theory video about it but would never have guessed this.

scooper

Jan 20, 2019
this would have been a super cute touch that, again, could have been used to give Kairi some development. frame it as a fun little foraging date for her and sora, have them talk about things that have nothing to do with the current events (i.e. villains, battles) and aren't hollow, superficial "i like you" statements. let them have that moment to be distracted from the heavy shit going on around them and enjoy each other's company without any added pressure to be "couple-y."

part of the reason i think sora and riku's relationship is so convincing and strong is because they were allowed to just be friends and then whatever romantic subtext players may or may not have read into it just kind of started writing itself. giving kairi that same courtesy would help that relationship find the depth it needs. they do friendship well in this game. so well that people often start viewing them as romantic when that isn't even the intention. this kind of seems like a no-brainer to me. build the foundation.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Finished it. What an amazing finale to this saga. The ending had me teary-eyed several times, and there's a lot to unpack and discuss I feel.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
this would have been a super cute touch that, again, could have been used to give Kairi some development. frame it as a fun little foraging date for her and sora, have them talk about things that have nothing to do with the current events (i.e. villains, battles) and aren't hollow, superficial "i like you" statements. let them have that moment to be distracted from the heavy shit going on around them and enjoy each other's company without any added pressure to be "couple-y."

part of the reason i think sora and riku's relationship is so convincing and strong is because they were allowed to just be friends and then whatever romantic subtext players may or may not have read into it just kind of started writing itself. giving kairi that same courtesy would help that relationship find the depth it needs. they do friendship well in this game. so well that people often start viewing them as romantic when that isn't even the intention. this kind of seems like a no-brainer to me. build the foundation.

I still believe they are lowkey trying to set up Sora and Riku.

oldboss

Nov 9, 2017
There's something that's been bugging me. I must have missed something, but does anyone have a clue as to why Terranort and Master Xehanort can coexist? IIRC, after BBS, when Terranort willingly unlocks his heart, you get Ansem SOD and Xemnas. So, at this point no part of MX nor Terra exist outside of those two? Or did only MX's heart possessing Terra's body form Ansem SOD, while Terra's heart was cast away someplace else?

Plus, upon MX's recompletion, wouldn't Terra also kinda have to be recompleted? And if he was, why would he still be possessed by MX, as OG MX exists as one being again?

It's the last remaining part of the story that has me confused.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
There's something that's been bugging me. I must have missed something, but does anyone have a clue as to why Terranort and Master Xehanort can coexist? IIRC, after BBS, when Terranort willingly unlocks his heart, you get Ansem SOD and Xemnas. So, at this point no part of MX nor Terra exist outside of those two? Or did only MX's heart possessing Terra's body form Ansem SOD, while Terra's heart was cast away someplace else?

Plus, upon MX's recompletion, wouldn't Terra also kinda have to be recompleted? And if he was, why would he still be possessed by MX, as OG MX exists as one being again?

Ansem SOD and Xemnas are time traveling hearts in replica bodies, from what we know. Unfortunately, Terranort's continued existence is one of those mysteries we don't have a super clear answer to. It might have something to do with Terra being the Guardian and Xehanort's heart still lingering inside him somehow, similar to how he wanted the rest of the organization as vessels.

oldboss

Nov 9, 2017
Ansem SOD and Xemnas are time traveling hearts in replica bodies, from what we know. Unfortunately, Terranort's continued existence is one of those mysteries we don't have a super clear answer to. It might have something to do with Terra being the Guardian and Xehanort's heart still lingering inside him somehow, similar to how he wanted the rest of the organization as vessels.

Ah, so I'm not the only one scratching my head over this ^^. I just don't even get how Terra's body came to be again. Could be that, when a possessed person's heartless and nobody die, the "host" as well as the "guest" both go back to their original selves? Even though the guest has no original body so to speak of, in this particular case.

As for Xehanort still lingering in Terra's body... well, I'm out of ideas for now, so I'm gonna go with what you said.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Pretty good spoilercast. By the end of it, they pointed out something out that only just not hit me with how perfect Xehanort is as villain for the series.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
dt6s6s1.gif

https://twitter.com/Much118x

I can finally start adding to this thread. Expect a lot, because this game deserves all the gifs. :)
It can't be understated how all three protagonists of Birth by Sleep got utterly screwed over.

Terra: Loses his body to Xehanort.
Ventus: Has his heart left inside Sora to heal and his body is locked away in Castle Oblivion.
Aqua: Wanders the darkness for ten years and falls to a corrupting power that overtakes all of her negative emotions.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fucking tears man, this was a journey and I loved it. Glad to be back in this thread, I have a lot of catching up to do.

The ending was just beautiful, I love that everything ended so well. Give me more Marluxia, though. Lord of the Castle was in the game, I was so excited when that started playing!

Biggest problem with the game for me was the lack of contextual reaction commands during bosses, either mid fight, or as finishing moves. Triangle to awesome, whatever, but it added a lot to fights in 2.

And the lack of really kickass new boss themes.

I'm barely writing anything coherent, but I just finished it, and I haven't even watched the epilogue yet.

Oct 27, 2017
So I just beat the game, and I really didn't understand much from the ending or the secret ending. I watched Back Cover but that just gives me more questions. Is there a good video or post to kind of explain what it means as much as we know?

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
So I just beat the game, and I really didn't understand much from the ending or the secret ending. I watched Back Cover but that just gives me more questions. Is there a good video or post to kind of explain what it means as much as we know?

Ending: Sora used power of waking and managed to successfully save Kairi, but is lost/dead in the process.

Epilogue: Turns out Xigbar was playing Master Xehanort all along and he was part of a more grand design. He summons back 4 Ancient Keyblade Masters and we're teased with the box and what he's about to tell them. We don't find out what that is - but Eraqus setting up the 7 black pieces with their helmet design is a foreshadowing that they'll be villains of the next arc.

Secret Ending : Sora isn't "dead dead"but somehow ended up in Shibuya and Riku somehow ends up in Shinjuku, in the same world as Verum Rex.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Aqua: "You've seen me weak for far too long. Time for me to show what I can do."

*whoops Vantitas' ass in battle*

*immediately gets knocked out in following cutscene*

Nomura why.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have some good pictures of the Sea Salt crew's new outfits in the ending? I've been looking around but have had some trouble finding any.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

MX and Terra were both recompleted.

Terra in his original body.

And MX in his.

So Terra either got repossessed offscreen or Terra got recompleted with MX's taint still in him.

ASOD and Xemnas didn't come to exist until years after BBS' ending. Xehanort unlocking his and Terra's heart just gave him amnesia.

ASOD is MX's heartless while his guardian is Terra's heartless. So ASOD is using Terra as a slave.

Xemnas is a fusion of Xehanort and Terra. His closing speech about how lonely he feels without his companions speaks to a piece of Terra in him.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
why isn't Terra older?

I think Terranort was time-displaced too. We already know what Terra SHOULD look like as an adult (Xemnas), so the fact he didn't come back in that body means that he's likely a time-grabbed one like Xemnas and Ansem.

Either that or MX reconstituted himself as Old Man Xehanort and then somehow made Terranort out of Terra's heart.