• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

scooper

Jan 20, 2019
I'm so done with Riku to be honest. Especially when David Gallagher's performance in KHIII was kind of bad. I'd rather Sora in a more fresh scenario than Riku in any scenario.
i adore riku. he is my special precious boy.

that being said, i sometimes really feel that the best thing that could happen is for him to get benched. not written out entirely, but at least demoted to a satellite/recurring character a la leon or yen sid. he's a keyblade master? give him an apprentice. relegate him to a teaching role. that way he can still make an appearance and stay connected to the story, but it'd be like keeping him in a cryogenic safety chamber where you don't have to worry about him stealing the show or dying or ruining his character through overdevelopment. you could even have him pull a yen sid and jump in to help kick ass during the finale. in fact, dialing back his presence would really make a moment like that where he just drops in to be OP really pop, like when Roxas finally returned in KG and beat the shit out of Saix.

my biggest fear if he's kept on in the major way that he is now is that something bad is bound to happen. he either dies to save sora (which, to add insult to injury, will probably happen as sora's dying to save kairi, therefore becoming riku dying to save kairi by proxy,) or his character gets ruined (which could happen any number of ways.) i myself would be fine with him being sidelined if it means that his life is preserved and his integrity is intact.

Oct 25, 2017
i adore riku. he is my special precious boy.

that being said, i sometimes really feel that the best thing that could happen is for him to get benched. not written out entirely, but at least demoted to a satellite/recurring character a la leon or yen sid. he's a keyblade master? give him an apprentice. relegate him to a teaching role. that way he can still make an appearance and stay connected to the story, but it'd be like keeping him in a cryogenic safety chamber where you don't have to worry about him stealing the show or dying or ruining his character through overdevelopment. you could even have him pull a yen sid and jump in to help kick ass during the finale. in fact, dialing back his presence would really make a moment like that where he just drops in to be OP really pop, like when Roxas finally returned in KG and beat the shit out of Saix.

my biggest fear if he's kept on in the major way that he is now is that something bad is bound to happen. he either dies to save sora (which will likely happen as sora's dying to save kairi, therefore becoming riku dying to save kairi by proxy,) or his character gets ruined (which could happen any number of ways.) i myself would be fine with him being sidelined if it means that his life is preserved and his integrity is intact.
I would say this for most of the characters, but he was best in 1. His role as a central figure of the story hasn't been interesting since maybe 2. I think he would definitely work better as an old guard character. Maybe even Sora too.

Rush_Khan

Oct 26, 2017
Finally finished the game. Wow, loved every minute of it! Felt a little too short though (clocked about 40-ish hours, mostly looking for lucky emblems but only found 40 once the credits rolled >_<).

Hyped as hell for Yozora versus XIII!!!!

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I hope final mix changes some things.

Anti-Aqua is fun, but also too similar to Mirror Aqua

Those Demon Tides/Towers need to be replaced with... anything else. They're more played out than Dark Side in less time.

I feel like the Org members before the Xehanorts needed more to them.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I hope final mix changes some things.

Anti-Aqua is fun, but also too similar to Mirror Aqua

Those Demon Tides/Towers need to be replaced with... anything else. They're more played out than Dark Side in less time.

I feel like the Org members before the Xehanorts needed more to them.
More to them in terms of movesets? I suspect that if they do add data battles then those versions will have new moves but I don't see them updating the story versions.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
More to them in terms of movesets? I suspect that if they do add data battles then those versions will have new moves but I don't see them updating the story versions.
Yeah, I mean in terms of movesets. Like when you wittle some of them down to their solo battles, it becomes really obvious they don't have a lot.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I mean in terms of movesets. Like when you wittle some of them down to their solo battles, it becomes really obvious they don't have a lot.
Definitely, they were clearly built around the idea of being group fights and not much more than that. Which I think is fine for the story fights but if you just dumped the current versions into individual battles with more health it would be real boring.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
Have we ever seen Keyblades break before? Riku just seems to pop out to the shops and get a new one, and Mickey put some decals on his. I feel like this should've had some significance. I didn't think it was possible to just break a weapon of that caliber and casually get another one.

clockstrikes

Oct 27, 2017
Have we ever seen Keyblades break before? Riku just seems to pop out to the shops and get a new one, and Mickey put some decals on his. I feel like this should've had some significance. I didn't think it was possible to just break a weapon of that caliber and casually get another one.

Ven's broke in the KH2FM secret ending but other than that, I don't think so.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017

We saw the X-blade break.

Also Ven's keyblade, but Ven also broke with it so

*shrug*

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I feel like this game would have been better off if they dropped the whole DDD / 7vs13 plot. It didn't really amount to anything other than weird out of place redemption monologues when you killed each member. And it was too many characters to juggle so no one got a decent arc.

Just have Terranort reform after KH2 and say that with his heart being completed he regained his memories and Xehanort took complete control. Have Braig join him and do the same plot with Vanitas returning (seriously that plot of the negative emotions being harnessed at Monsters Inc is the best incorporation of Disney into the main plot ever) and just go from there.
Like the scene with Terranort wrecking your crew shows how imposing he'd be as a main villain. You could even have Sora abuse the power of waking to awaken Terra's heart after the final boss battle and ditch that whole fridging Kairi part.

Last edited:

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
I feel like this game would have been better off if they dropped the whole DDD / 7vs13 plot. It didn't really amount to anything other than weird out of place redemption monologues when you killed each member.
Yeah, it ended up being super clumsy for multiple reasons.

1) I still don't know why a new No Name Keyblade is created every time someone is defeated.

2) I still don't know why that's the process for creating the true X-blade.

3) The game did a bad job of convincing me that the New Org members we didn't already know about from DDD would have been on board with the New Org. And because of how little attention they get as characters (rather than story obstacles in the Disney worlds), their dramatic death scenes felt unearned. Vexen's the only one whose role ends up making any sense.

4) In light of 3, the rapid-fire fights didn't feel very satisfying.

Zaverious

Oct 25, 2017
I need the eventual DLC keyblade to be unique and come a long with super hard boss fights and dungeons.
What this means is I want No Name DLC transforming into wings, gauntlets, and greaves like BBSFM's No Heart.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Watch Nomura do something actually insane with Aqua's sacrificed Keyblade and Armor

edit: Like watch it turn out to be Lingering Will 2.0 or something but this time it's Ava/Skuld/strelitzia or something.

Oct 25, 2017
3) The game did a bad job of convincing me that the New Org members we didn't already know about from DDD would have been on board with the New Org. And because of how little attention they get as characters (rather than story obstacles in the Disney worlds), their dramatic death scenes felt unearned. Vexen's the only one whose role ends up making any sense.

I mean, it seems like Marluxia and Larxene had other stuff going on that hasn't been revealed yet and weren't really on board with Xehanort's plan to begin with.

Honestly, it seems like almost everyone who wasn't literally Xehanort or Vanitas was pretty much working their own game the whole time. Not unlike the first Organization. The only one who feels like we didn't get much of an explanation for is Luxord (but I guess that will come in UX/4 when we find out more about who he is).

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it and wtf, is there any clarity on how Sora says he's going to save Kairi then she shows up on Destiny Islands and he fades away. How does that make any sense? I'm cool with the rest of the stuff.

As for the Secret Ending, does it mean they're gonna drop the whole Disney part of this? And the assumption is Riku is trying to save Sora right?

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it and wtf, is there any clarity on how Sora says he's going to save Kairi then she shows up on Destiny Islands and he fades away. How does that make any sense? I'm cool with the rest of the stuff.

As for the Secret Ending, does it mean they're gonna drop the whole Disney part of this? And the assumption is Riku is trying to save Sora right?

It likely means that Riku is trying to find Sora (or got sucked in to something else), but no they're not dropping the Disney stuff from Disney's own series. It no more means that than Deep Dive or Birth by Sleep meant that Disney was going to be dropped.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
MoM's Book of Prophecies was written purposely till the end of the KBW.

If there were any more text that details what happens after the end of the world, the rest of the Foretellers would know that Ava was setting up the Dandellions among other things, and that they'll be 'resummoned' back centuries or aeons later in the present day, yet Aced was freaking out.

MoM only let the Foretellers know what they needed to know, just as he let Luxu know far more about specific elements of the future. ( that Xehanort would eventually receive No Name, and that that was Luxu's cue to stop watching and start the process of reclaiming it )

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia

There's 2 ways to view the ending of KH3:

Literally: Sora in his 'power-of-waking-bungie-jumps' eventually manage to save Kairi, but that cost his basically his whole heart and life to be at the edge of death/dying soon. He stayed with Kairi at Destiny Islands but he was living on borrowed time after abusing that power, and eventually fades away in front of Kairi.

Not-literally: Kairi was saved but Sora never returned at all. The ending with him vanishing is just metaphorical to imply that Sora was never there while everyone's enjoying their happy ending, basically as a twist to pull a mic-drop of "nope, not everyone got their happy ending yet."

And nah, there's no way they're gonna drop Disney.

crash-14

Oct 27, 2017
Don't get how so many people came to the conclusion that Disney is getting drop from KH with the secret movie...

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

Power of Waking. Sora died saving Kairi.

YX: Your journey ends here. Good-bye, Sora. Your time in this world is....-fades away-

The secret movie has Sora in TWEWY Shibuya which revolves around the dead trying to get a second chance at life playing the Reaper's game.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Put me on the side of benching Riku. His character ark was pretty good and he is a master now and lets be done with that. He sucked in 3, and I fear he will get lamer if they continue making him a big part of everything. Make amends and give Kairi a proper spotlight. They did her dirty this game, and all the times before (although 1 is okay because it set up good motivation and what not).

Yeah its a symbolic thing. Some people think it was literally him there with Kairi but its clear thats not what happens with the power of waking. You don't come back, you get lost/die

KingdomKey

Oct 27, 2017
Hoping they will utilize the reapers games of sorts to have Sora enter his worldline again. Yet I have a feeling they won't.

Anyhow. It's interesting to see how they'll fit in the Foretellers in the story for the next game since Sora seems to have entered a different worldline, perhaps he will meet one of the union leaders from ux to tie it in.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Put me on the side of benching Riku. His character ark was pretty good and he is a master now and lets be done with that. He sucked in 3, and I fear he will get lamer if they continue making him a big part of everything. Make amends and give Kairi a proper spotlight. They did her dirty this game, and all the times before (although 1 is okay because it set up good motivation and what not).

Yeah its a symbolic thing. Some people think it was literally him there with Kairi but its clear thats not what happens with the power of waking. You don't come back, you get lost/die

Agree on benching Riku. He should be like Roxas. He should show up to be badass.

And if Nomura wants to have someone like Riku to contrast with Sora then he should give focus to Terra or Roxas to replace Riku. Terra would be the most interesting choice since he might want to atone for what Xehanort did while he was using him.

Ex-Psych

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Never got the opportunity to see it in my last playthrough but dang Kairi can do combos.

Start at 0:10

Man she better be the protag of the next kh game. Kairi deserves justice

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Maybe eventually, but Riku's not gonna be benched in a game where Nomura's 'remaking' Versus 13.

Part of the shenanigans is gonna be Riku getting mistaken for Yozora.

However, I think the whole "what's gonna happen to Disney" question is valid imo. The thing about a Reaper's Game setup for Sora is that unless somehow the next KH game has a Reaper's Game that requires Sora to travel to various Disney worlds as part of the game, Sora's not gonna do much of the Disney adventuring this time round. And I can't see Nomura short-changing Versus 13/Verum Rex world into just a 5-hour experience. He'll want it to be meatier.

IMO, the question that raises will be how they integrate Disney worlds into the plot next time, or they won't even bother integrating and simply have Riku travel 5-or so Disney worlds before being sucked into Verum Rex or if someone else will play the Disney world parts.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but Nomura is going to do it. I'm anticipating that if Nomura were to write Kairi out, he'd give Sora another love interest to replace her.

Who would you make the main female character sans that though?

Aqua kinda clinches it by default. Olette is the 'and Peggy' of the Twilight Town gang, and Xion really only exists in context with Roxas and Axel.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Kairi's never going to get written out. It's honestly a question of whether or not Nomura wants to redeem her arc, or stops pretending her whole 'gonna protect you/be part of your world' thing has any payoff and just bench her at Destiny Islands and let another female character step up the plate.

In the context of next KH games, honestly none of the existing female characters has any real leg in the game. Of the BBS trio, only Ventus is connected to the UX plot. Of the Seasalt Trio, it's... Lea and Isa and their connection to their mysterious girlfriend. Of the Destiny Island Trio, only Sora is connected by power of friendship and main character power. Namine is cool but she's interlinked to Kairi's arc, unless they wanna pull a twist where Namine also ends up in Verum Rex world and is mistaken for "Stella."

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, Kairi's return/resurrection or whatever should just be this scene so we can be done with the character already.

I'm only half joking by the way. I genuinely do want to see her played out both so humorously and in such a way that's she written worth a damn.

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe eventually, but Riku's not gonna be benched in a game where Nomura's 'remaking' Versus 13.

Part of the shenanigans is gonna be Riku getting mistaken for Yozora.

However, I think the whole "what's gonna happen to Disney" question is valid imo. The thing about a Reaper's Game setup for Sora is that unless somehow the next KH game has a Reaper's Game that requires Sora to travel to various Disney worlds as part of the game, Sora's not gonna do much of the Disney adventuring this time round. And I can't see Nomura short-changing Versus 13/Verum Rex world into just a 5-hour experience. He'll want it to be meatier.

IMO, the question that raises will be how they integrate Disney worlds into the plot next time, or they won't even bother integrating and simply have Riku travel 5-or so Disney worlds before being sucked into Verum Rex or if someone else will play the Disney world parts.

Roxas or Aqua visits Disney worlds while Sora is stuck in the Reaper's Game and Riku winds up in Verum Rex trying to save him.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Speaking of writing and Nomura being awful at it why haven't they gotten another writer for KH? The dude is a character artist. Its nuts he even got a director role in the first place all those years ago, and all his writing is kinda poopoo. You would think they would get someone who knows something about writing to work with him on it so we get something at least a little bit good.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Kairi's never going to get written out. It's honestly a question of whether or not Nomura wants to redeem her arc, or stops pretending her whole 'gonna protect you/be part of your world' thing has any payoff and just bench her at Destiny Islands and let another female character step up the plate.

In the context of next KH games, honestly none of the existing female characters has any real leg in the game. Of the BBS trio, only Ventus is connected to the UX plot. Of the Seasalt Trio, it's... Lea and Isa and their connection to their mysterious girlfriend. Of the Destiny Island Trio, only Sora is connected by power of friendship and main character power. Namine is cool but she's interlinked to Kairi's arc, unless they wanna pull a twist where Namine also ends up in Verum Rex world and is mistaken for "Stella."

Funnily enough, Larxene is the one that seems like she'll be important in the next arc seeing as she's Elrena, a Dandelion Keyblade Wielder.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of writing and Nomura being awful at it why haven't they gotten another writer for KH? The dude is a character artist. Its nuts he even got a director role in the first place all those years ago, and all his writing is kinda poopoo. You would think they would get someone who knows something about writing to work with him on it so we get something at least a little bit good.

It's his series, and he does have other writers work with him. He's just the person in charge of the overall story.

7th_heaven

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
crossover game doesn't need a good writer lol

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Roxas or Aqua visits Disney worlds while Sora is stuck in the Reaper's Game and Riku winds up in Verum Rex trying to save him.

This is actually the best way to do it for the next game. To elaborate on your idea:

Aqua or Kairi or Xion + Donald + Goofy provide the Disney backdrop. They deal with the foretellers and Luxu (especially seeing as Aqua and Luxu have gone up against each other before).

Sora's story is about coming back to life playing the Reaper's Game and he's back by the end.

And Riku deals with Verum Rex stuff maybe looking for Sora as you say but stumbling upon the Master of Masters..

Oct 25, 2017
There's 2 ways to view the ending of KH3:

Literally: Sora in his 'power-of-waking-bungie-jumps' eventually manage to save Kairi, but that cost his basically his whole heart and life to be at the edge of death/dying soon. He stayed with Kairi at Destiny Islands but he was living on borrowed time after abusing that power, and eventually fades away in front of Kairi.

Not-literally: Kairi was saved but Sora never returned at all. The ending with him vanishing is just metaphorical to imply that Sora was never there while everyone's enjoying their happy ending, basically as a twist to pull a mic-drop of "nope, not everyone got their happy ending yet."

And nah, there's no way they're gonna drop Disney.
Power of Waking. Sora died saving Kairi.

The secret movie has Sora in TWEWY Shibuya which revolves around the dead trying to get a second chance at life playing the Reaper's game.

Thanks for the explanation guys, I'm much more satisfied with him sacrificing himself to bring her back. Man I really didn't expect for there to be a hook for another one when it comes to Sora, I thought the games would continue but would have little to do with these characters.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Aqua kinda clinches it by default. Olette is the 'and Peggy' of the Twilight Town gang, and Xion really only exists in context with Roxas and Axel.
I will not stand for this Olette slander. She is part of a group that to this point hasn't had much beyond their antics confined to Twilight Town, but that doesn't mean that they couldn't do more with her.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

His writing might be poor but he's a good game director. He's got quality titles under his belt. And well, he's not the only one that writes Kingdom Hearts. He has others as well. It's team-written.

-- Who was it that gave Xion her name?
Nomura: That was Kanemaki-san (Tomoko Kanemaki, scenario writer). I admired the many meanings included in it, and decided on it straight away. KH scenarios are always written by many scenario writers, but I was troubled about who to ask this time. Since this would be a continuation of the series so far, I couldn't ask someone without an understanding of the subject matter of KH. Kanemaki-san had previously written novels for the KH series, and I thought it would be good to work with her on the actual games, so this time I asked her.

-- Is it unusual for you to write even the dialogue yourself?
Nomura: This was the first time I'd done it. In previous titles, I'd write the foundations of the plot, but apart from points where I wanted characters to say particular things along the way, I didn't put in the dialogue. So rather than what we call the scenario, it was really just the plot, but this time I thought, "Why don't I try to write this myself." And as you might expect, it was tiresome. When I finished writing, I said "I never want to do this again." (laughs)

So yeah. Nomura writes plot points and certain lines but the dialogue is left to the team usually except for Days (which actually had decent dialogue within the game)

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will not stand for this Olette slander. She is part of a group that to this point hasn't had much beyond their antics confined to Twilight Town, but that doesn't mean that they couldn't do more with her.

tumblr_inline_p7hsp3eUJ91rd2c91_500.png

I have no idea why Shiro Amano was not contracted to write the series.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

They're not really fighters or anything. They exist to flesh out Twilight Town, but they're not protagonists or anything close to it.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
tumblr_inline_p7hsp3eUJ91rd2c91_500.png

I have no idea why Shiro Amano was not contracted to write the series.
Amano's KH manga writing is a treasure.

They're not really fighters or anything. They exist to flesh out Twilight Town, but they're not protagonists or anything close to it.
While I see your point, Sora was the last kid you'd expect to be a fighter if you judged him at the beginning of KH1. And I have personal bias in this because the Twilight Town kids were always some of my favorite characters in the series ever since I started on the games with KH2.