• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Except that's not true. Riku's whole story arc destroyed that notion. Hell, Eraqus destroys that notion considering the dude was a complete dick despite being entirely devoted to light.
Just because you're a dick doesn't mean something is bad. It just makes you a zealot, which is always shitty. Maybe if they do a game of Darkness-wielders against zealots it'd be cool. But why wouldn't the other light-wielders step in to help?

And Riku's arc doesn't show us why the light could be bad. Balance didn't make him any stronger. It just made him... I dunno. Weaker than Sora?

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I mean, in spite of the fact that Terra got possessed by Xenahort and became Terranort - his arc within the story of BbS was that even though he used the power of darkness, his heart was always in the right place. I think it was mentioned several times that he was a truly someone of the 'light realm.' Basically he's like how Riku is now, except the difference is Terra was raised by a teacher who refused any sort of darkness at all, and that in return causes a complex for Terra.

Ultimately, Eraqus' blind 'all light no darkness allowed' position was also bad.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Hell, even SORA busts out dark powers (rage form) during the final battle.

As wrong as his plan was, Xehanort wasn't wrong that balance is a necessity.
I don't think that balance is a necessity so much as a reality. You cannot have a universe of pure light where darkness is totally defeated forever as long as there are hearts in the world. Hearts = emotions and free will. It's what makes things "alive" in the purest sense, hence even toys and digital stuff and ideas etc. If something can think for itself, and act out of its own feelings, it can have a heart. And once you have that, you have the capacity for darkness. It is about accepting that, and knowing that the fight between light and darkness is eternal, and not one that can be won. It's not about artificially maintaining some "balance", which is why Xehanort is wrong. You can't control it, it just is.

Terranort

Oct 27, 2017
He definitely was. But at least we got to see his keyblade a few times up close in KH3. What keyblade was Kairi even using? I don't think there was a single clear frontal shot of it in the entire game. By the time all the characters got the chance to pose with their keyblades for the big scenes at the very end, she was already gone!
There was a frontal shot of her keyblade though. When Xemnas was holding Kairi's hand as he kidnapped her, the keyblade is front and center xd.

Chumunga64

Banned
Jun 22, 2018
I can't believe Xehanort had a weird pseudo-redemption

like as soon as the BBS trio saw him at the end, they should have all beat the fuck out of him

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
I dunno, this is a universe of doubles, after all: Heartless and Nobodies, Originals and Replicas, etc. Lingering Will vs Guardian feels like another duality to me ("will" vs heart). I don't think it has to make perfect sense for it to fit in the universe of KH (hell, the universe keeps breaking its own rules minute by minute by design).

Plus, I think the emotional payoff of "Terra is Guardian" is still pretty powerful as the Guardian is an ever-present part of the mythos since the original KH; I think it adds a new weight to every appearance of the Guardian.

agreed. "lingering will" is more of Tera's 'essence' or fighting spirit that remained in his armor. Guardian is where his heart was trapped, which is pretty cool - especially when the guardian rips off the binds that cover its' mouth, kinda - in my opinion - revealing why the guardian is all bound and stuff. Tera's heart was being forced to be that thing and when he ripped off the banadages, that was pretty cool.

also, i've given up on trying to reason kingdom hearts plot out. yeah, it makes me angry that nomura seems to never respect his own universe by having any sort of continuity, but i gave up on it midway through kingdom hearts 3.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Just because you're a dick doesn't mean something is bad. It just makes you a zealot, which is always shitty. Maybe if they do a game of Darkness-wielders against zealots it'd be cool. But why wouldn't the other light-wielders step in to help?

And Riku's arc doesn't show us why the light could be bad. Balance didn't make him any stronger. It just made him... I dunno. Weaker than Sora?

And people who use darkness aren't inherently evil like you try and suggest hence Riku.

And I never said Riku's arc displayed light being bad. I said it displayed that darkness isn't necessarily bad, which it did.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Also, keep in mind that it was Sora's stubborn over-reliance on light that actually made him vulnerable to possession by Xehanort in DDD.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, but apparently, he's not Roxas or Xion enough to deserve his own life.
He had his own life, which he decided to use to sacrifice himself to give life to Namine. That's one of the better aspects of the whole ending. Before release, the whole Riku on a beach with Replica Riku seemed like it can't lead to anything even halfway decent, but that was actually a relatively sweet moment with some actual build-up.

ramenline

Jan 9, 2019
Anyone else felt nothing when Kairi was struck down by Xehanort? If Nomura was trying to pull an Aerith, it had zero impact on me.

If anything, it made me mad that Kairi was a damsel in distress again

kairi getting killed was type predictable imo, i expected it. what annoys me is that she spends the whole game training and gets promptly owned like she's only Level 5 or something.

speaking of levels, i feel like they put 10 levels over Sora's current level for Roxas because jesus Christ, his keyblades were taking out a bar of life every other hit.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Riku asked Repliku to inhibit that body.

He was the one who didn't want it. Honestly, I think that it was a pretty good ending for him.

Meeting Sora and Riku in his journey in CoM helped him find some semblance of being accepted for being his own person, and although he seemed to have died, he survived but he also never quite found his station for being, with the sole exception of his attachment to Namine.

At that point, he was already a death seeker, but he was simply looking for a meaningful death. To give his life for the person most precious to him.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

He was the one who didn't want it. Honestly, I think that it was a pretty good ending for him.

Meeting Sora and Riku in his journey in CoM helped him find some semblance of being accepted for being his own person, and although he seemed to have died, he survived but he also never quite found his station for being, with the sole exception of his attachment to Namine.

Riku yelling at Repliku to take the replica was probably David Gallagher's best line read (as real Riku) in the entire game.

JPLC

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'm sure Terra will never forget the time he became a fucking space ship
A formative experience for him, I'm sure

agreed. "lingering will" is more of Tera's 'essence' or fighting spirit that remained in his armor. Guardian is where his heart was trapped, which is pretty cool - especially when the guardian rips off the binds that cover its' mouth, kinda - in my opinion - revealing why the guardian is all bound and stuff. Tera's heart was being forced to be that thing and when he ripped off the banadages, that was pretty cool.

also, i've given up on trying to reason kingdom hearts plot out. yeah, it makes me angry that nomura seems to never respect his own universe by having any sort of continuity, but i gave up on it midway through kingdom hearts 3.
Yeah, the bandage thing was definitely a nice touch.

And honestly, in terms of universe continuity (or lack thereof), I kinda like it; just because characters think they know how things work doesn't actually mean they know how things work. Wrinkles and mysteries like that add more depth to the world, just like there are mysteries and paradigm shifts in real life (for example, some of the scientific models of the past are often laughable compared to the modern day, but those scientists of the past thought that their theories were true at the time).

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
kairi getting killed was type predictable imo, i expected it. what annoys me is that she spends the whole game training and gets promptly owned like she's only Level 5 or something.

speaking of levels, i feel like they put 10 levels over Sora's current level for Roxas because jesus Christ, his keyblades were taking out a bar of life every other hit.
that's a big problem for all the game, the companions drawn to much aggro and aren't brain dead and made of paper as before.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017

At that point, he was already a death seeker, but he was simply looking for a meaningful death. To give his life for the person most precious to him.

You'd have a point if it weren't for the fact that both Roxas and Xion also accepted their fate as just a part of Sora.

Roxas, Xion and even Vanitas have Sora defending their existence. Not Repliku though. It's okay to sacrifice him because he's just 15-year old Riku.

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know why Rikus sound quality was weird? It always sounded off like he called in his lines or recorded them in a bad booth or something

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
It's also hilarious how the trailers set up this big reveal with Aqua and you're like "Oh no, she got norted/fell to despair"

And then ultimately it's just "Whoops, got my ass kicked keybladeless."

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's also hilarious how the trailers set up this big reveal with Aqua and you're like "Oh no, she got norted/fell to despair"

I mean, she did fall to despair. The darkness just augmented those feelings and made them stronger. I thought that was fine, it made no logical sense for Aqua of all people to wind up an X vessel.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
You'd have a point if it weren't for the fact that both Roxas and Xion also accepted their fate as just a part of Sora.

Roxas, Xion and even Vanitas have Sora defendingtheir existence. Not Repliku though. It's okay to sacrifice him because he's just 15-year old Riku.
They "accepted" but it doesn't mean they were totally cool with it. It's pointed out that especially Roxas is hurting within Sora's heart.

And it was Repliku's own choice to do what he did. Of course Riku & Sora would've done something if they could've but Repliku made his own choice. Nothing Riku nor Sora can do about that (at that moment).

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
One little note I liked: Sora telling Xion "it's okay, you can stop now" compared to Axel SCREAMING the same thing at Saix during the fight.

Quinton Flynn got some really good screams during that battle.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

Not really.

Being Norted would have been silly and made no sense given she had been lost in Darkness for a decade. That she finally faced a situation that she couldn't take on and ended up getting thrown into the sea that warped her with darkness born from her negative emotions is a far better twist. Sora snaps her out of it not long after she surfaces, but Anti-Aqua was the result of ten years of pent up loneliness and quiet misery.

If anything is disappointing about the plot point, it's that Anti-Aqua is really only there for the one scene and boss fight (which is a great fight), and then she's back to normal in the very next scene. Though if the series goes forward with more reflections on light and darkness, Anti-Aqua returning in some capacity could probably work.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
They "accepted" but it doesn't mean they were totally cool with it. It's pointed out that especially Roxas is hurting within Sora's heart.

And it was Repliku's own choice to do what he did. Of course Riku & Sora would've done something if they could've but Repliku made his own choice. Nothing Riku nor Sora can do about that (at that moment).

Which is funny considering Vanitas gives a whole speech about being cool with who he was and that he chose to be that, only for Sora to pull a tantrum about it.

Wonder if Sora would do the same if he knew about Repliku giving away his life.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Which is funny considering Vanitas gives a whole speech about being cool with who he was and that he chose to be that, only for Sora to pull a tantrum about it.

And that's totally just like Sora, whereas Riku is mature enough to accept Repliku's personal decision. =P

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Oh fuck, i forgot that Sora's memories of CoM are still basically a jumbled mess. :sad:
As sad as it is, it also led to some humorous bits with Marluxia and Larxene.

The interesting thing about Vanitas is that he's like, the only one of the thirteen Darknesses that doesn't seek redemption or find any sort of peace with the light. He doesn't try to make nice with Ventus. He goes down fully accepting that he's Darkness and basically tells Ventus and Sora to shove it.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
the worst thing about anti aqua is that she's not a pay of for anything, if the dark world had been a complete world it would have probably felt less like a trailer bait.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I mean, she did fall to despair. The darkness just augmented those feelings and made them stronger. I thought that was fine, it made no logical sense for Aqua of all people to wind up an X vessel.

Ehhh

I call that falling to despair the same way somebody who loses their heart to a heartless attack "falls to despair" it was in no way willing.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Ven was like "okay, bro. Bye." It was kind of hilarious how different their reactions were.

Ehhh

I call that falling to despaur the same way somebody who loses their heart to a heartless attack "falls to despair" it was in no way willing.

You don't willingly fall to despair. A decade of loneliness and abandonment combined with drowning in the same dark sea that almost consumed Riku would fuck anyone up.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
The interesting thing about Vanitas is that he's like, the only one of the thirteen Darknesses that doesn't seek redemption or find any sort of peace with the light. He doesn't try to make nice with Ventus. He goes down fully accepting that he's Darkness and basically tells Ventus and Sora to shove it.

Technically, so does YX but I guess it's impossible for YX to get any sort of redemption arc since it'd cause a temporal paradox.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Ehhh

I call that falling to despaur the same way somebody who loses their heart to a heartless attack "falls to despair" it was in no way willing.
Of course it wasn't willing. Aqua wasn't looking to become Anti-Aqua. But the darkness that seeped into her sent her negative emotions into a state that overpowered everything else. She's a strong person, but the despair she quietly carried had been growing inside her the whole time she was trapped.

Technically, so does YX but I guess it's impossible for YX to get any sort of redemption arc since it'd cause a temporal paradox.
True! Though in YX's case, he probably thought, "I'll kick your ass when I'm an old man."

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
This is another thing for me. Didn't we just stop it this time? What is there to stop it from happening differently when it happens again, when YX is a wrinkly old man again?

God I hate time travel plots.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
You don't willingly fall to despair. A decade of loneliness and abandonment combined with drowning in the same dark sea that almost consumed Riku would fuck anyone up.

Maybe it's just me. But I'd say there's a distinct difference between getting attacked and that overwhelming you to the point of becoming heartless as a side effect

And what happens to Clayton, Gothel, Hans and Apprentice Xehanort.

There's a difference between getting thrown into the pool and jumping in yourself.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017

I don't even follow your argument anymore. You take issue with how Sora & Riku treat Repliku when one of them doesn't even know he exists and the other DOES try to talk him into staying. It's 100% Repliku's own choice to do what he does. It's not forced on them through an ultimatum like Roxas & Xion's fates. What's even to object here (other than the craziness of everything)?

And I don't remember any tantrums. Sora just doesn't understand Vanitas and tries to make sense of it. I also don't understand how you are trying to connect that to this discussion about Repliku.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Just beat the game, watching the credits before the secret movie.

Can someone explain some things to me?

Who was "that girl" that Axel and Lea tried to save and we're friends with? It's the same one that Ansem the Wise did experiments on.

What did Xehanort mean when he told Marluxia, Luxord, and Larxene something about being tied to the keyblade?

And did Sora fucking die?!?

AND WHAT WAS IN THE BOX 😩

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it's just me. But I'd say there's a distinct difference between getting attacked and that overwhelming you to the point of becoming heartless as a side effect

And what happens to Clayton, Gothel, Hans and Apprentice Xehanort.

There's a difference between getting thrown into the pool and jumping in yourself.
The attack didn't turn her into a heartless.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
This is another thing for me. Didn't we just stop it this time? What is there to stop it from happening differently when it happens again, when YX is a wrinkly old man again?

God I hate time travel plots.
When you beat YX, he basically goes back to the time he was pulled from and forgets that he was ever in the future. Time will continue to play out, he'll eventually become Master Xehanort, find Ventus, and everything will play out as it has. His young self never has the opportunity to remember his older self's mistakes once he's sent back.