• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm saying there was no reason for the plot twist because without it you don't need DiZ as a character.

And I think we've got the perfect summation of Nomura's writing style.

I remember thinking it would be really cool if DiZ turned out to be a reformed Ansem (the character as shown in KH1 where he was the fallen king of Hollow Bastion), having "seen the light" and now trying to undo his mistakes.
They even had a clear setup for this exact kind of plot with the nobodies. Just have DiZ turn out to be Ansem's nobody trying to undo the mistakes caused by his human and heartless selves. You can still have the main villain be the nobody of Ansem's former apprentice. This would be much less convoluted and a lot less stupid and it wouldn't even affect any of the major story points in KH2.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Sooo no one likes Xehanort do they?

He's entertaining, creepy, and interesting, which makes him likable for me. I remember first seeing the secret ending of KH2FM and thinking damn this old man is wrecking these fools.

And he's voiced by Leonard freaking Nimoy (or was). Sure his plan is convoluted, but that's nothing new for KH and it actually ends up working. He creates the X-Blade and summons Kingdom Hearts. Oh, and he called Kairi motivation right before killing her (savage as fuck lol).

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I do feel that Nomura is trying to get away from the whole multiple versions of somebody approach which he did for the Xehanort saga. Otherwise he would've also given Replika Riku a happy ending, but it's just bittersweet.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I do feel that Nomura is trying to get away from the whole multiple versions of somebody approach which he did for the Xehanort saga. Otherwise he would've also given Replika Riku a happy ending, but it's just bittersweet.

I think there is some genuine trickery behind why they have masks. I feel they're going to be alternate versions of current characters. Nomura always puts something behind such things.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They even had a clear setup for this exact kind of plot with the nobodies. Just have DiZ turn out to be Ansem's nobody trying to undo the mistakes caused by his human and heartless selves. You can still have the main villain be the nobody of Ansem's former apprentice. This would be much less convoluted and a lot less stupid and it wouldn't even affect any of the major story points in KH2.

I may have kinda sorta possibly dreamt up an entire alternate version of KH2's main plot that excised the Nobodies, COM, and everything else in the series post-KH2.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
It was made clear early on that KH3 was meant to wrap up the entire Xehanort arc. That meant cleaning up all of the plot threads that were directly tied to it, of which there were a lot. It does set up KH4, but aside from Luxu, the black box, and the secret movie, the set-up for KH4 isn't nearly as interesting on its own to me as the culmination of the Xehanort arc. (And they were never going to end his arc in a 3DS game, anyway.)
Yeah but I still expected something big for the finale. Like even with Xehanort succeeding in creating the xblade and summoning Kingdom Hearts you still defeat him before he does anything with it.

MOTHGOD

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Buttfuck Nowhere
Wasnt there a scene that had Vexen Larxene and Luxord and they were told that Xehanort wanted them still because of their connection to the past?
Was that in reference to the fact that they were Old Organization or because they might have something to do with the Old Masters

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but I still expected something big for the finale. Like even with Xehanort succeeding in creating the xblade and summoning Kingdom Hearts you still defeat him before he does anything with it.

I feel the same way. Part of the reason I still haven't picked up KHIII was that all the spoilers and cutscenes I saw ended up selling the game as Just Another Kingdom Hearts that exists to set up the future titles, rather than being any kind of natural stopping point for the series the way KHII could have ended the whole story right there.

Wasnt there a scene that had Vexen Larxene and Luxord and they were told that Xehanort wanted them still because of their connection to the past?
Was that in reference to the fact that they were Old Organization or because they might have something to do with the Old Masters

From how I understand it, Demyx, Luxord, and Larxene are all connected to the Keyblade War. They'll probably show up in the mobile game.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
While this is true, his ultimate goal turned out to be using Kingdom Hearts to reset the universe, so actually doing anything with it probably wouldn't have been a good thing in any sense.

Oct 25, 2017
It was made clear early on that KH3 was meant to wrap up the entire Xehanort arc. That meant cleaning up all of the plot threads that were directly tied to it, of which there were a lot. It does set up KH4, but aside from Luxu, the black box, and the secret movie, the set-up for KH4 isn't nearly as interesting on its own to me as the culmination of the Xehanort arc. (And they were never going to end his arc in a 3DS game, anyway.)

I felt they wasted too much time on the stuff setting up the series beyond KH3 and didn't really stick the landing on a lot of the Xehanort stuff. It's like Nomura and co had spent so long making KH games that mostly had to tread water before dropping something in at the last moment that matters to the overall plot that they forgot how to pace out a story. So you get the majority of the game going through the Disney world where the full story moves at a snails pace of people talking around things and nothing much happening, and then everything gets crammed into the last world(s) in such a rushed manner.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I may have kinda sorta possibly dreamt up an entire alternate version of KH2's main plot that excised the Nobodies, COM, and everything else in the series post-KH2.
I have a theory: everything post-KH1 is not actually set in the same universe as KH1. Rather, it's set in a bizarre alternate reality version of KH1 that we never played but presumably exists in Nomura's mind.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I feel the same way. Part of the reason I still haven't picked up KHIII was that all the spoilers and cutscenes I saw ended up selling the game as Just Another Kingdom Hearts that exists to set up the future titles, rather than being any kind of natural stopping point for the series the way KHII could have ended the whole story right there.

Just pretend the secret movie, epilogue and the last 5 seconds of the ending never happened, and the game pretty much has a complete arc.

The big bad who orchestrated the main conflicts that caused the suffering for several different group of characters was defeated, and the friends who were torn apart as a result of the machinations were reunited at the end with everyone happy

Except Isa but he found new friends at the ending anyway. =P

Honestly, while the main experience of KH3 is very overt is saying that this is nowhere near the end of the series, in terms of major plot points that fans were invested in since Birth by Sleep, all of that was closed up.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just got this idea from a livestream of someone beating KH3 today, but....

Could the Master of Masters be a master of Game Masters?

As in, could MoM have kickstarted the entire KH universe as we know it because he's a TWEWY angel Producer?

Did someone tell Nomura to make a Nomura-verse of his games, or did he decide that himself???

Most importantly, WILL THE BOUNCER BE INVOLVED

I'm only half serious, and am certain someone has already said this

HiroTSK5

One Winged Slayer
Nov 4, 2017

From how I understand it, Demyx, Luxord, and Larxene are all connected to the Keyblade War. They'll probably show up in the mobile game.

Elrena already is.
Elrena_KHUX.png

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I felt they wasted too much time on the stuff setting up the series beyond KH3 and didn't really stick the landing on a lot of the Xehanort stuff. It's like Nomura and co had spent so long making KH games that mostly had to tread water before dropping something in at the last moment that matters to the overall plot that they forgot how to pace out a story. So you get the majority of the game going through the Disney world where the full story moves at a snails pace of people talking around things and nothing much happening, and then everything gets crammed into the last world(s) in such a rushed manner.
I mean, they don't really spend all that much time setting up KH4.

Maleficent and Pete are in a scant few scenes where they're looking for the black box to no avail, but are otherwise completely uninvolved in the main story. Xigbar has a cut-off line that foreshadows his reveal as Luxu. And then there's the epilogue with the Foretellers and the box, and then the secret movie in Shibuya.

Unless there's something I'm forgetting, there's really nothing else that's explicitly set-up for the next game. Everything else is related to the various plot threads tying up all of the loose ends regarding Xehanort and the characters relevant to the current arc. The Disney worlds more or less serve as settings to reintroduce all of the villains from the past games as they gather the thirteen darknesses.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
The Disney worlds were at least somewhat related to what the Organization was up to, so seeing a bunch of black coats popping up all over the place at least kept it from feeling like two separate stories playing out all the time. I think the big difference was that we're missing the setup in the second act that they usually have, where we return to the whatever the OG character world and watch the gears start turning for the baddies. Instead they used all that time to set up some cryptic nonsense about Keyblade Legacies that haven't paid off, and Sora keeps going on his merry way for the power of waking.

HiroTSK5

One Winged Slayer
Nov 4, 2017
I mean, they don't really spend all that much time setting up KH4.

Maleficent and Pete are in a scant few scenes where they're looking for the black box to no avail, but are otherwise completely uninvolved in the main story. Xigbar has a cut-off line that foreshadows his reveal as Luxu. And then there's the epilogue with the Foretellers and the box, and then the secret movie in Shibuya.

Unless there's something I'm forgetting, there's really nothing else that's explicitly set-up for the next game. Everything else is related to the various plot threads tying up all of the loose ends regarding Xehanort and the characters relevant to the current arc. The Disney worlds more or less serve as settings to reintroduce all of the villains from the past games as they gather the thirteen darknesses.

Don't forget about everything related to Lea and Isa talking about "Her"

edit: What's the general consensus on who she is 'cause my money's on Skuld.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.

Bet even Nomura had enough with the Xehanort Saga, it is normal for the writer to get bored.

I got bored with Xehanort myself. Also seemingly the theme of having nobodies and stuff will probably rest for a while, after the introduction of The Final World and death. Union X plot is the most interesting KH has ever been

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I just got this idea from a livestream of someone beating KH3 today, but....

Could the Master of Masters be a master of Game Masters?

As in, could MoM have kickstarted the entire KH universe as we know it because he's a TWEWY angel Producer?

Did someone tell Nomura to make a Nomura-verse of his games, or did he decide that himself???

Most importantly, WILL THE BOUNCER BE INVOLVED

I'm only half serious, and am certain someone has already said this
I actually really want Sora and Sion to meet up, just for the WTF value.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
Don't forget about everything related to Lea and Isa talking about "Her"

edit: What's the general consensus on who she is 'cause my money's on Skuld.

Yup thinking Skuld too, Lea and Isa and Skull make a nice trio.

She probably came in to this world the same way Ventus did, but Ventus landed with Master Xehanort while Skuld landed.. in Radiant Garden?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I wish it could just be a new character. Have new people and new personalities be introduced in future games instead of forcing people to suffer through that insipid, grindy, cash-grabby mess of a mobile game.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I wish it could just be a new character. Have new people and new personalities be introduced in future games instead of forcing people to suffer through that insipid, grindy, cash-grabby mess of a mobile game.

Here's the thing though.

The suffering that (presumably) Skuld/X and Ava might've went through... are not events that would be covered in Ux anyway, since Ux is about the Keyblade War and based off the secret reports and conversations had, there was another whole arc of their lives that happened after Ux.

It's kinda like how Ventus being a Dandellion isn't really relevant to his arc in the main KH games. His story is the story of his suffering during the main timeline and not the uX timeline.

Once Skuld and Ava are introduced within the main KH games, I expect that their core arc will not be about the distant past's story arc but rather what's happened to them in the main timeline that caused her to vanish/etc.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the thing though.

The suffering that (presumably) Skuld/X and Ava might've went through... are not events that would be covered in Ux anyway, since Ux is about the Keyblade War and based off the secret reports and conversations had, there was another whole arc of their lives that happened after Ux.

It's kinda like how Ventus being a Dandellion isn't really relevant to his arc in the main KH games. His story is the story of his suffering during the main timeline and not the uX timeline.

Once Skuld and Ava are introduced within the main KH games, I expect that their core arc will not be about the distant past's story arc but rather what's happened to them in the main timeline that caused her to vanish/etc.

I just don't want any more games set before/built to recontextualize events in the current trilogy. I'm tired of prequels and I'm sick to death of retcons. Nomura's so far up his own ass he's boomeranged out his mouth and BACK into his ass and the Ouroboros needs to be stopped.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder about some things now. In the ending seeing Hayner, Pence and Ollette in Destiny Islands pretty much means that they now of other worlds so you think that they may end up Keyblade wielders one day or at the very least be some sort of fighters in the cause ala Donald and Goofy? On that note Isa better still be wielding that fucking axe

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thank god atleast they hand out so many free medals (the ingame currency) that you can actually get through the main story easily and one hit ko everything lol.

But yeah it still sucks if the new saga story is mostly tied to mobile for now it makes no sense. And worse is the first version on pc is even discontinued and never released world wide. So people either have to watch back cover or youtube summaries.

Honestly it baffles me that they put a whole prequel story on mobile and a browser game.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder about some things now. In the ending seeing Hayner, Pence and Ollette in Destiny Islands pretty much means that they now of other worlds so you think that they may end up Keyblade wielders one day or at the very least be some sort of fighters in the cause ala Donald and Goofy? On that note Isa better still be wielding that fucking axe
I actually kind of hope that's the case? I was always a fan of those three and was happy to see them do more in KH3 (their bamboozling ASOD to save Ansem is hilarious). There's a lot of story potential for them.

HiroTSK5

One Winged Slayer
Nov 4, 2017

I imagine Riku just picked them up in the Gummi ship with Namine, and after KHII with Kairi and Axel showing up out of nowhere and everything to do with Roxas and the Data Twilight Town I can't imagine other worlds being too much of a shock to them

Zimmy64

Oct 29, 2017
Atlanta, Georgia

I really can't see any future where Isa isn't wielding a Keyblade particularly if subject X is Skuld.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I imagine Riku just picked them up in the Gummi ship with Namine, and after KHII with Kairi and Axel showing up out of nowhere and everything to do with Roxas and the Data Twilight Town I can't imagine other worlds being too much of a shock to them
*Donald Duck voice*: "BUT THE ORDER!"

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Nobody's gotten as dunked on by their author as kairi.
Ehh...this is a much more obscure example, but the worst case of female dunking I've ever seen is probably Kiya from MediEvil 2. She's the only female character in the game, she's introduced solely to be a love interest for the protagonist, she speaks a total of seven sentences in the entire game, and the one single instance where she tries to help ends like this:
medi2-09-1-e1509376004511.png

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Question

Is this like the first time we saw riku opperate a gummi ship or am I forgetting a thing

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
A funny idea would be for HPO to go off on an adventure and become Keyblade wielders, and then come back to Twilight Town where they meet Seifer's gang after they return from their "warrior's journey" mentioned by KH3 NPCs.

Seifer: "Hey, chicken wuss. Where you been?"
Hayner: *Summons Keyblade* "Oh, here and there."
Seifer: "What the what?!"

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ok So i'm not nuts

So it seemed before this, riku would just show up at worlds ... through various means.

Maybe he just had the extra gummi ship, i mean he is the kings homie. He problably got the got the good gummi ship

Before the end of KH2, he could use dark portals.

KH3 is the only time he would need to use it and he was always teamed with Mickey who probably had his own