• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Providing a reason why they couldn't save Aqua and had to leave the dark world.
But they could have just done that in one trip.

Hold off on them arriving at the beach until later in the game, they lose their keyblades, Sora appears to save them.

It's not like them wandering around Radiant Garden was significant to the plot.

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
But they could have just done that in one trip.

Hold off on them arriving at the beach until later in the game, they lose their keyblades, Sora appears to save them.

It's not like them wandering around Radiant Garden was significant to the plot.

Needed an easy way to make it look like those characters were actually busy.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The idea was present since BBS/2. Aqua never got her original Keyblade back. You even see that Xemnas still has her Keyblade in the Chamber of Repose and in BBS, Aqua can only use Eraqus' Keyblade in the Final epiosde.
As far as that goes, because Master Eraqus died and essentially bequeathed his Keyblade unto Aqua, I assumed that it basically was just her's from that point forward. It still kinda-sorta recognizing Eraqus as its true master and therefore not really being Aqua's or whatever or because Aqua has her own Keyblade Eraqus giving her his as well basically not mattering just leaves me with huge question marks. Basically, I figured that both her own Keyblade and Eraqus's were hers through and through at that point, but that kinda stuff and how it does or doesn't work just is left very unclear, at least to me.

Though, since we're on the subject of Keyblades and how they work here, something else that bothers me regarding that is what exactly happened in KH1 between Sora and Riku and the Keyblade there. I get the idea is that the Keyblade is Riku's to begin with, and the only reason Sora was able to use it to begin with was because of Riku falling to darkness or whatever, right? But when Riku takes it back, his heart is definitely still consumed by darkness. It's only after Sora defeats him that he starts to get control again. So what exactly was the deal there? How did Sora wield Riku's Keyblade to begin with? Why does it go back to Riku at the start of Hollow Bastion? And how does Sora reclaim it again at the start of the first Riku fight, and then it's pretty much dropped entirely at that point and treated as Sora's Keyblade for the rest of the series forward, even after Riku defeats the darkness in his heart and awakens to Way to the Dawn instead? Why does Sora just permanently keep it at that point? The whole thing is a mess to me and I struggle to get actually happened in those sequences and how that actually messes with the lore at all, beyond just having an excuse to have Sora without a Keyblade at all and hanging out with Beast for a bit instead, considering how KH1 barely treats it as anything more and drops it as fast as that's not needed anymore and never says anything on the matter again.

The KH1 explanation of the Keyblade going to whoever has the stronger heart and it bouncing between Riku and Sora as a result made more sense at the time than the retcon of no, no, no, it was Riku's Keyblade all along that was awakened in him when Terra briefly went to the Destiny Islands and met him or whatever and just makes everything so much messier for the sake of trying to establish some type of continuity between games that doesn't end up making any sense anyway.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As far as that goes, because Master Eraqus died and essentially bequeathed his Keyblade unto Aqua, I assumed that it basically was just her's from that point forward. It still kinda-sorta recognizing Eraqus as its true master and therefore not really being Aqua's or whatever or because Aqua has her own Keyblade Eraqus giving her his as well basically not mattering just leaves me with huge question marks. Basically, I figured that both her own Keyblade and Eraqus's were hers through and through at that point, but that kinda stuff and how it does or doesn't work just is left very unclear, at least to me.

Though, since we're on the subject of Keyblades and how they work here, something else that bothers me regarding that is what exactly happened in KH1 between Sora and Riku and the Keyblade there. I get the idea is that the Keyblade is Riku's to begin with, and the only reason Sora was able to use it to begin with was because of Riku falling to darkness or whatever, right? But when Riku takes it back, his heart is definitely still consumed by darkness. It's only after Sora defeats him that he starts to get control again. So what exactly was the deal there? How did Sora wield Riku's Keyblade to begin with? Why does it go back to Riku at the start of Hollow Bastion? And how does Sora reclaim it again at the start of the first Riku fight, and then it's pretty much dropped entirely at that point and treated as Sora's Keyblade for the rest of the series forward, even after Riku defeats the darkness in his heart and awakens to Way to the Dawn instead? Why does Sora just permanently keep it at that point? The whole thing is a mess to me and I struggle to get actually happened in those sequences and how that actually messes with the lore at all, beyond just having an excuse to have Sora without a Keyblade at all and hanging out with Beast for a bit instead, considering how KH1 barely treats it as anything more and drops it as fast as that's not needed anymore and never says anything on the matter again.

The KH1 explanation of the Keyblade going to whoever has the stronger heart and it bouncing between Riku and Sora as a result made more sense at the time than the retcon of no, no, no, it was Riku's Keyblade all along that was awakened in him when Terra briefly went to the Destiny Islands and met him or whatever and just makes everything so much messier for the sake of trying to establish some type of continuity between games that doesn't end up making any sense anyway.

At the time of KH1 the idea was that Riku wasn't just a Keyblade wielder, but THE Keyblade wielder and the Chosen Hero who would save the worlds. It's all part of Sora's character growth, having the Keyblade taken from him and proving that his friends were his real power, and ultimately earning the right to wield it over its actual chosen wielder.

As for why Sora got it, it's because he was there when Riku fell to darkness as he was about to receive the Keyblade, so it fell to Sora instead basically by accident. Basically he pulled a Kyle Rayner Green Lantern.

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why did Riku's keyblade break?

No seriously. what purpose did that actually serve?
Speaking of which, there's actually a loose plot-thread there, that usually isn't brought up when people make the list of remaining plot threads in KH3 like Luxord's wildcard and who Mystery Girl X is, etc, etc, etc.

When Way to the Dawn breaks, Riku says he's leaving it in the Realm of Darkness so that maybe someone else can get use out of it (despite it being broken? If someone else can use it, why can't he keep using it...? That itself is a question, but anyway), perhaps his "other self." At the time, when the scene happened, I was assuming that to have something to do with Replica Riku who apparently was somehow coexisting with Riku in his heart all this time ever since Chain of Memories, and they were going to do something with that, but during Riku's fight at the Keyblade graveyard, everything involving Replica Riku appears to resolve itself in a completely different way.

So, what exactly was the point of that scene? Why was that there, when things went very differently in the end? What exactly did Riku mean about leaving it there for his other self to use (why would his other self even be in the Realm of Darkness even if he could use it) and just what was the point of that? That whole scene and sequence of events is pretty weird and is one of those things that's just completely dropped and not referenced again, beyond as an excuse for Riku to start using Braveheart instead I guess.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Speaking of which, there's actually a loose plot-thread there, that usually isn't brought up when people make the list of remaining plot threads in KH3 like Luxord's wildcard and who Mystery Girl X is, etc, etc, etc.

When Way to the Dawn breaks, Riku says he's leaving it in the Realm of Darkness so that maybe someone else can get use out of it (despite it being broken? If someone else can use it, why can't he keep using it...? That itself is a question, but anyway), perhaps his "other self." At the time, when the scene happened, I was assuming that to have something to do with Replica Riku who apparently was somehow coexisting with Riku in his heart all this time ever since Chain of Memories, and they were going to do something with that, but during Riku's fight at the Keyblade graveyard, everything involving Replica Riku appears to resolve itself in a completely different way.

So, what exactly was the point of that scene? Why was that there, when things went very differently in the end? What exactly did Riku mean about leaving it there for his other self to use (why would his other self even be in the Realm of Darkness even if he could use it) and just what was the point of that? That whole scene and sequence of events is pretty weird and is one of those things that's just completely dropped and not referenced again, beyond as an excuse for Riku to start using Braveheart instead I guess.

Riku was saved by Repliku when he got sucked in by the tornado heartless and at that point he thought maybe Repliku was somewhere there but later he realised he was inside him

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At the time of KH1 the idea was that Riku wasn't just a Keyblade wielder, but THE Keyblade wielder and the Chosen Hero who would save the worlds. It's all part of Sora's character growth, having the Keyblade taken from him and proving that his friends were his real power, and ultimately earning the right to wield it over its actual chosen wielder.

As for why Sora got it, it's because he was there when Riku fell to darkness as he was about to receive the Keyblade, so it fell to Sora instead basically by accident. Basically he pulled a Kyle Rayner Green Lantern.
But see, that's one of the thing that confuses me in KH1. Because how'd Riku ever take it back at all in that case? Especially since when he takes it from Riku, Riku is still definitely consumed by the darkness at that point. So does being under the influence of darkness matter, or doesn't it? Like, if it's just because Riku left the Destiny Islands early and Sora stuck it out just a bit longer than he did, how'd Riku steal it at all at Hollow Bastion considering it shouldn't have been his to steal. Too little, too late. It's Sora's now. Except apparently not, because it did recognize Riku as its true master and went to him despite him being under the influence of Maleficent/Ansem at Hollow Bastion... Until it didn't and went back to Sora because suddenly darkness apparently does matter and "the power of friendship" just trumps Keyblade ownership or something? It's all just very messy and it really doesn't make any sense at all beyond just having an excuse to mess with Sora in Hollow Bastion, especially since that's never brought up again in Chain of Memories/KHII/KH DDD or anything when by those same rules, with Riku being the true wielder and not consumed by darkness and understanding the power of friends and stuff himself now, it should once again be his somewhere in there, but nope, just completely dropped and is permanently Sora's once the first Hollow Bastion Riku fight starts. No consistent rules. Just a mess.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But see, that's one of the thing that confuses me in KH1. Because how'd Riku ever take it back at all in that case? Especially since when he takes it from Riku, Riku is still definitely consumed by the darkness at that point. So does being under the influence of darkness matter, or doesn't it? Like, if it's just because Riku left the Destiny Islands early and Sora stuck it out just a bit longer than he did, how'd Riku steal it at all at Hollow Bastion considering it shouldn't have been his to steal. Too little, too late. It's Sora's now. Except apparently not, because it did recognize Riku as its true master and went to him despite him being under the influence of Maleficent/Ansem at Hollow Bastion... Until it didn't and went back to Sora because suddenly darkness apparently does matter and "the power of friendship" just trumps Keyblade ownership or something? It's all just very messy and it really doesn't make any sense at all beyond just having an excuse to mess with Sora in Hollow Bastion, especially since that's never brought up again in Chain of Memories/KHII/KH DDD or anything when by those same rules, with Riku being the true wielder and not consumed by darkness and understanding the power of friends and stuff himself now, it should once again be his somewhere in there, but nope, just completely dropped and is permanently Sora's once the first Hollow Bastion Riku fight starts. No consistent rules. Just a mess.

It was more fantastical at the time with no real hardline rules, mattering more how it meant for Sora as a character than it did it making sense in the lore. Riku takes the Keyblade back because it's his by being the chosen one, and Sora earns it back in return because the crux of his development in that game was learning and imparting a lesson about friendship. Simple Disney x Shonen anime stuff.

And the Keyblade is inferred to have a measure of sentience in KHI and II so you could just explain it as the Keyblade choosing Sora over Riku.

clockstrikes

Oct 27, 2017

Keyblades don't care whether its wielder is aligned with darkness or light. The only thing that matters is that the heart is strong.

Sora proved to the Keyblade that his heart is stronger than Riku's in Hollow Bastion, and it chose Sora over its intended wielder. But until that moment, it still fully belonged to Riku. That's why he was able to swipe it out of Sora's hands so easily in Traverse Town.

It's really not messy at all.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Retcon no Jutsu.

See also: if defeating nobodies and their associated heartless "recompletes" a person, why would Org XIII send nobodies against Sora, when they're trying to collect the hearts he releases from defeating heartless? (Also, how convenient that Ienzo, Aeleus and Even aren't recompleted in the year between CoM and KH2!)

I imagine that the dead Organization members from Castle Oblivion had their hearts consumed by Xemnas' fake Kingdom Hearts and it's only when Ansem blew it up that they got released.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Rewatched Frozen to remind myself how badly they screwed it up (thanks Disney, I guess?).

Seeing Anna smack Hans at the end is such a contrast to Xehanort fridging Kairi it's almost hilarious.

DawnChocobo

Jan 14, 2019
I personally like Riku's Braveheart keyblade. I also really like his new look but the reason for his new haircut was really lame...

Speaking of Masters, I'm kinda disappointed that Sora wasn't granted the rank of Master despite being way more competent than the 3 "Masters".

MOTHGOD

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Buttfuck Nowhere
Who was the 3rd heart inside Sora? Was it Xion? Because if not then that was a plot point that was dropped HARD
And Im assuming Roxas showed up during the fight just in time because Ansem the Wise used the empty replica to put his heart in it or was that Xion and if it was Roxas how did they get his heart out of Sora? And didn't they only snag one extra replica body or did Vexen make them a new one when he showed up in Twilight Town?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Who was the 3rd heart inside Sora? Was it Xion? Because if not then that was a plot point that was dropped HARD
And Im assuming Roxas showed up during the fight just in time because Ansem the Wise used the empty replica to put his heart in it or was that Xion and if it was Roxas how did they get his heart out of Sora? And didn't they only snag one extra replica body or did Vexen make them a new one when he showed up in Twilight Town?
It was Xion. No one realized it because no one could remember her.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I'm not a fan of Master Xehanort, but I will say that I was shocked that I didn't feel like his micro-redemption arc was entirely out-of-place. He lost, had his close friend come out and tell him to take it in the chin, and he accepts his loss.

I'm pretty glad for his arc to be over so that we can move onto Deadpool as the next villain.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You mean 'post-KH1 convolution'. Never forget the "Ansem wasn't actually Ansem", which also was the first real introduction to Xehanort.

I still don't get why Nomura thought this was a good idea. Did the Ansem fanbase revolt that he was portrayed as a villain or something?

It has no meaning or worth as an actual plot twist. It just... happens.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia

It's either Xion, or it's a plot point that will be addressed in future KH games. It won't be the only one.

Roxas was restored with the replica body that Demyx brought to Ienzo back at Hollow Bastion. As for how did that replica body fly over to Keyblade Graveyard, well - that's the rule of cool speak that's justified by 'connection with friends' ( the presence of Sora/Axel/Xion magnetised Roxas back or whatever )

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
I still don't get why Nomura thought this was a good idea. Did the Ansem fanbase revolt that he was portrayed as a villain or something?

It has no meaning or worth as an actual plot twist. It just... happens.
Nomura said a long time ago that he likes to throw in "unpredictable" twists to surprise the player.

The earliest trailers for KH2 featured this dude, being addressed as "Ansem".
r56ohx8wx8721.png

He looks just like KH1 Ansem in bandages, so he must have been revived, right?

Nomura: LOL FOOLED YOU!

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It's either Xion, or it's a plot point that will be addressed in future KH games. It won't be the only one.

Roxas was restored with the replica body that Demyx brought to Ienzo back at Hollow Bastion. As for how did that replica body fly over to Keyblade Graveyard, well - that's the rule of cool speak that's justified by 'connection with friends' ( the presence of Sora/Axel/Xion magnetised Roxas back or whatever )
I initially thought it was Xion but when was her heart released? Unless I'm forgetting a scene (or missed it entirely lol), Xion is just kinda there all of a sudden.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I hate that pretty much every twist was just setup for KH4.

The actual events were just what we already knew the game was about. Save Aqua, Ven and Terra, bring back Roxas, Namine and Xion, defeat Xehanort. It's just boring and predictable and I feel so underwhelmed.

It'd be a lot better if DDD didn't happen and we went straight into 3 with a lot more questions.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would imagine it was more for DiZ's motivation.

I'm saying there was no reason for the plot twist because without it you don't need DiZ as a character.

Nomura said a long time ago that he likes to throw in "unpredictable" twists to surprise the player.

The earliest trailers for KH2 featured this dude, being addressed as "Ansem".
r56ohx8wx8721.png

He looks just like KH1 Ansem in bandages, so he must have been revived, right?

Nomura: LOL FOOLED YOU!

And I think we've got the perfect summation of Nomura's writing style.

I remember thinking it would be really cool if DiZ turned out to be a reformed Ansem (the character as shown in KH1 where he was the fallen king of Hollow Bastion), having "seen the light" and now trying to undo his mistakes.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I initially thought it was Xion but when was her heart released? Unless I'm forgetting a scene (or missed it entirely lol), Xion is just kinda there all of a sudden.

Like I said, while the Xion assumption makes perfect sense given Ienzo's description of the 3 hearts inside Sora ( one old heart - Ventus and two more that are there around the same length of time - Roxas and ??? ), the game never explicitly showed a heart-release moment from Sora->Xion so I would not be surprised if Nomura pulls a swerve and said nah it wasn't Xion but someone else.

Or it could very well be that when Sora called out Xion's name for the first time, it resonates with Xion and her heart left Sora's body into her.

MOTHGOD

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Buttfuck Nowhere

Same here. Like even if the replica was used for her where did the extra come from that Roxas uses when the fight in the Keyblade Graveyard is going on. And wouldn't Sora have to use the power of awakening inside himself to get Roxas and/or Xion out? So even before the battle started they should have known they were there before hand instead of getting their asses handed to them no?

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Same here. Like even if the replica was used for her where did the extra come from that Roxas uses when the fight in the Keyblade Graveyard is going on. And wouldn't Sora have to use the power of awakening inside himself to get Roxas and/or Xion out? So even before the battle started they should have known they were there before hand instead of getting their asses handed to them no?

Roxas's heart isn't asleep unlike Ventus. Terra's heart also just left the Guardian and entered back his body after Sora's keyblade released the nort.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
So considering the scene with his Chirithi, Ventus definitely remembers UX right?

Oct 25, 2017
KH2 is what made the story complex. Even CoM was pretty simple.

I'd argue KH2 is actually the hardest to follow of all the games in general. Even DDD basically only has the time travel stuff.
I followed KH2 OK. It was decent at slowing things down for a bit and actually explaining things.

With DDD I literally gave up on trying to understand some finer points, which is rare for me.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I hate that pretty much every twist was just setup for KH4.

The actual events were just what we already knew the game was about. Save Aqua, Ven and Terra, bring back Roxas, Namine and Xion, defeat Xehanort. It's just boring and predictable and I feel so underwhelmed.

It'd be a lot better if DDD didn't happen and we went straight into 3 with a lot more questions.
It was made clear early on that KH3 was meant to wrap up the entire Xehanort arc. That meant cleaning up all of the plot threads that were directly tied to it, of which there were a lot. It does set up KH4, but aside from Luxu, the black box, and the secret movie, the set-up for KH4 isn't nearly as interesting on its own to me as the culmination of the Xehanort arc. (And they were never going to end his arc in a 3DS game, anyway.)