• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
So what in BBS implies that he isn't Luxu? I went back and watched the cutscenes, on youtube admittedly, and didn't see anything. Hell he barely shows up for more than seven minutes in cutscenes.

In that he allowed himself to be scarred and injured by Terra, I guess.

Personally I felt that BBS amplified Xigbar for me, because despite being a bumbling idiot he wasn't just some random hired goon but rather someone who actively worked with Xehanort and still continues so with knowledge of his further plans

ULTROS!

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is totally a foreshadowing (from KH3D):

fe333ad4571c9941aea39f3c40dcb7e053255ca0r1-1024-576v2_hq.jpg

uCFrKqJ.jpg

Last edited:

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
One thing I missed from KH2 was revisiting worlds a second time to deal with the Organization member there.

We got to fight them in a battle royale, but the game was severely lacking in good one on one fights with non-Disney characters.

Xigbar, Marluxia, YUNG X, Larxene, Vanitas, Luxord and Rikuplica all deserved their own fights. I guess Luxord kinda got his anyway.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I missed from KH2 was revisiting worlds a second time to deal with the Organization member there.

We got to fight them in a battle royale, but the game was severely lacking in good one on one fights with non-Disney characters.

Xigbar, Marluxia, YUNG X, Larxene, Vanitas, Luxord and Rikuplica all deserved their own fights. I guess Luxord kinda got his anyway.

Luxord and Saix got their own fights, weirdly. I fully expect to see Battlegates with each of the Org members on their own, though. Their movesets are too fleshed out to just be battle royale fodder.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
But obviously some things got cut. My theory is that Scala ad Caelum was originally planned as the first world we visit (Cable Town) and was never meant to be the final boss fight area. Honestly, it looks too ambitious and polished to be used only for just that one fight. There were playable areas and gameplay back in 2014. No way in hell they had the last world ready that early in development.

What 2014 footage shows Scala ad Caelum?

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
Honestly, at this point I figure the "traitor" is just all of them. Because all of them turned on each other like idiots. The MoM gaslit them all into thinking one of the others was a traitor and they all betrayed each other and killed all of their friends because of it.

That is what I used to think.. but here, MoM was so serious, his sentence seemed absolute in implying that there is indeed a traitor

Jan 25, 2019
I was also thinking about something at work today. Why the fuck didn't Roxas just tell Sora to go on. Like Roxas literally solo'd Saix in 358/2 like pretty handily. Hell that fight in itself tells you Roxas had it under control.

It's just funny that like, KH3 didn't even hide that fact, lmao. Not only did Roxas not take damage as a party member (or got the least), he did major bulk work.

But we all know it was to have the Soras join you, yaaay. Nothing more, nothing less. But if Roxas was gonna be that OP, might as well have made him playable in that part.

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Were Roxas and Namine reconstructed from the dataverse in the KH2 prologue if so does this mean there's a different set of Roxas/Namine as nobodies in Sora/Kairi still

Help

Deleted member 34881

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Man, I just got done watching a summary of Union X and all the other stuff. Its a lot to take in lol, so I don't know if I got this right but the dandelions left to an alternate world, but the worlds there are all data versions and one of the 5 new leaders are not supposed to be there right?

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.

Post launch battle gates or a Data room like KH2FM with individual boss fights would be bloody amazing. Plus it would let us hear individual boss themes!

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Man, I just got done watching a summary of Union X and all the other stuff. Its a lot to take in lol, so I don't know if I got this right but the dandelions left to an alternate world, but the worlds there are all data versions and one of the 5 new leaders are not supposed to be there right?

The Dandelions all went to the Realm of Sleep. The rest is mostly right.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I think Nomura lost his mind and actually made Verus XIII featuring Disney characters. You fight against 13 darkness so that's literal Versus 13, then Verum Rex, then secret ending. I don't know if he's salty his game got canceled, but i sure am salty he showed this much in KH3
All of this was decided waaaay before he was removed from FFXV. The 13 v 7 was in Dream Drop Distance and that was released in 2012, so the story was written even earlier and of course it's possible Nomura had the idea thought up even before that.

Just because this had a couple of short videos referencing FFXV/VsXIII doesn't mean everything is about that with Nomura. >_>

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I beat it yesterday, at 3 am lmao. It was mostly what I wanted but I have some questions/thoughts:

- Did Sora vanish at the end? While he and Kairi were sitting on the tree and she cried? I assume this has to with what young xehanort kept saying throughout the end about the power of waking?

- Are there secret reports to unlock? If so how?

- Where's the secret boss?

- Who's the girl in the Final World? I assume she's the same as the one Saix kept mentioning?

- How did Xion come back? Why was she with Xemnas? I was extremely confused by this.

- The secret ending... is nomura basically making versus 13 into KH? Nomura's revengeance?

- It was cool that Kairi was there, you even fight alongside her a bit. But all that buildup over the years for her and we barely got anything :/ the scenes she had with Sora were really sweet, but they didn't get a happy ending AGAIN

- Finally... WHAT'S IN THE BOOOOXXXX?!

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Cokesouls

- Sora presumably vanished. Or that he was never there on the tree ( but Kairi is and that vanishing Sora is a metaphor for his sacrifice ). Broadly speaking, since Namine is restored and all, the gist of it is that Sora managed to revive Kairi, by extension Namine as well - but lost himself in the process.

- Once you've finished the game, post-game unlocks Battlegates spread throughout the different worlds. Beat them to get the Secret Report.-

- Secret boss is at Keyblade Graveyard.

- Final World girl is unknown, but the popular theory is that she's Strelitzia who was killed in KH Ux, and isn't the girl Isa/Lea are searching for. ( that's another person )

- (Xion question) Replicas. And that her memory/will was repressed for the sake of being Xehanort's vessel until Sora rejiggered it back.

- Since Nomura is showing his revenge for Versus 13 in future KH games, maybe instead of Kairi we'll get Namine to be Stella's equivalent and be a badass Keyblade wielder while Kairi still waits for Sora. ( now that Kairi can wield a keyblade Namine surely can too! ) =P

- (Box) pls be excited for Kingdom Hearts 6.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I beat it yesterday, at 3 am lmao. It was mostly what I wanted but I have some questions/thoughts:

- Did Sora vanish at the end? While he and Kairi were sitting on the tree and she cried? I assume this has to with what young xehanort kept saying throughout the end about the power of waking?
Seems so. If that scene is what actually happens, it seems to imply that Sora managed to save Kairi but dies/is lost in the abyss in the process.

Are there secret reports to unlock? If so how?
yes. Defeat battle gates that appear in worlds after going through the game once and once you load your game prior to the last battle.

Where's the secret boss?
Graveyard battle gate

Who's the girl in the Final World? I assume she's the same as the one Saix kept mentioning?
Thinking on it more, they aren't the same person, possibly. The final world girl might be Strelitzia (girl who is killed by the traitor among new Dandelion union leaders in KHUX), mystery girl could be Ava

- How did Xion come back? Why was she with Xemnas? I was extremely confused by this.
They probably created a puppet much like Xion in Days who ended up becoming Xion again through some "hearts are connected yada yada yada" way.

The secret ending... is nomura basically making versus 13 into KH? Nomura's revengeance?
it's definitely an overt reference, but it's doubtful it's more than a single world and also a way to pay off the promise in DDD and also bring in the TWEWY gang again.

- Finally... WHAT'S IN THE BOOOOXXXX?!
We don't know specifically. I assume some hijink or another that allows them to bring back the Master of Masters.

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Thank you for those answers guys.
Overall I loved the game, my only gripes are:

- Game's too easy
- Kairi got shafted again, even if this is the game where she did the most. (I still love her, nomura just needs to let her become the badass she is, make her your stella!)
- Finally, not sure how I feel about Sora and Kairi getting seperated again. I'm obviously excited for what's next, but that part is getting a little old.

Regarding luxu/xigbar, I thought that was obvious from the end of olympus. Xigbar was always portrayed knowing more than he's letting on, so he was always either luxu or mom in my mind. I'm glad he'll be back, he's one of my favorite characters.

Not sure I'm a fan of all the setup for future games coming from the mobile game though :/
Hopefully they'll flesh out the characters more in the new games rather than in the mobile game. I'm playing it, but man there's like 500 missions? I'm on 15 and not really excited to play more :(

Overall I'm more than happy with this game! I really expected it to not live up to expectations, but it mostly delivered for me! It's hard to top 2 anyway, a lot of nostalgia behind it.

What's the consensus among fans? Are people happy about the game?

Last edited:

kst1991

Feb 21, 2018
I know this is not going to be popular, but I would like Kairi as the protagonist in the next KH, looking for Sora with Donald and Goofy. It would be a cool twist and could redeem the character development.

I don't think it's going to happen, but I would like it. Anyway, I think Sora shouldn't be the protagonist of the next KH, knowing his current situation (well, we don't know exactly where he is, but we know he is lost or "death")

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
Thank you for those answers guys.
Overall I loved the game, my only gripes are:

- Game's too easy
- Kairi got shafted again, even if this is the game where she did the most. (I still love her, nomura just needs to let her become the badass she is, make her your stella!)
- Finally, not sure how I feel about Sora and Kairi getting seperated again. I'm obviously excited for what's next, but that part is getting a little old.

Overall I'm more than happy with this game! I really expected it to not live up to expectations, but it mostly delivered for me! It's hard to top 2 anyway, a lot of nostalgia behind it.

What's the consensus among fans? Are people happy about the game?
Heh your 2 gripes are the 2 things most people complain about, even fans who loved the game like me xD.

Feelings about the story are pretty mixed right now among the community.
Personally I hated how Kairi was handled in the game but liked everything else, even the ending.
There are also scenes that could have been handled better like the whole first sequence in the Keyblade Graveyard but...oh well

Last edited:

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I know this is not going to be popular, but I would like Kairi as the protagonist in the next KH, looking for Sora with Donald and Goofy. It would be a cool twist and could redeem the character development.

I don't think it's going to happen, but I would like it. Anyway, I think Sora shouldn't be the protagonist of the next KH, knowing his current situation (well, we don't know exactly where he is, but we know he is lost or "death")
I think most fans would love to play as kairi for like half the game. We'll see how the future goes, but I kinda hope they change the formula of the games in a drastic way. Make it really different.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
After KHIII, KHIV definitely needs to have at least a KHII Roxas prologue length intro where we play as Kairi through a lengthy scenario to payoff the whole "I'm done being protected by you, I'm gonna protect your from now on instead" drivel that was so insultingly handled by the end of III and Kairi being damseled & fridged

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. I can buy it if he was taken over by Luxu after the original Organization fell. But I cannot buy that bumbling idiot Braig as anything other than what he is in Birth by Sleep.
Well i mean he was, and is he literally pretending to be a fool....like has has in every game. Hes one of the few characters that nomura actually seems to always have planned out.

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would be nice if the expansion have you play as Kairi in some parts, but seeing as how they love to pigeonhole the girl I doubt it. She needs a huge redemption arc.

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Heh your 2 gripes are the 2 things most people complain about, even fans who loved the game like me xD.

Feelings about the story are pretty mixed right now among the community.
Personally I hated how Kairi wa handled in the game but liked everything else, even the ending.
There are also that could have been handled better like the whole first sequence in the Keyblade Graveyard but...oh well
Yeah I really don't understand what the deal is with female protagonists by Square. They make them so likeable as characters, but then never treat them right. It sucks lol.

DarKaoZ

Oct 25, 2017
I been watching Overflow Timeline series, I'm in the ending of BBS...

Holy damn, forgot how good this game is in every aspect. Story, gameplay and characters. What makes me realize is that I kinda wanted for KH3 to be a BBS but with Kairi, Riku and Sora. Maybe Kairi and Axel visiting some worlds, Riku and Mickey others and of course Sora/Donald/Goofy in another.

Then each one saves someone and then final battle.

Damn it... I shouldn't had rewatched BBS!... Now I feel a bit dissapointed with KH3...

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad I went in with low expectations. I'm surprised so many people seem dissapointed.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
There's a ton of stuff to nitpick about KH3.

- Poor pacing where 80% of the story is in the last 20% of the game ( all KH games are like this, but KH3 is worse due to the lack of a middle arc )
- Wasted narrative beats with Org13 even during the Disney segments ( we knew that the New 7 Princesses of Lights weren't gonna have a role in this, but I guess the game needed to justify why Org13 were messing around in new worlds instead of preparing for KBW )
- Even more wasted narrative beats used to set-up sequel ( The scenes where Axel/Ansem/etc were talking about Mystery Girl/Box were not insignificant at all )
- Kairi's fridging
- Everyone's else's meh presence and ownership of presence within the story of KH3 ( Let's be real, other than Sora, Eraqus, Terra, Replika Riku and Roxas ( and Namine even?) , I'd go so far to say that everyone didn't necessarily have a satisfying moment of their own )

And then there's the usual bad writing, dialogues, plodding pace of how people speak, how some things are not clear in their purpose ( details on how power of waking works, impact towards Sora, etc etc ), which again, is typical for all KH games.

... BUT.

In terms of an overall experience? Other than Kairi ( whom even then I'm not all that salty about because I still loved her romantic moments with Sora and the part where she saved him during the Final World/Waking the Dead phase ), I was sufficiently satisfied enough with how everything turned out. The friends who suffered for so long reunited, the bad guys were defeated and by and large every main moment was earned, even if most of the moments were only 7 or 8 out of 10 in terms of effectiveness due to how rushed some moments were or didn't have the same level of potential impact had ( Aqua been playable, Riku having a explorable world to himself, Kairi and Sora were the ones in FW, etc etc )

Loved loved loved KH3 so much and I've never been more excited for the next KH game. ( yes, I'm more excited for KH4 than I am for KH3 )

My short summary of KH3 is this: "It's not everything it could've been and should've been, but it's everything it needed to be. And that is all it needs."

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

- Poor pacing where 80% of the story is in the last 20% of the game ( all KH games are like this, but KH3 is worse due to the lack of a middle arc )
- Wasted narrative beats with Org13 even during the Disney segments ( we knew that the New 7 Princesses of Lights weren't gonna have a role in this, but I guess the game needed to justify why Org13 were messing around in new worlds instead of preparing for KBW )
- Even more wasted narrative beats used to set-up sequel ( The scenes where Axel/Ansem/etc were talking about Mystery Girl/Box were not insignificant at all )
- Kairi's fridging
- Everyone's else's meh presence and ownership of presence within the story of KH3 ( Let's be real, other than Sora, Eraqus, Terra, Replika Riku and Roxas ( and Namine even?) , I'd go so far to say that everyone didn't necessarily have a satisfying moment of their own )

And then there's the usual bad writing, dialogues, plodding pace of how people speak, how some things are not clear in their purpose ( details on how power of waking works, impact towards Sora, etc etc ), which again, is typical for all KH games.

... BUT.

In terms of an overall experience? Other than Kairi ( whom even then I'm not all that salty about because I still loved her romantic moments with Sora and the part where she saved him during the Final World/Waking the Dead phase ), I was sufficiently satisfied enough with how everything turned out. The friends who suffered for so long reunited, the bad guys were defeated and by and large every main moment was earned, even if most of the moments were only 7 or 8 out of 10 in terms of effectiveness due to how rushed some moments were or didn't have the same level of potential impact had ( Aqua been playable, Riku having a explorable world to himself, Kairi and Sora were the ones in FW, etc etc )

Loved loved loved KH3 so much and I've never been more excited for the next KH game. ( yes, I'm more excited for KH4 than I am for KH3 )

My short summary of KH3 is this: "It's not everything it could've been and should've been, but it's everything it needed to be. And that is all it needs."
Absolutely nailed it.
The dialogue pacing in KH games is still the most hilarious thing to me. It's crazy how much pause there is sometimes.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Well i mean he was, and is he literally pretending to be a fool....like has has in every game. Hes one of the few characters that nomura actually seems to always have planned out.
Most characters have had their stories planned out for a long ass time (some have been in the planning stages since the first game/once Nomura started thinking of CoM & II, and those plans were pretty clearly solidified between the release of KHII and BBS). Just because you didn't like them or the explanations doesn't mean they weren't planned.

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm not disappointed at all - far from it. There's just a few sequences in the game that slightly holds it back from being the perfect KH sequel, but overall it's an amazing game, no doubt the best in the series. It just needs a few gameplay adjustments...

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
I'm glad I went in with low expectations. I'm surprised so many people seem dissapointed.
I mean...look at this youtuber.

He's so dissapointed that the game didn't meet his expectations that he cries thinking about it.
I think resetera has been a pretty good place to talk about the game and criticizing it without being hyperbole in both a positive or negative way.
Personally I think the KH community here is great, thanks guys xD.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century

- Kairi's fridging

... BUT.

Great post. My thoughts exactly.

The more I think about it, the more I love the game. Might be Game of the Generation for me, even.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
I read this a couple of days ago, dunno if you guys did

He knows it. The feeling that stays with me after every KH, it's addicting. But i wonder what his secret thoughts are.. VERSUS 13 related?

Oct 26, 2017
Most characters have had their stories planned out for a long ass time (some have been in the planning stages since the first game/once Nomura started thinking of CoM & II, and those plans were pretty clearly solidified between the release of KHII and BBS). Just because you didn't like them or the explanations doesn't mean they weren't planned.
lol i dont think i've seen anyone ever actually believe this.
Like have you seen how bad this game trys to retcon master yen sid saying "may the force be with you", come off it mate

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
about the new 7 Princesses of Lights, why this plot?

"Hmm we need to add Disney worlds and movie plots to the game but within the setup of KH3 the villains don't need to do any more shenanigans but only have to wait for the assembly of the 7 guardians of light so let's add a plot element where Org13 is also around different Disney worlds setting up a backup plan with 7 princesses in case the 7 guardians didn't assemble even though it will not pay off at all since it's clear that Aqua and Ventus will be saved and half the worlds in KH3 has no princesses so there won't be enough for 7 anyway"

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Snark aside, a new 7 princesses plot would be a decent non-Foreteller related plot for KH4 to revisit Frozen/Tangled world and introduce 3 new princess worlds.