• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rckstar

Oct 29, 2017
But a lot of those aren't good video game settings. The Good Dinosaur isn't a good setting because there's minimal narrative thrust and character interaction that works within an ARPG. Finding Nemo/Dory well, everybody hates water levels. You're left with very few pickings at the carcass for world variance at this point. Which is why it makes sense to just move along using original worlds to anchor the narrative and plot structure while keeping the Disney worlds as the primary "Wow" worlds to include. Because if you're going to continue with this franchise you need to keep Disney as the primary driving force but at a point you just kinda run out of Disney stuff to romp through.

I get it, people go "MAHVEL" and shit but that would make for a crappy level. They don't mesh well, there's no synchronicity between the properties. Kingdom Hearts was designed around the Disney ANIMATED features. It's why the Pirates worlds are bad. It's why them turning it from a one off cool collaboration/crossover into a franchise came with risks, that's the risk.

We just had a thread for new world ideas. Still alot Disney ground to cover before they run out. Not to mention revisiting old worlds.

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Or, the theory I posited earlier, that they're running out of the "good" Disney movies to make worlds out of so they're going to lean on alternative properties such as video games and original worlds to make up the difference.
That's a good point.

They've pretty much done all of the Disney Renaissance movies (Pocahontas isn't ever getting a world lol) and the 'big' classic movies (The early Princess movies, Peter Pan, Alice and Wonderland, etc). There are some early/mid 00s movies that would make good worlds like Treasure Planet or Princess and the Frog. Moana will definitely make it in and maybe even Zootopia but eventually the well is going to run dry even if they recycle worlds. Also I feel people are forgetting that while Disney has a lot of animated movies, not all of them would make good worlds for a video-game.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We just had a thread for new world ideas. Still alot Disney ground to cover before they run out. Not to mention revisiting old worlds.
Yeah and a lot of those suggestions just flat out aren't happening. Disney uses Kingdom Hearts as a marketing platorm as well as a license for merchandise. They aren't going to put stuff like Treasure Planet or stuff from the 90's cartoons in there. They could probably get 8 worlds, maybe even 10, in KH4 or whatever the next game is called. But then you're basically spent in terms of marquee films to give worlds too. They have to start being judicious with how they use the Disney properties because eventually you're going to run out. It's not just "insert famous Disney movie" it also has to work from a thematic and gameplay perspective. The Aristocats doesn't work from a gameplay perspective or a narrative one, for instance. The Rescuers is both too old and too niche, they don't even market it themselves why would it be licensed out for a high budget gaming property?

There's a lot of thought and approval processes that have to go into the selection process.

The Pharmercy

Oct 26, 2017
Regarding the regular Verum Rex teaser, not the secret ending - did anyone else think about that hilariously low rent FFXV mobile CG when not-Stella was bundled offscreen at the end?

KZMHDSY.gif

It did serve as a reminder that even if Nomura did get to realise his 'true vision' for Stella, she'd likely not be treated much better than Luna or Kairi despite all of the fan dreams from the first teaser.

Luna got fridged in v13 so...yeah.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
I guess they still have those Marvel and Star Wars aces if they ever run out of material.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to have to play other square games to understand a lot of this, aren't I?

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got to watch it. Sora is in TWEWY Shibuya and Riku is in Verum Rex, correct?

Hopefully this means we will see more SE worlds and original stuff because while I do like the Disney worlds I think Nomura can do more interesting stuff outside of that with non-Disney worlds. And I also hope we wont have to wait years for the next KH...

Feb 5, 2018
Starting to think, like TWEWY, Shibuya/Tokyo is a place for people who are dead. Sora is possibly dead, as is Yozora and possibly the MoM. Riku is there because he is Sora's dream eater, and the whole place is in Kingdom Hearts

Finally got to watch it. Sora is in TWEWY Shibuya and Riku is in Verum Rex, correct?

Hopefully this means we will see more SE worlds and original stuff because while I do like the Disney worlds I think Nomura can do more interesting stuff outside of that with non-Disney worlds. And I also hope we wont have to wait years for the next KH...

Its the same place

Last edited:

CrazyAznKT

Nov 8, 2017
Guys, Verum Rex = VR

The next game will be Kingdom Hearts VR.

Just kidding, that secret ending was awesome. The next game better have more real Final Fantasy characters though, not just the Verum Rex guys.

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
Kairi: Now it's my turn to fight for Sora/protect Sora.

Riku: Girl, I'm already killed myself to find him, catch up m8.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Just caught up with that secret movie.

I'd imagine if Square wanted to emphasise that Sora and Riku ended up in the real world, they'd actually attempt to get the rights for the actual Shibuya 109 instead of settling with TWEWY's 104. I like the theory that Square and Nomura are potentially leaning into video game properties too with a new installment.

Also damn, that leak Sora and Riku being transported to Shibuya was real, lmao. Seemed so wild at the time but it actually happened.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Are you sure? That Citadel-looking building is that something found in TWEWY or IRL Tokyo? Because I don't rememeber a building like that in TWEWY.
It's the Tokyo Metropolitan Government building fam. Located in Shinjuku.

tnyctpp-1.jpg

Also not surprised that the tower on the KH3 box art resembles the NTT Docomo Yoyogi building which is also located in Shinjuku.

DnWuXNVU8AENw5I.jpg

DnWt5HaVAAAbMBg.jpg

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's a good point.

They've pretty much done all of the Disney Renaissance movies (Pocahontas isn't ever getting a world lol) and the 'big' classic movies (The early Princess movies, Peter Pan, Alice and Wonderland, etc). There are some early/mid 00s movies that would make good worlds like Treasure Planet or Princess and the Frog. Moana will definitely make it in and maybe even Zootopia but eventually the well is going to run dry even if they recycle worlds. Also I feel people are forgetting that while Disney has a lot of animated movies, not all of them would make good worlds for a video-game.

Zootopia would be fun with goofy and Donald :D

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I can't believe how hard they leaned into the mobile entries for KH3, I have to imagine a huge percentage of players are confused as hell by a large part of the ending.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
this secret movie is so fucking wild and i love it

fully expecting the final mix dlc (?) to have another secret ending that'll leave us with more questions just like BBS

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Toy Story makes me realize it and Ralph can come exist in the same universe.

I wonder if all toys can jump into games or is that YXehanort's magic?

Slash12771

Jul 12, 2018
So Nomura is taking the Verum Rex thing seriously. I just thought it would be a cool little thing Visual works did to pass time or whatever. Like the character concept thing they did. This is interesting and I'm excited to see where it goes. We're going to have to wait a long time XD. Wonder how FF7 Remake is doing, excited to see how that is shaping up.

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just watched the secret ending online.

Man, if this is leaning into what I think it's leaning to, this is going to be very fascinating.

Sora, Riku and Yozora teaming up to go into even more varied worlds? Other video games for instance?

If they actually have them travel to somewhere like Spira, I'm gonna freak out.

But now I'm wondering why Riku is here, after Sora made it all clear in the end that he had to go at it alone.

I guess Riku just can't let anything happen to his...totally platonic good friend.

Also, I love how this makes the Toy Story world even more vital to the overall Kingdom Hearts lore and story.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Rewatching the secret video again, did Somnus play for a bit in the background? I'm not going mad am I?

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Rewatching the secret video again, did Somnus play for a bit in the background? I'm not going mad am I?
It isn't Somnus, but it sounds very similar. I think the first piano note at the end when the camera pans up from Riku is the same as the first note in Somnus.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
That was unexpected even for a secret ending. I don't know... maybe the MoM wants something from the world of Verum Rex, so he created it through the book of prophecies? Also, it's not like the entire next game has to take place in it. Might just be one world out of many just like before.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Finally entering this thread because I finished the game.
Before playing KH3, I thought I was going to be done with KH after 3 (in a sense that I won't be this hype/invested for the future)
But after watching the Epilogue/Secret Ending... boy was I wrong.
Nomura just won't let me go.