• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
I'm indecisive if Nero is just as strong as dmc1 or dmc4 Dante by the end of the game.
Dante and Vergil were weak and still Nero didn't do that much,he won by war of atrittion imho.
It actually feels like they were playing around tbh.
V: 'if i beat Nero then i beat you by default,do you accept?'.
D: 'Yeah,whatever..'
That feels like saiyans just fucking around or something,nothing serious.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
That's the render they use for his default outfit on the costume select screen.

Ah. I haven't bothered to go the costume select screen for Vergil because I haven't unlocked his blue outfit yet. Kind of disappointed his blue outfit wasn't his full on DMC3 outfit and is just a simple color swap instead. Maybe mods will give me that.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm indecisive if Nero is just as strong as dmc1 or dmc4 Dante by the end of the game.
Dante and Vergil were weak and still Nero didn't do that much,he won by war of atrittion imho.
It actually feels like they were playing around tbh.
V: 'if i beat Nero then i beat you by default,do you accept?'.
D: 'Yeah,whatever..'
That feels like saiyans just fucking around or something,nothing serious.

I think Vergil was both weakened from the fight and kind of humoring Nero. Obviously he wasn't completely holding back, but it feels to me like he doesn't really take the fight seriously until near the end when he goes full DT. If Vergil has the emotional capacity to fuck around, this is what it would look like.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
You know, on one hand, I can see what people are talking about when they say that DmC had the best level design in the series

On the other hand, I treat DmC's levels as pure filler on the 2nd+ playthroughs, so I can see where this game is coming from when it's just like "fuck it, ya'll ain't here for platforming"

I still do kinda wish that the levels looked better even if they were big mook arenas, which is probably the only knock I have against the game

I think Vergil was both weakened from the fight and kind of humoring Nero. Obviously he wasn't completely holding back, but it feels to me like he doesn't really take the fight seriously until near the end when he goes full DT. If Vergil has the emotional capacity to fuck around, this is what it would look like.

I treated it as yeah, neither Dante nor Vergil were going all out, but they were serious enough where they were like "okay, Nero can be a threat"

Especially when Dante got sucker punched and was like "you know what, fuck this, this isn't worth it" and sits out

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
We need a keybind thread for this game. I see too many people playing with the defaults and wondering why V's combat is boring. Rebind everything.
I stuck to defaults and was able to pull everything off no prob and with finesse. However I also grew up on Monster Hunter claw controls so I'm used to this sort of thing haha

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That ending was really bittersweet, though I have mixed feelings on the story as a whole.

It's pretty obvious at this point that Dante and Vergil ain't ever gonna "die", but I still feel like that was an excuse for them to end the series right here - and even if we get a DMC6, I think that was Dante's swan song, between him getting a whole host of missions in this game, as well as having by far his craziest combat mechanics yet. I can see them never bringing the twins out from the underworld.

Guess it's the Nero show from now on. To be honest I'm not sure how to feel about the story yet, what I kinda liked about DMC4's narrative was that it was essentially a new story, whereas DMC5 feels like a greatest hits of the series' most iconic moments. I guess they covered their bases to make sure fans get what they'd want in case there isn't a sequel (confirm Nero's heritage, bring back Vergil, etc) so in that sense it's good to have some closure after 10 years. But at the same time it's hard to really get a sense of where the franchise is going.

Anyway the game was a lot of fun but I'm still not jiving very hard with V's play style and I feel like they really conveniently unwrote him from the entire game, both in terms of having a story payoff as well as not really having much in the way of a final boss. It was pretty obvious that V was Vergil (figured it out pretty much the second I used his taunt), and for a while I had the impression that they were gonna go for the angle that V's personality itself was holding Vergil back, like an internal conflict kinda thing, possibly even having some story bearing on why he ended up having a kid. But nah - V just wants to get back to Urizen and then Vergil is back to being Vergil, and it's like DMC3 never ended. Even his relationship to Nero is treated as basically "yeah whatever that happened".

It's probably why the story is still a mixed bag for me. I'm not sure how worth it was to relitigate a lot of plot elements that didn't entirely need spelling out. The better story moments imo involved anytime Dante and Nero interacted. I guess only time will tell.

But as for everything else, the game play is obviously aces - Nero and Dante are the best they've ever been, though I think the endgame stretch is really haphazard at times. Some more unique environments in the latter half would've been welcome. Nonetheless I look forward to replaying the game, especially since Nero actually has his DT now.

GFP_RYU

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That ending was really bittersweet, though I have mixed feelings on the story as a whole.

It's pretty obvious at this point that Dante and Vergil ain't ever gonna "die", but I still feel like that was an excuse for them to end the series right here - and even if we get a DMC6, I think that was Dante's swan song, between him getting a whole host of missions in this game, as well as having by far his craziest combat mechanics yet. I can see them never bringing the twins out from the underworld.

Guess it's the Nero show from now on. To be honest I'm not sure how to feel about the story yet, what I kinda liked about DMC4's narrative was that it was essentially a new story, whereas DMC5 feels like a greatest hits of the series' most iconic moments. I guess they covered their bases to make sure fans get what they'd want in case there isn't a sequel (confirm Nero's heritage, bring back Vergil, etc) so in that sense it's good to have some closure after 10 years. But at the same time it's hard to really get a sense of where the franchise is going.

Anyway the game was a lot of fun but I'm still not jiving very hard with V's play style and I feel like they really conveniently unwrote him from the entire game, both in terms of having a story payoff as well as not really having much in the way of a final boss. It was pretty obvious that V was Vergil, and for a while I had the impression that they were gonna go for the angle that V's personality itself was holding Vergil back, like an internal conflict kinda thing, possibly even having some story bearing on why he ended up having a kid. But nah - V just wants to get back to Urizen and then Vergil is back to being Vergil, and it's like DMC3 never ended. Even his relationship to Nero is treated as basically "yeah whatever that happened".

It's probably why the story is still a mixed bag for me. I'm not sure how worth it was to relitigate a lot of plot elements that didn't entirely need spelling out. The better story moments imo involved anytime Dante and Nero interacted. I guess only time will tell.

But as for everything else, the game play is obviously aces - Nero and Dante are the best they've ever been, though I think the endgame stretch is really haphazard at times. Some more unique environments in the latter half would've been welcome. Nonetheless I look forward to replaying the game, especially since Nero actually has his DT now.

Hmmm, I wanted a DLC for both of these guys to come back to earth. It's possible due to Yamato.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Vergil is also a lot like Vegeta in that he remains intensely likable for no apparent reason despite being a mass murderer

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm, I wanted a DLC for both of these guys to come back to earth. It's possible due to Yamato.
I wouldn't mind this but narratively that seems like a hook you'd save for a whole game rather than additional content, and again I'm not entirely sure they're gonna do the same old song and dance for the next game if it's on the cards. DMC5 very much attempts to close the book on Dante and Vergil, so much so that if there is a DLC campaign that would only serve to undersell the emotional weight they tried to push with the ending. Presumably their planned DLC campaign will be focused on Trish and Lady as the ending set up a teaser for it and they already molded the characters in DMC4SE - though who knows, they could include a potential teaser for getting Dante and Vergil back out.

GFP_RYU

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't mind this but narratively that seems like a hook you'd save for a whole game rather than additional content, and again I'm not entirely sure they're gonna do the same old song and dance for the next game if it's on the cards. DMC5 very much attempts to close the book on Dante and Vergil, so much so that if there is a DLC campaign that would only serve to undersell the emotional weight they tried to push with the ending. Presumably their planned DLC campaign will be focused on Trish and Lady as the ending set up a teaser for it and they already molded the characters in DMC4SE - though who knows, they could include a potential teaser for getting Dante and Vergil back out.

Ohh I like that. Lady and Trish DLC. Well let's see what capcom has plans. I wanted Vergil and the female hunters DLC.

Jadusable

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vergil's characterization made no sense whatsoever in this game and he just gets away with killing thousands of people lol

I literally think I must have missed a cutscene because I really don't understand how Vergil is alive after DMC1 or why he's still hung up on the same stuff he was rebuked on in DMC3.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
0nTiFDj.gif

Heh, the 3 mil orbs taunt seems worth it for Nero.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
V -> Riding Nightmare -> Illegal Move
there's a typo in the movelist for nightmare or the input is bugged?
In the command list it says lock on + back to forward or Forward x 2
I can pull it off with forward to back, not back to forward
forward x2 works fine

Can someone check the inputs and that the movelist says the wrong input

Oct 26, 2017
Well, I just finished the game:

1. Easily the second worst Devil May Cry story, with only Devil May Cry 2 beating it out. Even when you lay out the story In your head in it's chronological order, it's still weak because it falls back on "sibling rivalry" or some crap for Vergil beginning this all. We needed to see more of Vergil prior to splitting himself in two, or some monologue after, where he sells this to me better. But, on the order thing...

2. Who the fuck decided to cut this shit into a million pieces and jump back-and-forth between past and present? What did it add? Absolutely nothing! You maybe do this to build mystery, but there was 0 mystery in this game. Which leads to...

3. Why why why have so many "mysteries" when you bludgeon the answer to every single one of them in our faces miles before we get to their conclusion?

4. And finally, why was the level design copy/paste those red things that you have to smash? Along with a pause every 2 seconds in order to show a cutscene barrier growing (which I could skip), to a slowmo kill on badguys, to cutscene showing the barrier now disappearing? It's like this game was doing it's best to make itself feel slow. Thankfully, it got a lot better when I realized you could just click start and skip past most of this crap.

I could go on and on, but at the end of the day I'm disappointed. This was Vergil's return, and the story was told in such a mishmash manner. By the end, I'm not disappointed the game is bad, because it isn't. Gameplay is amazing, and I had a blast once I got Dante into my sweet hands. What I'm disappointed in is how much better it could have been, and how close it was to that greatness.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Beat it. Phenomenal game, but Itsuno and Co. ain't shit if they don't follow this up with a Trish/Lady campaign and playable Vergil after that cocktease. Idgaf about these games' stories, but yes, 3 and 4 are better crafted in that department.

Also what is the secret post-credits ending? It's not the Jackpot scene is it?

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there an extra scene after credits you can't get unless you get complimented? Is it just the one where Dante says Jackpot? Someone help me out please

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm tempted to buy these taunts in an effort to improve my DMD ranks but I feel like they're way too long to actually be viable during combat.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean you're right but I have no issues getting S with V, Haha.

It's weird but any Mission that ends with a Urizen boss I can't S Rank. Besides the Brothers mission.
Those missions are honestly the easiest to get S for me. Maybe because Urizen is just a big ass target half the game where you can dodge most of the stuff (not all)

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I feel like her one phone call scene near the end of the game where she supports nero emotionally in his time of need is more than she ever did in her on screen appearances in 4 at least

It would be really awesome if they showed her face while she is talking to Nero.

Funny enough she's still likable despite being just a voice. It's really strange.

Haven't played the game but that's good to hear.

Buddha0991

Oct 25, 2017
It would be really awesome if they showed her face while she is talking to Nero.

Supposedly the process they do to make these character models is EXTREMELLY expensive and time consuming compared to previous games so I suppose thats why she didnt get a physical appearance in this one. This is also supposedly the reason we didnt get any kind of alternate outfits this time. That would have been a really cool thing to do I agree however.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Supposedly the process they do to make these character models is EXTREMELLY expensive and time consuming compared to previous games so I suppose thats why she didnt get a physical appearance in this one. This is also supposedly the reason we didnt get any kind of alternate outfits this time. That would have been a really cool thing to do I agree however.

That's unfortunate, as much as I appreciate the amazing visuals of DMC5 I can't help but feel like maybe these expensive graphic tech does have a side effect on game design.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
That's unfortunate, as much as I appreciate the amazing visuals of DMC5 I can't help but feel like maybe these expensive graphic tech does have a side effect on game design.

I mean, that's the reality of most AAA games today. Even with games that are long and more robust, you could tell where games have to figure out areas to be economical and go "hmm, there's no reason to do X/Y/Z if their role in the story is practically non-existent or are only for one level."

One could tell that characters like Lady and Trish didn't really have even a basic rig for them to be AI-combat partners when you were playing as Dante in the first Urizen level. They run wayyy ahead of Dante, and are just posing in the background when you reach them - literally art props without any sort of combat systems built-in for them.

Which makes sense if you think about how their role in the story would only have them be in a combat-role for only one mission, and doing all the work to make them have combat-abilities in just one short level might be pretty wasteful.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I mean, that's the reality of most AAA games today. Even with games that are long and more robust, you could tell where games have to figure out areas to be economical and go "hmm, there's no reason to do X/Y/Z if their role in the story is practically non-existent or are only for one level."

One could tell that characters like Lady and Trish didn't really have even a basic rig for them to be AI-combat partners when you were playing as Dante in the first Urizen level. They run wayyy ahead of Dante, and are just posing in the background when you reach them - literally art props without any sort of combat systems built-in for them.

Which makes sense if you think about how their role in the story would only have them be in a combat-role for only one mission, and doing all the work to make them have combat-abilities in just one short level might be pretty wasteful.

I agree, but I kinda miss the old days where devs would do some super extra stuff that barely appears in one level.