• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
But about Vergil coming back... What changed Vergil that he suddenly didn't want to be full demon again like when he splitted himself with Yamato?

Did being V changed his mind somehow? And why on the other hand the human V seeked out to become Vergil again whole Urizen hasn't?
In game V realized how as a human he regretted all of his actions as Vergil. He is basically trying to atone for his mistakes. One is he couldn't leave his full demon form take over. Also assuming he needed to combine so he wouldn't die.

Nov 7, 2017
Just finished the tutorial aka normal mode.

Nero devil trigger reveal was without a doubt the hypest moment ever in a game. Jesus

Kishido

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Other question what would happen if Vergil would stab someone like Dante or Nero with the Yamato in a fight?

Oct 25, 2017
But about Vergil coming back... What changed Vergil that he suddenly didn't want to be full demon again like when he splitted himself with Yamato?

Did being V changed his mind somehow? And why on the other hand the human V seeked out to become Vergil again whole Urizen hasn't?
Another interpretation is that Vergil planned this all along. V simply baiting the other characters in to weaken Urizen enough for him to be able to rejoin his demon side after feeding on the Fruit of Qliphoth which, presumably, revives Vergil for real. We saw how decomposed he was when stealing Yamato back from Nero, so I'm assuming he needed this entire plot in order to restore himself.

Oct 27, 2017
Other question what would happen if Vergil would stab someone like Dante or Nero with the Yamato in a fight?

He literally does in the fight with him, so...nothing?

If you want to suggest that they would be seperated into different persons as well, I guess it only works if the subject is willing to do so, just like Dante fusing with Rebellion was only possible after he got the hunch that it would do so if he only commands it to.

Another interpretation is that Vergil planned this all along. V simply baiting the other characters in to weaken Urizen enough for him to be able to rejoin his demon side after feeding on the Fruit of Qliphoth which, presumably, revives Vergil for real. We saw how decomposed he was when stealing Yamato back from Nero, so I'm assuming he needed this entire plot in order to restore himself.

Maybe. But it could also be that it was just a desperate attempt at regaining some stability, just like V said. It may also be that V really wanted to put an end to Urizen at first but then developed the plan to fuse with Urizen again on the road when he saw an opportunity to do so.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is one of the best games of the generation. RE2 WHO?

One of Capcom's best games ever.

When Vergil showed up I was like YAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSS

And then Nero got a Devil Trigger I was like

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS BIIIIIIIIIIIITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This game has left me with a feeling of genuine happiness.

nDUFvwd.jpg

Itsuno did my boy Nero right finally.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD

Interesting way of looking at!

I wouldn't be surprised if the fruit gave the additional bonus of helping Vergil get that Sin DT power-up on the same token.

So, if that's the case then...DMC5 really was a rare case where the villain accomplished all of his goals.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil May Cry 5 reaffirmed why I love Capcom so much. They have all this talent giving us amazing experiences that are fundamentally pure gameplay focus as well being on the top of their game in visuals, music, and style. Devil May Cry 5 is my favourite game of the year so far and I don't think this will be topped.

I am really surprised how much I loved V and playing as him. I am happy in a way that his character is cemented as a one time approach, thus making this title something special because of it. Also thumbs up on my end on all the strokes with what they did with Vergil. I also thought he looked great model wise.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe the game actually shattered my expectations like itsuno claimed.

Zaverious

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be ok with no more playable characters for DLC but if Bloody Palace doesn't have coop I am going to be so sad.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Anyway, I know we all want Vergil to be added in, but honestly after looking through the mission-select, I think more important than Vergil would be adding the option to play as any character in any mission after the first playthrough.

V technically already has Nero's Grab mechanic, so the Grab-Pad stuff should be technically doable for him already the same way it worked for Vergil in DMC4SE essentially. No idea how they could fix it for Dante though, but still.

Because honestly looking through it all, between 21 missions and 3 characters I don't think any of them got enough time to shine really, at least not until Bloody Palace is out.

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
Why is Nico the only one to react to Dante's Faust dance? I've watched that cutscene so many times and it's really starting to bug me. I'd understand if Trish rolled her eyes or something but she just stands there like nothing's happening.

Deleted member 21

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Gotta say, the level design and in general environments have been a major letdown, especially in the second half of the game where every mission almost looks the same

But good lord, once Vergil showed up, I forgot about all my issues and just enjoyed the ride. His RE Engine model looks spectacular and his animations are still cool as fuck. That ending shot with Vergil and Dante surrounded by demons is *chief's kiss*

I still can't believe that I've played an incredible fifth Devil May Cry game in 2019

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
I'd still like to know why Dante looks like a complete mess in this game. He looks like a homeless dude whereas before he was usually pretty stylish with his look (DMC3 and DMC4 particularly).

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I'd still like to know why Dante looks like a complete mess in this game. He looks like a homeless dude whereas before he was usually pretty stylish with his look (DMC3 and DMC4 particularly).

He's literally been a broke bum for awhile. Living in a shop with no power or water and no money to turn it on. On top of accepting a job, and almost immediately being knocked unconcious for a month.

Hard to look nice and clean in those situations lol

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
He's literally been a broke bum for awhile. Living in a shop with no power or water and no money to turn it on. On top of accepting a job, and almost immediately being knocked unconcious for a month.

Hard to look nice and clean in those situations lol

If he can't even afford some decent clothes then shit. Go ask Nero. He literally has people walk into his garage in tattered rags and offers them food. I'm sure he'd be willing to help lol.

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is Nico the only one to react to Dante's Faust dance? I've watched that cutscene so many times and it's really starting to bug me. I'd understand if Trish rolled her eyes or something but she just stands there like nothing's happening.

You really don't think the rest of them are used to Dante's bullshit by now?

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting way of looking at!

I wouldn't be surprised if the fruit gave the additional bonus of helping Vergil get that Sin DT power-up on the same token.

So, if that's the case then...DMC5 really was a rare case where the villain accomplished all of his goals.

Yes, I genuinely believe that is what happened, which is why I was so satisfied with the ending. Well, in the end, the brothers reached some sort of compromise thanks to Nero which made it even better! This little punk almost united these two maniacs. If anything, this game was Nero's redemption story, not Vergil's. We finally got an explanation for why he exists thematically speaking, and it was glorious.

Also I just beat Urizen in the Prologue on SoS difficulty, fuck yes. Did the DMD Prologue as well but with getting my ass handed to me, but I'm going back to SoS until I finish that either way.

Anyway, I know we all want Vergil to be added in, but honestly after looking through the mission-select, I think more important than Vergil would be adding the option to play as any character in any mission after the first playthrough.

V technically already has Nero's Grab mechanic, so the Grab-Pad stuff should be technically doable for him already the same way it worked for Vergil in DMC4SE essentially. No idea how they could fix it for Dante though, but still.

Because honestly looking through it all, between 21 missions and 3 characters I don't think any of them got enough time to shine really, at least not until Bloody Palace is out.

Dante could just Trick Up to these grab points and automatically Trick back down on the other side.

Dante is a trash man and no one cares about his antics except Nico who idolizes him.

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Wait does this mean V is Vergil's Nobody?
Yes, with Urizen as the Heartless; and Griffon, Shadow and Nightmare as Dream Eaters.

tumblr_inline_po18ui2bGc1tctwbn_1280.png

In DMC6, V will be reconstituted in a replica body and Trish / Lady still won't get to do anything.
you guys are joshing about but im half way through the game and ended up really liking the v/griffon duo that im legit hoping they pull some kingdom hearts shit and give him his own body/person. what a bloody waste to see them go away

Gorgosh

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished it, very conflicted about it.
Whenever I got to play Dante I really liked the game and thought it was a very good DMC3 sequel.
Whenever I had to play Nero, it was an okay action game.
V was absolute shit though, sadly.
Story was okay, Vergil looked off imho and the ending was a bit stupid.
So, I don't really know what to say about the game.... pretty mediocore for me overall and I am pretty sad that you can't play all Missions with Dante in the second playthrough.
DMC3 ist still king by a good margin for me... For me it is kinda like Dante and his shitty friend since DMC4, I would really like a DMC1 or 3 styled game were you play only as Dante again and have a bit more exploration and a better atmosphere. The city and Tree setting was as boring as can be.

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
This game is too good. The soundtrack is on point every single second. Everything from the tight controls to environment was amazing.

Also, I didn't expect to like V's gameplay this much.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
If he can't even afford some decent clothes then shit. Go ask Nero. He literally has people walk into his garage in tattered rags and offers them food. I'm sure he'd be willing to help lol.
Nero's poor as hell too.

Everyone else is used to this man's antics by now.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
anyone found any other buster counter opportunities

CosmicBolt

Self-Requested Ban
Oct 28, 2017
Just finished it, very conflicted about it.
Whenever I got to play Dante I really liked the game and thought it was a very good DMC3 sequel.
Whenever I had to play Nero, it was an okay action game.
V was absolute shit though, sadly.
Story was okay, Vergil looked off imho and the ending was a bit stupid.
So, I don't really know what to say about the game.... pretty mediocore for me overall and I am pretty sad that you can't play all Missions with Dante in the second playthrough.
DMC3 ist still king by a good margin for me... For me it is kinda like Dante and his shitty friend since DMC4, I would really like a DMC1 or 3 styled game were you play only as Dante again and have a bit more exploration and a better atmosphere. The city and Tree setting was as boring as can be.
I feel the same, excluding Dante, the whole game felt pretty mediocre.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just beat this and holy fuck was it great. The way dante plays alone makes this my favorite entry in the series. I'm happy as hell vergil finally returns and doesnt get murdered so he can be one of the mains in 6. I really hope bloody palace has him as a playable character.

Oct 25, 2017
The real question is what moves Nero can parry with Overture... I'm imagining there's like hundreds of them in total throughout the game, especially if all bosses are available for all characters in Bloody Palace later.

Just beat this and holy fuck was it great. The way dante plays alone makes this my favorite entry in the series. I'm happy as hell vergil finally returns and doesnt get murdered so he can be one of the mains in 6. I really hope bloody palace has him as a playable character.

Jesus, now that you mention it - this might be the only game in the series where Vergil doesn't get destroyed, haha. What a happy ending! Everyone went to hell and can now finally be truly happy in their endless conflict away from innocent people. I genuinely love this game.

Jan 21, 2019
United Kingdom
Aside from Trish/Lady's treatment, I can't really critique anything.

They even referenced my favourite DMC3 line.

Bh4GyzP.jpg

I feel like they shouldn't make DMC6 because I think they'd work themselves into the grave trying to top the Vergil reveal and then the reveal of Nero's DT.

Oct 25, 2017
By the way there was one little thing that bothered me story-wise. Griffon said that they were commanded by/bound to Nelo Angelo in DMC1 which I just find hard to believe. None of them ever acknowledged or referenced his existence and I'm 99% sure that Kamiya's intent with those bosses was to all simply be direct subordinates of Mundus with no other relation to eachother. Incredibly minor detail/retcon that unfortunately didn't really feel earned as justification for them being V's pets in this game. Oh well, I'm still incredibly happy they were in there and got the finale they did because that moment was utterly amazing. I get chills just thinking about that music kicking in... just wow.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
By the way there was one little thing that bothered me story-wise. Griffon said that they were commanded by/bound to Nelo Angelo in DMC1 which I just find hard to believe. None of them ever acknowledged or referenced his existence and I'm 99% sure that Kamiya's intent with those bosses was to all simply be direct subordinates of Mundus with no other relation to eachother. Incredibly minor detail/retcon that unfortunately didn't really feel earned as justification for them being V's pets in this game. Oh well, I'm still incredibly happy they were in there and got the finale they did because that moment was utterly amazing. I get chills just thinking about that music kicking in... just wow.
I thought the familiars are remnants of Nelo Angelos nightmares and torments. When they get released, Vergil is free from his nightmares.

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the familiars are remnants of Nelo Angelos nightmares and torments. When they get released, Vergil is free from his nightmares.
Why would Vergil have nightmares about random lieutenants of Mundus anyway? I guess maybe they tortured him but afaik that isn't mentioned anywhere in DMC1 or DMC5 at least.

i am actually happy about that. The story was about brother, father and son so they should have been the main focus.

i dont mean that I wouldnt want more from trish and lady. Morrison said he has some work for lady and trish so I hope it is some kind of DLC where its more focused on girls and not at all at dante, vergil or nero

The problem isn't so much them not being central characters but rather how they are just turned into damsels in distress, getting zero time with actual agency except Trish uh... throwing Sparda to Dante? YOU GO GIRL! and them being nude for literally no reason. Just a very poor choice overall by the devs in an otherwise fantastic game.

Last edited:

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
you guys are joshing about but im half way through the game and ended up really liking the v/griffon duo that im legit hoping they pull some kingdom hearts shit and give him his own body/person. what a bloody waste to see them go away

No, I agree - Vergil has gameplay on his side, but the V / Griffon duo are more likeable as characters at this point, and if they actually did pull more KH nonsense to get them back as their own beings, there's a fair bit more they could do with them.

Maybe Vergil could at least get a few mental conversations with V in DMC6.

Why would Vergil have nightmares about random lieutenants of Mundus anyway? I guess maybe they tortured him but afaik that isn't mentioned anywhere in DMC1 or DMC5 at least.

They're nightmares of his time as Angelo personified by the demons he was with at the time, not a reflection of anything the actual demons themselves did, I thought - which is kind of supported by how different they are from the originals.

It'd probably have made more "sense" to use an Angelo clone for that purpose, but they opted for more variety and another set of references, which I overall prefer - Griffon and the adorable new Shadow wouldn't have happened otherwise.

Dante_727

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Aside from Trish/Lady's treatment, I can't really critique anything.

i am actually happy about that. The story was about brother, father and son so they should have been the main focus.

i dont mean that I wouldnt want more from trish and lady. Morrison said he has some work for lady and trish so I hope it is some kind of DLC where its more focused on girls and not at all at dante, vergil or nero

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I never thought I'd say it, but I'm honestly completely fine with Dante not even being in the base game next time. Nero has completely surpassed him for me after being so bland in DMC4. Bring Lucia back with Nero from DMC6 imo.

Last edited:

Vee

Oct 27, 2017
I came with small optimism for anything related to Lucia easter egg and I get a fucking Patty voice cameo lmfao

Ciphyde

Nov 22, 2017
Am I the only one that didnt like Dante's VA that much this time? Did he really yawn and sigh so much before? Kind of makes it seem like Dante is bored of everything, likes he's having no fun and wants the game to be over :/
Meanwhile hes the most fun of the 3 to play, with Nero close 2nd, while his VA is badass with everything he says except "Nico stop the car!" while the bridge behind them is blowing up...