• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Vergil giving Nero the book was, in his own Vergil-esque way, a nod to his son. He does say he wants his runback as Vergil is prone to doing, but the book itself is extremely important to him, as we find from V and the game's reports. He's had it since he was a kid and treasures it.

yeah and after they got serious about leaving when he tried to stop them they just bitch slapped him down

This is also because Nero himself is running up to try and maybe grab their shoulders. If Nero had been really trying to force them to stay, with the level of power he's shown now that probably would have gone down a lot differently. So I wouldn't take that as a "he's not at their level" indicator.

The game feels like it's saying straight up that he is now. I'd say they're all probably around the same level of strength by the end, yes Nero's younger than them but it's common for the next generation to surpass the previous in these games (like Dante with Sparda) so it wouldn't surprise me if Nero in his later 30s was stronger than Dante and Vergil in their late 30s.

Last edited:

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
find it super hard to explain what gives me that off feeling. :/
Things seem to be missing for me. When V drops the Vergil bomb in the beginning - what would Dante's reaction be? What would he ask about the circumstances, about the how? (Cause he should be dead.). Maybe there would be even a thought of how to heal him?
At this point i imagine it's:
3lVq5dZ.jpg

Do Trish and Lady now what they are up to? They are so cheerful, and even Dante seems fine except some rare moments.
I mean neither of them have any emotional connection to Vergil whatsoever. And based on later dialogue, it seems literally only Dante knew that Urizen was Vergil since Trish asked about it.

He stays this joking way while being highly aggressive. That's what confused me, constantly asking if he knows it's Vergil or thinks of Mundus. And I think it's intentional, you as the player are meant to be in the dark as long as possible. (Although they aren't sublte. I mean, we dismissed some theories just because they were too obvious, and then they were all true. Lol. :o )
Eh, Urizen being Mundus was just a fan theory, the game goes out of it's way to never hint at it being Mundus, even during the scene they have that incredibly blatant shot of V's mouth quite clearly saying "Vergil" when Dante asks about the demon's name.

Dante's provoking and badmouthing of Vergil gets even worse around the fruite scene. And he doesn't stop on the top of the tree. Then lays back and let him and Nero fight. Goofy like DMC4 kinda.
I mean when Nero arrives, he quite literally knocks some sense into Dante.
Dunno, it doesn't add up for me. :/ Guess I just would want Dante to have second thoughts and to care more. Try to talk to him. Try to bring him back instead of insults
Try to bring him back to what? Think about it, they've been through this already. On multiple occasions no less.

Or on the other hand, if you don't have any faith left in him, be sad, be angry - not goofy. He isn't even in for a quick kill. Urizen-Vergil just lies there, while Dante takes his sweet time talking to others. Isn't that the moment to be a little sad? That's what you have become, let me end this, let me end your nightmare bla bla whatever?
Lol, it's Dante. Dude's not the type to grieve in front of others. He most likely would've shredded up Vergil and then went back home to hang out with Jack Daniels. Plus in his eyes, he was essentially just killing another demon. He saw Vergil eat the fruit.

Guess I just would want Dante to have second thoughts and to care more. Try to talk to him. Try to bring him back instead of insults.
I mean he literally did though. He tried to explain to Vergil that their mother went back to find him too before she was killed.
Let me rephrase. He didn't go from an asshole to a caring brother and father like I think a lot of people wanted him to. He's still an asshole, but just not as much. Power and his rivalry with Dante will always come first and foremost with Vergil and I just think people wanted something different. Personally, I'm fine with it. Stays true to the character.
I mean yea he's still an asshole but less of an asshole is an improvement.

I don't think he thinks what he did was wrong or that he cares about closing the tree to save anyone.

He goes to close the door cause A) he just got his ass kicked by Nero and had to do what he said/wanted B) like Vergil himself said, leaving the door open would've interfered with his plan to fight with Dante.
Ehhh, Vergil can not only fly but he can straight up create a portal and teleport. "This'll interfere with our business" at least to me is a backhanded admittance to doing the right thing.

also saw that more as Vergil hating to lose and wanting to beat Nero rather than him wanting to come back to his son. I don't think he had any use for that book either so that was more of a promise for Vergil that he would fight and beat Nero rather than a fatherly act.
Ehhh that's not how I interpret that at all. Vergil hates to lose yes. But that was quite clearly meant to be an affectionate gesture. I think something a lot of people missed is that during the scene where Vergil splits himself, he's reciting poetry as he's doing so. In DMC3 the only other thing Vergil was seen doing was reading when Arkham walked up to him. I think they took that and ran with it, making it one of his only personality traits besides wanting power.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
As an aside, I like how when Vergil uses the doppelganger DT for the first time in the final fight, Dante's response is "Think you can beat me? Not in a million years." ITSUNOOOOO

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
I feel like Vergil giving Nero the book was, in his own Vergil-esque way, a nod to his son. He does say he wants his runback as Vergil is prone to doing, but the book itself is extremely important to him, as we find from V and the game's reports. He's had it since he was a kid and treasures it.

This is also because Nero himself is running up to try and maybe grab their shoulders. If Nero had been really trying to force them to stay, with the level of power he's shown now that probably would have gone down a lot differently. So I wouldn't take that as a "he's not at their level" indicator.

The game feels like it's saying straight up that he is now. I'd say they're all probably around the same level of strength by the end, yes Nero's younger than them but it's common for the next generation to surpass the previous in these games (like Dante with Sparda) so it wouldn't surprise me if Nero in his later 30s was stronger than Dante and Vergil in their late 30s.

Yeah, I think they are on equal footing now, although of course it is never a good idea to think about power levels in fiction.

To be honest, I'm not really a fan of this development for Nero. Dante has been problematic story-wise since the End of DMC 1, because he was then already too powerful to be really threatened by anything. By the End of 5, both Dante and Vergil have surpassed this Level, probably by magnitudes through SDT.
And Neros first ever DT instantly puts him on the same Level. I kinda liked Nero story wise because the stakes felt more real for him.

I also think throwing him the book was a good thing. As well as thanking Nero before vanishing the first time through the portal. As V he got to like him, and there seems to be a little left of that.
But I don't think he's doing it as a father. Just a nod to someone, who was an interesting opponent. And maybe to say thanks again, helping his V side or so.

I wonder when V got the book. I suppose, he found it in the old mansion, when he woke up there and remembered it. Vergil shouldn't be able to take it with him back in the day, when he was attacked and keep it all the time through being Angelo and stuff.

Could have also been a nice thought of Dante having some feeling of guilt, that Vergil ended up as Nelo Angelo etc. Although it was primarily Vergil's own fault.

as we find from V and the game's reports.
What reports? I know it from the prequel novel, but those letters from Morrison shouldn't mention V? (Sadly I haven't seen them yet.)
Vergil's weird/unfitting face aside, those gifs look amazing.
I would have loved if they had kept the nearly similar faces thing.

At this point i imagine it's:

Eh, Urizen being Mundus was just a fan theory, the game goes out of it's way to never hint at it being Mundus, even during the scene they have that incredibly blatant shot of V's mouth quite clearly saying "Vergil" when Dante asks about the demon's name.

I mean when Nero arrives, he quite literally knocks some sense into Dante.

Try to bring him back to what? Think about it, they've been through this already. On multiple occasions no less.

Lol, it's Dante. Dude's not the type to grieve in front of others. He most likely would've shredded up Vergil and then went back home to hang out with Jack Daniels. Plus in his eyes, he was essentially just killing another demon. He saw Vergil eat the fruit.

I mean he literally did though. He tried to explain to Vergil that their mother went back to find him too before she was killed.
The prequel novel highly implies Mundus as well. And how does Vergil add up to Dante's reason for fighting? That's what screamed Mundus most.

Vergil was bad in 3. In 1 he was brainwashed. There was some good in him, but Mundus's power was stronger. It wasn't really Vergil's fault at that time, one can say.

That sentence about Eva felt thrown in. Too little, too late. And never again. That Urizen is not listening, fair enough. But after he merged with good guy V?
Strange that V did this. He was able to see his old actions as bad - why not go down this route and die alongside Urizen and end this? Why merge and be lost in bad guy Vergil again? Even as V he was still twisted. Beating up civilians for money and having an inner struggle about stabbing Dante.

Once again, it's not like it doesn't work. But it could work better. Or maybe more fitting: another way I'd like more.
It is, what it is and serves it purpose. But I expected something more interesting and more to my liking.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
What reports? I know it from the prequel novel, but those letters from Morrison shouldn't mention V? (Sadly I haven't seen them yet.)

There's one that talks about Vergil as a boy when he got the book, and how he has to write his name on the things he gets so that he and Dante don't fight over them.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's incredibly dumb that Vergil and Dante were twins in every single game except this one. Like, they had to actively avoid using Dante's face for Vergil this time around.
As an aside, I like how when Vergil uses the doppelganger DT for the first time in the final fight, Dante's response is "Think you can beat me? Not in a million years." ITSUNOOOOO
nGMrD.gif

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The prequel novel highly implies Mundus as well. And how does Vergil add up to Dante's reason for fighting? That's what screamed Mundus most.
I mean all doubt should've disappeared when they have a panning extreme closeup of V saying "Ver--" as the screen fades to black. As well as the jackpot line.

Vergil was bad in 3. In 1 he was brainwashed. There was some good in him, but Mundus's power was stronger. It wasn't really Vergil's fault at that time, one can say.
What evidence was there that there was good in Vergil in 3? We only got an indication that he cared about their mother but ofc he would. In 1 he was essentially a slave but he still had some will of his own.
That sentence about Eva felt thrown in.
I mean Dante had him beat, that was his last attempt to maybe spark something in Vergil but it was just further confirmation that his brother was truly gone.
Strange that V did this. He was able to see his old actions as bad - why not go down this route and die alongside Urizen and end this? Why merge and be lost in bad guy Vergil again? Even as V he was still twisted. Beating up civilians for money and having an inner struggle about stabbing Dante.
Vergil seemed desperate not to die. Just because he self reflected doesn't mean he was just gonna let himself die, especially considering he straight up begged Nero to help him get to Urizen. I'll give you beating up a civilian but considering later context, I don't think he ever intended on stabbing Dante. Mainly doing it so that fight or flight would kick in.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how long it will be until people don't even bother having spoiler warnings for DT Nero and Sin DT. The maskerade seems to be holding for now...

I was so disappointed when you run into the tree as Dante and all Trish and Lady do is five seconds of animation where Lady dodges a swipe, jumps up a tree, and vamooses.

CosmicBolt

Self-Requested Ban
Oct 28, 2017
That power jump they gave Nero at the end was straight from Naruto's book. Holy shit that was bad, no proper build up it felt rushed.

After playing DMC5 one thing is for sure to me, Nero is still not fit to be the main protagonist imho. His edgelord gimmick is getting old.

Also If the series continues without Dante, it should focus on new protagonist and Nero should be second hero like Dante in 4&5, it'll keep the series fresh.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I was super disappointed in Lady and Trish, although more Lady than Trish surprisingly. Lady got the brunt of the fanservice and I kinda liked Trish's convo with V.

There's one that talks about Vergil as a boy when he got the book, and how he has to write his name on the things he gets so that he and Dante don't fight over them.
Oh my gosh, that's super cute. I love it! :O
I mean all doubt should've disappeared when they have a panning extreme closeup of V saying "Ver--" as the screen fades to black. As well as the jackpot line.

What evidence was there that there was good in Vergil in 3? We only got an indication that he cared about their mother but ofc he would. In 1 he was essentially a slave but he still had some will of his own.
Yeah sure, but on the other hand - let him just say it then. <.< The whole time it feels like you know it, and they know you know it, but they want you to think, you don't know it. :p

But I said he was bad..? But well, his actions are contradicting. You can say he doesn't lay a hand on Lady. And he doesn't kill Dante. On the tower, cut his head off and all your problems would have been solved. He should have known, that stabbing him with Rebellion is nothing much for their bodies. So that would show he's not all full killer psycho but just knows what he has to do to get to his goal.
Is this will of his own in 1 a bad one? It is what makes im act in a way, Dante sees as honor and a fair opponent. I would think, without this rest of his mind, he would have been a worse person.

At the end of the day, I like the old interpretation, he wanted power because of his fear of loss, anxity of being vulnerable and not able to protect important things/people to him more than this new mother abandoned me and that's why I go full demon power stuff.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I was super disappointed in Lady and Trish, although more Lady than Trish surprisingly. Lady got the brunt of the fanservice and I kinda liked Trish's convo with V.

she's introduced as "The infinite arsenal" or something and she doesn't fire a gun or anything in the entire game. it's super lame.

Give me classic lady!

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Lady and Trish were pretty disappointing, actually terrible, didn't even see them fight or anything, literally felt like they were only in the game for some fan service. Overall found the story to be a little underwhelming, still, there was some really cool scenes and the characters are awesome, love seeing them back, & even though I knew about Vergil before I played the game I still got goosebumps when he showed up and the boss fights against him were so dope, the combat in general is just insanely good.
I need Vergil playable though which I'm sure is coming, would also be cool if Trish and Lady became playable characters but I'm not sure how likely that is of happening.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the ending has a perfect setup for 2 DLC's. One with Trish and Lady on the job and having an actual personality. And another with Dante and Vergil scaping hell.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah sure, but on the other hand - let him just say it then. <.< The whole time it feels like you know it, and they know you know it, but they want you to think, you don't know it. :p
This is DMC, the series where crying gets met with a line like "It's only the rain."

But I said he was bad..? But well, his actions are contradicting. You can say he doesn't lay a hand on Lady. And he doesn't kill Dante. On the tower, cut his head off and all your problems would have been solved. He should have known, that stabbing him with Rebellion is nothing much for their bodies. So that would show he's not all full killer psycho but just knows what he has to do to get to his goal.
Is this will of his own in 1 a bad one? It is what makes im act in a way, Dante sees as honor and a fair opponent. I would think, without this rest of his mind, he would have been a worse person.
I mean he was trying to kill Dante. Not sure he stabbed Dante with the full intent of awakening the latter's DT. He seemed fully intent on killing him.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
The story was underwhelming for me in the way of "nothing much in this game narratively feels earned."

The whole V/Vergil/Urizen aspect just feels like there could've been more to it.

We got a Shadow Moses moment in this game with Dante/Vergil returning to the place where it all began for them, but as the player, due to how previous games never really gave weight to those aspects of the relationship, you don't really feel it. Same as when you hear Vergil say stuff like "if we were swapped that day, would our lives be different?". Man, you did not earn that at all.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
I just saw this on 4chan and wanted to see if anyone could confirm: apparently it's being claimed that post patch they censored Trish's butt with the motorcycle light at the end of mission 11 on PS4? Can anyone confirm?

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
"Where did you learn to count? We're even."

Vergil is so goddamn petty lmao. Seems like the only way they can bond is through fighting each other, they've truly become Goku and Vegeta.

direct_quote

Oct 25, 2017
That last Jackpot scene is the greatest. Just had to put that out there.
Yup I loved it. Overall liked most of the story up until the end where everyone was like "ok let's be on the same side". I was hoping Nero's DT would come from him fighting Vergil and realizing Devil Breakers weren't enough... But I'll live.

But Vergil fans eating with this game, full Vergil back in force!

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
So uh, has anyone figured out "A New Job" yet?

9tyqwk.png

Looking down the Achievement list and seeing the presence of Bloody Palace trophies, I assume this might be related to Patch content down the line.

chocolate

Feb 28, 2018
So what's the opinion on Vergil?

Thinking about it more, it does make sense for him to feel abandoned and like he needs more power to not be helpless. I think it's in character for the most part.

Dante and Vergil have a twisted relationships but they don't want to actually kill the other. They don't 100% hate each other I reckon.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So uh, has anyone figured out "A New Job" yet?

9tyqwk.png

Looking down the Achievement list and seeing the presence of Bloody Palace trophies, I assume this might be related to Patch content down the line.
In credits sequence, defeat enough demons with Nero during his portion, and with Dante in his portion
86NzhUY.jpg

Just got it about 20 mins ago and thats how I unlocked it

s y

Nov 8, 2017
There's definitely gonna be some trish/lady dlc from the Morrison scene at the end.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
that final boss was so fucking good. thank you itsuno.

also, I'm Team Nero. dude can totally carry the series by himself at this point, if that's what they choose to do (they won't)

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Im seeing this too... saw a tweet of this...

wefxIPK.jpg

Yep. Just checked and they have censored Trish in that scene. The light wasn't there when I played that part yesterday.

Ehhh, Vergil can not only fly but he can straight up create a portal and teleport. "This'll interfere with our business" at least to me is a backhanded admittance to doing the right thing.
I reckon he still wants to fight Dante without the need to keep an eye on demons and being interrupted by them.
Ehhh that's not how I interpret that at all. Vergil hates to lose yes. But that was quite clearly meant to be an affectionate gesture. I think something a lot of people missed is that during the scene where Vergil splits himself, he's reciting poetry as he's doing so. In DMC3 the only other thing Vergil was seen doing was reading when Arkham walked up to him. I think they took that and ran with it, making it one of his only personality traits besides wanting power.
When it comes to Vergil I think what you see is what you get, he literally just killed millions in his petty quest to kill his little brother cause he felt his mother didn't love him enough. So when he says Nero should keep this until book until they fight next and that the next time he won't lose, I interpret it exactly as that.

Let's not forget that just a few minutes before that scene during his fight with Dante he said that his son means nothing to him. So I think Vergil's interest in Nero is purely for his power and him wanting to beat Nero and prove that he is better than him.
Nah I think you're looking at his actions with more of a negative slant than intended. I don't think you can ignore the V parts of Vergil either, which clearly shows that he recognizes his actions as wrong. Even when Vergil lost to Nero he wasn't upset or angry. Just interested. We also now know that the book meant something to him. I saw it as a promise that he wouldn't be trapped in Hell forever and would be back. Just the Vergil version of it.
I'm ignoring V's part cause Vergil shows no signs of him at all. The moment V and Urizen merged to resurrect Vergil, V was gone for good and Vergil once again turned into a power hungry person that simply wants to kill his kin cause he is jealous of them.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
I reckon he still wants to fight Dante without the need to keep an eye on demons and being interrupted by them.

When it comes to Vergil I think what you see is what you get, he literally just killed millions in his petty quest to kill his little brother cause he felt his mother didn't love him enough. So when he says Nero should keep this until book until they fight next and that the next time he won't lose, I interpret it exactly as that.

Let's not forget that just a few minutes before that scene during his fight with Dante he said that his son means nothing to him. So I think Vergil's interest in Nero is purely for his power and him wanting to beat Nero and prove that he is better than him.

I'm ignoring V's part cause Vergil shows no signs of him at all. The moment V and Urizen merged to resurrect Vergil, V was gone for good and Vergil once again turned into a power hungry person that simply wants to kill his kin cause he is jealous of them.

You say that you ignore the V parts of Vergil, but then you attribute Urizen's actions to Vergil at the same time? Do you think one is more dominant than the other? I don't think it works that way. The V parts are always there and remember himself before the split and kept memories after. Honestly, I don't put much into Vergil's line saying he doesn't care cause right after that he's like " Wait.... Nero's my son???

Uuuuuh, why is Dante and Vergil being trapped in hell a thing? He still has Yamato.
Cut a portal and... leave?

We got a Shadow Moses moment in this game with Dante/Vergil returning to the place where it all began for them, but as the player, due to how previous games never really gave weight to those aspects of the relationship, you don't really feel it. Same as when you hear Vergil say stuff like "if we were swapped that day, would our lives be different?". Man, you did not earn that at all.
There is def a flashback missing. Make Dante see the house in the old way. Wander around it. See them playing there as kids. Something like that. Absolutaly wasted.

I'm not even sure why they used it in the end again. Urizen waves it away, it's just an illusion the fruit created. Why did the fruit show that? Because that's where his hatred was born?

You say that you ignore the V parts of Vergil, but then you attribute Urizen's actions to Vergil at the same time? Do you think one is more dominant than the other? I don't think it works that way. The V parts are always there and remember himself before the split and kept memories after. Honestly, I don't put much into Vergil's line saying he doesn't care cause right after that he's like " Wait.... Nero's my son???
There is still a bit of V in him, I agree on that, but very, very little. All the remorse and the good deeds V showed made us think, merged he would fight on Dante's side, but no, he turns mostly evil. Big bummer.
But Vergil turns back and thanks Nero. And that he has a second thought about the book is also a little V moment. But he is mostly back to being baddy.
Vergil doesn't care about Nero. And of course he is surprised - he had not the slightest idea. May not even remember how it happened. He didn't intent to start a family. We not even know, if he was in a relationship. He most likely just knocked her up while traveling through.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
I hope the "no DLC" thing is a ruse.
Vergil DLC with a mini campaign of Dante and Vergil cutting down the tree & escaping hell while learning to get along seems like a no brainer.
(also Trish and lady)

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
Just some quick initial thoughts:

It sucks how Lady basically takes a back seat for the whole game. At least Trish has the weird pseudo connection to V and Nero to play off. I know it's not "her" story but she does *nothing* the whole game.

Game's pacing feels weird partly due to loading times and how it cuts up the cutscene flow and partly how it hops around. I think DMC3 will always be king of the series in this regard, having fewer characters to follow helps it a ton (there's only 4).

Dante/Vergil rivalry and the payoff with Nero is still super cool even though the last two missions are basically the same boss twice.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So do Trish and Lady really not have any cool scenes?

Because that would be really disappointing. And normally I'm not one to complain about fan service but combine that with both of them apparently being shown naked then yikes.

That'd be more disappointing then what happened to Kairi to me.

On another note hate Vergil being brought back and hate him being "redeemed" even more. Why should Nero give a shit about this asshole?

Vergil DLC with a mini campaign of Dante and Vergil cutting down the tree & escaping hell while learning to get along seems like a no brainer.
Shut up and take my money! And my firstborn! And secondborn! I also have this sacrificial goat. Or you prefer sheep? A deer? I can arrange that!
So do Trish and Lady really not have any cool scenes?

Because that would be really disappointing. And normally I'm not one to complain about fan service but combine that with both of them apparently being shown naked then yikes.

That'd be more disappointing then what happened to Kairi to me.

On another note hate Vergil being brought back and hate him being "redeemed" even more. Why should Nero give a shit about this asshole?
Nope. You don't see them fighting once. They are just in to be there and to show some skin. Their scenes aren't bad though, if you ignore the nudity thing, ok dialogue.
But the game wouldn't be much different without them.

Where do you see Vergil redeemed? In fact he's worse than before. That's what throws some of us so off. :o V was a nice attempt, but thrown away the moment they merged.
Nero's feelings get pretty clear when he has this strange phone call with Kyrie. He's an orphan, was made fun of by everyone calling him a whore's child. His only family was Kyrie's, but the parents died pretty quick. And later Credo. It's not surprising he longes for relatives. Made me feel bad for him, that Dante didn't tell him sooner.
At that point, Nero knows nothing about Vergil, so it is not surprising he does care for both of them. Especially with this longing for family.
Nico on the other hand, she irritates me. Her father left the family when she was 2 years old. Her mother always loved him, no way she would have badmouthed him. Nico didn't know her father, didn't know about his death. She was curious enough to search for him. But she often says how much she hates him, what a bad guy he was and that she didn't cry when he died. (And she was only told about it by Nero.)