• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
The stake in Endgame is not about defeating Thanos, it's about getting 50% of all living beings back. From this point of view Captain Marvel's power doesn't matter that much. Thor could do it as well. Probably Thanos doesn't even have the motivation to fight anymore since he reached his goal.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
The Russos have found a "thoughtful way around" her powers:

"It's always a concern of ours about overpowering characters," says the elder Russo brother, perhaps wary of outright name-checking Captain Marvel, whose involvement in Endgame has been kept under wraps, "Because the reason that people relate to these characters is their humanity, and that they're flawed…So, we're all acutely aware of the dangers of having an overly powerful character. [But] we like sensitive storytelling, so… we found a thoughtful way through it."

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Fury wouldn't have called Captain Marvel in Avengers 1 because it would have sabotaged what he was trying to achieve, having the Avengers initiative restarted/accepted. Similar to why he didn't want to use Phase 2 weapons.

As Feige himself has said, just because you don't see Nick Fury send a pager message to Carol in Avengers or Age of Ultron, doesn't mean he didn't send one. Whether he did or not, the Avengers managed without her help.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Super predictable and generic film, but still enjoyable for Brie, Jackson, and others who were clearly having a great time. Brie sells badass so well, she even helped make the recent Tomb Raider re-boot enjoyable.

There were too many moments throughout that felt fully scripted to the MCU standard, the brief flashes of a more cosmic scale weren't quite enough to differentiate it. I did enjoy the way it fit into the time line a lot, though, and the post-credit scene was really cool.

Solid MCU origin, but not top tier MCU. A sequel has the potential to be, though, all the pieces are in the right place.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Except he was putting together a team because he knew he couldn't just page Carol every time shit went down, she's too far away.

Considering Phase 2 and 3 of the MCU has largely been about recovering from the events of Avengers 1, that doesn't really hold up. You have an US soldier who is more powerful than anyone you can recruit on the planet and probably more powerful than the entire Avenger team put together, and you don't call it when aliens actually invade Earth?

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Considering Phase 2 and 3 of the MCU has largely been about recovering from the events of Avengers 1, that doesn't really hold up. You have an US soldier who is more powerful than anyone you can recruit on the planet and probably more powerful than the entire Avenger team put together, and you don't call it when aliens actually invade Earth?
They got through Avengers 1 without her...

Recovery isn't emergency.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
So given that Monica Rambeau is a kid in this movie we're definitely getting a Captain Marvel 2 in present day with an adult, powered-up Monica, right?

luca

Oct 25, 2017
We don't know if Fury tried calling her. As Kevin Feige put it, just because we didn't see it, doesn't mean he didn't try call for her.

Also, he put together the Avengers Initiative for a reason. Then he put them to use, and it worked out. That was the purpose. To manage without having to call on Carol every time there's a threat.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
As Feige himself has said, just because you don't see Nick Fury send a pager message to Carol in Avengers or Age of Ultron, doesn't mean he didn't send one. Whether he did or not, the Avengers managed without her help.

Hell, for all we know, Carol HAS come back and visited Earth a few times over the past 24 years. Just because she wasn't there lasering things doesn't mean she never actually did come back to see her friends.

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone explain to me how Shield did an MIB job on the entire planet
When Ronan comes in near Earth' s orbit?

How did death's military not shit themselves?

It's totally glossed over.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Fury didn't call in Capt Marvel until people were literally turning to dust around him. He clearly considers calling her in a option of last resort. Even in Avegers 1 they still had options.

Oct 29, 2017
There was an REM song playing at the end when they were all sitting around the table at Maria's. However, I can't recall which song and there were 2 REM songs in the credits.
Thanks, dude. We were kind going nuts trying to remember where REM played but couldn't figure it out, probably just some very low music playing in the background we couldn't hear.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Again, Captain Marvel coming to save the day in Avengers 1 would have meant the definitive death of the Avengers initiative. Fury wouldn't have called her unless there was nothing else that could be done.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Any explanation on why Fury didn't call her before now should first understand it's not an explanation, it's just a rationalization. He couldn't call her because she wasn't in the story yet.

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I liked the movie. It was very enjoyable!
For me, the biggest issue with Marvel movies is that all heroes look like just humans that know how to fight and are just dressed up. I don't want to turn this comment into a DC vs Marvel, but one thing I LOVE about Superman and Wonder Woman is that the strength of them are really portrayed when they fight. They show their speed and how they are really superheroes.

In Marvel movies, they all fight the same. Thor and Captain Marvel should be shown just like how Superman is portrayed in his movies. It should be completely obvious and apparent how powerful they are. Now, they have done this slowly and they showed Thor obliterating the Chitauri in Avengers Infinity War, and Captain Marvel was shown being a Super Sayian, so they are getting there.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I see this with Star Wars too, but I just don't understand the people who are ready to accept one version of a fantasy world that is already full of things that defy common sense and rational thinking, but immediately explode with outrage once a small change happens to that universe. It's obsessing over a world that doesn't exist and it's unhealthy as hell.

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I liked the movie. It was very enjoyable!
For me, the biggest issue with Marvel movies is that all heroes look like just humans that know how to fight and are just dressed up. I don't want to turn this comment into a DC vs Marvel, but one thing I LOVE about Superman and Wonder Woman is that the strength of them are really portrayed when they fight. They show their speed and how they are really superheroes.

In Marvel movies, they all fight the same. Thor and Captain Marvel should be shown just like how Superman is portrayed in his movies. It should be completely obvious and apparent how powerful they are. Now, they have done this slowly and they showed Thor obliterating the Chitauri in Avengers Infinity War, and Captain Marvel was shown being a Super Sayian, so they are getting there.

DC heroes seem so much faster, the whole DBZ blur style, Marvel heroes kinda move sluggishly and I agree. It's not 'kinetic' enough

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
It kind of does. Last time I trusted someone I lost an eye. So uh..... is he referring to the cat? Lol.

Plus, this badass moment.

Wait, Fury clearly has three scratches across is eye there. Don't tell me they had planned this since Winter Soldier.

Actually, when did they announce that Captain Marvel was going tog et a film compared to that?

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
So given that Monica Rambeau is a kid in this movie we're definitely getting a Captain Marvel 2 in present day with an adult, powered-up Monica, right?

I would assume it depends on where they take the second movie in regards to Ronin and Carol. They have 20+ year window to tell whatever story they want.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
God, I just remembered it. Science guy died, worst part of the movie.
He got a raw ass deal, there was no way he was getting out of that encounter alive and the others had to have known that.

EDIT: I think we might be reading too much into Ronan being the one to say they'll come back for her in the end. It could just end up being other Kree who come back and not Ronan specifically.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Again, Captain Marvel coming to save the day in Avengers 1 would have meant the definitive death of the Avengers initiative. Fury wouldn't have called her unless there was nothing else that could be done.
Not too mention the Avengers movies usually take place in the span of a day. Space travel ain't that fast.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Anyways, the movie was better than the trailers had me guess. The best parts were, unsurprisingly, Brie and Mendelson (even if Brie has a few wooden moments). I dug the 90s vibes but hey, I'm an 80s kid. The main problems are that general inconsistency and the supremely uninteresting story. Carol isn't an interesting hero in the comics and while she's immensely more likeable in Brie's portrayal, the way the movie frames her (basically as Superman, an invincible superpowered alien) makes her inherit all the flaws and limits of Superman stories (ie it's incredibly boring to watch someone that can't lose).

I wasn't as fond of the cat as everyone else seems to be. The action was unbelievably dull. Fury was... different, but SLJ sells the character perfectly.

Let's see what the Russos do with her. Hopefully not what Whedon did with Superman in JL.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Guys, do you realize how silly it sounds to say that Fury would rather risk thousands of human lifes or possibly total extinction than jeopardize the birth of a team created to prevent exactly that situation?

Feige is giving the only acceptable explanation: Fury called, and Carol either was too late or didn't answer for some reason.

Next we need to answer why Carol isn't around to help for the events of Guardians 1, or the buildup of Infinity War. It's almost comical that Carol leaves to police the galaxy and help people deep in space, and well, the entire Infinity War buildup happens in space first and then reaches Earth. Whatever she's been doing in these 30 years... she wasn't very good at it.

This is a major problem with introducing characters of this power level.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
So what exactly happened with Korath?
He kind of just disappears from what I remember.

There's a scene on Mar Vells lab where a spinning machine gets activated, it looks like he got tossed into it.

There's always the chance he shows up again in CM 2, along with Ronan if the movie still pre End Game...which would be a little weird as it'd come out years from now.

IcyInferno

Oct 26, 2017
I like how we find out how Ronan got his title 'The Accuser'. I don't read the comics so I'm not sure if it is the same as the movie but I noticed Talos referring to the Kree as accusers after the twist. I'm also hoping in the sequel we see more Ronan and Korath and I guess Yon-Rogg's story isn't over yet either. Even if the sequel takes place in the present time, some clever uses of flashbacks to flesh out Ronan's story and maybe end with a scene of Ronan making a deal with Thanos.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I like how we find out how Ronan got his title 'The Accuser'. I don't read the comics so I'm not sure if it is the same as the movie but I noticed Talos referring to the Kree as accusers after the twist. I'm also hoping in the sequel we see more Ronan and Korath and I guess Yon-Rogg's story isn't over yet either. Even if the sequel takes place in the present time, some clever uses of flashbacks to flesh out Ronan's story and maybe end with a scene of Ronan making a deal with Thanos.

The Accusers are a branch of the Kree military responsible for firebombing planets harboring suspected enemies. They were the ones who initiated the attack on the planet Starforce went to on their first mission. Ronan is just one of them.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
There's a scene on Mar Vells lab where a spinning machine gets activated, it looks like he got tossed into it.

There's always the chance he shows up again in CM 2, along with Ronan if the movie still pre End Game...which would be a little weird as it'd come out years from now.
I honestly don't know if I care about either character enough to have them show up a third time, when there's so many one-time MCU characters that seem more deserving.

I reckoned this might be an opportunity to develop Ronan from his one-note grunting zealot in GotG, but here he just showed up and did it again...

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

In the comics "Accusers" is a job or role-like a judge and executioner.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like it took a few days for Carol to reach earth from the teaser. Simple enough. Most of the Marvel flicks happen over a day or two. There is the reasoning. Its not a stretch. Carol is probably helping thousands of others millions of miles away. Girl has some travel time. While the Avengers are local.

The only sigh was from the Tesseract, again. Its become the Dio of the series.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
I honestly don't know if I care about either character enough to have them show up a third time, when there's so many one-time MCU characters that seem more deserving.

I reckoned this might be an opportunity to develop Ronan from his one-note grunting zealot in GotG, but here he just showed up and did it again...

Yeah, I'm disappointed about the whole Ronan thing again too. Interesting "villain" with an awesome actor attached to it.

Lone

Mar 6, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
The "rumor"/leak about the second trailer for Avengers: Endgame coming on April 2nd (with tickets on sale) is my bet right now. It gives the audience a good month to have seen Captain Marvel to introduce her in the second trailer. The second trailer most likely uses the scene shown at the Disney shareholder meeting prominently.