• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PhotonicBrain

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Are there any Kree writings in this movie? I just want to make sure because I have a shirt with Kree writing on it and I would like to wear it to the theater if so.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So yeah -- Stan Lee now exists as part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe? Presumably MCU Stan Lee wrote some different comic books besides Hulk/Spider-Man/Captain America, but he was still a huge figure at some comic book company?

I feel like that is a pretty good cameo for him to go out on. I don't know how they can really top it in Endgame.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The Skrull interactions were great, especially from where they're in Louisiana to the end. Fucking science guy man.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't wear Captain Marvel merchandise to a screening of Captain Marvel.

Learn from Happy Hogan's college years: Don't be that guy.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Don't wear Captain Marvel merchandise to a screening of Captain Marvel.

Learn from Happy Hogan's college years: Don't be that guy.

wat

Fans do that to tons of genre films on opening nights. There were a lot of people wearing Captain Marvel shirts tonight at my showing.

No cosplay though. I'll never forget the spandex symbiote Spider-Man costume someone wore to Spider-Man 3.

The reason I'll never forget?

His very visible penis outline.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
What was the point of the "Captain Marvel will return in Avengers: Endgame" title card?

Yeah, obviously she's going to return in the next Avengers movie, you just showed us a scene from it 2 seconds ago.

They do one of those in every single Marvel movie. It's just a tradition.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY NEXTWAVE FILM NOW MARVEL

DO IT

PUT THOSE FUCKHEADS ON THE SCREEN AND LET MONICA BE TIRED

good movie tho

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
There's a Pre-credits "Character will return in..." for every Marvel movie? I certainly don't remember it for stuff like Strange or Ant-Man.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's in all of them. Infinity War had "Thanos will return" which was then being cheeky with the tradition.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's in all of them. Infinity War had "Thanos will return" which was then being cheeky with the tradition.
I guess I often didn't notice or see since it's commonly at the very end of the film, even after the post-credits scene.....whereas with Captain Marvel it is just at the mid-credits.

Just looked at Ant-Man and the Wasp and it says "Ant-Man and the Wasp will return?" Heh.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
just got back. I liked it, didn't love it.

But the Stan Lee tribute at the beginning...

tenoru3jx9.png

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I really hope Rogue and Captain Marvel cross paths one day..... :p

The tesseract will be a good way of explaining why Rogue gained some of the powers she absorbed permanently.

No one

Shield had it the whole time it's just for like 6 years it was missing because Marvell hid it from the kree

My headcannon for the gap between this movie and Avengers is that they didn't have the technology or a person like Mar-Vell who knows enough to work on the Tesseract. The project restarted only when Phase 1 threats happened and Fury was already Director. Alexander Pierce probably pushed for it after climbing the ranks as well.

Oct 25, 2017
So the Tessaract powered Hydra's weapons, sent Red Skull to the planet with the Soul stone, powered a prototype light speed engine, gave Danvers her powers, allowed Loki to warp in and brainwash Selvig, opened a portal to allow the NYC invasion, acquired by Thanos so he could do the snap....

I wonder how many other movies it's gonna be in :p

Thanos is going to be so surprised when he realizes Danvers IS an infinity stone lol

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Star Wars musical homages during the canyon chase scene were really distracting.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
So the Tessaract powered Hydra's weapons, sent Red Skull to the planet with the Soul stone, powered a prototype light speed engine, gave Danvers her powers, allowed Loki to warp in and brainwash Selvig, opened a portal to allow the NYC invasion, acquired by Thanos so he could do the snap....

One correction: it was Loki's staff, which contained the Mind Stone, that brainwashed Selvig and Hawkeye.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017

I wonder how many other movies it's gonna be in :p

Thanos is going to be so surprised when he realizes Danvers IS an infinity stone lol
The Tesseract just does whatever the writers want at that point. :p

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
I loved this movie. Easily top 10 in the MCU and possibly top 5 as well. It's basically a Phase 1 movie but better in every way.

How beautiful were the Supreme Intelligence scenes? Those were visually so well done, as was the Skrull mind probe scene.

Also, we can assume that Carol does something that forces the Kree to stop warring on the rest of known space, right? Since between this movie and GotG the Kree sign an unpopular peace with Xandar that makes Ronan go rogue.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I loved this movie. Easily top 10 in the MCU and possibly top 5 as well. It's basically a Phase 1 movie but better in every way.

How beautiful were the Supreme Intelligence scenes? Those were visually so well done, as was the Skrull mind probe scene.

Also, we can assume that Carol does something that forces the Kree to stop warring on the rest of known space, right? Since between this movie and GotG the Kree sign an unpopular peace with Xandar that makes Ronan go rogue.

Well she did kind of slap the Supreme Intelligence and tear up an Accuser bomber. The Kree probably don't want to risk pissing her off.

Iceternal

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not absolutely sure Carol is stronger than Thor with Stormbreaker. Without Stormbreaker there is no question but right now ? I thought she would actually be even more OP after what Feige said.

I actually like it better this way TBH.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Tesseract just does whatever the writers want at that point. :p
Probably because it's the only Stone confirmed to be on Earth and not in anyone's possession.

Can't use the Time Stone since the Ancient One's order has that, and the Power Stone has canonically been locked away in some hidden realm. Mind Stone is with Thanos till "The Avengers", Power Stone is on another planet, and Soul is on Vormir.

At least Marvel's consistent with the sources of their blue beams into the sky.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just another good ass MCU film. You know what sucks tho. The fact that Monica will be in her 30s in the current times cause I would of loved watching her and Cassie Lang interact cause those where two awesome daughters in the MCU.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Well she did kind of slap the Supreme Intelligence and tear up an Accuser bomber. The Kree probably don't want to risk pissing her off.
Well, she does literally say that she's going to Hala to finish the war, so I imagine she does.

It would be interesting if in Captain Marvel 2 she has to work with Yon-Rogg again.

Speaking of, part of my problem with Battle Angel Alita was that it was 3 movies crammed into one with multiple false seeming endings. So imagine by surprise and satisfaction when, after climactically blowing the fuck up out of an Accuser bomber, Yon-Rogg calls Carol out to face him man to woman as they face off and she just blasts him instead. Nothing to prove indeed.

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
Gud lawd. What a terrible movie this was.

Please jettison the action director. Holy shit. I had high expectations and they didn't even meet the lowest bar

It felt like movie thrown together like the audio was record as a dub version. I don't even know how to explain it. Worst marvel movie with first avenger.

Her going up to the kree ship and bumping her fists to scare them off?! Hahahahahha

What a disappointment

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
Oh god, now you made me feel REALLY old :(

And for the Stan Lee cameo, for those of you who have never seen Mallrats (also making me feel really old)

The thing I loved the most of his Mallrats scene, was when he first says goodbye to Brodie, and starts walking away (to left of frame), he gets stopped, says his last line, and proceeds to go the other direction (right of frame).

Stan the Man.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just got back. Pretty mixed on it overall. The start was REALLY rough but I thought the middle section had a lot of good stuff in it in particular. I think I'd give it about a 6.5/10. I agree with how the critical average ranks it in the lower-middle of the MCU movies. It's basically around Ant-Man/Thor quality...which isn't really what you want for an origin story of the most powerful entity in the MCU.

The Good:
+ The Stan Lee intro was great and the Mallrats cameo was hilarious.
+ Samuel L. Jackson fucking kills it. The film improves immeasurably the moment he shows up.
+ The digital de-aging on SLJ was absolutely ridiculous and I can't believe how good it looked.
+ Letting Ben Mendelsohn use his Aussie accent LMAO
+ Talos being WAY more interesting than I expected from the marketing. Dug it.
+ The actress who played Maria gave the best performance in the film even though her character was pretty thin. Her emoting during several scene was just spot on and made Carol seem kinda bland by comparison.
+ Some cool musical choices (some not, but more on that later).
+ The cat was hilarious. Glad they included the alien aspect.
+ The closing title sequence was AWESOME.
+ The original score was really, really cool. One of the most memorable in a while.
+ A cat causing Fury's eye injury. LMAO

The Bad:
- The direction was really flat for almost the entire movie. There was so little personality to most of the shots and a lot of the action/dialogue coverage was super sloppy and ugly. You can tell these guys don't have much experience in tentpole films.
- The editing was really bad in places. At least 2 action scenes where I felt a headache coming on from how incoherent it was. Also tons of shots where continuity doesn't match to the point of distraction, like Brie's half-way through a laugh and it cuts and she's looking all stern.
- The first half-hour really had me fearing the worst. It's just full of awful expository dialogue and rushes through SO many things. It was annoying to watch. I honestly think it's one of the most ill-conceived openings to any MCU movie so far.
- A lot of cringey forced quippy dialogue, a lot of it given to Carol, which is ironic given that people expected her to be "too serious" when honestly I thought the opposite was true. It reminded me of Age of Ultron where the "witty" dialogue was so relentless at times you could sense the actors mechanically going through the motions rather than being able to let it play naturally.
- Forgettable action sequences for the most part.
- CGI during the third act was pretty rough; Carol looked like a blurry digital blob when flying around, the shot when she's falling back towards Earth was horrible
- Totally wasting Annette Bening on a nothing role.
- Carol's origin story wasn't very interesting and I never really cared much about her as a character.
- Larson was kinda all over the place. I struggled to get a bead on what she was trying to do and I ended up wishing the character was written to be more stoic. I think this is way more the material/direction's fault than her because she's normally very good.
- The 90s nostalgia was laid on WAY too thick.
- Some embarrassing musical choices later on. Eye-rolled a bit at "Just a Girl" during a fight. "Come As You Are" also felt really tacked on for the sake of it. Reminded me of Suicide Squad where obvious songs are just thrown in with no cohesion.
- Agent Coulson de-aging looked way worse than Nick Fury's. Like the first few scenes I'd believe you if you told me he wasn't available for some reason and they just pasted his likeness over a stand-in.
- A bit underwhelmed by the mid-credits scene. Her just showing up was so anti-climactic and it was clearly just a scene taken from Endgame (that's always disappointing).
- The new Ronan makeup was SO bad. It just looked like they slapped some blue paint on Lee Pace, especially during the close-ups at the end. Didn't look anywhere near as cool or nuanced as in GOTG.

I feel like it was neither the trainwreck the haters wanted it to be nor the 4/5-star coming out party for the character its fans wanted. If we're comparing female-led superhero movies, Wonder Woman felt so much more confident and assured than this in pretty much every way, which is surprising.

You pretty much nailed all my complaints about the film. I enjoyed it quite a bit overall, but it was certainly uneven and most of the problems were unfortunately around the titular character.

I also wasn't a huge fan of how dumb and weak they made Fury seem. I know MCU isn't the same and this is supposed to be Carol's movie, but there's no way Nicholas Joseph Fury couldn't beat a Skrull in one on one combat. It's a relatively minor complaint since I really loved Sam Jackson overall, but it got a reaction from me just the same.

Definitely looking forward to seeing her in the Russo's hands. Much like Strange, we got a small taste of an incredibly powerful character at their beginnings, and she will have had plenty of time to practice (and possibly better action direction) in Endgame.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Just another good ass MCU film. You know what sucks tho. The fact that Monica will be in her 30s in the current times cause I would of loved watching her and Cassie Lang interact cause those where two awesome daughters in the MCU.

I am really curious how they'll handle the supporting cast in Captain Marvel for the inevitable sequel. They would have to age Maria up into her late 40s and recast Monica completely.

Last edited: