• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Is it bad I'm waiting for Slayven to watch it so I can mention "Auntie Carol"
so how do they explain Carol's age? just "I got Kree goo in me now so I age slower"?
Or the Tesseract made her different and now she's eternal

There's like a billion different reasons for either not aging and not being here

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't change the fact that Fury never tried to contact her in previous conflicts, even if she couldn't answer. I understand that Fury wouldn't use the pager for something minor but an alien attack as in Avengers I certainly calls for a cosmic help.
I guess it didn't, but that will always remain a thing where there's 10 years between movies and I doubt they knew they wanted Captain Marvel way back then. Or Fury had faith in his Avenger Initiative and only called her after they were defeated or something. It's something that will be a plothole-ish if you want it to be, but I don't mind it at all.
the mid credit scene is taken directly from Endgame, right?
Most definitely.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I think I was about to tear up twice. First with the "Thank you Stan Lee." And when Maria Rambeau came forward to talk about her and Carol's friendship and what it used to be and how it's been in these 6 years. That whole friendship between Maria and Carol was the emotional core of this movie.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One thing they didn't cover, several space ships orbited and landed on earth, on top of warheads being launched at the US. Wtf did the US military or NASA do about that lol ?

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I did thought
It doesn't change the fact that Fury never tried to contact her in previous conflicts, even if she couldn't answer. I understand that Fury wouldn't use the pager for something minor but an alien attack as in Avengers I certainly calls for a cosmic help.
That's what the avengers are made for and it was like an hour tops contained in one city it wasn't that serious at least yet

If the invasion actually got bad and avengers failed I'm sure he would (he wouldn't because retcon obviously)

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I half expected the Stan Lee tribute to not make it into an MCU movie until Endgame, but I guess it's fair to have it here. It was well executed, it gave me a hearty chuckle the second I first noticed him in the logo, but then it kept on going and I slowly realized what they were going for I was like "oh....."

I suspect Endgame's credits will wrap up with another "dedicated to Stan Lee and Jack Kirby" kinda thing, as that's the series they both created and this is the franchise going out at it's highest note - for the time being anyway.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I half expected the Stan Lee tribute to not make it into an MCU movie until Endgame, but I guess it's fair to have it here. It was well executed, it gave me a hearty chuckle the second I first noticed him in the logo, but then it kept on going and I slowly realized what they were going for I was like "oh....."

I suspect Endgame's credits will wrap up with another "dedicated to Stan Lee and Jack Kirby" kinda thing, as that's the series they both created and this is the franchise going out at it's highest note - for the time being anyway.
He died relatively recent they probably don't want to seem heartless or whatever considering they have a cameo and decided why not

I know they filmed all his scenes ahead of time because he was old but they seemed to linger on his cameo

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I guess it didn't, but that will always remain a thing where there's 10 years between movies and I doubt they knew they wanted Captain Marvel way back then. Or Fury had faith in his Avenger Initiative and only called her after they were defeated or something. It's something that will be a plothole-ish if you want it to be, but I don't mind it at all.

Fury was trying to stop a nuke from launching with a 9 mm. It's the definition of desperate.

We can't really expect everything to line up.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I loved seeing Ronan shitting his kree-pants.
Also great the good old "you have to fight me mano a mano to really win" by Law, followed by a "lol" and a DBZ blast sending him in the mountain.
I love the moment

For a second I thought they were going to do it because it's such a cliche and they built it up beforehand

But nope lol her saying I don't have anything to prove to the ass was so satisfying (like she destroyed a spaceship fuck his mano to mano shit)

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
I enjoyed the movie much more than I expected. The relationship with Monica was done really well and I would have liked to see more of that. The third act was the weakest, but had the best moment with the taunt getting rejected.

I'll probably place it around the upper tier of the MCU, but then again I'm a weirdo that places Ant-Man and Dr Strange in the upper tier as well

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I love the moment

For a second I thought they were going to do it because it's such a cliche and they built it up beforehand

But nope lol her saying I don't have anything to prove to the ass was so satisfying (like she destroyed a spaceship fuck his mano to mano shit)

To me that was Carol's equavalent of StarLord's danceoff, Dr Strange's trapping Dormamu and Coulson's killing of Garett in AoS, for those who watched that. It was great and rounds up her character arc very well.

Speaking of Kree, I was initially sadden by Coulson mentioning the Kree because it felt like it was his first time meeting them in AoS but then as I type I remembered that he was in charge of Project Tahiti and would know that the formula made to save people who died came from the Kree. He just has memory laspses because they altered his memory and can't remember everything. At least that shall be my head canon as an AoS fan.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fury was trying to stop a nuke from launching with a 9 mm. It's the definition of desperate.

We can't really expect everything to line up.
Is he expecting Carol to come propelling from multiple galaxies to combat a warhead that's about to blow up in minutes? By the time she shows up there likely won't even be anything to save. His first instinct is to contact Tony because he's more than well equipped to handle it.

The post-credits sequence in Captain Marvel clearly takes place hours, if not days after Fury sends the signal.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It makes sense for Fury to only activate this at the end of Infinity War. The Avengers are broken up. Tony is missing. Shield is effectively not around. Everyone is turning into dust, including himself.

There's really no point to ponder over why he didn't use the pager anyway. This is like the complaint about how the Avengers are not in every movie.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
It's my impression Carol can travel at lightspeed since she was made of the same Tesseract source as the lightspeed engines. I thought that was what they were going for showing her fly so fast at the end and then showing the spaceship doing a lightspeed move.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland

Something you personally lack the imagination to explain isn't a plot hole. We know we didn't see Nick Fury attempting to contact Captain Marvel in the Avengers film. It's wrong to infer from that that he didn't try. It's also possible that he didn't know that he couldn't rely on her aid at that time and therefore didn't try.

You may as well infer that Tony Stark doesn't need to use the toilet because you never see him using it on film.

Cocamantis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I really liked the movie despite its flaws. Carol has a huge potential in the MCU and cannot wait to see her in "Endgame".

Also it's pretty obvious that this breed of skrulls won't be the only one we'll see (can't remember the name of the one that can mimic someone elses powers and I'm willing to bet those will be the ones invading Earth and wrecking shit)

El Toporo

Oct 25, 2017
Damn. I loved, loved, loved the movie.

Its flawed, e.g. I feel like they tried to cram too much into the movie, but damn, I've been waiting for this movie for more than four years and I just sat there with a huge smile on my face.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
All the talk about why Captain Marvel didn't turn up or got summon for this and that got me thinking about how she would have been if she really did. I think that she would have been able to handle the whole Chitauri invasion on her own without needing any help from any Avenger, took the bomb through the portal like Iron Man did and then wreck even more damage to the Chitauri.

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
Saw this some ten hours ago and the more I think it over, the more I love it.

Quick history of my Captain Marvel love: I read Marvel comics a lot as a kid, but that was back in the 80'ies. I started reading them around 83, I think, and then stopped somewhere around 5 or 6 years later when my teenage hormones kicked in and I found other stuff to worry about. I mostly read localized titles, so those where curated and picked by a local publisher. It was a weird mix with Spider-Man and X-Men bring regular series and then random curated stuff released in between those. Captain Marvel became a favourite of mine. But I have never read most of the problematic stuff that I have seen referenced on this forum. Leading up to Civil War I read some of the anthologies of that, and felt I could hardly recognize her as a character.
I have seen and liked/loved every MCU movie and love seeing the stories of my childhood brought to live again. (And also hate seeing my then favourite series X-Men just basically sucking more with each movie. Logan excluded.)

This movie was fucking great:

- The Danvers & Rambeau+daughter friendship was so well done. Daughter pushing mom out the door brought a tear to my eye.
- Goose needs a fucking solo movie.
- Deaging was amazing. The places it got jarring for me was Son of Coul in the last scenes, where he suddenly looked plastic-like for a while, and then not so much visually, but with Fury fighting at the Pegasus base, where he seemed to move with less grace than I would expect a prime Fury to do.
- Final fight was great. While she did fuck up one of the ships that the entire nova fleet could not hold back in GotG, I was happy so see it wasn't just her solo beating an entire fleet as the trailers suggested.
- Rambeaus manoeuvre in the dog fight was fucking awesome.
- "I have nothing to prove to you".

A few things I didn't entirely get or didn't pay enough attention to was:

- Her "unlocking" her powers. She pulls out the chip in the virtual space with the supreme intelligence. This apparently unlocks it in the real world as well? We just saw it used against her in the real world before - how does her virtual act on it unlock it it for real allowing her to break free?
- The Tesseract. As I remember it it couldn't be simply handled in the previous movies? Or am I just conflating that with the stones in general (as in, the tesseract is encased and we see Thanos having to crush the "case" to put it in his glove.) Now both Captain Marvel and Goose can handle it just fine. Am I remembering that wrong or are those two just that powerful?

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
So, I saw it... and I didn't like it. Thought it was easily the least interesting Marvel movie of the last few years.

The first 90-100 minutes absolutely nothing interesting happened. People keep saying Carol's friendships were so well done, but honestly I don't see it. The movie has a serious issue with "Show, don't tell". You don't see Carol bond with anybody, it just shows you a flashback and tells you "Okay, these were best friends, just trust us on this" and just assumes the audience en masse will buy this.

Same with the relation between her and Fury. You don't see them become friends. Fury sees an alien, immediately believes Carol and Carol is immediately completely trustworthy of Fury (and has a suspicious amount of knowledge about earthly things for someone who claims to remember nothing).

The Skrulls as a threat aren't threatening at all, which makes sense with the twist, but it does leave a huge part of the movie without a real feeling of conflict. Oooh, four Skrulls landed on earth, what are they going to do? I guess they were banking on the audience being completely mesmerized by Carol discovering her past, but we already know most of that past through the Skrull-induced memory flashes, so the audience doesn't share any of her discoveries.

The twist is also very weirdly placed in the MCU. I mean, I guess the Skrull-twist could be neat for fans of the comics? But really, the Kree stuff is super obvious for anybody who has seen Guardians of the Galaxy where the Kree Empire is literally called an 'evil Empire' and the Accusers are literally called terrorists. Gee, I wonder if they turn out to be not as heroic as they claim they are? Hmmm...

But the worst I found the actual climactic battle. First off, how Carol unlocks her powers is just the most cliché thing ever. The "You're just a human"-stuff is so played out that I think it was already used as a joke in actual movies from the 90's. Like, come on man, are you really going to do a scene like that in freaking 2019? And then you have Carol battling everybody while the song that every single movie from the 90's and early 00's played when a woman is kicking ass plays.

And then finally, of course, what we've all been waiting for, the big supersaiyan moment of Carol and it's just a very obvious, fully CGI render of Carol flying around smashing spaceships for 30 seconds. Yay?

Wonder Woman was miles ahead of this stuff.

It's such a shame, too because last year Marvel showed that it actually knows how to do good, empowering movies. While I might have had some issues with Black Panther, at least it was a very powerful statement and in showing black exceptionalism as the most normal thing in the world it sent a powerful message. Captain Marvel seems to constantly try to reaffirm it's message. I lost count of how many times somebody says "Carol has always been strong" "You are stronger than you think" etc. or how many times she shut down a man for telling her what to do (or the "subtle" jab at Hollywood's treatment of women with her blasting a poster of True Lies).

I mean, points for trying, but why do you have to tell us Carol is awesome so many times? Just show it! Don't wait for the final ten minutes of the movie to finally show what she can do.

Last edited:

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
That Skrull twist seems weird to me. They just completely removed any chance of having a Secret Invasion like story, unless theres another shape-shifter race in the MCU. Im sure it works in the context of the movie, and it is a good way to turn things on their head for fans of the comics. But man, Secret Invasion would have been a great storyline to do imo.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I know it's a minor complaint, but didn't like named SHIELD in this movie... since thought didn't come up with that moniker until Iron Man.

That aside, the movie was fine.

Like at some point, chasing a random thing that turns out to be an Infinity Stone/gem gets eh... especially since we know what happens to it.

I did like the main Kree and Monica and Maria were fun. The bits with Goose near the end were cool too.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
They did Captain Marvel right. Mar-Vell is now a woman, so she didn´t got her powers from a man. Brie was great. Great final confrontation between her and Yonn-Rogg, that line sets her persona right. Nice connections to past and future Marvel characters (Photon, Avengers, ect)

The bads: they tried to crunch too much into a movie, so everything feels like a rush or forced. Friendship between Carol and Fury developed almost right away. Fury losing his eye felt out of place, he already knew what Goose was capable to. Mar-Vell secret project seens off, because they were looking to develop a FTL engine? I got that the Krees uses portals in this movie, but every ship on previous movies seems capable of FTL travel.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I liked it a lot, way more than I thought I would. Probably one of my favorite single-hero Marvel movies......easily top 3 at least.

I loved Goose and Carol, as well as the main Skrull dude.

It's kind of unclear to me -- why were the Skrulls trying to kill Carol at the beginning of the film (after she lands on Earth) if they knew she was some important part of the puzzle?

Where did the Tesseract go to after 1996? I haven't seen the Thor films so maybe it's explained there.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
That Skrull twist seems weird to me. They just completely removed any chance of having a Secret Invasion like story, unless theres another shape-shifter race in the MCU. Im sure it works in the context of the movie, and it is a good way to turn things on their head for fans of the comics. But man, Secret Invasion would have been a great storyline to do imo.

I don't feel that way at all. THESE Skrulls might be good, but they have a queen and a super soldier program, one that they likely will jump start when they regroup and vow to never be the underdog again.

The seeds were absolutely planted for what could become Secret Invasion.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Just got back. Pretty mixed on it overall. The start was REALLY rough but I thought the middle section had a lot of good stuff in it in particular. I think I'd give it about a 6.5/10. I agree with how the critical average ranks it in the lower-middle of the MCU movies. It's basically around Ant-Man/Thor quality...which isn't really what you want for an origin story of the most powerful entity in the MCU.

The Good:
+ The Stan Lee intro was great and the Mallrats cameo was hilarious.
+ Samuel L. Jackson fucking kills it. The film improves immeasurably the moment he shows up.
+ The digital de-aging on SLJ was absolutely ridiculous and I can't believe how good it looked.
+ Letting Ben Mendelsohn use his Aussie accent LMAO
+ Talos being WAY more interesting than I expected from the marketing. Dug it.
+ The actress who played Maria gave the best performance in the film even though her character was pretty thin. Her emoting during several scene was just spot on and made Carol seem kinda bland by comparison.
+ Some cool musical choices (some not, but more on that later).
+ The cat was hilarious. Glad they included the alien aspect.
+ The closing title sequence was AWESOME.
+ The original score was really, really cool. One of the most memorable in a while.
+ A cat causing Fury's eye injury. LMAO

The Bad:
- The direction was really flat for almost the entire movie. There was so little personality to most of the shots and a lot of the action/dialogue coverage was super sloppy and ugly. You can tell these guys don't have much experience in tentpole films.
- The editing was really bad in places. At least 2 action scenes where I felt a headache coming on from how incoherent it was. Also tons of shots where continuity doesn't match to the point of distraction, like Brie's half-way through a laugh and it cuts and she's looking all stern.
- The first half-hour really had me fearing the worst. It's just full of awful expository dialogue and rushes through SO many things. It was annoying to watch. I honestly think it's one of the most ill-conceived openings to any MCU movie so far.
- A lot of cringey forced quippy dialogue, a lot of it given to Carol, which is ironic given that people expected her to be "too serious" when honestly I thought the opposite was true. It reminded me of Age of Ultron where the "witty" dialogue was so relentless at times you could sense the actors mechanically going through the motions rather than being able to let it play naturally.
- Forgettable action sequences for the most part.
- CGI during the third act was pretty rough; Carol looked like a blurry digital blob when flying around, the shot when she's falling back towards Earth was horrible
- Totally wasting Annette Bening on a nothing role.
- Carol's origin story wasn't very interesting and I never really cared much about her as a character.
- Larson was kinda all over the place. I struggled to get a bead on what she was trying to do and I ended up wishing the character was written to be more stoic. I think this is way more the material/direction's fault than her because she's normally very good.
- The 90s nostalgia was laid on WAY too thick.
- Some embarrassing musical choices later on. Eye-rolled a bit at "Just a Girl" during a fight. "Come As You Are" also felt really tacked on for the sake of it. Reminded me of Suicide Squad where obvious songs are just thrown in with no cohesion.
- Agent Coulson de-aging looked way worse than Nick Fury's. Like the first few scenes I'd believe you if you told me he wasn't available for some reason and they just pasted his likeness over a stand-in.
- A bit underwhelmed by the mid-credits scene. Her just showing up was so anti-climactic and it was clearly just a scene taken from Endgame (that's always disappointing).
- The new Ronan makeup was SO bad. It just looked like they slapped some blue paint on Lee Pace, especially during the close-ups at the end. Didn't look anywhere near as cool or nuanced as in GOTG.

I feel like it was neither the trainwreck the haters wanted it to be nor the 4/5-star coming out party for the character its fans wanted. If we're comparing female-led superhero movies, Wonder Woman felt so much more confident and assured than this in pretty much every way, which is surprising.

Last edited:

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I don't feel that way at all. THESE Skrulls might be good, but they have a queen and a super soldier program, one that they likely will jump start when they regroup and vow to never be the underdog again.

The seeds were absolutely planted for what could become Secret Invasion.
Ok, thats good to hear then. I should have specified I hadnt seen the movie yet and saw that spoiler on accident today.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would have killed to have Carol fight Ronan instead her tossing Jude Law and friends around like ragdolls.

Whoever decided on the I'm Just A Girl part needs to be shot out of orbit into the sun.

Still enjoyable, I liked Carol more than I expected, I dreaded comic Carol.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Just got back. I liked it a lot. It's better than Doctor Strange and both Ant Man movies for me at least. I loved Brie Larson. She was a lot of fun in the role. Same with Samuel L Jackson. That de-aging tech is pretty spooky.

I wasn't a fan of the ugly CGI (pretty much everything with Goose plus the tentacles. It looked horrendous in motion). Probably the most eyerolly part for me personally was playing that "I'm just a girl" part during the action scene. Lol. it almost felt like a parody.

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How will this affect the Super Skrull, if they eventually bring him in? Just have him be a rogue Skrull?

Since they're all scattered about it isn't that unbelievable to think that radicals are out there, in fact I fully expect there to be an exposition from Talos about "evil" Skrulls somewhere down the line.

Last edited:

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
What was the catalyst for carol changing her suit colors?

Went to go pee while she was talking with Monica and Fury was asking Telos to change into a plant when I got back.

jmood88

Oct 28, 2017
I can't wait to see what the Russo's do with Carol. Also, the main Skrull guy was great; I really wasn't expecting them to turn out to be the good guys.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What was the point of the "Captain Marvel will return in Avengers: Endgame" title card?

Yeah, obviously she's going to return in the next Avengers movie, you just showed us a scene from it 2 seconds ago.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
What was the point of the "Captain Marvel will return in Avengers: Endgame" title card?

Yeah, obviously she's going to return in the next Avengers movie, you just showed us a scene from it 2 seconds ago.

Actually was the other way around, no? The movie ends with the "return", then start credits, then mid-credits scene.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully Carol has a better entrance in Endgame.

Because that was....anticlimatic.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully Carol has a better entrance in Endgame.

Because that was....anticlimatic.

I presume we will first see her as she is dealing with the fallout of another planet losing half of its living beings.

When you think about it, it's weird that their excuse for her leaving Earth for 25 years is that "other planets needed her more"......well every planet in the universe just took it on the chin from Thanos, so I'm not sure why she would suddenly give priority to Earth. Clearly every planet will be in mega-crisis mode.