• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I had a feeling there would be some kind of bait and switch with the Skrulls, the Kree's hands aren't exactly clean in the comics. I like Carol's connection to the initiative, and like even more that thousands of mouth-breathing losers will lose their shit.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
im gonna need a timeline on that tesseract. i thought it was in shield possession when stark took it out of the ocean at the end of TFA

Mar-Vell took it from Project Pegasus (SHIELD) to work on her lightspeed engine. It came back to SHIELD (Fury) personal possession via Goose. Fury present to Dr Selvig (Thor post credit), Loki stole it (Avengers) and Thor brings it along with Loki to Asgard. Loki stole it (Thor Ragnarok) and Thanos take it from Loki in Infinity War

Fury was just a low level SHIELD goon in this movie so its likely he have no idea about Project Pegasus

Last edited:

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I love it. It gives her meeting the Avengers a whole different meaning now.
I hope they'll show us Carol reacting to the Avengers name in Endgame, and it being an emotional moment.

I think my only disappointment with the movie right now is how little Minn-Erva was used, and how they just kills her off like that. That didn't feel good but I saw it coming.

So I take it Carol flew from the 90s to present day by flying with lightspeed herself, opposed to using a space ship with lightspeed like we saw at the end. Cause she was flying just as fast as the lightspeed-equipped ship with the Skrulls in it.

For all the "why didn't Fury page her when" questions, I have to wonder... When Carol was waging war on the Kree, what was she doing when Ronan, a disgraced Accuser, started working with Thanos and got a Infinity Stone? Why wasn't she concerned about Thanos' actions at all when he was carving a path through the galaxy?
These are fictional characters, so guess what: as a fan you have the privilege of filling in the gaps using your imagination. I dare say she might have been busy fighting an even bigger menace to the galaxy. Or maybe the writers will address that question in later films.
Couldn't it be that Carol is flying around space in the 90s now, but since she travels to Endgame in 2019, that she doesn't experience the 00s and 10s? But if she didn't time-travel to Endgame, then I guess she was just up to something else in the last 20 years.

Carol going all out near the end was also fun to see. Even if everything suddenly became very, very one-sided, it was fun to see a Marvel hero just flat out be better than her opponents. It's okay to have a catharsis hero who just beats up the bad guys.
I loved how she was laughing and having fun while beating up the space ships.

Last edited:

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Aw freaking dang it my little brother sent me a video that had both end credits scenes and I opened it without thinking cause I was drinking some water and wasn't paying attention to what the video was called.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I hope they'll show us Carol reacting to the Avengers name in Endgame, and it being an emotional moment.

By the way, I thought they should have stopped it when the Kree asks Ronan if he wants the Tesseract, but then it turns out he wants the "weapon," who's Carol instead. Didn't he just want the Tesseract in Guardians of the Galaxy?

I think my only disappointment with the movie right now is how little Minn-Erva was used, and how they just kills her off like that. That didn't feel good but I saw it coming.

So I take it Carol flew from the 90s to present day by flying with lightspeed herself, opposed to using a space ship with lightspeed like we saw at the end. Cause she was flying just as fast as the lightspeed-equipped ship with the Skrulls in it.

Couldn't it be that Carol is flying around space in the 90s now, but since she travels to Endgame in 2019, that she doesn't experience the 00s and 10s? But if she didn't time-travel to Endgame, then I guess she was just up to something else in the last 20 years.

I loved how she was laughing and having fun while beating up the space ships.

Yes, I think that would work. Although I have my own ideas, I didn't want to mention the possibility of time travel because I haven't yet seen Captain Marvel so I've no detailed knowledge. My point is that if you aren't told exactly what happens in fiction you have a chance to make up your own story.

This is why, no matter what the Doctor Strange comics may have to say about the provenance of his magic cloak, in my mind the cloak is Pyan, Vyr Cossont's familiar from the Iain Banks novel The Hydrogen Sonata. Don't ask me how she came to Earth and attached herself to Stephen Strange. I might tell you. At length.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
If that's a problem for you, what are you doing on this thread?
Well I didn't read all the posts and went straight to the bottom to post this lol. I'm able to focus on one post box. Plus this is the spoiler thread and I was thinking of posting it in the Marvel thread on EtcetEra Hangouts but that might not have been received too well.

I just didn't want to know the post credits scene.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Some thoughts on the movie

- I thought it was overall a sweet, funny, heartwarming movie that could've used a little more time in the oven to flesh out some parts, mostly in the opening, but overall I highly enjoyed it.
- Brie Larson as Captain Marvel is somewhat not written to the best of her extent with the story they're trying to tell, but that doesn't mean I don't feel the movie is making the most out of her despite that. She has a larger than life charisma to her that's hard to ignore. The line of her not having anything to prove was perfect, not simply because it can be taken as a sort of feminist declaration but because that's kind of how I felt about her character. She's easy going, she's strong, she's funny, and it all comes so natural to her. She makes it look easy.
- The change to the Skrulls is... well in the context of the movie I actually think it's a brilliant change but I can tell that this weekend's gonna be filled with hot takes about how Marvel are ruining the source material (because we know how some people are still upset about The Mandarin) and it's 100% gonna embolden some of the worse people out there who are smart enough to read between the lines.
- On that note, Ben Mendehlson as Talos was brilliant!
- I also loved Maria Rambeau and her daughter in this. I wish there was more of the both of them, they went directions with these two I couldn't expect but it was hard not to love the movie after these two were introduced. I get happy thoughts thinking about them.
- There's some really cool writing callbacks and visual references all around. I liked how Goose could tell it was Talos, and how Jackson was clued into it as well. Smart stuff.
- The retcon of where Nick Fury got the name for the Avengers was great. Carol clearly had a huge influence on him, and it definitely adds a layer of personal context to everything Fury's done up to this point in order to keep the team together. It's one of the few ways they can honor Carol's presence in the background of the MCU due to her being such a late arrival, and I think it's gonna be fun going back through the original Avengers to get that additional layer of why the project meant so much to him. I absolutely love this movie as a Nick Fury origin story.
- Marvel think they slick for shoving in a Street Fighter cabinet. Second generation MCU gonna lead to Marvel vs Capcom at this rate.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the "MCU ruining thing" would be the tesseract lol, not sure if it fits the chronology since it's supposed to be daddy Stark who retrieved it ?
The naming of the Avengers is perfectly fine.

I just wish in the post credit scene (which had bizarre editing..) she would ask where's Nicholas instead :)

luca

Oct 25, 2017
About the Kree-Skrull war. Skrulls do invade and take over planets, which the Krees don't like and so they hunt them down. And Talos' family and small group are just refugees of said war correct? So the information dump (about Skrulls invading planets) from the Supreme Intelligence in the start is also true, and not only a ploy to convince Carol to hunt down some Skrulls?

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
About the Kree-Skrull war. Skrulls do invade and take over planets, which the Krees don't like and so they hunt them down. And Talos' family and small group are just refugees of said war correct? So the information dump (about Skrulls invading planets) from the Supreme Intelligence in the start is also true, and not only a ploy to convince Carol to hunt down some Skrulls?
It's not very clear in the movie, I think they left that door open for future movies. Talos says his home got destroyed so they had to flee, also the first planet where Carol gets captured was also a hiding place I think.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
So wait does the pager page the undusted heroes as well? How the hell do they find that pager after everything has gone to complete shit and after however long it takes to leave Wakanda. Seems an odd choice rather than her just showing up where the gauntlet went off.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
It's not very clear in the movie, I think they left that door open for future movies. Talos says his home got destroyed so they had to flee, also the first planet where Carol gets captured was also a hiding place I think.
Well, I think they hide on all planets. Torfa is just another planet, where they can blend in with the civilization. So there must also be bad Skrulls out there who just want to take over planets, that they'll explore more in the future.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So wait does the pager page the undusted heroes as well? How the hell do they find that pager after everything has gone to complete shit and after however long it takes to leave Wakanda. Seems an odd choice rather than her just showing up where the gauntlet went off.
Huh ? They probably tracked Fury's last location and found the pager there
Could be Fury left them a "break glass in case of emergency" video or file or whatever too

Dinskugga

Nov 6, 2017
Haha Goose was freaking awesome. I thought it was gonna be something about the cat. But i didnt see THAT comming, When Goose showed his skills. Got some huge laughs :)

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I loved that Goose had a Groot corridor moment of just shaking up some baddies.

[edit] Oh wait. I just noticed Carol's suit has more gold (shoulder pads) in the mid-credits scene. I love how she can basically change the colors of her suit any moment.

Last edited:

Grzi

Oct 26, 2017
All the reveals were dope, the way they tied her up to the larger picture was amazing and I ate that shit up.
Carol is important, deal with it.
Movie was far from perfect but it's still great, definitely much better than expected. Could use an extra 30 minutes to flesh things out a bit, and the action could be better, the final "fight" was nice, everything else not so much, it seems the Russos really are the only ones working for Marvel that can direct an action sequence.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Side note but I liked the comment Rambeau's daughter made about wanting her mom to get on the ship to pilot it. There's always a lot of lip service being made about having super heroes be role models to people, and while I think there is value in fictitious characters that can inspire, the movie doesn't forget that having a grounded character like Rambeau who is capable of doing impressive humanly feats is perhaps just as, if not more worth aspiring to. Captain Marvel doesn't feel like she has anything to prove, conversely her best friend is a mother who feels like she does have to prove something as she's a parent, and she doesn't do it through super power mumbo jumbo but through showcasing how damn good of a pilot she is.

The more I think about the characters the more I really love them all. I feel like you have to be really jaded not to appreciate the good writing and how overall joyful and energetic the cast is.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
What I understood from this movie was that she's helping the Skrull find a new home...in a different Galaxy. If she wasn't in the same galaxy, she wouldn't have any means of knowing I think?
I'm not actually sure Marvel knows what a galaxy is. The Guardians of the Galaxy movies are supposed to take place in the Andromeda galaxy (at least according to Gunn), so Thanos must've been through at least Andromeda and the Milky Way. It's all a bit confusing.

As for what Carol has been doing... Maybe we'll find out? That pager had been going off for a while in the stinger, maybe Carol only decided it was time because the signal didn't stop. I dunno. :lol

Correct. SHIELD took possession of it. Avengers established that Project Pegasus was a secret SHIELD operation to study it. It was at Project Pegasus in the 90s when Mar-Vell was pretending to be a human scientist named Wendy Lawson working with it. It never left SHIELD possession.

That's very clear, thanks! So did SHIELD know about Mar-Vell, or did she play them?

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
User Banned (3 Days): Sharing Pirated Content
Not entirely sure if this is allowed but this is the post credits scene where they meet her.

Mod Edit: Removed Link

from the OP I assumed they were on the street where the pager dropped when she appeared but they are in Avengers HQ trying to figure out where the signal was being sent.

Last edited by a moderator:

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, thinking about the movie, there's something I forgot. So Mar-Vell had the Tesseract in the plane when she and Carol crashes. Carol proceeds to shoot the core/Tesseract. But how did it end up in that refugee ship? I don't remember.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, thinking about the movie, there's something I forgot. So Mar-Vell had the Tesseract in the plane when she and Carol crashes. Carol proceeds to shoot the core/Tesseract. But how did it end up in that refugee ship? I don't remember.
The core was made from the Tesseract but it wasn't the Tesseract itself. It was always up there on the ship since that's where she conducted her research. Mar-Vell just retrofitted the lab once it was clear she needed to use an off-the-grid facility to house refugees.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Just got back, quite liked it. Predictable story overall, but enjoyable. Pacing was great throughout, slow parts didn't feel too long, and neither did the action parts. Not a lot of laugh out loud moments, but a few "put a smile on your face moments" which I thought fit well.

And the de-aging technology has gotten so far, it's crazy. Though you could definitely notice the put more work into Fury than Coulson.

As for what Carol has been doing... Maybe we'll find out? That pager had been going off for a while in the stinger, maybe Carol only decided it was time because the signal didn't stop. I dunno. :lol

She could've been all the way across the galaxy, they did mention it can reach 3 galaxies away even, so it could've just taken a while for her to get back too.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like you can conjure up virtually any reason as to why Carol wasn't around for the last 10 years of movies. This movie establishes that she's been helping Skrull refugees across the universe, and Nick knows firsthand how important of a deal that is because he was there to witness it. He wanted to honor her legacy by assembling talented "avengers" like her and lead them into a better world, and he was lucky enough to find six by the time the first global threat rolled around. Sure, he it took time to get everyone on the same page but he succeeded. In Age of Ultron you think it'd be a situation that'd call for Carol being called in (and supposedly that was the original plan during development) but it seems like he's still confident in letting the Avengers clean up the mess, which could be a character flaw in a sense, but he already said in the first Avengers that the team concept was a madcap gamble on his end, and in retrospect I just see his actions as doubling down on that fact. Only in Infinity War when the threat is completely unknown and incomprehensible, at an unknown scale, does Nick finally pull out his ace in the hole, given that he knows Iron Man is gone now, and every other Avenger is off the grid.

As for other movies? Guardians of the Galaxy is the one people bring up now because of Ronan, but again I think the simple explanation to a lot of these events is that they usually only cover the span of days - sometimes not even that - and there's no possible way for someone like Carol to account for Ronan to come across an infinity stone on a specific day in a specific corner of the galaxy that will be used on a very specific planet. Especially if Xandarians don't even know Captain Marvel exists. Though I'm sure Carol has likely heard some tales of Thanos in the grapevine.

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Ok just saw it, and found it to be alright, yet I'm confused with all the Tesseract business. I remember Loki/Thor end up with it yet I don't recall who had it before and what is the supposed explanation as to how it left Nick Fury's office after we see Goose throwing it up at the end.

Also I know they probably had no idea of creating this film way back when, but I'd be interested to know the explanation as to where Goose has been all this time in the other movies where we see Fury since the movie ends with Goose staying in Fury's office. Or is it thought that Goose died at some stage? I'm not sure of a Flerken's lifespan, and if it is possible for them to be alive today.

Also is Captain Marvel somehow immortal? I couldn't quite figure out the deal there as she'll be looking the same in Avenger's Endgame as she did in this film.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't think the Skrulls were necessarily "good," Talos himself admitted how dirty his hands were. This was just a smaller group seeking escape from the war with the Kree as refugees. Most of the Skrulls on the cloaked ship seemed to be women and children.

I liked how it parallels how Fury pointed out Carol's agenda. Both Carol and Talos are warriors and soldiers stuck in a war but that doesn't mean that they cannot have their own personal agendas that are contrary to what the larger part of what each side wants. It doesn't mean all Skrulls are ok, it just means that Skrulls are not some collective hivemind who all want the same thing and that there's really no side that can call themselves morally good in a war.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ok just saw it, and found it to be alright, yet I'm confused with all the Tesseract business. I remember Loki/Thor end up with it yet I don't recall who had it before and what is the supposed explanation as to how it left Nick Fury's office after we see Goose throwing it up at the end.

Also I know they probably had no idea of creating this film way back when, but I'd be interested to know the explanation as to where Goose has been all this time in the other movies where we see Fury since the movie ends with Goose staying in Fury's office. Or is it thought that Goose died at some stage? I'm not sure of a Flerken's lifespan, and if it is possible for them to be alive today.

Also is Captain Marvel somehow immortal? I couldn't quite figure out the deal there as she'll be looking the same in Avenger's Endgame as she did in this film.

The tessaract possession goes like this if I am right:
Zola/Red Skull possess it, then taken by Howard Stark (Captain America 1)
Howard Stark co-found SHIELD, transfer possession to SHIELD Project Pegasus
Mar-vell took it to research, it gets swallow by Goose, Goose spill it on Fury desk (Captain Marvel)
Fury show it to Dr Selvig (Thor post credit)
Loki stole it from Fury/Project Pegasus, got captured and Thor lock it in Odin Vault (Avengers)
Loki stole it from Odin Vault (Thor Ragnarok)
Thanos took it from Loki (Infinity War)

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I believe by the time of Captain Marvell, the Skrull were already defeated and no longer a threat, and they were just hiding, but the Kree wants to drive them to extinction

Supreme Intelligence just paint the picture that Skrull is still a major menace who is still actively taking over planets

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Saw it tonight, enjoyed it although I had the biggest roll-eye moment and my enjoyment nearly died when the Kree were revealed as the villains.
It won me back a bit by the finale as I did really enjoy watching Saiyan Carol.

Can't help but feel that the Kree/Skrull war and Invasion deserved a bit better though. 'They Live' in the MCU could be fun and it only got half a film... :/
Been meaning to read the Secret Invasion comic storyline its based from for awhile now, but haven't yet.

Otherwise, the Flerken joke was arguably the only thing I enjoyed out of the DeConnick run of Cap Marvel(which I did read), so was happy it got a shout out. Though part of the fun of that joke in the comics was the endless torment that Rocket Raccoon was giving Carol about it...and of course the eventual payoff. They tried something similar with Mendelsohn, but it wasn't close to matching. Still, its a good gag and the theater clearly agreed.

Also didn't quite feel I grew to care about Danver's past. Though I appreciated the attempt to make her origin a mystery to unravel unlike the other MCU films, you never have a moment to grow attached to those meant to be close to her. You meet these people and are meant to follow along when are told how important they all were, but none of the emotion resonated. Though I found the finale effective with the montage of her rising to challenges at different phases of her childhood. But the silliness with A.I. Benning and even the Rambou fam didn't work for me.

Overall, still enjoyed it and the reaction from the theater was equally positive walking out. Goose was a hit overhearing the crowd on my way back to the car.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Who else got a "larger-than-life" feeling from Carol floating in space in front of Ronan? It was great.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Saw the movie yesterday night. I enjoyed it a ton. I loved how they told the origins of her powers even though it boiled down to "blasted by energy".

Can anyone explain what that cat(flergul) thing was. I don't know enough lore. Also I assume it was that doctor's pet cat which is why it was in that building.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly, I think they were trying to provide a valid reason why she wasn't involved in any of the other MCU movies or conflict present there by just placing her outside of their realm.

It doesn't change the fact that Fury never tried to contact her in previous conflicts, even if she couldn't answer. I understand that Fury wouldn't use the pager for something minor but an alien attack as in Avengers I certainly calls for a cosmic help.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I think it's perfectly fine Nick Fury doesn't call Carol in The Avengers. He has just put together his own team of superheroes that he believes in. He counts on the Avengers and they fulfill their job. No need to call Carol. Only in Infinity War where he is basically dying does it make sense to call for his last hope, Carol.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I think it's perfectly fine Nick Fury doesn't call Carol in The Avengers. He has just put together his own team of superheroes that he believes in. He counts on the Avengers and they fulfill their job. No need to call Carol. Only in Infinity War where he is basically dying does it make sense to call for his last hope, Carol.

At the moment of the snap you can say that he is aware that he is dying but he wouldn't not know that his heroes are defeated and half of them basically dead.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
At the moment of the snap you can say that he is aware that he is dying but he wouldn't not know that his heroes are defeated and half of them basically dead.
The entire world knew that Tony had disappeared into deep space, it was broadcasted over national news and Fury talks about it with Maria Hill that they're failing to establish contact with him. According to Steve at the time, Iron Man was literally the earth's strongest defender, they were handicapped without him. Vision had left the team and wasn't able to be contacted, and they couldn't get in touch with Rhodey either because he performed mutiny. Captain America and his team had gone rogue and off the grid, and outside of Wakanda, no one knows whether Bruce Banner (who can't Hulk out regardless) or Thor are still even around.

The world is collectively being dusted by an omnipresent force and he has no way of getting in touch with any of the Avengers. He would know that Captain Marvel is literally his only remaining hope.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Putting this thread on watch for now since I'll be watching it tonight. Damn it's been forever with the MCU feels like.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
the mid credit scene is taken directly from Endgame, right?

I really like the movie. Many of the attempted jokes really land for me and my friend. I'm actually feeling a bit bad for other people in theater because a friend of mine laugh pretty hard during some scenes.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

I really like the movie. Many of the attempted jokes really land for me and my friend. I'm actually feeling a bit bad for other people in theater because a friend of mine laugh pretty hard during some scenes.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
so how do they explain Carol's age? just "I got Kree goo in me now so I age slower"?

luca

Oct 25, 2017
so how do they explain Carol's age? just "I got Kree goo in me now so I age slower"?
Yes. Didn't the Supreme Intelligence say in one of the trailers "you live longer," while getting that blood transfusion. None of which were in the actual movie. Also funny how my two favorite shots from the trailers weren't even in the movie.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

That scene where Fury get's his eye scratched the fuck out and the Skrull is like nah that aint no scratch had me laugh and then the case of eyeballs just had me dying.