• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

Kotaku has new ownership. Private equity firm Great Hill Partners today announced that it has acquired the Gizmodo Media Group from Univision Communications in an all equity transaction, details of which were not disclosed.

The deal will see the Gizmodo Media Group -- including Gizmodo, Kotaku, Deadspin, Jezebel, and others -- and Univision's satirical humor site The Onion brought together as a new company named G/O Media, led by James Spanfeller, who has previously held senior positions with Ziff Davis, Forbes.com, Yahoo Internet Life, and Inc. Magazine. Spanfeller is also a significant investor in G/O Media.

"This opportunity comes at a time when the entire digital media category is beginning to be recognized again for its unique ability to meet the diverse content and delivery needs of consumers and advertisers," Spanfeller said. "As the largest player in our space, G/O Media is in an ideal position to capitalize on this dynamic, and I am excited to collaborate with a great team that boasts an incredible track record to further expand our reach, add value to our advertisers and enrich our visitors' lives. G/O Media is already the leader among digital media companies speaking to the 10-to-34 year-old market, and we are confident and excited to see that lead expand."

According to the Writers Guild of America East, which represents more than 200 employees of Gizmodo Media Group and The Onion, G/O Media will recognize the contracts those groups' unions recently reached with Univision. The Onion Union struck its deal in December, while the Gizmodo Media Group Union ratified its contract in March.

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I love the unique ability to meet the diverse content and delivery needs of consumers and advertisers.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
I love the unique ability to meet the diverse content and delivery needs of consumers and advertisers.
That sounds creepy. We're all just gears in capitalism consuming media to build ad revenue to increase profits and keep people employed. As someone who writes for a website myself, advertisements are a necessary evil I suppose. On the other hand, I'm glad Kotaku and the rest of the sister websites continue to stay afloat.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Not a terribly good track record by Spanfeller, but thank god they recognized the union contracts. What a ride for everyone that's been there since the Hogan lawsuit.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Not a terribly good track record by Spanfeller, but thank god they recognized the union contracts. What a ride for everyone that's been there since the Hogan lawsuit.
Geez, I forgot that was the tipping point for so much. Gawker's existence feels like ancient history.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
A PE group going for an all equity purchase? W...hat? Has anyone else ever heard of that?

Last edited:

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know anything about this Spanfeller....uh...feller?
He's the former chief executive of Forbes, president of consumer magazines at Ziff Davis, ex-chairman of the Interactive Advertising Bureau, chairman of the Interactive Advertising Bureau, and founded a media group that owned a few smaller cites before being bought by Tribune Publishing.

Apparently it's being sold for much less than what Univision originally paid for it, and there's plans to add some sort of subscription model.

Adam Tyner

Oct 25, 2017
Awww. I was hoping Gannett's interest in an acquisition would've gone somewhere. Would've been fun to be corporate siblings.

BUNTING1243

Oct 25, 2017
lotta people in this thread were really shitty about Gawker Media during the Hogan trial. I hope people have realized how bad of a take that was.

fuck private equity and fuck the media industry

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
lotta people in this thread were really shitty about Gawker Media during the Hogan trial. I hope people have realized how bad of a take that was.

fuck private equity and fuck the media industry
There aren't a ton of articles laying out the specifics of the deal structure, but from that CNN one it might not be quite as rough a PE deals can be.

Anacaona

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why did they sell it so quickly?
Univision is trash. They losing viewership (Millennial are not interested in watching Univision and/or Novelas). They somehow thought that by buying Gawker, they would get some of that sweet internet ad revenue. .

Univision is bleeding.

Last edited:

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, I hope not. It's a popular group of sites but monetizing it in that way is going to kill it.
We'll have to see. In the source I found on it, it did seem vague, but he mentions "advertisers [fair; programmatic is the way to go and they already do ads], eCommerce partners[I guess the sponcon they do and the affiliate links can count?] or subscription efforts[wait hmm]".

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if they're gonna go the Apple News route? I'm subscribed and all, but I don't want to see something free get locked behind a paywall.

Ffog

Feb 5, 2018
Yikes. Private equity doesn't have a great track record in helping media companies thrive.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Acquisitions by these groups is all about growing the value of the investment and selling it for more. Expect change and layoffs to go down one people evaluate all the business.

This. In my experience, private equity firms are in the money making business. Period. They care very little about the product inasmuch as they want to maximize profits in the quickest amount of time and then sell as quick as possible. In fact, for many of these firms, the mission statement on their websites explicitly espouse the virtues of selling for a profit within 5-10 years. At least that is the case in the healthcare sector. The timeframe may be more compressed in a field as volatile as tech and tech media. I expect a great deal of "streamlining for efficiency" with this new Gawker deal (i.e. cuts and restructuring).

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
This. In my experience, private equity firms are in the money making business. Period. They care very little about the product inasmuch as they want to maximize profits in the quickest amount of time and then sell as quick as possible. In fact, for many of these firms, the mission statement on their websites explicitly espouse the virtues of selling for a profit within 5-10 years. At least that is the case in the healthcare sector. The timeframe may be more compressed in a field as volatile as tech and tech media. I expect a great deal of "streamlining for efficiency" with this new Gawker deal (i.e. cuts and restructuring).
Time horizon in tech and media is 3-5 years in my experience (although their website says 3-7 years). What makes this odd is that it's apparently "all-equity" - equity is the most expensive way of financing a deal to begin with, and most PE takeovers are a mix of cash and debt as the basis of how they work, leveraging the debt to pay off over time (also the easiest to pin down as a value increase function pre-purchase), which *could* point to a less crushing method of handling (as they'd be less up against the ropes with lenders). Streamlining, we'll have to see. Probably at least some, but also some more aggressive monetization tactics.

Last edited:

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Alot more of this will probably be happening. Too many media groups in many different spaces.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you ask me, Hogan should have shut down all those websites.
Think of the heel heat he'd get, brother.