• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
No idiots like you are to blame.

The University of Alabama has reported more than 560 coronavirus cases across its Tuscaloosa campus since classes resumed last week, according to local reports. AL.com reports that the school published a new COVID-19 dashboard Monday night which showed 566 coronavirus cases since last Wednesday. That figure doesn't include entry testing, which at the main campus found 310 positive cases among its nearly 30,000 students. UA president Stuart Bell said Monday that student behavior was not to blame for the spike in cases, saying: "Our challenge is not the students... Our challenge is the virus and there's a difference, folks."
www.thedailybeast.com

University of Alabama Reports Over 500 COVID-19 Cases in One Week

That figure doesn’t include entry testing, which at the main campus found 310 positive cases.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I swear, this country is run by fools. What did they expect? Too much wishful thinking.

Realyst

Oct 27, 2017
They KNEW this would happen. They just wanted that on-campus tuition from students before they shut the campus down.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
There was a letter flying around on social media where the admin's at Syracuse were kind of shaming the students for pulling party shenanigans on some 'They want you to fail!' (c) DJ Khaled.

It's just odd for a bunch of adults to put the onus on stopping a pandemic on a bunch of 18 year olds paying tens of thousands of dollars to effectively be grounded in a dorm room.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
For some comparison, The U. of Alabama had 560 cases between Wednesday and Monday, which is roughly the same as the entire state of Connecticut in that same period. Or, about half that of the entire state of Massachusetts in that period. U. of Bama has a student population of about 40,000. The populations of CT and MA are about 3.5million and 6.9million respectively.

560 cases between Wednesday and MOnday is more cases than the entire individual states of Vermont, Connecticut, Maine, New Hampshire, Montana, Rhode Island, Alaska, West Virginia, territories of Guam, the US Virgin Islands, and the District of Columbia.

I'm getting really tired of seeing all these school outbreaks...

Sadly, it's only going to get worse. Most American colleges don't fully go back until the first week of September. Though, thankfully, thousands of colleges have delayed or partial re-openings, but still you're going to see more and more cases like this.

A key problem with colleges, too, is that they're vectors for travel. Students go back to college from their home states or countries, and then if they return back -- say the school closes -- they're going to bring the virus back to where they live, and usually cross through several major travel points.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
There was a letter flying around on social media where the admin's at Syracuse were kind of shaming the students for pulling party shenanigans on some 'They want you to fail!' (c) DJ Khaled.

It's just odd for a bunch of adults to put the onus on stopping a pandemic on a bunch of 18 year olds paying tens of thousands of dollars to effectively be grounded in a dorm room.

Yeah, OSU suspended a bunch of students for partying.

they made students sign a bunch of bullshit "we won't party" pledges that will probably fall apart in court when families start suing.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
My sister had to go back to school in North Carolina. This doesn't really make me feel better about it.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta wonder about their procedures....like college after college are getting spikes in cases.

RebelStrike

Apr 28, 2020
For some comparison, The U. of Alabama had 560 cases between Wednesday and Monday, which is roughly the same as the entire state of Connecticut in that same period. Or, about half that of the entire state of Massachusetts in that period. U. of Bama has a student population of about 40,000. The populations of CT and MA are about 3.5million and 6.9million respectively.

560 cases between Wednesday and MOnday is more cases than the entire individual states of Vermont, Connecticut, Maine, New Hampshire, Montana, Rhode Island, Alaska, West Virginia, territories of Guam, the US Virgin Islands, and the District of Columbia.

Sadly, it's only going to get worse. Most American colleges don't fully go back until the first week of September. Though, thankfully, thousands of colleges have delayed or partial re-openings, but still you're going to see more and more cases like this.

A key problem with colleges, too, is that they're vectors for travel. Students go back to college from their home states or countries, and then if they return back -- say the school closes -- they're going to bring the virus back to where they live, and usually cross through several major travel points.

Yep, unfortunately it's just the beginning but it really is tiring to see this many outbreaks in only August. I just wish they gave more of a fuck about keeping students safe.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

they made students sign a bunch of bullshit "we won't party" pledges that will probably fall apart in court when families start suing.

This is just a classic example blaming the wrong people.

Students largely have *nothing else to do* but party and hang out right now. There's no sports, there's no on-campus activities, there's nothing, and the schools are just like "Hey, yeah let's have 40,000 kids come live close together but ...... YOU CANT DO ANYTHING TOGETHER ... and we haven't come up with any safe activities for you to do. Have fun!"

It's guaranteed to fail.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
yeahhhhhhh rather nervous about the coming few months. Different universities and uni systems are handling this situation very differently. Some are very supportive of online courses while others are directly or indirectly discourage them. I believe the thinking is that parents and students will complain otherwise (and they do. I know they do. Some parents actively want to have in-class sessions no matter what apparently)

I pray and hope otherwise but coming fall/winter might be as big of a, if not even bigger, shit show than Spring covid madness. Hope students, faculty members, staff etc all make it through as well as possible

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
The Onion is gonna need their version of "no way to stop this says the only country where it keeps happening" for Covid outbreaks at schools.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I suspect pretty much all schools are going to try to blame students, I think it's fucking bullshit, and I think we should not let them get away with this nonsense.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Fuck these unis.

They had to know that this was going to happen, they only re-opened the dorms to get more fucking money. I hope they do get sued, if it comes to that. They knew the risk and did it anyway to make some extra scratch.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
This is an idiotic fucking statement right here:

"Our challenge is not the students... Our challenge is the virus and there's a difference, folks."

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
There's gonna be a lot of people dying from heart attacks in their late 20s after this.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
This is just a classic example blaming the wrong people.

Students largely have *nothing else to do* but party and hang out right now. There's no sports, there's no on-campus activities, there's nothing, and the schools are just like "Hey, yeah let's have 40,000 kids come live close together but ...... YOU CANT DO ANYTHING TOGETHER ... and we haven't come up with any safe activities for you to do. Have fun!"

It's guaranteed to fail.

Ehhh, everybody needs to make sacrifices. They're adults, they also have responsibilities.

Maybe it's the introvert in me, but I didn't spend college partying.

99nikniht

Oct 28, 2017
Ehhh, everybody needs to make sacrifices. They're adults, they also have responsibilities.

This is a bad take. 18 - 21 year olds are technically adults according to their license and what government qualifies, but they are not adults in the truest sense. There's a magnitude of difference of maturity between 18 to 25. So, yes, you being an introvert is an exception, not the mean.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
This is a bad take. 18 - 21 year olds are technically adults according to their license and what government qualifies, but they are not adults in the truest sense. There's a magnitude of difference of maturity between 18 to 25. So, yes, you being an introvert is an exception, not the mean.

I dunno, go to party with no social distancing or mask requirement, and thus a considerable chance of catching deadly Covid-19. Or, don't go. Seems like a really obvious choice to me. You don't even need to be adult to figure that out. Just someone with a little bit of brains.

99nikniht

Oct 28, 2017
I dunno, go to party with no social distancing or mask requirement, and thus a considerable chance of catching deadly Covid-19. Or, don't go. Seems like a really obvious choice to me. You don't even need to be adult to figure that out. Just someone with a little bit of brains.

I agree with your reasoning 100%. But, don't give people an opportunity to add stupidity with alcohol and there won't be a problem. If enough people do stupid things, then crowd dynamics like de-individualization occurs, and now you have a ton of people acting like idiots.

Need an example? SF burned down when the Giants won the world series in 2012, when they won, not when they lost. I'm just saying, when you give people an opportunity to be stupid and anonymous, they will be exactly that.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

Of course everybody has to make sacrifices, but if officials are forcing you to go back to school or else drop out of college, then it is the responsibility of the school to come up with social programming. Forcing students back and then having zero safe activities for socialization is completely irresponsible from a public health stand point.

You might not have partied in college, but thousands of students do party in college, college officials know this, they make partying part of the campus culture, celebrate it in marketing materials. It's antithetical to public health to force thousands of people into a confined area -- apartment-like dorms -- and then provide no way for them to socialize in a way that is safe for public health.

Pandemics are one of those things where it takes more than just "personal responsibility."