• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I bought mine because of how well it works with the other products I already use, was it overpriced yes, is it annoying sometimes yes, is it it perfect no, but 5 years from now I can sell it for 1/2 of what I paid plus I bought it used with a warranty so I already got a deal vs buying new.

I got a maxed out besides SSD (1tb instead of 2) 2018 MacBook Pro Touch Bar that new was $2800 without AppleCare, I paid $2000 with care in 2018 so I have 3 years of warranty and in the last year I could sell it for $1000 since for some reason these hold their value so well.

Bluebot

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
So are the 2019 keyboards even failing? I haven't seen any reports like the previous iterations. It seems like this 3.5 gen keyboard isn't having the same issues as the previous versions.

swift-darius

May 10, 2018
appealing minimal design, build quality, and social status/looks. it's great that all these unix-preferring engineers are chiming in on that front, but the question is about university students, and personally when I was in uni my fellow students in social sciences mostly seemed to use them as £2000 facebook and youtube machines

cult of apple. that's what amazing marketing and good (+ infuriating) design gets you

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So are the 2019 keyboards even failing? I haven't seen any reports like the previous iterations. It seems like this 3.5 gen keyboard isn't having the same issues as the previous versions.
Too early.

But honestly, does it matter? They still feel like trash.

I'll be trading up to the scissor-switched 16" on day one.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Man, this forum really hates Apple, don't they?
Even though I used a really crappy windows computer during my college career, and I managed just fine, most people used a Mac because they're unix based and they make good development machines. In the past two jobs I had, they supplied MacBooks to every developer. Would I recommend the newest MacBook? Personally yes but there are rumors that the new 16 inch Mac will go back to the scissor keyboard so I would say wait for that.

Personally, I love macOS. It has so many great shortcuts, it has the terminal, and it's just really snappy. I have a MacBook Pro 2016 and a hackintosh. My hackintosh, which is a gaming pc, runs macOS way better than windows.
I don't hate Macs, but I would argue a good majority especially money strapped Uni students don't need to spend all that money on a Mac and are perfectly fine settling with a Windows computer outside of very specific instances. Windows PCs are not junk.

But if you have the means and prefer it. Buy what you like. It doesn't matter what I say.

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I don't hate Macs, but I would argue a good majority especially money strapped Uni students don't need to spend all that money on a Mac and are perfectly fine settling with a Windows computer outside of very specific instances. Windows PCs are not junk.

But if you have the means and prefer it. Buy what you like. It doesn't matter what I say.
Oh, just to be clear, I'm not calling windows pc junk. I was just saying the windows laptop I used in college was junk...literally. It only held a charge for 10 minutes and the plastic was peeling off. I was a poor ass student that couldn't afford a Mac at that time while studying CS.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
User Warned: Platform Warring
Fashion & wealth statement, Windows is better & this isn't up for debate. Don't point out video editing either, Mac's don't use powerpc anymore.

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
For most people, I think it's simply this : it runs macOS.

I use both daily and while I'm fine with both, I still prefer macOS after all these years.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Best all round laptops for most people. Great support. They last very long. They're reliable. Run MacOS. etc.

Not to mention they work amazing with iPhones/ipads which a lot of people own.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
They look great and have some of the best build quality.

Excluding the keyboards, MacBooks are extremely reliable. My 2013 MacBook Pro is going strong, while my work window laptop is unbearable a year later. Hell even Linus Tech Tip just had his razor laptop crap out on him.

You act like a laptop that is just 6 years old should somehow be in its last legs or something. Any computer can last 10 or more years without an issue aside from batteries.

Oct 28, 2017
California
My 13" 2015 MBP still works like a dream, whereas my 2012 HP laptop starting fucking up during year 3.

However, I keep hearing a lot of negative stuff about the current MBPs and when I decide to buy a new laptop, I might go with a Surface.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Right now macbook pro are actually price competitive as long as you are looking at base 13 pro. Windows ultrabooks with similar specs cost about same and there are quite a few advantages to macbooks such as better displays, in store service, better wifi and trackpad.

For uni, buy a portable laptop that has good battery life so that it can be used in class comfortably. I roll my eyes at people buying gaming laptops. Those are not good for education... any quad core ULV processor these days are more than fast enough and better suited for uni that than i7 H CPU with some nvidia card and horrible chasis that sells for $800 and lasts only 2 hours on battery.

rafiki

Alt account
Banned
May 18, 2019
My 13" 2015 MBP still works like a dream, whereas my 2012 HP laptop starting fucking up during year 3.

However, I keep hearing a lot of negative stuff about the current MBPs and when I decide to buy a new laptop, I might go with a Surface.

to be honest, almost 80% of Windows PC are junk. But those 80% cost less than half of what Mac costs. And everyone seems to compare those low quality PC with Mac. Its very unfair comparison.

If you are deciding between Mac or PC. It has to between MacBook pro, Surface Book, Lenovo X1 Carbon, Dell XPS

This thread is a hot mess with lot of hyperbole from both side. No Macs are not just status symbols, and no Windows laptops aren't junk.

Just fucking do some research, watch comparison between highend windows laptop vs MacBook from well known YouTuber and tech sites. And you will get the idea.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Right now macbook pro are actually price competitive as long as you are looking at base 13 pro. Windows ultrabooks with similar specs cost about same and there are quite a few advantages to macbooks such as better displays, in store service, better wifi and trackpad.

For uni, buy a portable laptop that has good battery life so that it can be used in class comfortably. I roll my eyes at people buying gaming laptops. Those are not good for education... any quad core ULV processor these days are more than fast enough and better suited for uni that than i7 H CPU with some nvidia card and horrible chasis that sells for $800 and lasts only 2 hours on battery.

Well, if I lived on campus and could only have one computer, I'd take a gaming laptop over anything else. Still portable enough to take around school, but I could still play games at decent settings. Also, a decent gaming laptop will last longer than 2 hours, and won't have a crappy chassis. Just don't cheap out.

Oct 28, 2017
California
to be honest, almost 80% of Windows PC are junk. But those 80% cost less than half of what Mac costs. And everyone seems to compare those low quality PC with Mac. Its very unfair comparison.

If you are deciding between Mac or PC. It has to between MacBook pro, Surface Book, Lenovo X1 Carbon, Dell XPS

This thread is a hot mess with lot of hyperbole from both side. No Macs are not just status symbols, and no Windows laptops aren't junk.

Just fucking do some research, watch comparison between highend windows laptop vs MacBook from well known YouTuber and tech sites. And you will get the idea.

Good thing I don't have to decide soon, I'm not looking to upgrade for at least another 2-3 years.

I would really prefer to stay in the Apple ecosystem since along with my MBP I also have an iPhone, iPad, Air Pods, and Apple Watch.

And yeah I'll never make the mistake of going with a low to mid-end PC again. So when it does come time to upgrade, it'll be between a MacBook Pro, A Surface Pro, or some other higher end laptop.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Good thing I don't have to decide soon, I'm not looking to upgrade for at least another 2-3 years.

I would really prefer to stay in the Apple ecosystem since along with my MBP I also have an iPhone, iPad, Air Pods, and Apple Watch.

And yeah I'll never make the mistake of going with a low to mid-end PC again. So when it does come time to upgrade, it'll be between a MacBook Pro, A Surface Pro, or some other higher end laptop.
In 2-3 years we'll be 2-3 years into the new version of the MBP, which in theory will be a great time to jump in. Never buy year 1 and never buy one with a Butterfly keyboard.

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
You guys think the butterfly keyboards are inevitable to have keyboard failures? Cause I've had mine for awhile now and all I can do is cross my fingers now that the keys don't die on me. I've got less than a year of AppleCare left.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I won't even entertain the notion of buying any MacBook that uses butterfly keys (basically any model that came out within the last 4 years), but macOS is still really nice. Thankfully, they're finally going back to decent keys next year. Now I might actually consider a MacBook again one day, though the prices are still out of whack even by Apple standards.

The "I use it for video editing" trope is super dated though. Ever since Premiere stepped up their game with GPU pre-render scrubbing years ago, Windows and Mac have been on equal footing for video editing by the vast majority of students (and if you take into consideration money spent, the money spend on a Windows laptop with a decent GPU vs a Mac with a lower quality GPU at the same pricepoint will mean a clear advantage in rendering/scrubbing for the Windows machine).

Folks dismissing Macs as just fashion statements aren't being fair either, though. The systems (shitty butterfly keys and i9 heat issues aside) have really solid build quality, and that operating system is fantastic. AppleCare and Apple Store support are generally reliable services for students and any Mac owner should something go wrong. There's an advantage to certain qualities always being good on a Mac - if you get a Mac, you know you're getting a top tier trackpad, you know you're getting a great display, you know you're getting a sturdy chassis. That sort of reliability adds up for folks not too knowledgeable about computers just trying to get a decent system for college. For someone that doesn't want to put in the time to research which of the 100s of current Windows options are decent, one can go with a Mac and be virtually guaranteed to get a quality system (except for that damn keyboard - can't stress enough the blunder of butterfly switches).

soul

Oct 27, 2017
The true power of Mac is that the OS relies on Unix, which makes things so much easier for software developers.
I can literally boot up a fresh Mac and begin to code, while performing initial setup on a Windows OS can be such a pain.

Oct 28, 2017
California
In 2-3 years we'll be 2-3 years into the new version of the MBP, which in theory will be a great time to jump in. Never buy year 1 and never buy one with a Butterfly keyboard.

Thanks for the tip. I bought my 2015 MBP back in 2016 because of all the crappy reviews the 2016 models were getting at the time, looks like I dodged a bullet from all the responses in here as well.

I wanted to buy at least a 15" MBP but I couldn't spring the extra cash so I had to "settle" for a 13" one, and looking back I'm glad I had to settle for the 13" one, it's the perfect size for my needs and my next one will def be a 13" (if they fix the keyboard issues by then that is).

x3sphere

Oct 27, 2017
Hardware-wise, I think a lot of Windows laptops are on par with the build quality of MacBooks nowadays. I think macOS > Windows 10 for productivity though.

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Thanks for the tip. I bought my 2015 MBP back in 2016 because of all the crappy reviews the 2016 models were getting at the time, looks like I dodged a bullet from all the responses in here as well.

I wanted to buy at least a 15" MBP but I couldn't spring the extra cash so I had to "settle" for a 13" one, and looking back I'm glad I had to settle for the 13" one, it's the perfect size for my needs and my next one will def be a 13" (if they fix the keyboard issues by then that is).
You bought the last great MBP.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
I dunno about modern versions but my 2015 MacBook Pro and 2013 Air are the two best laptops I've ever owned in terms of build quality and reliability. They still work amazing while the Windows laptops I've had are all much cheaper, had hardware failures after 4-5 years, and had complete garbage mouse pads. Even my Dell I got last year just isn't as nice to use as the MacBook Pro for general computing even if it runs circles around the MacBook for gaming (the primary reason I got the Dell).

Honestly, the only laptop I'd buy moving forward would be a Razer Blade at this point. Modern MacBooks don't look so hot with their keyboards and IO anymore.

efr

Banned
Jun 19, 2019
Education discount, usually a pair of free headphones included, best trackpad on any laptop, most college kids have iphones and imessage works great in macs plus the warranty.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Dell XPS 13 served me well for two years in Uni. I'm glad I went for Dell and not Surface. While I like the Surface, I'm more of a laptop guy than 2 in 1 thingy.

My bro got a Mac and it's still going strong for three years now.

I think nowadays it's hard to go wrong with most laptops since the specs got so much better.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
It seems to be the standard for college-age kids. My experience is almost the exact opposite of those in this thread. The kids with the MacBooks in my lower-division CS courses had to go through the most hoops since some of my teachers preferred programs/tools tied closely to Windows. Though once if they made it to the upper-division courses I think it evened out as you weren't on such a tight lease and are free to use whatever software you want.

If Macs are as useful as people claim I will have to look into it. I have already started using Linux for many of my projects as developing in it is such a smooth experience compared to Windows.

Last edited:

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
Bought a macbook air in 2015, SO bought an acer laptop last year.
Her laptop is noticeably slower now compared to the macbook.

Oct 28, 2017
Its funny how so many people feel so strongly about having to talk down Macs here. It's like they think they are smarter for not using them and most of them don't even know the actual professional usability if macs. Software development on Windows is a complete mess.

It seems to be the standard for college-age kids. My experience is almost the exact opposite of those in this thread. The kids with the MacBooks in my lower-division CS courses had to go through the most hoops since some of my teachers preferred programs/tools tied closely to Windows. Though once if they made it to the upper-division courses I think it evened out as you weren't on such a tight lease and are free to use whatever software you want.

Some colleges do that for the early programming classes because they want to have everybody on the same platform and Windows is cheaper. They often think Linux and SSHing will confuse new students. What's dumb is that they often have them using the MinGW compiler in Windows, which is a compiler meant to meet the GNU standards. But Macs already come with a GNU and POSIX compliant compiler.

Last edited:

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Its ingrained into culture that Apple products are "cool", well built, and reliable. Whether you agree or not, there are probably statistics people have about that. The latter two being the big sell to parents as you want your kids' laptop to last through college and hopefully beyond to when they can afford their own. Most parents could care less if something is running Windows or Mac OS or even know what the differences are. They just want that peace of mind. Bonus points for it being a brand that their kid thinks is cool.

Apple also seems to be used a lot in K-12 and there is more and more support in higher-ed. So getting your kid something they are used to using also makes sense. It used to be that all the engineers would get PCs because of legacy software requirements. That's become less and less of a thing.

Fashion & wealth statement, Windows is better & this isn't up for debate. Don't point out video editing either, Mac's don't use powerpc anymore.

😬

Christor

Oct 25, 2017
I switched from a Dell laptop to an Apple over practicality and mobility when I was in college.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bought a macbook air in 2015, SO bought an acer laptop last year.
Her laptop is noticeably slower now compared to the macbook.

Ever since SSDs, Macs have been known to age incredibly well as long as the RAM was upgraded at the time of purchase. A 2013 MacBook Air with 8GB of RAM is still a great performing system today for all general tasks, as long as the lower resolution display isn't a bother.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Some colleges do that for the early programming classes because they want to have everybody on the same platform and Windows is cheaper. They often think Linux and SSHing will confuse new students. What's dumb is that they often have them using the MinGW compiler in Windows, which is a compiler meant to meet the GNU standards. But Macs already come with a GNU and POSIX compliant compiler.

That's part of it. I think some of my teachers stuck with what they know and the others would push Linux before they would a Mac.

Personally, after fighting with Windows to do things that are piss easy to do in Linux, I have little to no experience with MacOS, I have changed my early foolish Windows only attitude I had when I started and will embrace anything that makes my job easier.

Porky

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Mar 16, 2019
The bitterness in this thread lol

- They're reliable
- They're lightweight
- The OS is easy to use and very rarely throws up any bugs
- Apple have student discount worldwide and throw in extras like headphones.
- Students rarely pay for their own university laptop

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's part of it. I think some of my teachers stuck with what they know and the others would push Linux before they would a Mac.

Personally, after fighting with Windows to do things that are piss easy to do in Linux, I have little to no experience with MacOS, I have changed my early foolish Windows only attitude I had when I started and will embrace anything that makes my job easier.
Just seems so insane to me. The professors at my university all used Macs, and it was the Windows kids who had to jump through hoops since their OS lacked the functionality that was baked into a Mac terminal.