• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
The trailer is basically boilerplate "everyday Americans vs rich corporate elites" so I'm going to assume that THR is full of shit or got their hands on an old version of the script until the movie actually comes out.
It may be an old version of the script they got their hands on, but quotes in the article make it seem like the outline of what they are going for is still the same.

A high-level insider says top executives want to stand by Blum, one of the studio's most prolific and successful producers, as well as filmmaker Craig Zobel, and see the project as a satire addressing an issue of great social importance. But this person says plans could change "if people think we're being exploitative rather than opinionated."
The Hunt made some executives at Universal skittish back in May 2018, when film chief Donna Langley acquired the script and fast-tracked it at a modest $18 million budget. It is unclear whether there were any other bidders on the property, the sale of which was brokered by CAA, but insiders at several studios told THR at the time that they did not pursue it because of the explosive premise. One executive says he didn't even read the script, noting, "The idea seemed crazy."
"Employees in different departments were questioning the wisdom of making such a movie in these times," says one filmmaker with ties to Universal. "In light of the horrific [recent shootings], is this not the most craven, irresponsible, dangerous exploitation?"

That point is countered by a Universal executive, who says the movie "is meant to show what a stupid, crazy world we live in," adding, "It might even be more powerful now."

Also, the bad guys aren't just rich people but the "elites" who "pay for everything so the country belongs to [them]" with the protagonists being from Mississippi, Wyoming, and Florida.

THR has a pretty good track record with most industry scoops, so maybe an outdated version of the script (especially since the report says the studio already has done reshoots even before the latest mass shooting), but I'd hardly rush to claim they are "full of shit".

ProfessorLobo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I want to know what the subtext here is.

Is Lindelof Maga? Is he criticizing the hostility of the left? Is he satirizing the rights persecution complex?

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
This sounds yikes

He's also made a career from co-writing, re-writing, or adapting, never to my knowledge writing something solely on his own and thus putting his own singular talents on display. It might be a moot point ultimately but I don't know why that's always bugged me about him.
Like basically 90% of Hollywood blockbuster screenwriters?

Last edited:

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
The fact this even got made kind of sells me on seeing it... there's a number of actors here too that typically pick up on some out of the box movies that turn out being pretty good,

As with any movie it's kind of hard to speak on until reviews at least come out...

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Violence is right wing, apparently.
punch.gif

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, this seems really misguided. I hope it turns out differently in the end, but my gut reaction is this shouldn't have been made.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
After this past weekend, I expect this movie to go from big theatrical release to day 1 launch exclusively on Crackle

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
I got really confused because the trailer says it's from the producer of Get Out.

But it doesn't say which producer of Get Out.

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
He's also made a career from co-writing, re-writing, or adapting, never to my knowledge writing something solely on his own and thus putting his own singular talents on display. It might be a moot point ultimately but I don't know why that's always bugged me about him.
Look it's fine to criticize Lindelof for this movie idea but a lot of writers only work in adaptations because it's what studios arr buying. And leftovers season 2 and 3 are all original content same with the Watchmen sequel. Tomorrowland is also pretty much a whole original story.
The guy has huge flaws but his being putting his ideas since Lost that yes we co wrote but that's TV writting and yes he fucked up the ending but he also wrote the highs of that show.
He has a LOT of flaws as a writer but being unoriginal is not one of them

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
A movie where the racist white people are the victims/heroes? This'll be a hit in some circles.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I'll withhold judgement until I see it. That director made Compliance, which is basically the least right-wing movie ever.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know this sounds crazy in this day and age, but maybe somebody should actually see it before freaking out with the knee jerk stuff? It's got some good people involved.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Man, reading the first page, I thought the movie was the other way around: left leaning people were being hunted by trump supporters.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Cautiously optimistic. Of course, reading the posts on era would lead you to believe it's a right wing power fantasy. It looks like a full on satire of their persecution complex. Hopefully, it gets its point across pretty clearly.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Will the twist be "it's purgatory and the rednecks are just being hunted by the ghosts of liberals that they killed?"

Cues misunderstanding of Lost ending joke.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Given the creative team behind this I feel like there's something major we're missing here. I can't see the director of Compliance and Prince Avalanche making the film described in OP without some wrinkle to it, and Lindelof has earned my benefit of the doubt after Leftovers.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Saw the trailer recently before seeing a movie and this is the last thing I thought of, I'm just gonna go off what I saw instead of this. Didn't plan on seeing the movie though even if I have A List, never seen a Purge and no real desire to see this. Movie with people hunting people just aren't for me I guess.

Oct 27, 2017
Given the creative team behind this I feel like there's something major we're missing here. I can't see the director of Compliance and Prince Avalanche making the film described in OP without some wrinkle to it, and Lindelof has earned my benefit of the doubt after Leftovers.
I'm assuming the "liberal elites" are actually rich right-wingers. Otherwise it's hard to believe this creative team making something like that.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So basically they looked at real life, where Trump-supporting white supremacists are massacring PoC and mowing down left-wing protesters, and said "Yeah but wouldn't it be funny if it was actually the other way around?"

The fuck out of here.

(However, like others have said, several people involved in the movie are very liberal, so there might be something being misunderstood here)

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
so the movie is asking its viewers to empathize with the poor racists?

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
So what if the twist is Antifa storms in during the climax mowing down the evil Elites, the racists say thanks for saving us but then Antifa kills them all and says "that's your Jesus' job not ours" *End Credits*

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The trailer was decent, but why did they have to make this political? Now it's unappealing.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
so the movie is asking its viewers to empathize with the poor racists?

Not sure why so many people think this is a new thing. Taxi Driver was an example of this. American History X. Tarantino's most recent two movies kinda asked the something similar of the audience. The challenge can make for engaging cinema. The Hunt, based on the trailer, just seems to be taking it to a new and weird extreme.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I'm all for satirizing the failures of liberal elites, and I'm morbidly curious about the full context, but this sounds, at best, like centrist "the real problem is partisanship" bullshit, and at worst like a full-on MAGA "liberals are the real bigots" fantasy

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
On one hand this is terrible. On the other hand it's not yet another comic book movie.

I'm all for satirizing the failures of liberal elites, and I'm morbidly curious about the full context, but this sounds, at best, like centrist "the real problem is partisanship" bullshit, and at worst like a full-on MAGA "liberals are the real bigots" fantasy
Sounds more like a Hollywood executive thought this would be an easy way to make money off of blood thirsty liberals. They won't be the first or last to make the mistake of thinking that liberals are as easily pandered to as conservatives. Fox News exists solely because of how gullible and rage-filled conservatives are.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Uh what lol
I thought it was just the most dangerous game, but the right wingers being hunted by the liberal elite angle is certainly the opposite of what I expected