• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Dwebble

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be surprised if they'd be willing to have a How to Train Your Dragon area by the time this park opens.

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
I think the most interesting aspect to the park is Universal Monsters. Having a section dedicated to something so closely tied to classic Universal and a whole part dedicated to horror franchises is pretty cool. Hoping for some Dracula's Castle type shit or maybe a reinvention of that Van Helsing concept that became Forbidden Journey.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Where are they going to build the park?. Shit is already packed there.

Orlando is growing at an insane pace. The amount of construction going on is madness

1nZhukt.png

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
epic universe is a dumb name but i'm still excited. nintendo land is going to blow everything away, mark my words.

Alicia is a well-known insider from the theme park community. This is her pointing out where the rumored lands likely align to the concept art.

wait i thought jurassic park would also get it's own land? that would have been amazing if they really recreate islar nublar.
also fantastic beasts but not harry potter? i know they are more or less the same thing but i don't get why they would name the land fantastic beasts and not harry potter or wizarding world, especially after the last movie was such a castrophe

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
epic universe is a dumb name but i'm still excited. nintendo land is going to blow everything away, mark my words.

wait i thought jurassic park would also get it's own land? that would have been amazing if they really recreate islar nublar.
also fantastic beasts but not harry potter? i know they are more or less the same thing but i don't get why they would name the land fantastic beasts and not harry potter or wizarding world, especially after the last movie was such a castrophe

Jurassic Park's already at Islands of Adventure.

There were rumblings of a new land based on Jurassic World at the new park for awhile, but I think they fell through.

OP
OP
Dwebble

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Jurassic Park already has a land over in Islands of Adventure.

Also, that tweet's not official- she's guessing at what they'll be called. For my money that area's far more likely to be a Potter-based Ministry of Magic area rather than anything specifically Fantastic Beasts.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Universal is my personal favorite theme park. I enjoy it much more than Disney but perhaps because I'm not a kid anymore.

It depends on what you want out of a park. Universal has stepped their game up, but they aren't great about land transitions and overall immersion. Disney still does it better (although they give way less of a fuck lately).

The older I get the more I tend to appreciate Disney's parks as places to just be in. You eventually grow out of thrill rides, if just by pure physical toll, but actually just being in a park is something you can always appreciate. I do expect this new park to be really well done though. It should be the best possible experience because they have so much to take from and improve on.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
This thing is taking up a LOT of space.

It won't all be for the new park. Keep in mind they're building a massive surface parking lot (why Disney and Universal refuse to build garages for parking is beyond me) and a hotel adjacent to the park. I'm assuming there will be multiple hotels, and perhaps even a Disney Springs style outdoor shopping area that connects to Epic Universe.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
Jurassic Park's already at Islands of Adventure.

There were rumblings of a new land based on Jurassic World at the new park for awhile, but I think they fell through.

ahh sucks that those plans fell through, oh well nintendo is all the reason i need to go see this anyway and more harry potter i'm also cool with

Jurassic Park already has a land over in Islands of Adventure.

Also, that tweet's not official- she's guessing at what they'll be called. For my money that area's far more likely to be a Potter-based Ministry of Magic area rather than anything specifically Fantastic Beasts.

i see, that makes sense

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic Beasts makes more sense to me, and frankly might make a better theme park than film franchise. With the first 2 Harry Potter lands connecting via Hogwarts Express, it would be strange to have Ministry of Magic so far away and unconnected. Making this new one based on New York/MACUSA fits with having to travel to it over a longer distance.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
Any guesses as to what year this park will open? I'm going to go with 2024, but I have no clue. Its been hard to Google how long it's taken theme parks to be built from breaking ground to grand opening, and this one is especially huge, so...

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They couldn't give any more details than that concept art? What a waste of an announcement, we already knew everything but the (bad) name

OP
OP
Dwebble

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Any guesses as to what year this park will open? I'm going to go with 2024, but I have no clue. Its been hard to Google how long it's taken theme parks to be built from breaking ground to grand opening, and this one is especially huge, so...
2024 sounds about right to me. They're still going to be doing groundwork for an awfully long time, particularly with the amount of water features that it'll apparently have.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
They couldn't give any more details than that concept art? What a waste of an announcement, we already knew everything but the (bad) name

This was a more general public focused event than I think anyone anticipated. Seems like it was purely for those who were in the dark about Universal purchasing this land in the first place.

Name sucks, but it's whatever. "Universe" will be a fine enough shorthand just like Islands and Studios.

Draconian

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Traveling between parks looks like it might be a nightmare. There's gotta be something that connects it to them, right?

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
If How to Train your Dragon is going to be a land, I'll be ecstatic! They should just rip Disney's Avatar ride and make a Dragon version.

Starphanluke

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 15, 2017
Okay, wait. There's a rumored How to Train Your Dragon world? Amazing.

Also, I hope Nintendo Land will eventually expand beyond just Mario and DK. Zelda has proven to be popular enough in America for a section, I'd think. And Pokemon makes so much damn sense.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Lol. I'd rather go to Disney over Universal any day of the week. "Disney Magic" is marketing, but they do their best to drill that into their employees. It's also pretty evident in the theming of the parks and such. I was at a wedding at a Universal hotel last year and we did a day at the parks. There's so much... I don't know if the word is generic, but there's a feel to Universal that's lacking. I didn't notice it as a teenager who went all the time because I was there for rollercoasters and thats basically it. But now its much more noticeable, especially after leaving a ride that was just a screen.
I'm sure they are very fine people, but I get the sense that Universal's workers are people that didn't make it at Disney - a little more rough around the edges in their interactions with guests... never felt they went above and beyond, much like the Disney park workers do. It's hard to put your finger on it, but after going a few times in the last year between the parks, you get that sense.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Two big expansion plots in the concept art for future worlds I see! One of them is even next to Nintendo! *rubs chin*

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
I've heard rumours one of the expansions will be a recreation of Compton during the 80's for a dark ride called Straight Outta Compton: Eazy-E Escape.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Universal Studios has always been "The Land of Misfit IP" and it's only gotten worse in the last decade or so. My last trip was in 1998 and if anything there's been more removed than added to get me interested.

And because someone will respond "But Harry Potter", I'm not really interested in Harry Potter, so that does nothing for me.

I'll probably drop in once the crowds die down a bit for Super Nintendo World, as I'd like to check that out and I'll probably ride The Simpsons Ride and see the Springfield area, but there isn't a whole lot more in there that interests me, which is a shame, because Universal Studios in the 90s was amazing.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've been hoping for some How to Train Your Dragon attraction for a long time, interesting if they add a whole land so long after the series has ended.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They probably won't because "Epic" is generic as all fuck, but just for the laughs Disney should just go ahead and troll the shit out of Universal

epic_movie_wallpapers_epic_2013_desktop_wallpapers_epic_movie_free_hd_wallpapers_epic_free_wallpapers_desktop_backgrounds4.jpg

MOTHGOD

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Buttfuck Nowhere
That CLASSIC MONSTERS ZONE tho...
I hope it is every bit as atmospheric as the Harry Potter areas are. Along with Dracula's Castle and Frankentein Tower. O baby that place will be absolutely lit especially during Halloween Horror Nights

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious if the bottom right section is just for How To Train Your Dragon, or if there are more Dreamworks properties going in there. I remember the rumors for a while being that there would be multiple "mini-lands" focusing on a couple other ones too.

Classic Monsters area is gonna be rad.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I want there to be a massive People Mover connecting the park to the rest of Universal just for the irony.

Probably just buses though.

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
I love Harry Potter. One of my all time favorite franchises. But I really, really don't need a third Harry Potter land. I feel like most of the novetly was gone after the first park. I had tried the sweets and drinks and bought wands and robes and stuff. The second land was cool (Diagon Alley) just because it was done so well but the magic of finally trying everything was gone.

It won't all be for the new park. Keep in mind they're building a massive surface parking lot (why Disney and Universal refuse to build garages for parking is beyond me) and a hotel adjacent to the park. I'm assuming there will be multiple hotels, and perhaps even a Disney Springs style outdoor shopping area that connects to Epic Universe.

Universal has a massive parking garage. I don't think I've ever parked outside once at Universal. To be honest, I didn't even know they had outside parking.

Oct 25, 2017
I love Harry Potter. One of my all time favorite franchises. But I really, really don't need a third Harry Potter land. I feel like most of the novetly was gone after the first park. I had tried the sweets and drinks and bought wands and robes and stuff. The second land was cool (Diagon Alley) just because it was done so well but the magic of finally trying everything was gone.

Universal has a massive parking garage. I don't think I've ever parked outside once at Universal. To be honest, I didn't even know they had outside parking.
Yeah but what about a Ministry of Magic land?

OP
OP
Dwebble

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta compete with Disney's amazing Avatar ride somehow!

(Seriously, do we have any idea what the HTTYD ride is going to be?)
Those two big coasters to the right of the concept art could easily be themed for dragons, although it would be odd for a kid-centric franchise (which hasn't been a thing for half a decade or more) to get a pair of high-level coasters.

I actually think the Dragons speculation is wide of the mark, and that area's going to be themed to something else, because How to Train Your Dragon is probably not going to be a big enough draw for a whole land on 2024- hell, it probably isn't now.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Just curious for people that live in the area...does the area outside of Orlando really have that much undeveloped land? Geez I didn't know they were building a whole new park!

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Wait what universal Orlando only has garage parking right now lol???