• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stoopkid

Oct 27, 2017

The comments
scust.png

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Assholes have been getting pretty bold for a while. Let's keep reminding them that kind of shit won't be accepted. Not now, not ever.

BanditoMac

Dec 13, 2017
i remember this symbol being used at school and all it meant was that if you looked, you got punched on the shoulder. something stupid like that. was that not the case for others? (should say this was way before trump era)

had no clue this was co-opted

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
There are other people in this thread confused about why this is racist, so no it's not obvious.
I am not saying the gesture being racist is obvious. I am saying that his use of it in this instance and the intent behind it is obvious. Because it is.

But hey if you wanna keep playing devil's advocate for a racist piece of shit then go for it.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
because it's some teenager who has seen memes of people "sneaking" that gesture into photos, unaware that maybe some of those photos had ill-intent? It's a big world with lots of ideas and personalities.

I want to note that I'm NOT defending him. I obviously don't know what his intent was here. I'm just kinda playing devil's advocate.

We don't need a devil's advocate for racist symbols.

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
Really? The "OK" symbol is as wildely considered racist as Nazi symbolism now? This is ridiculous. I'm just gonna leave this thread.
Lol ain't no one tossing out the "OK" symbol like that but stealth racists

It's a racist symbol. It's been classified as such regardless if you had to google it beforehand.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
The one thing I love about this whole OK sign shit are all the assholes who are like, "Since when did the OK sign become racist?" but when you point out that randomly flashing the OK sign in photos is literally not a thing and has never been a thing it's just crickets.

Yes, it is the also the OK sign and there are times when people show it without racist intent but while having their photo taken? And especially in groups? And ESPECIALLY in groups of self-admitted white nationalists? To signify, what, that something is OK? So fucking dumb and transparent. You know they are being disingenuous and so do they. It's part of the "lol getting trolled" song-and-dance for these fucking losers.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
but when you point out that randomly flashing the OK sign in photos is literally not a thing and has never been a thing it's just crickets.

I'm going to play devil's advocate here and say that I have had friends do this in pictures long before this became a racist gesture.

Not saying it's still okay to do it because it isn't with how it's associated, but it's not like it hasn't been done.

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
Lol, I did not know this was actually racist. My friends and I use to do this very often in photos and to ourselves; the one who looked at it got fooled etc.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Really? The "OK" symbol is as wildly considered racist as Nazi symbolism now? This is ridiculous.

I'm just gonna leave this thread.

These things are context-dependant. If you see a group of white people making the OK symbol in a picture devoid of context, it's a lot more likely they are doing it as signaling. If you see one dude using an OK symbol when someone asks them to do something, it is a lot less likely.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
The one thing I love about this whole OK sign shit are all the assholes who are like, "Since when did the OK sign become racist?" but when you point out that randomly flashing the OK sign in photos is literally not a thing and has never been a thing it's just crickets.

I'm glad people aren't having it in here. But then I also don't see much about the 'circle game' worth defending either.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
It's also not really the ok sign since that is held up. People doing this one, on purpose, all hold it down.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Obviously it's awful if that's what the actor intended, but I think majority see that as a baseless meme more than anything.
I'm just kinda playing devil's advocate.
There are other people in this thread confused about why this is racist, so no it's not obvious.
This is ridiculous.

I'm just gonna leave this thread.
EasygoingGargantuanAlaskankleekai-small.gif

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
if they flashed "heil hitler" would anyone say "he's just stretching his arm"

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Casual racism is now an excuse?

Not at all that, but I could see the sign being an accident/coincidence if it truly were an isolated case. It's not completely out of the question that his hand might take that shape once doing possibly hundreds of similar posed photos with people every day. I mean, if there is evidence beyond a reasonable doubt that he used the sign intentionally, then yeah, I would agree that it's grounds for termination in today's context. It would be pretty hard to convince people that he only meant to be using it in the "OK" meaning in that kind of situation.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I've always felt like the context for distinguishing between the 'ok' sign, circle game, or 'wp' symbol is almost always obvious.

Sneaking it into a photo with a biracial girl only really fits one context.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to play devil's advocate here and say that I have had friends do this in pictures long before this became a racist gesture.

Not saying it's still okay because it isn't with how it's associated, but it's not like it hasn't been done.
1 picture of this down facing ok symbol is all i want

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i think this symbol is used more by idiots on the internet, and since idiots on the internet do not care about nobody but themselves, the overlap with the white supremacists is quite large.

but i have seen this thing used as a meme more than a hate symbol, i obviously dont circle places on the internet where is used as a hate symbol so my view is a little skewed

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
If there was ever any doubt about the message behind this shit, it should've ended when the Christchurch mosque shooter flashed it.

OP
OP
nihilence

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Context is a thing, OK sign isn't always racist. It's not like his hand did that while clutching her shoulder. He deliberately did it. Why? Who or why would he be signaling okay or playing the ball game? I doubt he was telling the adults "go ahead, take the picture" he could have removed the sign.

It's a dog whistle, because only some people get it. That's the point. They think they are being sneaky about it.

Oct 27, 2017
Context is a thing, OK sign isn't always racist. It's not like his hand did that while clutching her shoulder. He deliberately did it. Why? Who or why would he be signaling okay or playing the ball game? I doubt he was telling the adults "go ahead, take the picture" he could have removed the sign.

It's a dog whistle, because only some people get it. That's the point. They think they are being sneaky about it.
I definitely didn't know it was an alt-right symbol now. Played that circle game throughout mid school and high school. That's all I know it as.

that only works below the waist though
that is below gru's waste though. Not defending him, BTW. If it is an alt-right thing now then I'm not for this one bit. Fuck that dude. I'm just legitly confused.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Christ, there's always one of you.

And it appears there's 10 of you jumping over yourselves to assume the worst about everyone's intentions. If the sign was intentional, then yeah, case closed, but it's hard to know from the details in the story and a single low-res image that looks like it was taken from a smartphone at possibly any moment.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
There are lots of cases where I could give the benefit of the doubt to the person using this symbol. This case isn't one of them. There's no reason to be using the OK symbol in that context and the peep hole game doesn't make sense here. That's not a natural hand gesture in that scenario and he's posing with a biracial girl. It's really, really obvious that this was intentional.