• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto

We've made the tough decision to cancel our on-the-ground activity at GDC 2020, due to current conditions with COVID-19. The health and safety of our employees, partners and friends is our top priority. More info to come on what we'll be sharing online

https://blogs.unity3d.com/2020/02/27/an-update-on-our-gdc-2020-plans/

Unfortunately, this year, after much thought and deliberation, we have made the difficult decision to pull out of GDC 2020. While we did not make this decision lightly, the current conditions with COVID-19 (also known as Novel Coronavirus) present too much risk. We take our employees' wellbeing very seriously. We do not want any Unity employee or partner to compromise their health and safety unnecessarily.
We're advising all employees to refrain from traveling to GDC. We will no longer have a physical presence with a booth, but will instead showcase the great GDC content we've been working towards online. Expect more details in the coming weeks.
The Game Developers Conference has always done a fantastic job in uniting the games industry. We look forward to showing our support at next year's event.

tarman76

Oct 27, 2017

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Man, as someone who has as also knows people who still work in event planning and all that stuff, this shit must be really devastating. Completely understandable though, as I said in a previous thread, it'll be common occurrence.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I wonder if they're just using the virus as an excuse. I mean, maybe the next version of Unity is in shambles, and they don't want to show it? I don't know. I'm just asking questions. I have a right to my beliefs.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Unity pulling out is big news, since they're very much part of the foundations of modern game development. We're definitely getting into territory whereby GDC getting cancelled is an increasingly realistic possibility.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they're just using the virus as an excuse. I mean, maybe the next version of Unity is in shambles, and they don't want to show it? I don't know. I'm just asking questions. I have a right to my beliefs.
Yeah. They would never want to announce or ship a buggy, non perfmomant version of Unity!!!! That would be crazy. That would never happen. Never. Ever.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Makes them look weak. Are they afraid of all the amazing Unreal features and are hiding because they have nothing to show? /s

I would expect a lot of info this year to be delivered online at this point. This isn't going away any time soon.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
RIP GDC 2020

Probably just stopping all non-essential travel by their employees. In-Person meetings like these are not essential imo when you have the internet. Better to be safe than sorry especially when you can get your message out there elsewhere.

TXULJ

Banned
Apr 12, 2019
GDC isn't about reveals or announcements, it's about developers getting together and networking.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
Makes them look weak. Are they afraid of all the amazing Unreal features and are hiding because they have nothing to show? /s

I would expect a lot of info this year to be delivered online at this point. This isn't going away any time soon.

hahahaha that playstation thread aged like milk, there's many, many pearls.

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know why most conferences aren't planning to go this route. I get that they'll likely lose money, but the seriousness of this is no longer in question and it would be irresponsible to host anything with an international attendance.
Beacuse it's as information sharing as networking conference. If you want to find/change a job GDC is excelent place to be.

pittman

Aug 15, 2019
Their headquarters are right down the street from the conference.

Still probably for the best!

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
RIP GDC 2020

Probably just stopping all non-essential travel by their employees. In-Person meetings like these are not essential imo when you have the internet. Better to be safe than sorry especially when you can get your message out there elsewhere.

I was being sarcastic, but GDC absolutely is essential to Unity's success. It's their major developer relations event. It's not about just making announcements that they can just put on a website. It's about relationship building and talking to people and listening to people and selling people on Unity face-to-face.

Pulling out of GDC is absolutely a blow to their developer relations strategy and their growth plans for 2020. It was not something they did lightly.