• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
Awesome for people just getting into gamedev.

blogs.unity3d.com

Learn Premium is now available to everyone at no cost | Unity Blog

With the rapidly changing economic landscape, there is an unprecedented need for people to develop in-demand skills. That’s why, starting today, Unity Learn Premium will be available to everyone at no cost.

On March 19, we opened up Unity Learn Premium to the community, offering three months of complimentary access to this comprehensive source of real-time 3D learning content and live access to Unity experts. We could not have anticipated the economy and job market we find ourselves in today. The COVID-19 pandemic has led to millions of jobs lost globally, and with figures like these, we know that this has impacted the livelihood of many people in our diverse community. The need to gain new skills quickly is more important than ever for those looking for new opportunities.

The response from the community has been overwhelming. Over 320,000 people have benefited from Learn Premium since we offered complimentary access. Clearly, Learn Premium is an important resource for our community, and we want to continue playing our part: today, we are announcing that Learn Premium will be accessible to everyone moving forward. By providing easy access to all of our real-time 3D online learning resources, we hope to bring you one step closer to reaching your goals.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
is unity doing RTX stuff?

Houdini -> Unity seems like a more stable workflow than Houdini -> UE4.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
One thing I legitimately love about Unity is how there are tons of resources for it. Unreal...like, there's resources for it, but they become outdated super quickly. That said I still prefer playing around with Unreal because level design is my jam and it tends to work better there, but still.

Oct 27, 2017
It should have never been paid to begin with and it bothered me to no end that it was. I never understood the reasoning behind paywalling your educational content as a game engine developer. It seems like ideally you'd want to increase proficiency in your userbase rather than limit it by paywalling your own educational content. I might actually hop into unity again now that I've got some first class instructional stuff without having to pay cgcookie subscriptions, buy random udemy courses, or trawl youtube for some badly explained hard to follow along with content.

I'm sorry if I came across cynical because I'm actually really excited about this and I hope they keep adding to the courses available.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
It should have never been paid to begin with and it bothered me to no end that it was. I never understood the reasoning behind paywalling your educational content as a game engine developer. It seems like ideally you'd want to increase proficiency in your userbase rather than limit it by paywalling your own educational content. I might actually hop into unity again now that I've got some first class instructional stuff without having to pay cgcookie subscriptions, buy random udemy courses, or trawl youtube for some badly explained hard to follow along with content.

I'm sorry if I came across cynical because I'm actually really excited about this and I hope they keep adding to the courses available.

Probably because stuff like that cost's a lot of money to make?

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
One thing I legitimately love about Unity is how there are tons of resources for it. Unreal...like, there's resources for it, but they become outdated super quickly. That said I still prefer playing around with Unreal because level design is my jam and it tends to work better there, but still.

ue4's community is so quite compared to what i see in unity. to me. The unity forums seem like a god damned party compared.

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
I might be overlooking it, but does the website provide recommendations or guidelines somewhere that groups courses applicable to a specific goal? For instance, if I want to make a first-person narrative game, I'd like to work through courses necessary to build towards that goal, rather than skipping between different topics that might not be immediately necessary.

I'm an absolute beginner, so the Foundation level looks good, but once I move on to the Beginner tier the courses split off into a lot of different topics. I have a bad habit of spinning off in different directions when I'm learning about something, so I'd like to keep a clear focus when using this and work through the courses in a steady order for improving.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
I'll have to look into signing up for this so I can finally move forward with my attempts at creating tings in unity