• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will VR be console-level mainstream by 2030?

• Yes

Votes: 273 33.2%
  • No

Votes: 550 66.8%

• Total voters

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
https://www.theinformation.com/arti...ts-will-be-as-common-as-game-consoles-by-2030

In a TheInformation report, Unity's CEO talks about the market for VR/AR and when he expects it to go mainstream. I think 2030 is a pretty safe bet if we assume individual VR headsets need to hit around 20 million units sold a year by that point. AR is a bit harder to predict because it requires engineering around the laws of physics. I do expect AR products to get off to a faster start than VR did, but it's hard to tell just how fast AR's biggest barriers (optics/transparency/occlusion/FoV/weight/battery) are fixed, though I would expect that if not 2030, it won't be far off.

Unity's business also means that Riccitiello gains insight into new hardware platforms long before the public does, because hardware makers need Unity to run on their products. That includes augmented reality and VR devices from the likes of Apple and Facebook. Riccitiello said he can't discuss what he knows about their plans, but he sounds more optimistic about what's coming from them than he was a few years ago about VR.

"Suffice it to say that what I have seen and see is that you should have a lot of faith in the market, but more in the two- to three-year timeframe than in the two- to three-month time frame," he said.

The discussion of AR and VR led to another Riccitiello prediction: By the end of this decade, use of those devices will be at about the same level as it is for game consoles today. That isn't too shabby, considering around 250 million households worldwide have consoles, but it is far short of the more than 4 billion smartphones in use.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
No idea about AR but that sorta time frame makes total sense for VR, the Quest 2 is already the most used VR headset (according to Steam) at 30% and that's on the all-in-one form factor which previous headsets lacked, it can only get better from here

Sep 29, 2019
I don't think AR will break in so big but VR sure is eventually gonna catch up to the more mainstream public. All VR needs is more accessible headsets and bigger games [like the Quest/Quest 2 have been currently outputting/offering.]

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
It mostly depends on how cheap they can get them. Or if apple comes out with one. It's the chicken and the egg, you need enough units for people to build stuff for it, but you need software to get people to come

OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
That's only 8 year for things to chane a lot. I doubt it.
8 years is a long time, especially considering long-term R&D has been kicking for around 5 years now. There are a lot of breakthroughs happening behind the scenes. Some are risky long-term projects, and others are more tangible within the next 2-5 years.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
He can go in the bin with the other guy who claimed consoles were done last generation due to mobile gaming taking over.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
No. That's ridiculous. I enjoy VR - hell, I have 3 headsets - but just no. As long as it involves strapping a thing to your face, it's just not going to be that big.

If the tech is there, someday, somehow, for it to be more like a pair of glasses, then maybe.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
AR is going to replace the smartphone.

As well as monitors.

And televisions.

And consoles.

It's going to be fucking huge.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Current VR tech will never be mainstream, and AR can be many different things. If it's a "VR+AR" helmet then see VR.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
By the end of this generation or next generation it'll be prevalent. The more less expensive headsets on the market, more people will try it.

OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
No. That's ridiculous. I enjoy VR - hell, I have 3 headsets - but just no. As long as it involves strapping a thing to your face, it's just not going to be that big.

If the tech is there, someday, somehow, for it to be more like a pair of glasses, then maybe.
I mean, this is what Facebook has achieved in their lab.

Holographic_optics_hero.0.png

It's just a rudimentary display system for now, so no battery/compute, but it's a very important step forward.

It's not just about how small it needs to be to satisfy users, but there are other aspects that can shift people's perception. I expect that the vergence accommodation conflict will be solved in this timeframe, which would give VR a optical comfort benefit over viewing a TV/Monitor. That's just one of several convenience points which VR will be able to provide what no 2D display can.

Value is ultimately what makes technology stick. Give the people a certain amount of value and the downside of wearing something will be background noise.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
It'll never hit 1:1 with consoles I don't think, but I can see it hitting 50% maybe. If we're just talking about gaming, that is.

AR glasses I think will be more common as an item outside of games.

OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
It'll never hit 1:1 with consoles I don't think, but I can see it hitting 50% maybe. If we're just talking about gaming, that is.
People bought PCs as a general purpose device that happens to be a good gaming platform. If people pick up VR for all sorts of non-gaming usecases, it drives the userbase forward and enables VR games to reach more people, and to bring them into the gaming market.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, it's too soon. You're talking about something that needs to be much smaller, lighter, unteathered with a decent battery, and affordable to the average consumer.

That's a lot of ground to cover in 8.5 years.

OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
No, it's too soon. You're talking about something that needs to be much smaller, lighter, unteathered with a decent battery, and affordable to the average consumer.

That's a lot of ground to cover in 8.5 years.
I would expect that by the time we get to Quest 4, we're at half the size of headsets today, at a similar price range as a Quest 2, with better battery efficiency due to a custom VR/AR operating system that Facebook is making good progress on.

Those are pain points, but don't forget that there will be advancements and new features that drive the value up.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Eh, depends on what you mean by 'consoles'. If you mean 'comparable sales to the PS Vita', then I'd argue the Oculus Quest 2 is already close to hitting that mark. If you mean 'comparable sales to the Xbox One' then it'll probably require Apple getting involved, and even then it'll be a bit of a leap for my tastes. If you mean 'comparable to the console market as a whole' then I'll be resolutely in the No camp in that one.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
9 years is a long time tech wise. People thinking it's not a possibility haven't looked to see how much tech changed in 10 years in the recent decades.

OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Eh, depends on what you mean by 'consoles'. If you mean 'comparable sales to the PS Vita', then I'd argue the Oculus Quest 2 is already close to hitting that mark. If you mean 'comparable sales to the Xbox One' then it'll probably require Apple getting involved, and even then it'll be a bit of a leap for my tastes. If you mean 'comparable to the console market as a whole' then I'll be resolutely in the No camp in that one.
Given SteamVR estimates and Facebook revenue, it's likely that Oculus Quest 2 is going to hit 4+ million units sold in it's first year. To reach Xbox One levels, it would need to hit 7.5 million a year. Even if the Quest line of headsets only sold half a million more each year, it would get there by 2030.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
People bought PCs as a general purpose device that happens to be a good gaming platform. If people pick up VR for all sorts of non-gaming usecases, it drives the userbase forward and enables VR games to reach more people, and to bring them into the gaming market.

What use do you see VR having outside gaming that won't be better done with AR or our current tech? I personally think VR is going to be stuck in a media bubble with gaming at the forefront like it is now.

OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
What use do you see VR having outside gaming that won't be better done with AR or our current tech? I personally think VR is going to be stuck in a media bubble with gaming at the forefront like it is now.
For me, at least, in a pandemic? Kind of everything really. I used it for travel, exercise, socializing, and attending events. My life has been mostly normal in the last year.

I plan to use VR as a workstation/media center as the headsets evolve more, so that would be a future usecase that I'm waiting for.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I voted no but don't think it's impossible. Depends how the tech evolves in the next decade

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I predict that game consoles will be MORE popular than VR-AR headsets tomorrow.

Eddman

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
In the US/Japan/Europe? Maybe with the right software. In countries with lower income, doubt it. Tech prices are increasing much quicker than salaries.

TioChuck

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
There's something happening behind the scenes and this thing is probably closer than we think, hell we learned during Epic v Apple trial that Tim Sweeney's whole theatrics against Apple is to not give money to anyone when AR hits.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
For me, at least, in a pandemic? Kind of everything really. I used it for travel, exercise, socializing, and attending events. My life has been mostly normal in the last year.

I plan to use VR as a workstation/media center as the headsets evolve more, so that would be a future usecase that I'm waiting for.

I'm assuming all those things you did were virtual? And I think that's where VR gets caught up in these things is that I feel it's suitable as a virtual substitute. And I don't see it catching on in these categories because of that.

I don't know how you'd wear one of those things for a workstation. My head and eyes were hurting after like 20 minutes on one. The eyestrain alone would kill me!

Oct 25, 2017
8 years is a long time, especially considering long-term R&D has been kicking for around 5 years now. There are a lot of breakthroughs happening behind the scenes. Some are risky long-term projects, and others are more tangible within the next 2-5 years.
These have to come to market, be well supported and then adopted. We would really need a mindblowing development soon or that's not enough time.

"Clam Juice CEO says Clam Juice to be as ubiquitous as Cola by 2035"
Plenty Unity on other platforms.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
Entirely depends on if Apple enters the market, honestly.
They would need to do so affordably, which isn't something they typically do.. I couldn't see $800+ headsets driving adoption in any meaningful way.
If they somehow made the next iPhone a wearable like Google Glass with games, then maybe, but even then..

edit: I think AR/VR could become much more ubiquitous by the 2030s, I'm just not sure I see Apple having much to do with it

BotFixer

Mar 16, 2021
AR/VR can really blow traditional consoles out of the water when their ready. Imagine just putting on glasses and now you have a big screen right in front of you that you can play cloud streamed games on. Along with an aggressive price point, it can really change media consumption like the smartphone did.

Sep 22, 2019
100%, the golden dream is a pair of VR sunglasses that you just put on to play. I also have high hopes for AR, if you could actually do what the hololens promised, minecraft in your living room and you can see it from a gods point of view, that would be sick

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Apple sold 81 million iPads last year...yup, it'll definitely be as common as game consoles in 9 years.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I have a hard time imagining the various VR systems will sell around as much as the combined Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo systems. Unless the latter three (or Apple) move into the VR space.

Unless unless VR gets way cheaper and easier to jump right into.

OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
It doesn't matter how much the tech evolves if people don't want it
People don't want any technology until it matures.

You certainly didn't see people wanting PCs, phones, TVs, or consoles until they actually reached a certain technological point - a point that VR has not hit yet.

Technological marches don't add up to widespread adoption. Folks were convinced smartwatches were the next big thing, too.
See above. While you can make the argument that people won't want VR even when it evolves, you can't know that for sure until people reject it in it's maturity.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Seems optimistic but who knows, Oculus and other groups have obviously made some big strides with VR/AR R&D over the years, and once we see the fruits of those labors in a competitively priced (or lol Apple prices) product like the Quest which is a lot smaller then sure, maybe they'll take off. I see AR being the much bigger of the two. Once people can have their Instagram and Twitter feeds in front of their faces all day hands free with hand tracking and voice integrated they're never taking those glasses off :P

Shado

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think AR will break in so big but VR sure is eventually gonna catch up to the more mainstream public. All VR needs is more accessible headsets and bigger games [like the Quest/Quest 2 have been currently outputting/offering.]

I think the opposite. AR is what non-gaming folk alike will use. All the big tech are betting on AR/VR. It will reach bigger acceptance once apple comes out with their devices.