• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
thanks for the great tips everyone :D. Unity will def be my go to engine to start learning though.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
2. I still do local backups for upgrading so I don't have to clone a repo or reimport from scratch. This isn't as much of a concern for newer/smaller projects, though.

You absolutely should not clone a repo, or copy / reimport! Simply create a branch, switch to it, and upgrade versions there; you can then switch back and forth as needed, whenever you want to work on the main branch, or back on upgrading the project to the next version. Then when / if you decide to upgrade, just merge the branch to your main branch. Or if you decide you don't want, delete the branch.

I've had nightmarish version upgrades that broke several things and took me several days to get back running. No way I'm going to work for that long on anything without version control. :P

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
You absolutely should not clone a repo or reimport! Simply create a branch, switch to it and upgrade versions there; you can then switch back and forth as needed, whenever you want to work on the main branch, or back on upgrading the project to the next version. Then when / if you decide to upgrade, just merge the branch to your main branch. Or if you decide you don't want, delete the branch. Clean and easy.

Hey you with good workflows, stop it there! You shall not guilt trip me for my external drives of backups!

In all seriousness, I really got to get up to date with git usage. I learned some nasty habits from older people and still haven't gotten up to date on git stuff.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Hey you with good workflows, stop it there! You shall not guilt trip me for my external drives of backups!

... wait, you're using online repositories like BitBucket, right?

In all seriousness, I really got to get up to date with git usage. I learned some nasty habits from older people and still haven't gotten up to date on git stuff.

Older programmers and their antiquated habits are the worst.
(<- is 43)

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I learned some nasty habits from older people and still haven't gotten up to date on git stuff.

You just need a list of these git commands, and you're set for life:
  • git status
  • git config --global alias.[my custom alias] [whatever stuff you need here]
  • Bash:
    git log --graph --abbrev-commit --decorate --format=format:'%C(bold blue)%h%C(reset) - %C(bold cyan)%aD%C(reset) %C(bold green)(%ar)%C(reset)%C(bold yellow)%d%C(reset)%n''          %C(white)%s%C(reset) %C(dim white)- %an%C(reset)' --all
  • Bash:
    git fetch --prune && git branch -vv | awk '$1 !~ /*/ {print $1 " " $4}' | awk '$2 ~ /gone]/ {print $1}' | xargs git branch -D
  • git checkout
  • git checkout --branch [my new branch]
  • git branch
  • git branch --delete [my branch to delete]
  • git pull
  • git push
  • git push --force-with-lease
  • git rebase --interactive HEAD~[number of how many commits to go back from HEAD]

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
So happy to have chosen to work with Perforce when I see those Git conversations come up haha.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
My wife looked into this and found that it's actually free to enroll but then you have to pay $49/month.

You should be able to audit each individual course for free, from their individual pages. The option to audit is a bit hidden, you may need to scroll down on the Enroll popup.

When auditing you get access to all of the materials; you just don't get exams, nor get a certificate at the end.

Deleted member 62221

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 17, 2019
Meh, I always deal with that problem by using SmoothDamp.

I wish they did something about their shadows not sticking to characters sometimes, I've seen this problem for years and I have to make some crude fix so it looks only a bit better.

NR7UQvO.jpg

acmshar

Nov 26, 2017
You absolutely should not clone a repo, or copy / reimport! Simply create a branch, switch to it, and upgrade versions there; you can then switch back and forth as needed, whenever you want to work on the main branch, or back on upgrading the project to the next version. Then when / if you decide to upgrade, just merge the branch to your main branch. Or if you decide you don't want, delete the branch.

I've had nightmarish version upgrades that broke several things and took me several days to get back running. No way I'm going to work for that long on anything without version control. :P

How does this work? Do you not ignore you library folder?

If I upgrade from 2019.2 to 2019.3, things reimport and get changed in the library. And if I tried to change branch those changes wouldn't revert.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
How does this work? Do you not ignore you library folder?

If I upgrade from 2019.2 to 2019.3, things reimport and get changed in the library. And if I tried to change branch those changes wouldn't revert.

You can simply delete the library and obj folders whenever you change versions; Unity will recreate them (obviously do this with Unity closed, but since you have to close one Unity version and open the other, you can do that in between).

If you find yourself changing from main to the branch so often that it's much of a hassle, you can of course copy the project folder / clone the project, but always with an actual branch backing the changes in the "upgraded" version. You never know how long it will take you to find and fix all the broken stuff when changing versions, and you don't want to have a nagging pressure in the back of your mind to commit these changes to the main branch because they're not comitted anywhere else.

acmshar

Nov 26, 2017
You can simply delete the library and obj folders whenever you change versions; Unity will recreate them (obviously do this with Unity closed, but since you have to close one Unity version and open the other, you can do that in between).

If you find yourself changing from main to the branch so often that it's much of a hassle, you can of course copy the project folder / clone the project, but always with an actual branch backing the changes in the "upgraded" version. You never know how long it will take you to find and fix all the broken stuff when changing versions, and you don't want to have a nagging pressure in the back of your mind to commit these changes to the main branch because they're not comitted anywhere else.

Ah yea that's a good point. I should clarify that for longer running upgrades I'll definitely branch. But I also do just make a local copy sometimes to see if the upgrade might not be too painful.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Ah yea that's a good point. I should clarify that for longer running upgrades I'll definitely branch. But I also do just make a local copy sometimes to see if the upgrade might not be too painful.

That's fair, although for quick and dirty tests I perform them directly on the main folder and just revert if things go south #YOLO :D

Lightus

Oct 25, 2017
You just need a list of these git commands, and you're set for life:
  • git status
  • git config --global alias.[my custom alias] [whatever stuff you need here]
  • Bash:
    git log --graph --abbrev-commit --decorate --format=format:'%C(bold blue)%h%C(reset) - %C(bold cyan)%aD%C(reset) %C(bold green)(%ar)%C(reset)%C(bold yellow)%d%C(reset)%n''          %C(white)%s%C(reset) %C(dim white)- %an%C(reset)' --all
  • Bash:
    git fetch --prune && git branch -vv | awk '$1 !~ /*/ {print $1 " " $4}' | awk '$2 ~ /gone]/ {print $1}' | xargs git branch -D
  • git checkout
  • git checkout --branch [my new branch]
  • git branch
  • git branch --delete [my branch to delete]
  • git pull
  • git push
  • git push --force-with-lease
  • git rebase --interactive HEAD~[number of how many commits to go back from HEAD]

Also not sure if it's been mentioned but make sure to get your scene merging tools set up BEFORE working on your project. I work with volunteer undergrads a lot and I had one who, unbeknownst to me, was manually merging his scene changes every time. I asked him why he only pushed once a day and he said it took him hours sometimes to fix his merge conflicts. Felt really bad for him but had no way of knowing since he worked from home mostly haha.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
You should be able to audit each individual course for free, from their individual pages. The option to audit is a bit hidden, you may need to scroll down on the Enroll popup.

When auditing you get access to all of the materials; you just don't get exams, nor get a certificate at the end.
Ok thanks! I'll let her know so she can look into it.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wow that bug would drive me up the wall lol

Unity needs to implement support for exclusive fullscreen so GSync can work.

Have yet to play a Unity game that supports this.
IIRC you can turn it on through a command line argument:

A common solution is to default to one mode and then allow the user to override it if they want/need. Users can specify the fullscreen window mode by using the standalone player command line argument -window-mode with either exclusive or borderless values when launching the game, e.g., -window-mode exclusive. This could be set up by users in Steam, or alternatively a custom launcher could be created to allow users to select this setting before launching the game with the custom launch options.