• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
So quick video of the new engine update

So there is some legit great stuff in that video, I have already gone though the new HDRP sample and its fantastic and shows off the new HD systems VERY well for users to understand. However the biggest news with this release is THEY FIXED TIME.DELTATIME!

Since I know most users are not Unity devs here but have played Unity games, here is a gif to give you an idea of what you've probably experienced camera movement wise while using Unity.

Before Community Fix (worst case):
image-asset.gif

After Community Fix:
image-asset.gif

The fix for this from the dev who made this gif wasn't the hardest, but it required messing with stuff that could cause other issues in your game. This issue is now FINALLY resolved and you can make much smoother camera movement without doing anything crazy!

Unity posted a whole blog detailing how they fixed it here.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
Omfg. I'll be waiting for a LTS release before using 2020 but it's the best news this month.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Wow good on them for fixing this! I have noticed this sort of jerky movement in so many games, even non-Unity ones.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
Oh neat - I always seem to run into this jerky camera movement late, when I'm optimizing all sorts of performance issues. I've read that exact user's article many times, though I'll admit I don't think I was ever smart enough to fix it on my own.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Is this the bug I notice when playing at non 60fps? I have to set my monitor to 60fps for games like Outer Wilds because the camera is super jerky at 144 Hz.

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Is this the bug I notice when playing at non 60fps? I have to set my monitor to 60fps for games like Outer Wilds because the camera is super jerky at 144 Hz.
They go over why in the blog post, but yeah pretty much. When you do camera movement you should be multiplying it by Time.DeltaTime, but at over 60fps the jank becomes SUPER noticeable.

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
How easy is it to get into Unity? as someone with 0 experience in programming where should I even begin?

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
How easy is it to get into Unity? as someone with 0 experience in programming where should I even begin?
i got you brah

and then watch the rest of his videos depending on what you want to do within Unity and you are going to be on a good fast track.

Also no shame in copy pasting code found online or using assets, one of the best ways to learn is by deconstructing others code. I found a Mario Galaxy like code I was using for a Marble game and then later transformed that system into a gravity based grapple hook for a FPS game because I was able to understand what the code was doing lol

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Unity is a good starting point for 3D, but I find it odd and cumbersome for 2D, where I prefer something like Godot.

You'll have to learn some coding though. I'd go through a Udemy course if you want to start learning it. They're often on sale for under $10.

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
Unity is a good starting point for 3D, but I find it odd and cumbersome for 2D, where I prefer something like Godot.

You'll have to learn some coding though. I'd go through a Udemy course if you want to start learning it. They're often on sale for under $10.
Nice! thanks for the info, ill look into Udemy.

and then watch the rest of his videos depending on what you want to do within Unity and you are going to be on a good fast track.

Also no shame in copy pasting code found online or using assets, one of the best ways to learn is by deconstructing others code. I found a Mario Galaxy like code I was using for a Marble game and then later transformed that system into a gravity based grapple hook for a FPS game because I was able to understand what the code was doing lol

Thanks, im definitely watching this now

CTRON

Jul 16, 2020
Was hoping for DualSense support, but it' probably very low on their priority list.

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i got you brah

Thanks for this. I did some C# and .Net stuff in college and want to get back to it.

Urishizu

Dead Drop Studios Founder
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Oh boy... I have 6 project upgrades and somewhere around 30 independent releases I need to update across 6 platforms somewhere in my not too distant future... I need that deltaTime fix goodness....

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Don't settle for any less than an amazing, full University of Michigan course... that just happens to be free:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/in...ome-help-learn-show-and-tell.463/post-5908836

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Due to them switching to the 2 releases per year schedule 2020.2 is super stable, was such a smart idea to ditch the 3 releases

Now this is interesting. Currently on 2019.2, might make the switch especially if 2020 fixes a long-standing issue with interrupting animations locking values instead of resetting them to the default.

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Now this is interesting. Currently on 2019.2, might make the switch especially if 2020 fixes a long-standing issue with interrupting animations locking values instead of resetting them to the default.
Might as well back up a project and give it a shot is what I do lol

LTS version shouldn't be too far behind.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
That's a huge fix and something that has always felt noticeable even when I started with it. Really glad it's done.

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Also to re-iterate a previous point about the sample scene
Rdop17Q.png

Not only does this new HDRP sample scene look great, it has A LOT of examples that HDRP uses that can help get you started using it right away, everything from post process volumes, VFX graph, Shader Graph, Decals, etc. It's all in the scene.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I'm starting to do some unity development so hey maybe this will help me in a couple years when I know what it means!
I want to make a rtwp RPG eventually but I'm going to start with mobile games.

acmshar

Nov 26, 2017
This is great. I read that blog post back in October but I completely forgot about it. Looking forward to upgrading to the LTS.

Might as well back up a project and give it a shot is what I do lol

LTS version shouldn't be too far behind.

In the blog post they say spring 2021. I was hoping for a bit sooner since they went to 2 releases per year, but oh well.

I'm going to assume by "back up" you mean "create a branch" because you obviously have your project under source control. :)

1. You should absolutely be using source control.
2. I still do local backups for upgrading so I don't have to clone a repo or reimport from scratch. This isn't as much of a concern for newer/smaller projects, though.

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to do some unity development so hey maybe this will help me in a couple years when I know what it means!
I want to make a rtwp RPG eventually but I'm going to start with mobile games.
So when you do any sort of movement over time, you essentially want to multiply it by Time.deltaTime which is the time between the last frame and the current, the issue was Unity was treating the time between frames as the same across the board but FPS fluctuates so that's never true. This caused A LOT of issues with looking around.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap, I had no idea this was an engine level Unity bug.

Obra Dinn and Umurangi Generation both have this issue.

I wonder if the devs will go back and fix it now...

I imagine updating the Unity version is a bit of work.

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap, I had no idea this was an engine level Unity bug.

Obra Dinn and Umurangi Generation both have this issue.

I wonder if the devs will go back and fix it now...

I imagine updating the Unity version is a bit of work.
It honestly depends, I have had projects that have updated super smoothly and others that took weeks to months to get up to an acceptable level.

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
One of the most interesting technical blog posts I've read recently. Glad to see this fix is making it into the live build.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
So quick video of the new engine update

So there is some legit great stuff in that video, I have already gone though the new HDRP sample and its fantastic and shows off the new HD systems VERY well for users to understand. However the biggest news with this release is THEY FIXED TIME.DELTATIME!

Since I know most users are not Unity devs here but have played Unity games, here is a gif to give you an idea of what you've probably experienced camera movement wise while using Unity.

Before Community Fix (worst case):
image-asset.gif

After Community Fix:
image-asset.gif

The fix for this from the dev who made this gif wasn't the hardest, but it required messing with stuff that could cause other issues in your game. This issue is now FINALLY resolved and you can make much smoother camera movement without doing anything crazy!

Unity posted a whole blog detailing how they fixed it here.

Can you post a link to the developer who made those GIFS and how they fixed it before this update?

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Can you post a link to the developer who made those GIFS and how they fixed it before this update?
Here ya go

www.kinematicsoup.com

Timesteps and Achieving Smooth Motion in Unity — KinematicSoup Technologies Inc.

One of the most intensely debated topics in the Unity community is how to go about removing jerky movement from games, and rightfully so. The issue is universal to all engines, and is directly derived from what timesteps your engine uses. There is no single solution that works for every situation, b

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really happy with this update, it's mostly about quality-of-life, speed/stability of the editor and rendering, and making the Universal Render Pipeline feel like a real system rather than a preview. Much better than throwing in tons of huge new features destabilizing everything and breaking builds. For VR gaming especially, anything to smooth out timing is very important!

Last edited:

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
very cool update! Unity continues to make very nice improvements. Really would love to get back to it someday, fun watching it get updated in the meantime.

Hidant

Oct 27, 2017
Nice! thanks for the info, ill look into Udemy.

Thanks, im definitely watching this now

Check out this link
yofreesamples.com

FREE Udemy Courses List - 4/1/2024 - Udemy 100% Off Coupon List

Knowledge is power! Enjoy this great list of free courses for Udemy. This list focuses only on Udemy courses that have gone free recently with a coupon.

There are always some limited time Free courses, programming related they tend to be mostly Python related and sometimes there are some C courses mixed in, can't speak of their quality tho cause I'm not a programmer.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Nice. Good news for future Unity projects. Here's to hoping some devs consider going back and fixing older games that suffer from this issue.

Lil Peanut Brotha

Motion Graphics Artist at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA

Depends on how much actual programming you want to learn. Not sure the Unity equivalent, but UE4 has Nodes which can cover loads on a basic level and is a lot more visual in nature https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/ProgrammingAndScripting/Blueprints/UserGuide/Nodes/index.html

blogs.unity3d.com

Bolt visual scripting is now included in all Unity plans | Unity Blog

A short while ago, Unity announced the acquisition of the Bolt visual scripting Asset from developer Ludiq. Now that the integration and technical transition of Bolt to Unity is complete, we are very happy to announce the next step in our plan to deliver visual scripting to all Unity creators:

While not as full featured yet, this plugin is getting integrated as Unity's answer to blueprints and they just made it free for all users.

Unreal has so much starter content and free out of the box solutions it's crazy. But I learned unity these last couple years and like it a lot in many ways too though. I don't think you can go wrong

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
blogs.unity3d.com

Bolt visual scripting is now included in all Unity plans | Unity Blog

A short while ago, Unity announced the acquisition of the Bolt visual scripting Asset from developer Ludiq. Now that the integration and technical transition of Bolt to Unity is complete, we are very happy to announce the next step in our plan to deliver visual scripting to all Unity creators:

While not as full featured yet, this plugin is getting integrated as Unity's answer to blueprints and they just made it free for all users.

Unreal has so much starter content and free out of the box solutions it's crazy. But I learned unity these last couple years and like it a lot in many ways too though. I don't think you can go wrong
Yeah UE4 and Unity are both fantastic choices, and we have another contender entering the ring with Unigine 2

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Unity needs to implement support for exclusive fullscreen so GSync can work.

Have yet to play a Unity game that supports this.