• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Today a convoy of protesters has entered and Ottawa, dubbed United We Roll. They're here in support of the pipeline, anti-carbon tax and other environmental legislation but they're also bringing a large amount of anti-immigration rhetoric and outright racism.

The protest is currently ongoing alongside counter protests supporting indigenous rights and opposing racism.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/truck-convoy-red-deer-ottawa-arnprior-1.5024229
After nearly five days of driving, a convoy of hundreds of pro-pipeline supporters has reached Ottawa for a mass protest against the Liberal government's energy and environmental policies.

The United We Roll convoy has also become a lightning rod for anti-immigrant sentiments, forcing organizers to try to distance themselves from the so-called yellow vest movement.

The convoy rally is expected to bring parts of downtown Ottawa to a halt over the next two days. Street closures are planned around Parliament Hill to make room for about 200 or more semi-trailers, pickup trucks, cars and buses.

Supporters have also raised concerns about Canada signing on to a non-binding UN compact on global migration. The 36-page document lays out a collaborative approach to dealing with growing global migration, and sets out 23 objectives for treating migrants humanely and efficiently.
Carritt said Canada's borders "need to be controlled" by Canada and its citizens, not the United Nations.

He had originally referred to his group as the "yellow vest convoy," but renamed it United We Roll after it was linked to extremist elements. The yellow vest movement started in France late last year when protesters took to the streets against rising fuel prices.

The Canadian Anti-Hate Network has been warning the convoy is giving a platform to hateful ideas.

"This convoy is a Yellow Vests Canada convoy, and any well-meaning pro-pipeline individuals involved are in fact legitimizing and breathing oxygen into the broader Yellow Vests Canada movement, which spreads hate, conspiracy theories and death threats targeting Muslims, politicians and other Canadians," said Evan Balgord, the group's executive director.

Last edited:

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
It's too bad - there's a genuine message buried in this about the economic hardships faced by Albertans and the resultant anxieties that is worth hearing. Even if I don't think pipelines are a great solution, they should be heard.

But, just like the Canadian yellow vest protests, they can't seem to keep that message from getting polluted with racism, xenophobia and anti-international sentiment. And I can't tell if this comes from a poisonous subset of these people or if it is a sentiment shared by the entire group. Some of the proponents of these movements say their biggest strength is the lack of leadership, but leadership would (hopefully) focus the economic message and filter that fucking garbage out.

Maybe I'm giving it more credit that it deserves though - maybe its all one movement, just like Brexit and Trump.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn. So embarrassing.

Think about what could happen in your life or your brain to get you to protest in SUPPORT OF A FUCKING OIL COMPANY

Is this like the entirety of r/metacanada or what

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
t. Some of the proponents of these movements say their biggest strength is the lack of leadership.

I'm gonna go with no. Salvini and Trump we're successful in making these messages popular precisely because they could organise the hatred and give them targets.

Yellow jackets in France are just chaos now

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's too bad - there's a genuine message buried in this about the economic hardships faced by Albertans and the resultant anxieties that is worth hearing. Even if I don't think pipeline are a great solution, they should be heard.

But, just like the Canadian yellow vest protests, they can't seem to keep that message from co-mingling with racism, xenophobia and anti-international sentiment. Some of the proponents of these movements say their biggest strength is the lack of leadership, but leadership would (hopefully) focus the economic message and filter that fucking garbage out.

Maybe I'm giving it more credit that it deserves though - maybe its all one movement, just like Brexit and Trump.

Its frustrating to see a pro-pipeline mixed in with completely ignorant stuff like "Charge Trudeau with treason", "No open borders" because their is a legitimate case for a pipeline but the other stuff is just some alt-right ignorance. Due to this its difficult to take these guys seriously and also it discredits the message for a legitimate need for a pipeline because its now being lumped together with all this other bullshit.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Goddamn. So embarrassing.

Think about what could happen in your life or your brain to get you to protest in SUPPORT OF A FUCKING OIL COMPANY

Is this like the entirety of r/metacanada or what

Not to defend the idiocy on display here, but I'm guessing a lot of these folks are former oilfield workers whose careers and livelihoods were completely taken away when they lost their jobs.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
So the Trans Mountain clusterfuck isn't enough we need another one with Energy East as well?

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not to defend the idiocy on display here, but I'm guessing a lot of these folks are former oilfield workers whose careers and livelihoods were completely taken away when they lost their jobs.

Yeah, I hear you. But this is not exactly new, either. I don't remember horseshoe makers and typesetters marching on capitals (then again... Luddites, ok). I'm being a bit facetious here – these people are numerous and formed huge industries, of course. But I detest this notion that they would bemoan industry shifts while at the same time shitting on immigrants and new sectors that would give them jobs, like green energy.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
I'm dying at DIRTY FOREIGN OIL

Also uh OPEN BORDERS? I mean yeah Trumpland's a mess right now but I don't think we need to build a wall, maaaybe let's see how the US 2020 election goes first.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It's too bad - there's a genuine message buried in this about the economic hardships faced by Albertans and the resultant anxieties that is worth hearing. Even if I don't think pipelines are a great solution, they should be heard.
I can't remember a time in my life when Alberta hasn't been antagonistic towards the rest of Canada. When fortunes are low, they're angry over energy policy, when fortunes are high, they're like "fuck you, got mine, here's some social conservatism to much on."

Lmao do they realize that Trudeau is pro-pipeline as well?
Yes, but he's going to fill that pipeline with Muslims and pump them into rural Alberta.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Pipeline I think is needed but mixing it with the other hateful and useless demands do a lot to hurt their stance.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I'm dying at DIRTY FOREIGN OI

We can have dirty domestic oil.

We need more pipelines and less brown people.

can't remember a time in my life when Alberta hasn't been antagonistic towards the rest of Canada. When fortunes are low, they're angry over energy policy, when fortunes are high, they're like "fuck you, got mine, here's some social conservatism to much on."

That sounds about right.

Yes, Canada is changing a lot since Trump won. We are pretty much affected by his shitty stance. I just hope the Cons won't win this coming fall election.

I don't think Canada has changed, just that we are seeing the same tactics being used by the right.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I can't remember a time in my life when Alberta hasn't been antagonistic towards the rest of Canada. When fortunes are low, they're angry over energy policy, when fortunes are high, they're like "fuck you, got mine, here's some social conservatism to much on."

You're not necessarily wrong but I think it's a little more complex than you make out. Alberta is the major economic engine in Canada with the highest GDP per capita and largest GDP per capita difference from the rest of Canada. That results in a significant amount of money flowing out of Alberta, which can frustrate people during an economic downturn. The equalization payment system is good if everyone's best interests are at heart, but in many cases, Alberta's conflict with the other provinces and the population distribution in Canada means that it is difficult to establish a firm voice in Ottawa. Full disclosure - I was born in Ontario and raised in Alberta, and work in a profession that is not significantly affected by economic forces. So I don't really have an iron in the fire here - I'm just trying to say that there is more complexity to the issue and brushing aside these concerns is not going to make them go away.

Also, to the social conservatism bit - you realize there has been an NDP government here for the past 4 years, right? Ontario is currently Canada's capital of social conservatism.

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why can't the right be sensible anywhere in this world?

Fine I can understand supporting pipelines and other consevative economic policies, but why do they also have to be racist as fuck? Is hating immigrants a part of demanding low taxes?

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
Why can't the right be sensible anywhere in this world?

Fine I can understand supporting pipelines and other consevative economic policies, but why do they also have to be racist as fuck? Is hating immigrants a part of demanding low taxes?

"Why do my taxes pay for the lazy mooslim to take 5 goverment paychecks per week? Why does the brown refugee get free housing and food?"

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
You're not necessarily wrong but I think it's a little more complex than you make out. Alberta is the major economic engine in Canada with the highest GDP per capita and largest GDP per capita difference from the rest of Canada. That results in a significant amount of money flowing out of Alberta, which can frustrate people during an economic downturn. The equalization payment is good if everyone's best interests are at heart, but in many cases, Alberta's conflict with the other provinces and the population distribution in Canada means that it is difficult to establish a firm voice in Ottawa.

Also, to the social conservatism bit - you realize there has been an NDP government here for the past 4 years, right? Ontario is currently Canada's capital of social conservatism.
Alberta put most of their economic chips on a volatile sector, though, so they're more likely to hit those extreme highs and lows. As for federal politics, they were the birthplace and driving force behind the Reform Party, which took over as the national Conservative party, and shifted that voice severely to the right.

As for Doug Ford, I'm deeply ashamed my province voted for him, but he ran on literally no platform. All of the current fuckery he's involved with came to light after he got into office.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
It absolutely is, There are a lot of stupid racist people here especially from Alberta and Saskatchewan.

Again - I'll just highlight that Alberta currently has an NDP government, meanwhile, on the subject of stupid and racist, Ontario has recently elected it's fucking second Ford - this time as their premier - and Quebec continues to be a hotbed of anti-immigrant sentiment.

Alberta put most of their economic chips on a volatile sector, though, so they're more likely to hit those extreme highs and lows. As for federal politics, they were the birthplace and driving force behind the Reform Party, which took over as the national Conservative party, and shifted that voice severely to the right.

No doubt - Alberta's economy needs diversity and needs to get fucking green, fast. It's waaaay past due and is seemingly trapped in a never-ending political-economic cycle. And I'm not arguing about right wing views coming out of Alberta, just saying your portrait of the Canadian landscape is out of date and selective.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again - I'll just highlight that Alberta currently has an NDP government, meanwhile, on the subject of stupid and racist, Ontario has recently elected it's fucking second Ford as their premier and Quebec continues to try to be a hotbed of anti-immigrant sentiment. But I guess that doesn't fit your narrative, so we'll leave those tidbits aside.

No doubt - Alberta's economy needs diversity and needs to get fucking green, fast. It's waaaay past due and is seemingly trapped in a never-ending political-economic cycle. And I'm not arguing about right wing views coming out of Alberta, just saying your portrait of the Canadian landscape is out of date and selective.
I live in Saskatchewan and see the stupid racist comments every day, If you don't think Alberta is full of it than you are insane. Ontario is far from immune to it either especially with trash like Doug Ford. Ideally Alberta will relect the NDP but there's a chance they might not which is a shame because Jason Kenney is hot garbage as well.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Again - I'll just highlight that Alberta currently has an NDP government, meanwhile, on the subject of stupid and racist, Ontario has recently elected it's fucking second Ford as their premier and Quebec continues to try to be a hotbed of anti-immigrant sentiment. But I guess that doesn't fit your narrative, so we'll leave those tidbits aside.

Isn't Jason Kenney pretty much guaranteed to win. I thought NDP only won because the right wing vote was split?

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Canadian right-wing Facebook seems to be just as bad as American right-wing Facebook.
Something really needs to be done to stop people from influencing all these impressionable idiots.

They're idiots. Their message is "we want a pipeline and also this racist stuff because we've internalized it so much that we cannot separate it from any other issues now."

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I live in Saskatchewan and see the stupid racist comments every day, If you don't think Alberta is full of it than you are insane. Ontario is far from immune to it either especially with trash like Doug Ford. Ideally Alberta will relect the NDP but there's a chance they might not.

I'm not insane, I agree with you - I just take umbrage that it is "especially" in Alberta and Saskatchewan. We are seeing really troubling things in Ontario and Quebec - the whole country has to look inward at what is going on.

Isn't Jason Kenney pretty much guaranteed to win. I thought NDP only won because the right wing vote was split?

He's very likely to win, yeah. I was just arguing with the depiction of the uniformity with which Alberta votes - the NDP has a majority here currently. In general, I just like to remind people that progressive Albertans (a) exist and (b) there's quite a few of us. Yes, the vote was split - but that's a democratic system. We're more used the left vote being split in Canada between NDP and liberals, so it's high time the right vote started splitting sometimes (for example , I'm really crossing my that Maxime Bernier fucks over the CPC hard with just such a split)

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not insane, I agree with you - I just take umbrage that it is "especially" in Alberta and Saskatchewan. We are seeing really troubling things in Ontario and Quebec - the whole country has to look inward at what is going on.

He's very likely to win, yeah. I was just arguing with the depiction of the uniformity with which Alberta votes - the NDP has a majority here currently. In general, I just like to remind people that progressive Albertans (a) exist and (b) there's quite a few of us. Yes, the vote was split - but that's a democratic system. We're more used the left vote being split in Canada, so it's high time the right vote started splitting some times (for example , I'm really crossing my that Maxime Bernier fucks over the CPC hard with just such a split)
I'd like to see that to and I definitely wasn't saying that Ontario and Quebec don't have the same problem. It just feels prevelant where I am and I know Alberta is not much different, it sucks because I can't stand any of the conservative parties around.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
You're not necessarily wrong but I think it's a little more complex than you make out. Alberta is the major economic engine in Canada with the highest GDP per capita and largest GDP per capita difference from the rest of Canada. That results in a significant amount of money flowing out of Alberta, which can frustrate people during an economic downturn. The equalization payment system is good if everyone's best interests are at heart, but in many cases, Alberta's conflict with the other provinces and the population distribution in Canada means that it is difficult to establish a firm voice in Ottawa. Full disclosure - I was born in Ontario and raised in Alberta, and work in a profession that is not significantly affected by economic forces. So I don't really have an iron in the fire here - I'm just trying to say that there is more complexity to the issue and brushing aside these concerns is not going to make them go away.

The con government in Alberta during the oil boom did everything to make sure it was going to fuck over citizens by putting all their eggs into one basket and cutting taxes. The people did it to themselves

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I don't think anything further has come out about the organizer other than he claims he didn't run away with the money.

Andrew Scheer and his resting smirk face is getting a bit of heat for speaking at the event alongside everyone's favourite ex Rebel Media darling Faith Goldy.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/united-we-roll-1.5030419

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2019/02/26/andrew-scheer-yellow-vests-canada_a_23678596/

People's Party of Canada Leader Maxime Bernier also appeared at the rally and posed for pictures with attendees.
Conservative Sen. David Tkachuk also attended and sparked controversy when he asked the crowd of truckers to "roll over every Liberal left in the country."

l0kE7qZ.jpg

What was initially just a sprinkling of fridge racism and anti-immigration stuff is slowly becoming a core tenant of this 'movement.' It's only going to get worse, I think.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
I don't think anything further has come out about the organizer other than he claims he didn't run away with the money.

Andrew Scheer and his resting smirk face is getting a bit of heat for speaking at the event alongside everyone's favourite ex Rebel Media darling Faith Goldy.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/united-we-roll-1.5030419

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2019/02/26/andrew-scheer-yellow-vests-canada_a_23678596/

l0kE7qZ.jpg

What was initially just a sprinkling of fridge racism and anti-immigration stuff is slowly becoming a core tenant of this 'movement.' It's only going to get worse, I think.

And a new movement is ruing black hats now...Why do people that follow these sentiments think demanding all of this stuff would work in tandem?

Oct 25, 2017
Trudeau nationalized Kinder Morgan and has been as supportive of the oil industry as can be. This is basically a Conservative Party protest and the media should dub it as such. The random racist people involved just drives the point home.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
And a new movement is ruing black hats now...Why do people that follow these sentiments think demanding all of this stuff would work in tandem?

I have no idea. I still don't really understand how the whole 'we're out of work, the price of oil sucks, we need that pipeline' sentiment attracted all the anti-immigration stuff.

I mean, Trudeau even went and bought the pipeline, it's not like he's against it. Yet alongside the pipeline and oil bullet points you've got jail Trudeau for treason, or hang him, plus the immigration and UN stuff. All of that stuff is just making a huge mess and confusing whatever actual point they have.

Which is probably all of them stirred together, so maybe they aren't misrepresenting themselves at all. They're just out of work, angry rural white dudes.