• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
https://www.abc15.com/news/national...parate-into-2-denominations-over-lqbtq-issues
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The United Methodist Church may split into two denominations, one that supports same-sex marriage and the ordination of gay people as clergy, and one that doesn't.

Sixteen members of a mediation team for the church released a plan for the proposed separation on Friday. It would give the new "traditionalist Methodist" denomination $25 million and allow it to keep its local church properties.

Under the plan, the new traditionalist faction would continue restricting marriage and the clergy, while the remaining faction would restructure its policies to include LGBTQ inclusion.
Here's an idea? How about just have one denomination that is inclusive to LGBT and that's it! How hard is it to not be a bigot?

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I used to go to a United Methodist church, and the conflict over LGBT inclusion is precisely why I stopped going in the mid-2000s. Maybe I might actually entertain visiting a pro-LGBT (Dis)United Methodist church, once this schism is resolved. For nostalgia's sake, since I'm an atheist now.

jimtothehum

Mar 23, 2018
I talked to my dad who is very involved in his local Methodist church, he's not sure what's gonna happen, but he saw the divide as a US-centric church that is LGBT friendly and another church that is for the rest of the world who's views on the matter haven't quite caught up.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
Aren't methodists supposed to be one of the least shitty denominations? I guess least bad is still bad.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
The bible says nothing about homosexuality. The Old Testament encourages the Jewish people to be reproductive as part of a comprehensive but outdated Mosaic law. The sins of Sodom and Gomorrah are clearly listed as pride, greed, adultery, and rape.

Furthermore, advocating for LGBTQIA+ rights and representation is simply the Christian thing to do. It is exactly the kind of thing that would have distinguished Jesus from his dogmatic contemporaries.

Good on the Methodists.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Aren't methodists supposed to be one of the least shitty denominations? I guess least bad is still bad.

They're generally one of the more chill/less judgey denominations, yeah. Except when it comes to gay people, I guess.

This is shameful. Why do so many Christians obsess over a topic that is never even mentioned in the gospel? Why is this the only thing from Leviticus they pay attention to?

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
They're generally one of the more chill/less judgey denominations, yeah. Except when it comes to gay people, I guess.

This is shameful. Why do so many Christians obsess over a topic that is never even mentioned in the gospel? Why is this the only thing from Leviticus they pay attention to?
They are just using religion as an excuse for bigotry. It's just a means to an end to justify being hateful.

VentusGallius

Oct 25, 2017
There is a guy I used to play wow with who I thought was gay but eventually became a Methodist minister. Thought it was odd but I guess some parts of their ministry are more open?

Marz

Oct 30, 2017
The bible says nothing about homosexuality. The Old Testament encourages the Jewish people to be reproductive as part of a comprehensive but outdated Mosaic law. The sins of Sodom and Gomorrah are clearly listed as pride, greed, adultery, and rape.

Furthermore, advocating for LGBTQIA+ rights and representation is simply the Christian thing to do. It is exactly the kind of thing that would have distinguished Jesus from his dogmatic contemporaries.

Good on the Methodists.

I looked up the chapters with Sodom and Gomorrah in them and 2 angels come to Lots house to rescue him. Then the men of Sodom come to Lots house demanding him to open the door so they may "know" the 2 men. Lot implores them to cease this "wickedness" and instead offers up his 2 daughters for the men to do with as they want.

So I believe that the context is that sleeping with men is "wicked" and it would be better for Lot to allow his 2 daughters to be raped than for his guests to be raped.

You can't make this shit up.

Rodan

Nov 3, 2017
I looked up the chapters with Sodom and Gomorrah in them and 2 angels come to Lots house to rescue him. Then the men of Sodom come to Lots house demanding him to open the door so they may "know" the 2 men. Lot implores them to cease this "wickedness" and instead offers up his 2 daughters for the men to do with as they want.

So I believe that the context is that sleeping with men is "wicked" and it would be better for Lot to allow his 2 daughters to be raped than for his guests to be raped.

I believe Lot was defending the angels because they were GUESTS of his house, not because he feels so strongly against homosexuality. Still fucked up that he offered up his daughters, of course.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
It's sad that this has become such a wedge issue. Methodists I've known have been pretty chill about LGBTQ people and even the ones that took issue with it were more "hate the sin, love the sinner" about it. I hope the bulk of people go with the better side to show the others just how bad their way of thinking on it is.

It's meant to be a lesson in hospitality. The angels didn't want to be "known" by the townpeople. As their host, it was Lot's responsibility to protect his guests (over the safety of his own daughters but that's a whole other thing to unpack). For sure there's a "homosexuality bad" part of the message but it was just the icing on the cake that was the real lesson.

GatsGatsby

Oct 27, 2017
West Columbia, SC
Wonder what the church I went to will go with. I stopped going because I saw how hypocritical a lot of the people at that church were especially the older ones that were in charge.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
I wonder which will be more popular
My guess is that the traditionalist will keep the vast majority of churches outside of the US, Canada and Europe. A big reason that group got the majority was because of growth from developing nations. But here, the LGBT-friendly group will definitely dominate.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017

That's not quite correct.

The reason Lot offered his daughters was not because they were female, but because it was an offer.

The point being: Lot wanted to be hospitable to the "angels" who were staying with him (who are technically asexual, but supposedly appeared male-like?). So no, in God's eyes, the inhospitality was seen as a grave sin, but offering up children for sexual intercourse was quite normal.

As Volimar said, it was Lot's responsibility to protect his guests, for they were strangers (and God's angels, at that!) who needed protecting.

Jun 20, 2019
The LGBT supportive churches fought pretty hard to get LGBT recognition. Strange reaction here, this is a large group of Christians willing to force the issue and split the church in order to take a stand in favor of LGBT rights.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017

I took a theology class in college about twenty years ago and that part of the Old Testament came up. I forget the details, but IIRC the professor stated that the homosexuality aspect is a mis-reading of the passage due to translation over time. Basically the original intent of the passage was the men of Sodom wanted Lot's guests to come outside and identify themselves. IIRC, the word used in the original text "to know" is slightly different from the sexual "to know", but over time translations caused both words to become the same word.

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
The LGBT supportive churches fought pretty hard to get LGBT recognition. Strange reaction here, this is a large group of Christians willing to force the issue and split the church in order to take a stand in favor of LGBT rights.
I'm happy for this to happen, but it's sad they had to fight for this in the first place. So much for loving your neighbor >.>

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did the Methodists ever get around to kicking out Jeff Sessions before all this came down?

Frankish

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Dang I wonder what will happen to my church. The pastor seems like a good dude I hope he's on the right side here. Or do we take a vote? So weird.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
Dang I wonder what will happen to my church. The pastor seems like a good dude I hope he's on the right side here. Or do we take a vote? So weird.

It's going to be a vote just like last year.

A friend of mine is a (United) Methodist. They had a Q&A session last year after the 2019 convention. They'll probably discuss this tomorrow, too, since it's reached mainstream news.

cosmicspooks

Oct 29, 2017
Oh man, I remember when it came out that the Methodist Church was like, planning on not supporting LGBTQ people. It sent my mom, who has been very involved in her church like, her whole life, into a real crisis.
"Guess God is dead now! Guess I gotta hate Jesus! Should I like, set fire to the church, or...?"

It made me very proud to hear her stand up for the moral thing and be ready to drop something so important to her haha

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
Funny because the denomination I was raised in officially wouldn't ordain women. Yet they still did. The objections on the the subject all came from Europe and Asia.
Given the number of gay Christians I've known, it might not be insane for some churches to split.

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Did you get to the part where his daughters rape him later on?

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The bible says nothing about homosexuality.

You're quite wrong on this. There are passages in Leviticus as well as the Pauline epistles specifically calling out homosexuality as sin. As with anything it's up for interpretation but your statement is categorically false.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
You're quite wrong on this. There are passages in Leviticus as well as the Pauline epistles specifically calling out homosexuality as sin. As with anything it's up for interpretation but your statement is categorically false.

Definitely up for interpretation, as is much of the Bible. Interpretations against homosexuality aren't that old, and depend more on the time.

I'm not going to sit here and pretend that for the people who think being gay matters, "it was written different". But if you start digging deeper into the Bible, understand how certain versions were highly influenced by the thinking of the time, you might stop and think...