• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you be ok to share

• Yes, male or female, we're all human beings

Votes: 913 76.6%
  • No, that's getting too familiar

Votes: 279 23.4%

• Total voters

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
Ah this idea would go out the window as soon as males have to wait to use the toilet. At least in a corporate office with over 500 employees.

Deleted member 33082

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 14, 2017
In Sweden I saw unisex bathrooms everywhere, restaurants, bars, etc.

I can't think of any valid reason why they shouldn't be implemented elsewhere as well, it'd solve issues regarding gender imbalance in certain environments (tech companies, certain uni departments etc.). And if it helps get rid of urinals and replace them with booths all the better, give me some damn privacy.

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
What I mean is, you should think about why you would have a problem with us seeing it but not another guy. Chances are great that we're not interested in seeing your dick anyway (we're there to use the bathroom lol, and lots of us don't care about penises), so I don't think you need to feel embarrassed about a woman accidentally seeing it.

Also, since trans women exist, it very well may have happened before without you knowing. :)
Haha I know I know of course. I'm not that much of a self-absorbed prick. I hope.

But that's the thing though, sometimes even knowing there's no logical reason to feel fear, uncomfortableness, or shyness about something you just do. Colleagues of the opposite sex in the same bathroom while I'm using the urinal just happens to be one of those things that's wayyyy out of my comfort zone.

I'll get over it if the situation is thrust upon me (god forbid :p ) hopefully but let me be honest with my feelings in this hypothetical scenario.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't bother me either way. Most of the issues people have with it seem silly to me.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I just want to take a shit in peace, I don't care who's in there with me.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
My work has two bathrooms that are open to anyone, just make sure you lock the door behind you. Granted, I am the only man on the floor but that doesn't seem to be a problem lol.

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
Just to clarify again. For me,
Communal unisex bathroom, stalls only : Sure, okay.
The above with urinals : Nope not using that wtf.

Somehow this thread is the one I posted in the most since I joined this site... Not what I had in mind when I registered, honest.
*buries head in shame*

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'll be honest that it would probably be a big mental hurdle to overcome, more than it should be, but I think I could manage.

Christor

Oct 25, 2017
I remember working in a house with three other women for a hospital and sharing the same bathroom. Everyone would stink the shit outta it. Even worse is that there's a big gap on the bottom of the door.

To me, I don't give a shit and I'm used to it already lol.

Deleted member 11985

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just to clarify again. For me,
Communal unisex bathroom, stalls only : Sure, okay.
The above with urinals : Nope not using that wtf.

Somehow this thread is the one I posted in the most since I joined this site... Not what I had in mind when I registered, honest.
*buries head in shame*

Sounds like you'll fit right in. We love our toilet threads around here.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, unless it's single occupancy. I wouldn't want to have to change pads/tampons around men in a shared bathroom.

And this is why framing a solution/poll as "the only option", isn't really going to be universally agreed on.

There's nothing wrong with the concept and introduction of unisex bathrooms/spaces, but there are also genuine reasons why having an option for traditional spaces of separation between the sexes isn't inherently discriminatory.

Single occupancy toilets/changing room is, of course, a whole different thing, as then it's a closed space for anyone to use with privacy.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
One place I work at has unisex, but they're all single-person bathrooms. It works out fine, I just wish there were more of them as it seems like someone is just about always using the two in my part of the building.

As for the cleanliness side of things, as someone who has to clean public bathrooms at one of their jobs, men AND women are both fucking disgusting. There's no division based on sex between which people will do horrific things to a bathroom that they don't own or have to clean themselves...

Also, not related to anything in particular, but since it's another ToiletEra thread I figure it never hurts to add in: WASH YOUR DAMN HANDS, PEOPLE!!!

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My only issue is that the wait for a stall would probably be longer

Poutine

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Where I'm working currently all bathrooms are unisex, they are individual stalls with a toilet and a sink. Never had an issue other than some guys leaving the seat up or not flushing after peeing.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If we assume that the conversion would take up all the space previously used by separate restrooms, then there would be just as many if not more stalls available.

Depends. If it's one that replaces the urinals with more stalls then the people who would've used the urinals end up in the stall line. Plus if there was a line to begin with then there already weren't enough stalls to actually shorten the wait for both parties. If there were 3 waiting for 3 stalls and 7 waiting for 3 stalls and those 3 become 6 stalls available there are still 10 people waiting but if you were in the 3 line your longest possible wait goes up

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
From my perspective (trans if that matters) I much preferred the bathroom arrangement at my old job where there was a mix of gendered and ungendered bathrooms. In my experience it can sometimes be a double edged sword for trans and nb people early in transition between wanting to use the bathroom of their chosen gender but also not wanting to have to make a big scary change and overcome a fear or hurdle every single time they have to pee. I don't speak for everyone but because of those experiences I've had myself I prefer both.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
If this is referring to my post, I don't care whether they saw my dick or not. It's just besides in the bedroom, I don't want people of opposite sex around me when I had little brother hanging out, you feel me?

Maybe I also overstate my hypothetical reaction too. I wouldn't scream or break down crying either, but I will definitely remember that encounter as a distinctly uncomfortable memory.

With all due respect, it's not about what you think but how I feel about it :)

It's not about seeing it, in what situation and how do you use a urinal where sometime walking by is going to see it? It's not like they have a trough in these bathrooms, and I'm betting it's not long enough to throw over your shoulder or stand 3 feet away from the urinal

Oct 27, 2017
This is actually a great point. Men's bathrooms without urinals always have piss everywhere. It's disgusting, like these animals have no idea how to control themselves. I'd like to think in a professional work environment this wouldn't happen, but who knows.

I wouldn't be afraid to pee in front of a woman. Obviously I've done that when I was drunk and such while camping. But I also understand that not everyone would be so comfortable. So I'll say I don't care, which isn't an option for voting.
Have you ever seen a women-only bathroom? It isn't much different.

Gakidou

Oct 30, 2017
pip pip cheerio fish & chips
Let me tell u something:

I work in an office that's like over 90% male and we have separate bathrooms, the same amount between m/f
And the women's bathroom is A UTOPIA. Seriously, I sometimes use it to take phonecalls because its quiet and totally chill. We got emergency tampons/pads provided by the company and people feel safe leaving their own cosmetics bags by the sinks. It's so nice.

But yknow, I'd give it all up for unisex bathrooms because I think its the right thing to do.
- It's fair on everyone to have access proportional to their numbers
- makes non binary people more comfortable and safe from being challenged
- demystifying hygiene needs across genders helps promote understanding and break down sexism
- if i want whats best for my company, ill be advocating a more equal percentage of female employees anyway. 'Tis but a paltry minority privilege.

ps: also, ive never heard of a unisex bathroom with urinals before in my life. Is that even a thing?

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unisex individual bathrooms are fine but I have zero desire to share a unisex communal bathroom.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm fine with unisex individual bathrooms and communal bathrooms. My last job had a individual bathroom we all had to share. It really didn't matter as long as people kept the bathroom clean and used the air spray.

I think unisex communal bathrooms would help eliminate the weird idea of the other sex being different. It doesn't need to replace all bathrooms, but I think introducing them wouldn't hurt, and would alleviate line issues in busy spaces like malls and theme parks.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
I don't really give a shit. Funny anecdote though; where I work, everyone considers themselves pretty progressive, and we have a lot of programs revolving around cultural equity and social justice in our particular field. One day we had a big staff meeting at another org's office where the happened to have two multi-stall unisex bathrooms in the meeting space. Almost everyone lost their fucking shit. After like 30 minutes of whining, the office managers for the space we were in came and put some temporary gendered signs on the two restrooms to calm everyone down.

I found it kind of funny (maybe not the right word) that for working somewhere so progressive that people can't fathom taking a shit next to someone with different genitals than them.

The men were more vocal about it than anyone too, which I found extra strange.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
I remember the one year the hotels for Anime North switched their communal bathrooms to unisex (just putting a sign over both old male/female identifiers), and everyone was just impressed by the progressive update... well, most excitement would come from the women entering the room than the men I find.

Since they were temporary swaps at least the old "mens" room still had urinals

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like a good first step would be Women/Men/Unisex being in every building where you need a lot of bathrooms. If the office is small enough to where only one toilet is needed, then it should be fine as is.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Ours are unisex but they're single use bathrooms.
I don't consider those unisex. They are also the best bathrooms.

For open bathrooms I am not a fan of unisex. I am old and don't care who is in the bathroom as long as it is clean, but I can imagine some women not feeling safe having to go to the bathroom with men around.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
I voted no BECAUSE I always feel bad when I see men using the ladies room. I never do it myself unless it is a DIRE emergency. Dudes are gross and I see how my co-workers leave the men's room. I wouldn't wish that on the women.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
No, the toilets are a refuge, don't take that away. Especially for anyone already being harassed/bullied by a member of the opposite sex.

If a place is big enough male, female and unisex ain't a bad idea though, more options not less.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I voted no BECAUSE I always feel bad when I see men using the ladies room. I never do it myself unless it is a DIRE emergency. Dudes are gross and I see how my co-workers leave the men's room. I wouldn't wish that on the women.
As someone who worked in retail... women's public bathrooms are usually worse. There are typically more kids that go in and out of that one, and guys don't use the stalls as often.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Let me tell u something:

I work in an office that's like over 90% male and we have separate bathrooms, the same amount between m/f
And the women's bathroom is A UTOPIA. Seriously, I sometimes use it to take phonecalls because its quiet and totally chill. We got emergency tampons/pads provided by the company and people feel safe leaving their own cosmetics bags by the sinks. It's so nice.

But yknow, I'd give it all up for unisex bathrooms because I think its the right thing to do.
- It's fair on everyone to have access proportional to their numbers
- makes non binary people more comfortable and safe from being challenged
- demystifying hygiene needs across genders helps promote understanding and break down sexism
- if i want whats best for my company, ill be advocating a more equal percentage of female employees anyway. 'Tis but a paltry minority privilege.

ps: also, ive never heard of a unisex bathroom with urinals before in my life. Is that even a thing?
Actually, statistically women need more bathrooms then men. I've been reading Invisible Women by Caroline Criado Perez and due to numerious difference like women get more urinary tract infecrions, being on a period etc. it can take 2.3 times for women to use the toilet compared to men. Alotting 50:50 space does not account for these differences. It certainly explains why when out in public how often I have to cue for the ladies. In the same chapter there were alot of statistics about how in developing countries, the amount of rapes/sexual assaults could be dramatically reduced by just increasing the number of public women's bathrooms. It made the point that making a gender neutral bathroom, that by default, alot of spaces that are deemed gender neutral are treated by people as actually male dominant spaces. Which just means women are not going to actually feel that they are equally comfortable having the gender neutral bathroom at work. Anedoctally, at my work, which is also male dominated, there's both male bathrooms, gender neutral, and a female bathroom. All the women I work with that I know prefer to use the women only bathroom. The gender neutral bathroom is mainly used by the guys.

tokyostomp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to not discount op as he is a sit pisser but it depends on the bathroom. If it's single occupancy than I see no issue with unisex. If it's multiple stalls with giant hinge gaps I can see how someone may not be at ease with that

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
As someone who worked in retail... women's public bathrooms are usually worse. There are typically more kids that go in and out of that one, and guys don't use the stalls as often.
Yeah, that makes perfect sense in a retail situation in which the general public is free to use the same bathrooms as employees. I just don't work in a service industry anymore. If it's the type of work space where only employees are using the restroom, I would feel bad having unisex restrooms.

This applies to both single-occupancy rooms and those intended for multiples users.

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
We have an 'everyone' bathroom at work with European style fully enclosed stalls. It's great. It's a little weird at first, but everyone gets over it very quickly. You are only seeing the opposite sex in a hand-washing area.