• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Uh, late 5 year remaster anniversary.

Quite the story. Developed by Microsoft Game Studios Japan, announced for Japan and Western regions. Then cancelled for the West, had poor sales in the East. But it had been fully localized and eventually released in the West.

It got refreshed on Xbox One 5 years ago. Ther was also a reboot announced and quietly cancelled.

It's a 3d realized action card game. Unique game design, music, style etc. Could it come back again, why no other knock offs?

By the way, it's free:

Get Phantom Dust | Xbox

Phantom Dust for Xbox One and Windows 10 PC is a re-release of the original Xbox classic, adding full Xbox LIVE support, Xbox Play Anywhere, cross-device multiplayer and over 15 hours of single player content. It blends third-person arena combat and collectable card game. Collect 300 unique...

OT here:
www.resetera.com

Phantom Dust |OT| One year later and still FREE

It has been exactly one year since the rerelease of Phantom Dust for Xbox One and W10, and in celebration I decided to move the OT over to ERA as well make a thread so anyone who was unaware this released and is still completely free can get a chance to experience a cult classic. STORE LINK...

Last edited:

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Bought an original Xbox some years ago to play this. Later Microsoft seemingly kicked off/prototyped their BC remasters with this game.
Definitely remember the huge shit show around the remake, they hired some 3rd party to make a trailer that had nothing to do with the game, then canned it.

Anyway, there was no option to remove inverted camera controls on the Xbox version and I couldn't play it, lol.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
A lot of those early Xbox Japanese-dev exclusives are still one of a kind. It's wild.

I'd love to see a first-party embrace that wild spirit again.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of those amazing weird titles I loved about the original Xbox. Still nothing like it since.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
literally the only game anyone points to with "overlooked games on XBOX" which is amusing. i find it hard to call it overlooked nowadays.

also phantom crash is the better xbox phantom game

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The last time I saw him posted, it was a mod/admin too... read your own rules :(

www.resetera.com

"Can We UN-Delete A Pokemon 15 Years After Its Death?" (Nick Robinson Video)

This just happened across my timeline and I'm intrigued by both the idea as well as the incredible efforts these guys are going through to resurrect the patron's beloved Blastoise: In short, a viewer of Robinson's reached out with a request to help him resolve his childhood nightmare of...

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
watched that video last night, pretty interesting stuff. Never played the game, as I never had an xbox, but seeing it now it really does seem ahead of its time. that reboot they were gonna do really didn't seem to have any of the same style at all.

great aesthetic on that old one though, damn

OP
OP
nihilence

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
The last time I saw him posted, it was a mod/admin too... read your own rules :(

www.resetera.com

"Can We UN-Delete A Pokemon 15 Years After Its Death?" (Nick Robinson Video)

This just happened across my timeline and I'm intrigued by both the idea as well as the incredible efforts these guys are going through to resurrect the patron's beloved Blastoise: In short, a viewer of Robinson's reached out with a request to help him resolve his childhood nightmare of...

Didn't know, edited.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Garbage story mode. I played through it all just for the sake of finishing it but goddam the multiplayer is so addicting. I've sunk so many hours into it with friends. It's a shame we don't have many creative 1v1 battle games or games in this style even. Creating your own deck was a grind but once you have access to a bunch of stuff it becomes so empowering to make a dec that wipes people

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Garbage story mode. I played through it all just for the sake of finishing it but goddam the multiplayer is so addicting. I've sunk so many hours into it with friends. It's a shame we don't have many creative 1v1 battle games or games in this style even. Creating your own deck was a grind but once you have access to a bunch of stuff it becomes so empowering to make a dec that wipes people
The actual story is very good though. Crazy for a story mode that basically consists of bot matches.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Eyyy just made a thread yesterday about how a 2nd one would be fantastic. Love this game

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
I don't understand why Microsoft wouldn't take the core gameplay of PD and make it into a free to play game. It feels like it has huge untapped potential.

xmonkeyofevil

Jun 9, 2019
They need to make a Magic the Gathering Phantom Dust clone
There was a game, also on the original Xbox, called "Magic the Gathering: Battlegrounds." Same concept of controlling a caster, gathering orbs as they spawn, and summoning/activating spells from a deck real time to attack your opponent. Biggest difference being that Phantom Dust had large arenas with cover to run around in, and MtG:B was a single flat arena split in two where you couldn't cross over to your opponents side of the field.

Giard

Oct 27, 2017
One of my favorite games ever, loved it so much. I was going to auto-buy the new Xbox console when they announced the new game and...well we know how that went.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The actual story is very good though. Crazy for a story mode that basically consists of bot matches.
It was a nice idea. But the way it's told and the constant back tracking around just made the whole delivery fall flat for me.

Is the multiplayer still active?
Last I checked you could just get random 1v1s if you created a lobby. I'd always be playing custom matches with friends and we'd always get a random or two join every day within a few matches. I'd say you'd have to go searching for some old regulars to find some good competition. It's a shame the learning curve for the game is so high because it gets really fun when you make your own decks.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really think a Steam release would help it, not by an astronomical amount, but I think you would at least see a more constant player base. I wish I lived in a world where the re-release was when MS was all in on Steam lol
Oh if this was on steam it would definitely help. The game is easy enough to download for PC, it's just the barrier of having to use Microsofts platform to download it will curb people from getting it. As much as I love the MP the game was never destined to be a breakout hit. The game being free permanently and owned by MS means we can all at least experience the game for the long foreseeable future easily.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Even though the video has been rightly removed from the thread I have to ask, does this dude have some in with the Youtube algo or something? Even though I've dismissed his videos before I keep seeing them pop up in recommends including this one.