• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Beedle in Breath of the Wild (and to a lesser extent Skyward Sword)

The beetle obsession is... unsettling. He can basically teleport all over Hyrule. And he has a totally different personality on his tiny personal sky island in Skyward Sword.

He's alright in Wind Waker though.
Beedle has meant to be creepy since his introduction in Wind Waker.

He keeps a human skull behind the curtain in the back of his boat in that game.
latest

Not to mention the shop with the heart piece where he proudly displays his merchandise on top of skulls.

file_13623_masked-beedle.png

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The weird way in fallout and elder scroll games that your attention will suddenly snap focus on a appearing npc. Always felt that was creepy as hell

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
@all the Zelda NPC mentions: Zelda characters are intentionally creepy and weird.

Not sure if it was unintentional, but the lake scientist from OoT always gave me the creeps.

@all the Zelda NPC mentions: Zelda characters are intentionally creepy and weird.

Come on, he has a skull head with just two nose holes and his eyes look in opposite directions. Of course he's supposed to be creepy, lol.

BurnKnuckle21

Nov 17, 2017
Every NPC in From games. They're usually in some creature-infested, isolated, dark corner of the map and I always think they're some new enemy at first glance.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
kr7i475crk501.jpg

Malcolm Holmes from FNV

This man will follow you anywhere

anywhere

to warn you about dem bottlecaps

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I definitely feel like the word "unintentionally" is going mostly unheeded in this thread

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Every so often you come across an NPC in a game, who is basically harmless but something about them is creepy, their behaviour, their looks or where they are. Post those characters in this thread, ERA.

My entry is this man in Shenmue III, his skin looks deathly pale compared to the other people and that looks like blood on his clothes. In gameplay he runs a shop selling medicine and is friendly, but he creeps me out.
6lOa92r.jpg

I'm pretty sure that is 100% intentional lol

one of us

Oct 28, 2017
Tingle's conception was and functions as a self-referential joke about the series, but more so making fun of its more overzealous fans. He's quite intentional. :)

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Legend of Zelda, OoT and onward, Hyrule's inhabited by some creepy looking monstrosities passing off as "normal villagers". It's like a nightmare. When people bring up "what fantasy land/world from a video game you'd love to visit/live in", I'd keep that take on Hyrule off my list. Pre-OoT, maybe (had more normal-looking anime-ish characters), but OoT and after, nah, I'm good!

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
latest

I still think Zelda is a low key horror series
t9ZpxcE.png

Link's face is clearly in on the joke. It's repulsive lol

TP's level and character design was fantastic.

Underrated indeed! Anyone who cries ugly just doesn't get it. I actually looove the Goron old men taking on such...unique yet stereotypical "old man" looks. They're beautifully animated in-game too, specifically calling out the top-right fella (with the red/yellow paints) being quite spry (he does yoga?) and medidates before you approach him to chat.

The LITERAL rock-hard nipples is also seriously an amazing choice to follow through on when creating elderly Gorons haha 🤣 👍

6900423137_f074938558_o.jpg

6900420807_a9dfcb22b3_o.jpg

While I'm keen on MOST Great Fairy designs in Zelda games (even ooT/MM), I actually love them pulling off tasteful nudity with Twilight Princess's Great Fairy. She looks so elegant and ethereal; and the colour choices are so beautiful.

03e00e89d0a2bc68d467dae424d44cdc.png

Last edited:

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Holy fuck hahah

Honestly appreciate Jim Carry's Robotnik even more now, cuz that's some creepy uncanny 3D.

Not sure if it was unintentional, but the lake scientist from OoT always gave me the creeps.

This motherfucker being as SERIOUSLY PISSED LOOKING as he is now literally creeped me out as a kid...I hated entering the windmill haha

d33ee8f-58bb248e-5316-4f9e-bf6c-f8f93cafdd9d.png

The fuck.

THE FUCK.

That's 100% murder face and he's just playing that stupid thing.

Baffling. Burn the windmill and Kakariko and its horrid Bottom of the Well to oblivion and start again.

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
People saying Malo is creepy are crazy. What? Malo is probably my favorite character from Twilight Princess! So awesome! A successful entrepreneur.

Malo is threatening while being a tiny child, that I can give you, but not unintentionally creepy!

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Came here for unintentional creepy characters, leaving because of all the intentional creepy/weird Zelda characters being posted. I love them just as much as the rest of you, but come on, it's obvious these characters were intentionally made to look odd. :[

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Assassin's Creed Valhalla? There's a few more:

vf2pfyl1of161.png

Why some games have so many troubles designing kids?

I'm legit curious because there are other games that don't have that problem. Probably Japanese ones because of the anime art style, but I am sure I have seen some non anime kids not looking super creepy.

emperor bohe

Oct 27, 2017
pretty much every NPC from Ocarina of Time creeped me out. keep in mind that I didn't even play the game as a young child, I was late to the party and played the game while I was in high school and they all creeped me out (especially the Fairy and the Owl for some reason)