• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Seeing these comments under BLM posts about the protests, under posts from companies, actors and posts from bands during this situation is making me angry and sometimes making me laugh.

Bands that I'm a fan of - like Thrice or Circa Survive, have made statements and pledged money to important non profit groups that support poc. These posts are peppered with comments from people claiming to be "disappointed" or "I liked you before you became SJWs".

Under Nintendo and Sony's posts you'll see people claim to never buy a game from them again.

And of course the YouTubers who have people vowing to "unsubscribe".

At first it made me angry. But now I think it's funny. They're running out of people to be fans of and by showing opposition to such an important moment in US history, these individuals show that they lack a spine and lack principal.

They'll be buying these products regardless.

Do you think ignoring them is the right approach? Or do you bother to argue with them and tell them to fuck off like Seth Rogen has.

Oct 27, 2017
Seth Rogen was telling people who directly addressed him to fuck off, not going out and finding random racists to tweet

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (2 Months): Inflammatory false equivalence and dismissive commentary towards minority concerns. Pattern of the same behaviour.
Sounds exactly like a bunch of people here. Everyone/everything is cancelled.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think Seth is doing the right thing, but I doubt multinational corporations will feel the same way.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
People who make these kinds of comments lack any sort of conviction and morals. You can't really take anything they say at face value.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
The funniest was the "gamer" who swore off of Sony/MS after their statements, and gloated that Nintendo would never.

Right before Nintendo posted theirs.

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
Enjoy what you enjoy and ignore other fans. Worrying about how other people feel about your hobbies/entertainment will drive you insane.

They're still gonna buy the shit

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Just ignore them. Even if you argue they will delude themselves into thinking they won the argument regardless of what happens.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
they'll be back consuming in no time. they dont have a backbone to actually stick to their words.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
You really think these people gonna not pre order a ps5 the second it's available? lol

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Insecure white people scared at the fact that black people are fed up with yalls shit. Do y'all just tune out the Civil Rights movement in class?

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
They'll be back

1195027-abxw9.png

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
they are just yelling into the void you know, i don't think those people really have strength of their convictions at all

you've to remember that video games is often the only hobby those people have so if all the major providers of video games are united in support of BLM then those people are going to cave in and buy their products because they don't really have any kind of real life outside of their video games

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
Considering all 3 console manufacturers are united in this cause, does that mean we'll be rid of the hardcore racist/those who don't care and don't sympathize? LOL, they'll be mad and buy them anyways. Like they're going to miss out on their video games.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, ignoring them is the right approach. You're right about them buying regardless, if we listened to what people said on the internet about this kind of stuff you'd think these companies would be in a world of hurt

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
at this rate they really arent going to be able to enjoy anything lol. but its BS they will be buying all that shit its all empty.

ConfusedOwl

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I had a friend that was like this as well as both siding the protests. Emphasis on had. The less of these people around the better.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
As cynical as one can be about corporations releasing somewhat hollow statements of support for BLM and how they're just doing it for branding, it's positive that supporting BLM is the side everyone all at once decided was the place to be for their corporate image. The writing is on the wall and people posting stuff like this are just going to have nobody to support soon if they stick to what they're saying (they won't though).

Oct 25, 2017
It makes me so happy to see those comments for two reasons:

One: it pisses those folks off.

Two: when games continue to sell like crazy, maybe companies will realize they don't have to placate those shit heads at all.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
Too bad, the money they gave to those evil corporations that...promote the right to live for people unfairly targeted by systematic racism and violence...was already spent matching donations. Too bad. Get fucked, "gamers". Or buy some more gamea in a couple of months so that the companies can donate to the next cause that enrages you.

Cue the tiny violin.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
yeah it won't last

Honestly what surprises me most about these situations is that their point of view is almost uniformly that of the villains in the works of media they enjoy so much

Granted some franchises have a history of maybe glorifying it (Star Wars making most Empire stuff look "cooler" than the Rebel side) but like... C'mon. This isn't a new internet-fueled perspective.

If I were making media that was so fundamentally misunderstood by these people I don't think I'd want them engaging with my products in the first place.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being the type of person who boycotts a company because they denounced systemic racism. You're a garbage human being and I hope you actually follow through with your silly threats, racist.

Oct 27, 2017
Along with their messages of support, I wish the likes of Sony, MS, etc would also say "We don't want your custom if you took issue with those supporting BLM". Let them know they are not welcome.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
How many of them bots just looking to sow division?

I legit think they are being real. I've seen in the past, so much talk that when a company decides to do something like that, they vow they will bounce and "import from Japan" or "pirate" or whatever. Whether they stick to it, who knows. People all like "oh great now where do I play games?" (I wonder if Steam will say something so they don't need to bring up PC...) That's a choice they made. The anime fandom? Oh boy.... But many of those people do not purchase products anyways, so it's not like they are really affected.

Lots of responses are like "do you even pay attention to the stories in your games?" Same with a lot of anime. Many usually have a message in them...

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
It really fires me up, but what I try to focus on is the fact that these people seem to be a vocal minority.

As an example, the PlayStation 5 delay announcement tweet has a total of 18.1k replies, many of which are people complaining about the delay and Sony getting "political" etc etc etc.

It seems like a lot, until you look at the fact that the same tweet also has over half a million likes. It's extremely frustrating reading these dumb replies, and I think you could definitely argue that those who support BLM should be louder. But it's still comforting to know that these loud haters don't represent the majority.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It'd be cool if they just fucked off forever and we never heard from them again in gaming communities.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
The minute the PS5 is unveiled and a new Zelda trailer drops, I'm sure they'll be asking their moms for the cash.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Bands that I'm a fan of - like Thrice or Circa Survive, have made statements and pledged money to important non profit groups that support poc. These posts are peppered with comments from people claiming to be "disappointed" or "I liked you before you became SJWs".
This is one is even better since both bands have roots in hardcore to some degree. You know, the genre pioneered by a band who has a song called "Nazi Punks Fuck Off".

I've seen the same comments in the metalcore scene and it blows my mind how some people can listen to a genre that actively despises them and is anti-authoritarian by design. I guess they think Native Blood is just a killer breakdown and not about the plight of the Native Americans.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
It's actually gut wrenching. Even from people i didn't expect it from. Like family............
My response: "Sorry man, i din't realise that me being against racism would hurt your feelings so much. I hope you can forgive me".